User Tag List

Thread: More Than One Way to Crack an Egg [8/5, early morning, Delphia x Danny, Closed]

House De Angelis Danush De Angelis's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More Than One Way to Crack an Egg [8/5, early morning, Delphia x Danny, Closed]

Things were just getting started in the remodeling department as his sister seemed to take command with an iron will of enthusiasm. For the most part Danny let her boss him around on where he was most needed. Often times it was babysitting the Peregrine girls, taking turns with Dastan’s son, Ethan, along the way. As he sat down to a small dining table in his new chambers, the servant set down a plate in front of him looking a bit more nervous than usual.

“Thank you, Tanya.”

“Y-yer very welcome, M’lord.” She stammered out.

Taking a pause, Danny looked up and quirked a brow at her, “Everything all right?”

“Yes, M’lord!” Tanya said with great haste before she finally stopped and shook her head, “Actually, no, M’lord. The Peregrine girls…they weren’t too happy that yer family won’t have us make food for them no more.”

Ah, that’s what this was about. Danny knew that this hammer of equalization was about to come down soon. He had warned Delphia of the situation, but he wondered if she took heed to any of it. Little did he know that Tanya was about to answer his thought bubble for him.

“One of them came barreling into the kitchen just a moment ago.” She said nervously, “Makin’ all sort of messes. I don’t think anyone taught her nothin’.”

“Well she was nobility until a week ago. Did any of the Peregrines learn the basics of standard living during their leadership?”

“No, M’lord. I guess ye be right on that.”

He thought hard on what had been said and with a sigh he replied, “Go ahead and take this meal to Lord Dastan instead. I trust you haven’t made him anything yet since he’s just waking up.”

“Ye be right, M’lord. But…what are ye gonna do?”

“I’m going to try and solve your kitchen issue for the moment.” He replied steadily as he covered the plate back up and walked away, “Good day.”

===============

Making his way down the steps, he could hear the clanking and clanging of pots and pans along with a few choice words that were anything but lady-like. With a bit of piqued curiosity Danny made his way into the kitchen to find Delphia swarmed with all sorts of random things. The wooden stove burning things over as it appeared she was making a gallant mess of things with nothing to show for any of it.

For a second he had to stand there and smirk in amusement as he watched her try. “Didn’t think I was serious about my brother cutting the three of you off? I assume that Veronica put you to the task on this yourself so that she could dodge her new duties?”

Walking up to the catastrophe, Danny gave an impressed whistle as he saw things strewn everywhere with failed attempts and worse.

House Peregrine Delphia Peregrine's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She heard his voice behind her and turned around to glare at Danush De Angelis. Holding a cast iron pot in her hand she gestured with it as she set her jaw to the side. Delphia had her free hand on her hip and ignored the fact that the pot behind her was boiling over.

"If I didn't think you were serious I wouldn't be down here, number one. Number two Veronica plans to use her feminine wiles to feed herself, I however am not a prostitute."

Delphia wore a very plain dress to learn how to cook. She had very few good dresses left to her name and she would not ruin them. Hot water splashed onto the floor and onto the bare skin that was exposed on the tops of her feet and caused her to let out a yelp of pain and a few curse words her father had unintentionally taught her.

"I promised my sister I'd feed her." And as Del threw the pan back onto the wooden cutting board she hoped it went unsaid that her cousin would starve if she had any say in the situation. She looked back to Danush who had been leaning in the door way and narrowed her gaze. "And what are you doing here? Just here to say 'I told you so'? If so you've done it now please leave me."
    Last edited by Delphia Peregrine; 03-05-2014 at 06:29 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The proverbial claws came out the second Danny’s presence was known. Despite the obvious mess she was making, he had to admire her tenacity and spirit about conquering new endeavors. Once again that quip against her cousin didn’t go unnoticed, and he realized that Delphia was probably more alone in all of this then he essentially calculated. He couldn’t help but be slightly amused that Veronica was using feminine charm first to avoid chores.

“To be perfectly honest, I didn’t even know she had any charm.” He quipped back candidly as he began loosening the cuffs to his shirt and rolling up each sleeve to his elbows. During this time a splatter of boiling water leapt out at Delphia and the Peregrine girl spat curses the likes of which he hadn’t ever heard come from a woman’s mouth before. For a moment he just stood there with an eyebrow raised as he gingerly reached out and pulled her away from the boiling mess.

But a lot of that went unnoticed as she immediately took to slandering his presence as some sort of further taunting for her misfortunes. It ended with a curt demand for him to leave, and had he been any other man he would have done so. Instead he gave her a curious look before replying, “Well technically I came to give you some assistance, but if you would rather go at all of this alone…”

His glance swept through the entirety of the kitchen before returning to her as he waited for Delphia to make a further move or opinion on the matter.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She couldn't imagine why he was here and what on this earth he could have wanted but she was sure he was having a good time poking fun at her lack of cooking skills. She would have asked one of the women to help her but she knew better. Though it was not her father who treated them poorly the name Peregrine had a stigma of sorts growing from it. None of the servants would be caught dead helping her at this point and she knew better than to even ask.

"We can use the word 'charm' loosely." Delphia backed up to sit down on a stool and take off her shoe. Either she'd gotten used to the hot water upon her skin or it had cooled the second it met the bottom of her shoe. Her skin was bright red and she could not apply pressure without some pain as a result.

His comment got her to raise an eyebrow. "You. You're going to come in here and help me? What for?" She narrowed her eyes and concentrated on him and his rolled up sleeves. "Your family does not do things unless they expect something in return."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Danny watched as the Peregrine girl retreated to a chair to inspect the hot water wound inflicted upon her skin. However, it seemed paltry in comparison to the words she heard him speak to her. Both flabbergasted and suspicious, Delphia seemed less than sold on the fact that he was willing to lend a hand without payment in return. To that he could only shrug casually and then confirm her assumptions on the behavior patterns of his family.

“True.” He replied in affirmation. “I would expect payment in the form of a favor when I am in need of it from you. But on the flipside you should probably understand that if you don’t make yourself useful to the castle in quick time my brother will find a way to be rid of the three of you. Given that you hold no domestic skills yet, your only value to others would be a far less dignified path. I’m sure you have no love for your cousin, but you and your sister would probably not bode well in a brothel if I’m not mistaken?”

From here he secured his sleeves to his elbows and went over to the stove to adjust some of the settings. Grabbing a towel, he made quick work of dispatching most of the mess that Delphia had started and started fresh with a small pan, some eggs, and a slab of butter nearby. A quick twirl on the handle for flare and style, he set it down up on the flame and then turned about to watch and see what her response would be. “It’s your choice.”

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Her anger gave way to some sort of shame. Delphia slumped in her chair before putting her shoe back on and giving the De Angelis a nod. She didn't question him this time as she was quite sure he was right. There was no hope for her or Aloise if neither of them learned how to be useful. They would each need to learn their own skills so as they could stay under this roof and possibly not starve to death.

She wasn't entirely sure they would be safe even if they learned how to help out around the hold but their chances would be better.

"A favor. Alright. I can agree to that." After all if she could trust any of the De Angelis family it would be Danny. "So what are you doing there?" She pointed as she stood, favoring her burned foot, and slowly approaching him. "Teach away."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Delphia may have been a bit prideful but she was not stupid. The second he pointed out her possible fate she was quick to understand the imperative nature of her plight and that of Aloise as well. Knowing that Delphia was more of the type to think of others instead of just herself, the Peregrine woman agreed to the deal and Danny nodded in satisfaction that she was willing to do this for the sake of survival. After all, it was Veronica who had Artan murdered, not Delphia. It was also Alexandre who murdered his father, not Delphia. In war he was following orders, but now there was a chance to come to a mutual understanding.

As she hobbled up to join him, he took the frying pan in his left hand with a cloth between his skin and the iron so that he wouldn’t burn himself. Quickly he began to give instructions.

“The first trick is that you don’t want your wood burning too hot. If you cook too hot then you burn the food on the outside but it remains raw on the inside. If you find that things are burning too hot then pull the pan a bit further away from the fire like this…” Danny demonstrated and looked over to Delphia every once in a while to make sure she understood and didn’t appear confused. “We’ll start with an egg scrambled since those are the easiest to make. Start with some butter to grease the pan…”

Danny took the knife with a slab of butter and flicked it into the pan. Afterwards he set it on the flame and rolled it about waiting for everything to melt and coat evenly before moving on to the next step. Reaching over he grabbed an egg in his free hand and cracked it against the edge before manipulating his palm and his fingers to open the shell up without getting it mixed into the pan. “Now you try one in here. We’ll make two.”

Gesturing to the basket of eggs, he kept the pan off of the flame for now and waited for Delphia to try her hand at it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Delphia watched as he gave her instructions. It seemed easy enough, and even she could tell when something was burning. She watched him roll the pan around in a circle, making sure every inch of the iron was covered by the butter. His words made sense and she could easily see why he was doing what he did. "Scrambled eggs." She repeated as she reached into the basket and picked up the egg she wished to eat.

Shuffling over next to Danush she gave the egg a crack on the side of the pan as he'd done but when she released the inside bits into the butter she realized a bit of the shell fell in with it. "Dammit." She said and took a step back.

"Now what do I do?" She couldn't just reach in to grab it. Or could she? Stepping forward Delphia hovered over the pan and wondered if she could pop her fingers in quickly to retrieve it but decided it was best to let Danny tell her how to fix her mistake.

@Danush De Angelis