User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dinner for Three -- 7/2 -- Evening -- Orchid Palace -- Lily/Lex.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dinner for Three -- 7/2 -- Evening -- Orchid Palace -- Lily/Lex.

“Lady Liliana you look so beautiful. That shade of green is perfect for your hair.” A voice rang out and Lily smiled at herself a bit awkwardly in the mirror. She wasn’t sure how to react at this moment. She had not been this dressed up for a dinner in over a year since she had been home for her celebratory dinner for when she and Nolana had returned home from Kirkland. She was so use to wearing old working dresses and torn up aprons for her gardening, however, she was home now. Having the access to her favorite dresses and gowns, Lily knew how important this dinner was.

Nodding her head of approval, “This looks wonderful thank you. Do you think Mother and Sir Caldoran would approve?”

“Yes.” Both women chorused their opinions and Lily smiled trailing her hand across the beautiful green necklace that complimented her dress perfectly. Gazing at the clock, it was close to six in the evening and dinner was served at six sharp every evening. That was how the schedule was when their father was alive and even though he was gone, their mother had insisted on keeping the schedule perfect. Just like he would have wanted and if Lily knew her mother, their meal would be over the top. She would have the chefs prepare anything that was proper for a Knight. Poor Lex, she smirked at herself a bit before fixing her hair that was down flowing in curls past her shoulders. Letting out a soft sigh, she smiled before heading out of her bedroom chambers and down a corridor towards the guest bedrooms. She knew exactly where Lex was located and she carefully knocked on the entrance of the first chamber on her right that faced their conservatory and lavish gardens.

“Lex? It’s Lily, dinner is about to be served. Are you ready?!” She asked curiously stepping away from the door and straightening out her long dress that was a dark shade of green with black embroidery all around it making it shine. As she glanced out the window towards the front gardens, she sighed in content at being back home. After spending months enclosed in the Hebron gardens and conservatory consumed with work, it felt amazing to be home once again.

House Caldoran Lexington Caldoran's Avatar  

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone had been sent to dress for dinner at the same time, and while Lexington had acquiesced with the expectations of his hosts, it had only taken him a few moments to get ready. He'd spent the rest of his time looking out the window; as was to be expected, the grounds of Orchid Palace were stunning. He'd thought about writing to his brother, to let him know they'd arrived and that all was well, but even as he'd moved to gather the supplies for such an activity he'd lost interest. Later tonight he'd write. For now, he just wished to enjoy the view.

The knock at his door brought him out of his quiet meditation, and he straightened any wrinkles on his shirt on his way to the door. Opening it with a smile, he made a little bow before stepping out into the hallway with her. "Of course." He took a moment to admire her dress, a smile on his face, before he offered her his arm. "You look lovely, Lily. Would you like to lead the way?"

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lily had always been proud to show off her family’s hard work over the decades yet there was something different about this particular trip. Lexington knew of what she and her family were famous for. He knew how hard they worked to make every centimeter of their land beautiful and yet she still wanted to impress him. As she stood there facing the gazebo in the middle of the gardens, she couldn’t help, but still feel nervous. She had brought a man home to meet her mother with first, way before Nolana. Her sister was beyond happy for her, she was confident of that, but she wanted her mother to like Lex. Although her mother had insisted that she liked him already, dinner would be the crucial moment. Her mother would probably question him like no other in lieu of her father and brother, but Lily hoped that Lex wouldn’t be too intimidated by it.

She turned around when she heard the door creak open and she smiled back at Lex who appeared in front of her free of his uniform and into comfortable looking clothes. She blushed a bit at his compliment and accepted his arm, looping her arm through his, “I thank you for the kind words, outside of your uniform, you look handsome as well. I do not think I have seen you without your armor and uniform.” She replied with a grin as she lead him down the hallway and down the stairs taking one step at a time. As she reached the very bottom step, she tripped a bit on the edge of her dress. Gasping, she found herself falling forward, but was caught rather quickly. How embarrassing!

Lily turned to see Lexington staring at her and she flushed, “I am fine. It’s been such a long time since I’ve worn elegant dresses like this. Normally I wear work dresses and dirty aprons.” She explained with a small smile trying her best not to be embarrassed as they headed down the hallway towards the dining room. When they entered, Lily found her mother waiting for them and turned to give them both bright smiles. She walked over to them and hugged them both lingering a bit more on Lexington and when she released him, Lily smirked a bit at her mother’s wink and smile.

“I hope you two enjoyed a silent afternoon and are ready to eat. It’s a feast of your return Lily!”

“Mother you didn’t have to go so…overboard.” Lily groaned a bit as she sat down on her mother’s left side after he pulled out her chair for her, “Thank you.” She murmured to Lex as he sat down as well. The servants began setting plates in front of them.

“Overboard? Liliana I never go overboard!” Seria scolded a bit before smiling at them as she took a sip of her wine.

Lily sighed, “I forgot to warn you about that, my mother…well she goes overboard when excited. My apologies.” She whispered to Lex with a chuckle ignoring her mother’s stares as the soups were served.

“So Sir Lexington, how long have you been a Knight of Dawn?” Seria asked curiously before taking a sip of her vegetable stew.
    Last edited by Liliana Gyrtner; 12-31-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a smirk, Lex nodded his thanks in response to Lily's compliment. He supposed it was true that she hadn't seen him outside of what he wore while he was on duty. What he wore now wasn't fancy, not by any stretch of the imagination. But it all fit well and was in good shape, and that had to count for something. It felt odd to not have a sword at his belt; the absence of weight almost had him feeling off balance, but that was just a hallmark of how much he'd been working of late.

As Lily tripped, Lex reached forward, stepping quickly so that he might catch her if she fell, but thankfully she was able to catch herself in time. "It must be nice to be able to leave the work wear behind," he commented, noticing her embarrassment and not wishing to draw more attention to her stumble. After all, if he felt some sort of relief at being able to leave the uniform behind, surely a woman as pretty as Liliana would be overjoyed to be able to wear some of her finer things again.

Upon their arrival, he greeted Lily's mother and saw them both to their seats. For only three people it was quite a spread, and he smiled as Lily whined at her mother. Theirs was an endearing relationship, from what he'd seen, and he could easily tell by watching Seria where Lily had gotten much of her personality from.

"No need for an apology," he whispered back, amused to keep up the charade that their conversation was one which Seria couldn't hear. "It's completely reasonable to splash out a little to welcome home a daughter who helped save hundreds, if not thousands, of lives." He smirked, wondering if Lily would try to refute his compliment or call him out for technically taking her mother's side. In situations like this he'd always found it best to take a neutral position; getting between two women was never a good idea.

Looking up as Seria spoke to him, he had to stop and think for a moment to ascertain the answer. "For a week or two less than King Cailen has worn the crown," he said, a bit of astonishment in his tone as he realized just how long it had been. He had been knighted just a few days after the tournament which had ended so poorly, and that had been in celebration of Cailen's coronation. It was hard to believe that it had been that long. "It's an honor I'm still not sure I'm worthy of, but one for which I have trained nearly my whole life." He'd always been destined to be a knight; there had been so many Caldorans that it had been the only real option for the twins, if they wanted to be productive in any way. Now things were different, and sometimes he wondered what would have happened if they hadn't been Knights of Dawn. Would they have left Hebron, to go back to their home and pick up the pieces there? It was impossible to know.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Very nice, I have found that I have missed the lovely gowns that Mother made for me when I was younger compared to the work dresses and dirty aprons. I am confident that you feel the same regarding your uniform. A part of me doesn’t recognize you without the armor, but I do like it. I like seeing this side on you, not on duty and relaxed.” Lily told Lex with a smile as they headed inside of the large dining room. It was surrounded by plants and painting of foods and plants, Lily remembered the day her mother had purchased them and how displeased their father was.

Smirking a bit at the memory, she watched as Lexington sat next to her and their soup was brought out first. Soup first, then a salad and then the main course whatever that was going to be, she thought to herself. Dessert was always offered, but declined at how full they were. However for this evening, Lily would make sure that she made room for it. No matter what, she thought to herself.

Lexington leaned over to respond to her apologies and she knew she was blushing furiously. He had always been so kind to her and his words only made her smile. As much as she knew he was being polite, she also knew deep down that he truly meant them, “I am not the only one who has done that, but thank you. You have also saved thousands of lives as well. I’m very proud of you and honored to call you a friend and a man that I trust wholeheartedly.” She whispered back to him with a bright smile as everyone began eating their soup and Seria noticed how happy Liliana was. She smiled at the pair of them whispering and smiling at one another. If this continued, it wouldn’t be long until she received the news of their betrothal. As long as Lily and Nolana were happy, nothing else mattered to the mother of two lovely, accomplished daughters.

As she listened to Lexington’s words about being a Knight, Seria opened her mouth to correct him, but Lily had turned to him suddenly, “Of course you deserve the honor Lex and are worthy of your post. If Sir Guy and the Knights didn’t trust you then you wouldn’t be the personal bodyguard of Her Royal Highness. You deserve so much happiness and honor.” Lily told him with a genuine smile blushing once more before returning to her soup.

Seria smiled, “Lily is correct Sir Lexington in all aspects, I am certain that no matter your post you are worthy of it. It would be an honor to be in the presence of the royal family at all times. When Lord Chelan and Her Royal Highness visited Devonshire after those horrible storms, they were nothing, but wonderful and respectable. King Cailen has proved himself to be a wonderful, kind, gracious King who will do anything to serve his people and I think people forget that. Also in that group are the knights that help protect them, you do deserve that honor. Onto another subject, a happier one, Lily told me you have a twin brother who is also a Knight. How is that like?” Seria asked curiously with a smile. She was more than curious to see how her daughter and this man interacted in a new environment.
    Last edited by Liliana Gyrtner; 01-14-2014 at 05:17 PM.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lexington smiled as the women went out of their way to assure him he was deserving of his job. "Thank you, both of you. It's certainly an honor and a great responsibility to serve the crown, but it's made all the easier because, as you say, they are such gracious, friendly people." It was terribly kind of them, especially Seria, who had only a few moments' first hand knowledge of him and his character. He could certainly see where Lily had gotten much of her personality from; she and her mother seemed almost exact copies of one another. It got him wondering then whether the differences he'd observed between Lily and her sister Nolana meant that the older of the two of them took more after their father. Perhaps the answer would become apparent as time went on.

As the topic shifted to Larson, Lex couldn't help but grin a little. "It's worked out quite well, actually. Since we're so close we work very well together, and it's an incredible thing, especially in our line of work, to have someone with you that you can trust so fully, without question." He stopped there, lest he go into more detail and start telling stories which would be inappropriate for ladies' company.

"When we were young they tried to keep us apart as we trained, thinking that we would be a distraction to one another, but it turned out we worked better together than separately, so we were together for the duration after that. Actually, this work as Knights of Dawn has seen us separated more than we have been in a very long time. We still technically live together, of course, but with our specific postings we rarely keep the same schedule or see one another more than a moment in passing in the hallways."

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lily smiled brightly at Lexington’s gracious words thanking both of the red-headed stubborn women in front of him. Her mother would be more than impressed with him, yet Lily herself how wonderful he was with both his words and his actions. She told him enough that he deserved everything he ever wanted and he had always given her a warm smile in return. That warm smile melted her heart most of the time and she blushed whenever he did so. His words were well spoken and Lily finished her soup before the servant grabbed it.

“Thank you.” She murmured as everyone finished their soup and the main course of roast beef, potatoes and freshly cooked vegetables from their gardens were served. The Gyrtners grew their own food as well and her father had insisted that they eat food that they grew themselves which was very nice. She took a sip of her wine as her mother and Lexington began speaking once more smiling the entire time. Pushing her hair behind her ear, Lily smiled as she cut up a piece of her meat carefully chewing on it before swallowing gently.

“I have heard that twins have this amazing bond, more than normal siblings do. I mean Nolana and Lily were inseparable when they were younger and I remember when Nolana left to finish her schooling and training, Lily was devastated. She’d miss her sister so much and Aspen did as well. I’m sure it applies to you and Sir Larson as well. As a mother, it’s wonderful to see all of your children growing up so close and continuing that as adults. I am proud of all of
    my children and so was their father.”

“Mother…” Lily whispered shaking her head not wanting to get emotional during a lovely dinner.

“I apologize for that Lily; I did not wish to make you upset or sad.” Seria said and Lily nodded.

“I know, anyways yes Sir Larson is the King’s personal bodyguard and he also helped arrange for Lexington to join us. We were a bit sneaky I’m afraid, but I am glad we succeeded.” She commented giving Lexington a smile and a small wink before going back to her meal.

“You have always been a bit sneaky Liliana, do not try and hide it, but I am grateful that you did as well. It’s been so nice to have company come out this way that is not business related. You both deserve a break from the madness up in Hebron and this week can be very relaxing if you wish it to be.” Seria told them with a smile.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lex tucked into his dinner, listening attentively to Seria as she spoke of Lily and Nolana as children. It seemed an endearing story, and a harmless one, but Lily did not seem to take kindly to it. Whether it was embarrassment or something else, he wasn't sure, but he averted his eyes to give the women a tiny bit of privacy while the small conflict resolved itself. He knew how uncomfortable it was to have a guest staring while something was privately resolved, so he simply carried on with his dinner until Lily returned to the subject of Larson.

Smiling, he nodded, also glad that the two had succeeded in their plot. "You're right that we miss one another greatly when we're apart, Lady Gyrtner, but I'm quite glad he and Lily managed to arrange things. As much as it's odd to not have him around, it's desperately nice to have a break away from the capital. And it's easier being away from him now than it was when we were kids...now I can appreciate the break from him." He chuckled, obviously very fond of his twin even if he joked about enjoying the separation.

"I'm looking quite forward to remembering how to relax," he said, smiling. "I'm not sure Liliana believes I know how to at this point, and I'm beginning to share her opinion."

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not being able to hide the blushes that seemed to returning to her face constantly, Lily quickly found a way to remain silent for the time-being. Her dinner suddenly became very appealing and she began eating her roast finding herself incredibly hungry again. As she chewed on the food slowly and gently, she listened to her mother talk more about the sisters growing up. She didn’t mind the stories, but most of them always included Aspen and it was very difficult to hear their stories with him right now. His death was still fresh in their minds and Lily swallowed the lump in her throat that was forming to keep herself from not getting upset. Not right now, she told herself mentally, not in front of her mother and not in front of Lex. Not again.

Lily changing the subject back to Lex’s twin was a good idea and it pleased her to see Lexington smile again and not have his routine revolved around his duty to the Princess. As much as she knew that he enjoyed his work, he also needed the time to relax and take some well deserved time off. Larson had agreed with her immediately and when he had helped her with the arrangements, she had been more than grateful. She had always liked Larson, but she liked him even more after he had come to her with the final arrangements. She remembered him teasing her about how much she liked Lexington and he had been quick to assure her that Lex had felt the same about her.

She chuckled and gave him a sweet smile, “I know Nolana and I are not twins, but we are siblings and I feel the same. I love her, but we do need our own space every now and then. I am more than grateful for Larson’s help, but it was you who made that final decision to come along. I’m very glad you did Lex, you will love it there. I assure you, there is no agenda or schedule, this week is for the both of us to get away from our work and to enjoy the time we have here. I believe you can relax, but simply not accustomed to it.” Lily teased him with a grin before going back to her food.

Seria smiled at the interaction between her daughter and her guest, if she would have her way, then there would be a wedding soon, “Do you have any questions for us Sir Lexington regarding anything that you would need in the castle? Anything and everything is at your deposal, whatever you want, we can arrange. I’m sure Lily will show you the gardens and conservatory at one point.” She said teasing Lily once more who simply chuckled while nodding her head gently.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lex nodded as Lily talked about the bond between she and Nolana; he was fairly sure all siblings experienced the same thing, a need for space every so often. The only people he'd ever known who hadn't had been Kellan and Kellavyn...but then, they had been the exceptions to many rules. As Lily went on to speak of Larson, and his involvement in Lexington's surprise vacation, Lex couldn't help but smirk. This was perhaps the biggest secret that one of them had kept from the other in a long, long time.

Truthfully, although he would never let Lily even get the suspicion he thought as much, he was still unsure that coming along with her to Devonshire was a good idea. The state of affairs in Hebron right now...things were still shaky, and he couldn't help but feel like his place was there. Yes, he was getting severely worn down, but they all were, weren't they? What made him so special that he was allowed a break? But there was nothing for it, and nobody could ever know his doubt. He was, despite his guilt, incredibly thankful that he was allowed to be here, and he was going to make the most of it. There was absolutely no shadow of uncertainty, not a single hint of doubt as he grinned back at Lily as she teased him.

Considering Seria's question for him carefully, after a moment he shook his head. "I can think of nothing I'd require that hasn't already been seen to," he said truthfully. "It would be wonderful to see those things which make your family famous, but there is certainly time enough for that." There was, in fact, one particular thing he wished to see done this week, since he was given such a golden opportunity, but he couldn't speak of it. Not yet, at least. There was still some planning to be done, but soon enough his secret would be revealed.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lily swore she could feel herself blushing like a tomato every time Lexington smiled at her. The more time she spent with him the more she realized how easy it could be for her to have romantic, strong feelings for him. Shaking her head at the silly, ridiculous idea of him ever having the same mutual feelings for her, she couldn’t let herself get too attached to the idea. Lex was nothing like any man she had ever met before. He was beyond wonderful and he deserved someone more successful or even prettier.

She had to snap out of this mood otherwise her ever wise, observant mother would deduce her in front of him and how embarrassing would that be, she was confident of that. She smiled at the pair of them before finishing her dinner feeling full. She couldn’t believe how hungry she actually had been and there was her mother’s famous cherry tarts coming out for dessert. Running a hand through her hair that was down for the moment, she sighed a bit hoping that she would be able to skip out on dessert for fear of exploding in her dress. As she stared at Lex, she smiled at his genuine smile towards her home and her remaining family. Father and Aspen would hopefully had approved of her friendship towards the Knight and she hoped that one day she would have the same love radiating towards the man whom she would be expected to marry.

Accepting the small tart from the servant, Lily smiled and took a small bite before the rest of the meal resumed.

“I am truly sorry for ending this lovely meal so early, but I have worked all day in the conservatory and it is catching up to me.” Seria announced standing up followed by Lily raising her eyebrows at her mother.

“Mother are you sure? You shouldn’t be working all day out there.”

“Nonsense Liliana, you know I would enjoy it. I need the time away from everything to think and you know it. Have a good evening and see you both in the morning for breakfast. Sleep in and take all the time you need Sir Lexington, however, Lily dear half past eight sounds sufficient.” Seria said hugging both of them and kissing Lily’s cheek gently before disappearing up the stairs towards her chambers.

Letting out a breath, Lily smiled and turned towards Lexington, “Well you have survived the first evening, congratulations. What my mother says it’s true, you are not obligated to join us for meals, but we always have a schedule for meals. Half past eight for breakfast, one o clock in the afternoon for lunch and half past six in the evening for supper. You are more than welcome to join us, but if not that’s fine as well,” She said with a smile before glancing at the clock. The night was still young, “Would you like a personal tour of the castle? I can show you some of my favorite rooms.” She asked curiously with a smile.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The entire meal was one of the best Lexington could remember having had in ages. Everything was delicious, from the first to the last, and the knight was left feeling full and content as the last of the dishes were cleared away. He tried to remember when last he'd had the luxury of a leisurely meal like this, without the need to return to work looming over him, but for the life of him he couldn't recall it. He supposed family dinners were just a thing to be marked down on the list of sacrifices a knight must make for his chosen profession, but that just made the few opportunities he had all the more enjoyable.

He stood the moment Seria began to rise, showing respect for the lady of the house as she excused herself for bed. It felt odd, that she was so informal, hugging a guest she'd only just met, but it was also refreshing in a way, and served to make him feel even more welcome.

He couldn't help but grin at Lily's congratulations, chuckling at the idea that he'd just gone through some sort of test or ordeal. "I'll keep those times in mind," he promised, repeating them a few times in his head just to commit them to memory. A schedule was a hallmark of a well-organized family, and he could appreciate an orderly household. "If all the meals are that fine, though, I would be remiss if I let a single one pass by unattended."

A personal tour of the castle? Lex could hear his twin in his head, leering at him. While it was certainly true that sort of an invitation, when given from a certain sort of woman, held a different meaning, he knew full well Liliana's intentions were completely pure. "That would be wonderful," he said, smiling and offering his arm, that they might walk together as she showed him around.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooc: Okay I’m watching Beauty and the Beast as I write this and the library that Lily shows Lex is exactly like the one in the movie. Just a heads up.

As her mother escorted herself to her bedroom chambers, it was finally starting to make sense for Lily now. She had done this to give them more privacy, she knew her mother more than she ever let on. Both her and Nolana were almost identical to their mother in many ways and this was one. Seria had done this on purpose and a part of Lily was grateful for the alone time. As much as it could be interpreted as inappropriate, that never bothered her a single bit. The castle was so huge and there were times that Lily could be called to help work in the gardens. She didn’t want Lex to feel obligated to stay in his chambers all day long. He was free to roam around and relax.

Lex’s words about remembering the schedule of meals made her grin, “Like I’ve said before, there is no obligation for you to attend any meal. It’s just standard for the family. To answer your statement, they are normally not that extravagant, but my mother will do it all week to honor my return and you as our guest. So don’t feel overwhelmed, we spoil our guests because we want them to return.” Lily replied teasing a bit with a laugh.

She smiled at him and looped her arm through his as she led him down the hallway corridor, “First we will start in one of my favorite rooms in the castle. It’s our library. It takes a fourth of the castle downstairs believe it or not. If you wish to find me, if I am not outside, then I will be here, I promise you.” She told him with a smile as she opened the double doors and escorted him inside. Covering every inch of the walls were shelves filled with books to the brim. Lounge chairs were placed around the large fireplace in the middle of the library. Two large bay windows were open exposing themselves to the outside world. She let go of Lex’s arms and placed her hand in his gently before tugging him the room more.

“Isn’t this amazing? You may borrow any book that you wish.” Lily told him with a big, genuine smile as she spun around showing off the books.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lex listened as she led him, chuckling at the description she gave. A library that takes up a full quarter of a floor? It seemed too large to imagine. This castle wasn't at all small, and that many books, no matter how slowly amassed, would have cost a fortune. If she truly wasn't exaggerating, then it would almost seem a waste that such a large trove of knowledge was kept almost secret. There were bound to be plenty of scholars who would give their right arm for access to such a thing.

And yet as the doors opened, Lex saw clearly that she wasn't exaggerating. A fireplace in the center, its chimney piercing through the huge empty space above it, and books wherever the eyes could linger. "It really is amazing," he said, slightly in awe. He didn't even know where to begin to investigate a room like this, lit now only by the plethora of candles and sconces that were carefully placed so as to pose no danger. "I don't think I've ever seen this many books in one place in my life."

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not trying to be smug, Lily smiled genuinely at Lexington’s response to the library. It was the typical response that any visitor had. He seemed to be very pleased with everything and that made her incredibly happy. This was her absolute favorite room out of all the rooms in the castle and outside in her work zone. She spent endless hours in there both as a child and as an adult. She couldn’t count how many times her parents, Aspen and Nolana had to literally drag her out of there. She would hate them until her father had shown her hands up in the air and let her take the books to her bedroom chamber to finish reading.

“The library is divided into various sections and if you need any help, your best bet is to track down myself or my mother. We both know this library inside and out and the servants only know so much since this room is normally always locked. They have access to it when asked, but we are reluctant to keep it open all the time because last time we did that, we were almost burglarized. Thieves dressed as noblemen or scholars would come up with an excuse to see the library and then try and escape with the expensive books to make some money. It’s sad, but true. Here.” She said walking over to a bookshelf close to the fireplace and taking a book from the shelf. She coughed from the dust and opened it up revealing a couple set of keys inside. Grabbing one and placing the book back on the shelf, she made her way over to him.

“Here just in case you really want to come in and you can’t find me. I know the castle and grounds are huge. I just need it back before we go back otherwise my mother might get cross at me.” Lily said with a smile handing him a brass key, the one that would allow him access to the library anytime he wanted.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His eyes still roaming the vast space, Lexington reflected on the almost tragic fact that this much knowledge was locked away for the use of only a very small number of people. It was a case of a few bad eggs ruining things for everyone, but it was impossible to ignore the number of good honest people who would benefit from access. Did anyone now even know this was here? Or were all these books destined to sit on their shelves, the vast majority of them untouched for years?

Reaching out, he took the key gingerly, smiling at her. "Thank you. I'll be sure to return it promptly before we leave...I'd hate to be the reason you got in trouble with your mother." He had never really been a bookworm himself, but with a library like this he was sure he could find things that would interest him. Just making a round of the room would take the better part of a day.

"I can see how you could lose yourself for hours and hours in a place like this."

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As she placed the key into Lex’s hand, Lily’s hand lingered in his for a moment longer as they smiled at one another. She kept telling herself that she was being ridiculous, but right now and at this moment in time, they were actually alone more than just friendly strangers now. She really liked him and it would take a lot for her to change her mind unless something happened. He continued to smile at her and then she released her hand placing it back against her side once more.

Glancing around Lily smiled and let out a sigh before heading towards the door, “Do not worry about my mother’s reaction. She will probably not mind so much since she has met you and know that you will not go out and make copies and give them to everyone you know. She really does approve of you, I can tell. I haven’t seen her smile so much since my brother and father passed away. Both deaths have hit the family hard but no more than my mother. So it was wonderful to see her so happy to see us and enjoy the company of others again.” She said with a smile and she knew that it was probably a really good time to keep continuing with the tour.

“I know I wish I could never leave here, however, we should continue with the tour before it gets too dark outside. Plus…there’s something I want to share with you. However I will warn you I could get emotional and if I do, feel free to drag me away.” She said with a sweet smile before looping her arm through his as they exited the library with Lily locking the door behind her.

They headed outside and Lily pointed out various plants and flowers before she took a deep breath and turned a corner. She had never been alone with anyone else out here besides Nolana and their mother. It was something private. She led Lexington through an arch and then turned suddenly. There in front of them were the resting places of her father and most recently her brother Aspen. She walked over and ran a hand across both of their headstones.

“I use to find peace here Lex, now all I find is sadness. I just wish that we could have saved Aspen in time. My father once told me that when you visit graves and cemeteries that you should always leave the sadness and negativity behind you because they were at peace now. They were not in any kind of pain or heartache anymore and I know that there are in a better place now however I still miss them. I feel a bit empty without them here. Seeing that you have met my mother and Nolana, I wanted you to meet the men in the family. They would have liked you as well.” She spoke softly holding onto his arm tightly hoping that she wouldn’t break down soon. Last time she had been fine here, however, things and events had changed.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As they walked outside, Lily's ominous words still in his ears, Lexington couldn't help but admire the peace that seemed to settle over this place in the evening. The rustling of leaves in the breeze, the sound of crickets, it all provided a lovely restful sort of calm. It was the sort of thing that he could get used to, if ever given the chance. What he remembered of summer nights at home were much the same, although perhaps a bit more sinister. Bigger dangers hid in the forest than could be contained in a field of flowers.

Turning the corner, Lex found himself confronted with the graves of Lily's family. Neatly kept plots, crowned with noble stones. He listened to hear speak, reminded of the conversation they'd had before about the guilt she pressed onto herself about Aspen's death. He had warned her that such a thing was not only detrimental to her, but that it could easily poison her memory of her beloved brother. It sounded like she still carried some of that guilt, but he hoped with time she would work through it. He had seen too many people tarnish the memory of people they loved by somehow convincing themselves that the death was their fault.

"Your father sounds like he was a wise man," he said quietly. "I wish I could have met them." He put his free hand over hers, a hopefully comforting gesture. He wished he could help her with her grief; mourning was a different process for everyone, but he could only hope that Lily would soon reach the point where thinking of her father and brother wouldn't bring her to the verge of tears. After all, he'd been told many times that the people who pass on would never wish to see their loved ones sad, and it was a better tribute to their memory to be glad for the time that had been spent.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Letting out a sigh of contentment, Lily knew that the feeling of relaxation and being at peace wouldn’t last for long. It was entirely her own fault she thought to herself knowing that once she lead him to the graves, that things would never be the same. Lex had warned her a long time ago during their picnic that dwelling too much on their deaths is not healthy for her and she knew he was exactly right. However this was something she wanted to show him because it was such an important part of her life right now.

She smiled, “Hi Bubs, hi father.” She whispered softly as she found herself standing in the middle of both of their tombstones. A single tear fell down her face and she shook her head wiping it away hearing her father and brother’s words telling her not to be upset right now. Letting out a sigh, she grabbed a hold of Lex’s hand and squeezed it gently letting him know that she was grateful that he was there right now.

“I’m sorry.” She apologized softly to him, but also to her family as she collected herself giving Lex a comforting smile at his words, “They would have really liked you and your brother. For the longest time when he was younger, Aspen wanted to become a Knight. He begged my father for months to get him a sword and teach him what he knew and the first time that happened, Aspen broke his wrist and he never wanted that again. I remember that day very well….I didn’t mean to laugh, but it was funny to see him like that when everyone told him he was crazy. Typical siblings I know, but you had to have been there.” Lily explained with a small smirk as she blew a kiss to the air and lead Lex away from the graves down a separate path towards the large conservatory in the middle of their gardens. Soon it would be dark and the conservatory lights would shine brightly and it was a beautiful sight.

“Would you like to see the conservatory? It’s been in my family for many generations.” She asked him curiously with a smile glad for the change of scenery.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Listening to the tale from Lily's childhood about her brother and his ambitions toward knighthood, Lexington's eyes came to rest on the stone that now bore Aspen's name. He knew a little about Lily's brother, but only basic things; hearing a story like this helped flesh him out in his mind, providing a personal touch to the memory. "Some lessons are learned the hard way," he said with a chuckle. "Too bad, though; he sounds like a man I would have been honored to serve beside." Either way, though, it seemed Aspen had found his true calling in the family's business.

"I would love to," he said, gesturing that she might lead when she was ready. "I'm keen to see where your family has worked their magic for so long." He turned and cast one last thought to the humble graveyard, silently promising those that lie within that he would take care of Lily as best he could. He spoke nothing, though, and gave no hint about his thoughts; but, if Aspen and Lord Gyrtner were listening, he hoped they had heard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast