User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Road Full of Promise [9/4, early evening, Emma - OPEN]

House Beaumarche Emma Beaumarche's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emma watched Dorin step back from her, his face falling; and for a moment she looked at him, perplexed and a trifle admonished, as he stared back at her with feigned alarm. But as he mimicked his distrust of her, unsheathing his phantom sword, the Beaumarche girl gave her walking companion a bemused look -- her brow pinching together. What a peculiar man indeed. He lifted a blade of willow grass to wave in her general direction, before dropping his farce -- but Emma gave Dorin a slightly saddened, embarrassed look.

"Dorin Hunter, is there ever a moment where you are serious? Or do you enjoy this whimsical world you create?" she inquired then, a hint of laughter and slight exasperation in her voice. She could not help but inquire. He was... confusing.

But in the next breath, the Hunter lord held up a finger to his lips; and Emma stalled in her steps, her slippers brushing against her dress, her green eyes fixed on the man pausing before her. He seemed to look around him, searching; and Emma's eyes widened, waiting -- surprised she was even still entertaining this. And then --

Fireflies.

A tenuous smile lifted to Emma's lips; and then it emboldened, before her red lips parted to laugh; a clear sound. She squinted, unseeing this new faerie presence in the relative darkness just yet; but then a glimmer of gold contrasted in the sky, here, and then there. She wrinkled her nose, turning her face away from Dorin, watching as blinking lights began to fill the air intermittently. "Ruzbin's messengers," she said lightly, unthinking.
    Last edited by Dorin Hunter; 04-08-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Hunter was a little lost in the glory of it all. The blinking insects, a fitting mirror of the twinkling stars in the night sky, much like you could see the reflection of the skies on the still waters of a pond. The woman was only there because he knew her to be. For the briefest of moments, Dorin could see and feel nothing but the night. And there was an aloof smile on his face at the sight of it all.

When she spoke to him, he smiled. She was so much his tutors, pleading with him to pay attention. She was Gage Rivers, telling him how his daydreaming was going to get him cut down in his saddle. She was Hamilton, reminding him how important his mission was, and how he had to be on point.

Looking up at her, Dorin shook his head and closed the distance between them slowly, but with purpose. "Emma Beaumarche, is there ever a moment when you are not serious? Do you not enjoy this whimsical world I have created?" He wanted to reach out and touch her. To see if sparks flew to his fingertips from her skin. To feel the heat that her blushed cheeks were generating. But instead, he circled past her. He looked her over as though he were a castellan and she were a guardsman. Stopping behind her, Dorin leaned into Emma's ear and whispered. "Why not magic? Even if only for one night, Emma? Why not smile and dance, if there's no harm in it?"

Moving along, the knight held a hand out and watched as one of the creatures landed on his palm. He knew the consequences of his actions. Fireflies were beautiful, but their scent was not nearly as pleasant as their grace on the wind. Lifting his hand, he blew softly on the creature, prompting it back into the sky. Catching her instinctive words, Dorin nodded. "He blesses his faithful daughter," he said softly in response. Bending toward the ground, Dorin began to pick up kindling from the grass. "We should build a fire as tribute," he said without thought.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emma Beaumarche, is there ever a moment when you are not serious? Do you not enjoy this whimsical world I have created?

The woman in question frowned slightly, her brow creasing as she watched Dorin look back at her in the dim light, his easy smile almost mocking. She wanted to refute him; she had always prided herself in being above the dry trivialities of courtly life; sheltered, in so many ways, by living in the haven of the Valley. But in that moment, he was slightly correct, for she could not help but wonder how a man of his station carried on so lightheartedly, as if everything around him was a game. "I'm not --" she started, her expression pinched; realizing how demanding her words were before she stopped them. He moved to walk behind her then, and Emma only twisted her head slightly to watch him; annoyed, until suddenly he was upon her, his words hushed, his breath hot against her ear. Beside herself, Emma shivered; and smiled, against all reason, fidgeting beneath his scrutiny. She took a step away from him and then turned to face the Hunter lord.

Why not magic? Even if only for one night, Emma? Why not smile and dance, if there's no harm in it?

To this, Emma paused; tilting her head slightly to the side, her green eyes widening, an unwilling smile gracing her lips nonetheless, trying not to laugh. She moved to wrap her arms over her chest once more, and she shot the Hunter lord a daring look. "Because -- it's nearly nightfall, and we are walking in someone else's woods. And you -- you don't even know me," she countered, her words light and challenging. But he seemed not to be listening to her; and instead swooped down to start picking up sticks from the tall grass, bunching the kindling in his hands.

We should build a fire as tribute.

Emma laughed then, a bright sound, exasperated. She let go of her torso and moved to stand beside Dorin, her bare feet delicate upon the ground, reaching for his arm. "Lord Dorin, no, you can't just go building a fire, they'll think you a madman --" she said, bemused, trying to stall him. Suddenly, she felt like this man's protector; obligated to stall him from whatever whimsy struck him.
    Last edited by Emma Beaumarche; 04-09-2014 at 01:28 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "Time, Lady Emma," he said, not bothering to slow his collection of wood. "Time is on my side, in this and all other matters." He was young, and so was she by his estimation, and though the night might not be, he was not confined to the span of a single day. When he had gathered enough kindling to start a fire, he looked back to the path and to the lake. "I do not know you," he agreed with her, a smile still on his face. "But I have time for that as well."

When she reached for him, he stopped, raising his eyes to look at her oddly. It was as though Dorin had been shocked by her sudden willfulness. He, by her own admission, did not know her. But the reciprocal is also true, and thus far she had been reserved. So bold now to reach for him, to try to reason with him, when he was in fact completely sane. "If one calls another mad, they do him slander, or they believe it to be true. Which would it be in your eyes, I wonder?" His face was suddenly serious, as though by her desire to see him be normal, he had become just that.

Having his feet find the trail, he took a few steps in the direction from which they came. "Staring down death has an odd effect on an individual, Lady Beaumarche. When you are certain you are going to die, and then you don't, one of two things happens. Either you go mad," he said, making a face that implied a measure of insanity. "Or you find a new love of life. Would that I could have just loved life from the start. You still have that option."

Taking another step, he called over his shoulder to her. "I can start a fire. On the shore. And you are welcome to share it and speak with me, until we have remedied at least a part of my lacking knowledge when it comes to the women of Slate Valley. If you so desire."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emma realized her folly as quickly as she enacted it, reaching for this man she did not know, trying to stall his progress; but for some reason, it only felt wrong when he looked back at her, quizzical; a dark shadow flickering over his face. Not as inviting, as she remembered him being initially.

If one calls another mad, they do him slander, or they believe it to be true. Which would it be in your eyes, I wonder? Staring down death has an odd effect on an individual, Lady Beaumarche. When you are certain you are going to die, and then you don't, one of two things happens. Either you go mad. Or you find a new love of life. Would that I could have just loved life from the start. You still have that option.

He moved away from her then, and the Beaumarche woman did not deign follow; and instead relinquished her grasp to herself once more, wrapping her arms around her torso, a reaction of self-preservation; the light-hearted smile now faded from her mouth. He spoke in riddles; and perhaps in some facet, Dorin believed she might be able to read through them and understand -- but they were perplexing at best to Emma, his rapid changes from easy conversation to something darker, and far more elaborate. She didn't know what to make of him.

I can start a fire. On the shore. And you are welcome to share it and speak with me, until we have remedied at least a part of my lacking knowledge when it comes to the women of Slate Valley. If you so desire.

Suddenly, something about this invitation felt too real; and even as Dorin continued to gather kindling in his arms, calling back to her over his shoulder, Emma felt the distinct pull of the night breeze -- the sky swathed in darkness, the blanket pulled over the sky. Elliot would wonder; he would worry.

She took a tentative step backward, her arms still wrapped around her body, admonished. "I -- I shouldn't," she spoke simply, and clear; feeling abruptly out of sorts. She had let this strange walk go on for too long.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When the woman declined the offer to join him, Dorin couldn't pretend to be surprised. But even so, he could not mask the disappointment from his face as he nodded at her. The entirety of their walk had been full of miscues, missteps and misunderstandings, and Dorin was more than a little sad at Emma's coming departure. "I...understand," he said softly, and turned to begin setting the wood back down. Stacking the small timber neatly, Hunter made a mental note of where he was leaving it, just in case he should decide that he did want to build a fire later. Perhaps in the morning, as the sun was coming up.

"Sometimes I forget what it is like to have other obligations," he told her, a nervous smile on his face. It was a polite out that he was giving her, knowing that even if either of them had family on the trip, it was unlikely they should be needed at this hour. But he didn't know Emma Beaumarche from any other woman on the island, and had resolved not to jump to any conclusions.

Even before he could say goodbye, the events of the encounter were replaying in his mind. A fact that he found to be ominous. He would not sleep well this night. "I have enjoyed our walk, my lady. And I'm sorry if I've given you some offense." Surely, he had not intended it. It was more likely he had just pressed her too hard. Women were a mystery. Gage had once told him that even when they weren't, it was best to let them believe they were. His mentor had always allowed even the plainest of women to keep an aura of the exotic, even when it did not exist. Dorin hated him for a liar in those moments. But now, he wondered if it wasn't the sole difference between the Rivers lord's success and Hunter's own failings.

The truth shall set you free, he thought to himself. There was a knowing smile that drew across his lips. Free of any kind of companion, he added in his thought-ridden brain. Turning back to the woman, he bit the side of his lip. "I will walk you back as far as the gates, if that is alright."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I...understand. Sometimes I forget what it is like to have other obligations.

Emma's declining of his offer seemed to have dampened some of the Hunter knight's fervor; something that admittedly surprised the Beaumarche woman. She felt a trifle sad for it, but didn't not know how to voice such an apology, one she wasn't even sure was warranted; and thus the pair fell into an awkward moment of sheepish smiles and muted gestures.

I have enjoyed our walk, my lady. And I'm sorry if I've given you some offense. I will walk you back as far as the gates, if that is alright.

Emma bit at the inside of her lower lip. "No -- no offense at all, Sir Dorin, just -- just have to be on my way," she said gently, twisting her hands in front of her now; giving him only a partial lie. It seems she might have wounded him, somehow. Emma hated feeling obligated to another; but more, to know she might have caused a truly simple-hearted man some slight. She hesitated. "But -- I would be glad for you return company. If... you are sure I'm not taking you away from..." she said lightly, her words dropping off; gesturing with a hint of amusement towards his now neatly stacked pile of timber.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There was a small amount of relief in his eyes, even if her denial was only her being polite. Emma was a nice girl, and he was never going to be convinced that he hadn't simply come on too strong. Not with any intentions that could be construed as anything but noble, but still there was a sadness at the thought that he might have made her uncomfortable.

Looking down at the pile of sticks as she motioned to them, Dorin scratched the back of his head. "Not exactly a cottage on the lake," he confessed with a sheepish smile. He hadn't even realized that he had been so deliberate in his stacking. "But for fireflies and crickets, it will likely do."

Dusting off his hands, Dorin sighed lightly and moved to fall into step beside Emma. "Let us get you back," he said, not presuming to offer his arm. Something about the way she held her arms around her torso led him to believe that the woman valued her personal space, and his own reaction to her touch had obviously spooked her. Instead, the Hunter just walked for a few moments in silence, heading back towards Riverwatch.

After they had closed some distance without speaking, Dorin found himself fighting the urge to speak, and eventually decided to give up the struggle. "Perhaps," he said thoughtfully, unsure where he was going with the opening of the conversation. "Perhaps I could convince my cousin to allow me to come to the mountains," he said hopefully. "I know that he has serious intentions in opening our ties to the other families on Tuneric," he explained, knowing that he was doing a poor job of obscuring the fact that he had a personal agenda. "That is, if you were interested."

@Emma Beaumarche
    Last edited by Dorin Hunter; 05-31-2014 at 10:00 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us get you back.

Dorin seemed less reluctant to part with his makeshift wood pile than she had expected, and instead fell easily into step beside Emma; the pair setting off at a casual pace from whence they came. As he dusted his hands on his trousers, Emma was struck by how peculiarly different this evening had become. She had originally intended to take a brief walk, alone, barely past the river's edge; and yet here she was...

Perhaps...

Dorin's words broke the silence abruptly, that had settled with some ease between them; and Emma glanced over to her companion, her expression wistful as the night fell around her shoulders.

Perhaps I could convince my cousin to allow me to come to the mountains. I know that he has serious intentions in opening our ties to the other families on Tuneric. That is, if you were interested.

To this, Emma cracked a sleepy smile; the skin on the apples of her cheeks rising with red, warming. "If you were willing to make the journey all the way to the Valley, you would be assuredly welcome by my family, Lord Dorin. -- And me." She smiled, and then looked away, towards the path. It was a surprising inquiry, to say the least. "Of course, it is a bit... treacherous, this time of year. When do you think you would... be passing through?" she added gently, moving to tuck her hair behind her ear; shoes still dangling in one hand.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There was a boyish smile that returned to her lips when the woman added herself to her welcome after the fact. He was likely reading into it something that wasn't there, but he lowered his head to hide his blushing cheeks anyway. "My feet are steady and my sword arm is strong," he said. "I am sure I will manage, my lady." He wanted to thank her for her concern, but paused at going that far lest she read too much into it.

His foot kicked a stone as they walked back, and Dorin's eyes chased it into the taller grasses. The air was somehow heavier now, even though there was no threat of a storm. Perhaps it was just the drop in temperature that was committing humidity to the air. "I'm...unsure," he admitted somewhat hesitantly. "Lord Sheridan is having a gathering next month, but...Aston holds unpleasant memories. I am not sure I am ready to face them." It was an odd confession to make to a woman he barely knew, but Dorin hadn't really spoken about it to anyone. Perhaps he simply needed to hear it on the air.

Continuing, he finally let his head raise once more. "And I would be remiss to call at a bad time for you or your family," he said, as though trying to bring a little strength back to his voice. "Perhaps if there was a time that would be convenient for you...or your family, rather."

@Emma Beaumarche

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm...unsure. Lord Sheridan is having a gathering next month, but...Aston holds unpleasant memories. I am not sure I am ready to face them. And I would be remiss to call at a bad time for you or your family. Perhaps if there was a time that would be convenient for you...or your family, rather.

The playful surety had left the Hunter knight's voice and was now replaced with something more thoughtful and subdued, and although Emma found herself strangely liking this change, she wondered if she had said something to perturb him, perhaps in her request for departure; as Dorin seemed more at ease when bouncing about the path before her, his words swept up in riddles, making his face curve into a perpetual smile.

Emma's steps slowed, her dress catching here and there among the weeds the littered the pathway edges; and she looked sidelong at her companion, moving to tuck a lock of chestnut hair behind her ear with her free hand, the slippers still dangling from the fingers of the other. "I think we might be going to Aston, truthfully. It would be unfortunate to miss you." The words slipped beyond her lips without thinking, and then Emma's green eyes darted to the ground; realising how rude she was being, voicing displeasure at his abdication of such a gathering, when just moments before he had confessed no desire to go in the first place.

"But we will be back in the Valley shortly after, I am sure," Emma picked up her words yet again, forcing them forward; her eyes lifting from the ground to look ahead at the continuing path; chagrined. "With no further plans." It was left open after that, like the air between them. "I am sure my brother would love to meet you," she added abruptly, without reason.

-----
    @Dorin Hunter

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    “It would be unfortunate to miss you.”

The statement caused the knight to bite his lip pensively, an act to which he was not prone. There was a part of him that would be in a rush to see Emma again, if he thought such a prospect interested her. But was that part of him strong enough to win out against the part of him that dreaded the prospect of returning to the seat of his former friend and mentor. When he could feel the soft, steady beat of his pulse through the pulled flesh in his teeth, Dorin snapped back and shook himself free of the dilemma.

Finding his feet and looking down at them for a moment, he nodded. “And I him,” the man said to her. He was curious about the family dynamic in Slate Valley. Emma seemed so strong and confident, and Dorin knew that her brother Elliot was the lord of the Valley, but he wondered if their kin was as loosely organized as his own. Heavens knew that the Hunters were far and wide, and not really beholden to Hamilton as a rule. It was entirely possible in his mind that this was the same for Beaumarches, though he somehow doubted it.

As Dorin had said, he had never been to the mountain, and he was quite looking forward to the chance to visit. “I am interested in the landscape,” he told her, not sure that he didn’t sound aloof. “All the sights, really. Though I don’t want to be a burden.” Dorin was acutely aware that he had worn his welcome with Emma quickly tonight, and he would hate for her to feel obligated after inviting him. “Perhaps I will research some sites to visit so that I will not be under foot.”

Seeing the gates before them, Hunter sighed wistfully. “Here we are, Lady Emma. Safe and sound. I’d like to thank you again for the walk. I can’t tell you the last time I had such conversation,” he told her, feeling immediately like an ass for what he was sure was the most awkward of compliments.

@Emma Beaumarche

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12