User Tag List

Thread: I'm Not Prepared For This [ 8/18/217/backdated, noon, Marcus/Tatianna, open]

House Farrand-Calhoun Tatianna Farrand-Calhoun's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm Not Prepared For This [ 8/18/217/backdated, noon, Marcus/Tatianna, open]

In the hours before the Coronation, Tatianna was wandering around, feeling lost and unprepared for the life that was about to begin in earnest. She had dressed with Nataliah, talking with her sister and getting some much needed encouragement. Nat had been where she was and understood all the feelings that came with such a huge diversion of path. If Tatianna was honest, Mink-asa had given her a gift of life, instead of receiving her as was the custom. Why she had been spared, she did not know, but it was not for her to question the will of the Goddess.

Standing at the rail on one of the palace's verandahs, she looked over the city that spread before her. This was her home now, and she belonged here. Or so Tatianna tried to tell herself. Trembling fingers gripped the edge of stone, feeling the cool strength. Could she ever be so cool, so strong? She was not sure. True, she looked the part of a Princess of Balfour with the stiff, elaborate gown and her hair arranged, ornamented with jewels. But what did she know of what she needed to do or be?

Realizing how she sounded in her own head, Tatianna laughed softly. So many doubts left her unprepared, but Nataliah had told her she could do this. She could take time and fumble her way. No-one expected her to know everything she needed to. She was being foolish. Today was a grand day for Lochlan and Jacqueline, and she would meet King Cailen, who would be Nataliah's husband. Prepared or not didn't matter one bit. She would just be herself, hope for the best, and enjoy knowing how sweet life could be.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While most of his immediate family was looking to rub elbows here and there, Marcus decided to meander the grounds in search for anything of relative interest. It had been ages since he visited the royal grounds of Moorford Estates in any capacity. A lord of his breeding was an individual of inconsequential dealings for the most part. The second son of a second son held about as much clout as being the last of them all. Marcus’ company, for all intents and purposes, was merely for entertainment if anything at all.

As he made his way over to a region of multiple verandas, he noticed a young lass looking out into the distance, her fingers gripping the stones as though she were going to fall. White spread across her knuckles despite the calm demeanor on her face. Whatever was going on must have been heavily focused upon within her mind since she didn’t even react to his oncoming footsteps. Upon closer notice, he realized that he was looking upon the lovely visage of one of the Farrand-Calhoun royals. However he was uncertain as to which one he was looking at for the time being, so he would approach with general respect to her station for now until circumstances revealed her name.

“And what weighs your mind so heavily to make you want to grip the wall as though it is your only lifeline, dear Princess?” He asked with a gentle expression and quirk of his brow. Taking a few steps towards her, he leaned against the wall as he awaited for her response.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Her thoughts consumed her so much that it affected her hearing. She was startled when the smooth male voice broke into those thoughts, turning to stare at him like a wild doe confronted unexpectedly by a hunter. Tatianna did not flee like the doe, though. Blushing at being caught so distracted, she started to stammer a response but made herself stop and speak more fluently. "I was thinking of the future, my lord. Today, one brother becomes a King, but another brother dies. It brings changes that aren't expected for any of us." She was trying not to brood on the fact that it wasn't her and what that meant.

The distraction was rather welcome as she smiled weakly. He had on the attire of a nobleman but the face wasn't one she knew, and neither was the crest. "Forgive me. I don't believe we have been introduced properly." Tatianna started to offer her hand, but remembered that she wasn't supposed to. She was a Princess, they reached for her instead. "Tatianna Ferrand-Calhoun." The name tasted strange on her lips, but it was her name, yesterday, today... and for all the tomorrows she now had.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was cute watching her stammer and look for words to explain why she was out here looking so forlorn. Her fidgeting and blushing seemed to be a by-product of her embarrassment though he dared to wonder if it was something more. Perhaps being in male company that wasn’t familiar was unsettling to her? Eventually she found her voice in all of it and uttered her sentiments about the exchanges her brothers were going to endeavor on this day.

Now it was making a bit more sense, and Marcus nodded in understanding though his smile did not fade. “Ah yes, there is that matter of today’s coronation at hand. Destinies are about to switch places I would imagine. I would probably recommend in times like these you remember the good times in life with the brother who is saying farewell and simply remember to enjoy your own whilst you have it.”

Luther was a detested king. His passing was not going to be a loss to anyone, but that didn’t mean this princess didn’t have a different kind of relationship with the man. Perhaps there were some commendable qualities that were held more privately between various members of the family. Marcus didn’t know, and wasn’t going to assume either way.

Eventually this led to the situation where the young princess wasn’t certain as to who he was. Introductions were in order as she revealed her name and suddenly it all made sense. This was the young royal deemed to be the original sacrifice, and now Luther was taking her place.

“Ah, it all comes together now…” He replied with mirth as he saw her initially reach out and then hesitate. Without skipping a beat, Marcus followed through on the gesture and took her hand to place a kiss upon her knuckles, “I believe I have a clearer picture on your reservations of this day now.”

Letting go he then followed up with his name, “I am Marcus Romanov, but you are more than welcome to just call me Marcus, my Princess. I hold no high esteem on my family’s tree, so I am at your service under any title you feel complied to mention along the way.”

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tatianna looked at Marcus oddly for a minute when he encouraged her to remember the good times. He obviously did not know very much about Luther to make that comment. There was a reason, a good one, why her oldest brother was the one being Sacrificed instead of her. It wasn't her place to reveal Farrand-Calhoun secrets, though. "Perhaps you have that right. I have a new destiny, as you say, so I can begin to think towards the future, what-ever it might be." She smiled, trying to find that positive aspect in all of this. As far as Tatianna was concerned, Luther's death was probably going to be the opening of a brand new era of peace for Balfour.

Her fingers twitched before he caught up her hand, her eyes going wide as he smoothly touched his lips to her knuckles. He was very charming, she could already tell that much, and hoped she didn't sound too naive or stupid. Tatianna was not a sophisticated girl by any means. Letting his comment pass without remark, she thought on the name. The Romanovs held Old Havenwich, she knew. A family of scholars and eccentrics, for the most part, but he seemed like an exception to that rule. "Lord Marcus, then? Or should I come up with a new title just for you?"

Tatianna laughed, hearing his deprecation, her eyes twinkling at him. "You don't have to be the heir to gain esteem, my lord. Just being yourself could gain you all sorts of honors."

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “That’s the spirit.” Marcus replied in regards to her new take on her position. The gods had granted her the favor of surviving to live for further days. Anything was possible for her now, all she had to do was grasp the opportunities that would reside in front of her from this moment onward. “A lot can be accomplished in a year’s time, Princess. Just imagine what you can do with yourself now. There are worlds of opportunity ahead of you, just grasp it and run with it now.”

With a playful wink he watched as her eyes grew wide and she seemed uncomfortable with the interaction; either that or unfamiliar with it. Had she really been preened that much to a fateful end to never pursue anything worthwhile during the time she did have when she knew it would eventually be lost? That was such a shame.

“You may create a new title for me as whatever you wish, Princess.” There was a sly tone to his voice as he eventually released her and propped his elbows upon the stone walling next to her. “So would it be safe to say that you have never really experienced much that life had to offer you until this moment? If that’s the case, then I believe it is my solemn duty as a servant to Your Majesty that we should remedy that situation.”

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reassurances had come from Lochlan and from Nataliah that she would grow accustomed to the changes in her station and purpose, but hearing them from Marcus carried extra weight. He wasn't involved, he wasn't related to her, he had nothing to gain from telling her what she needed to be told. It put a little more starch in her spine too, making her smile more easily. "Yes, you're right about that, and there's so much for me to explore that I hardly know where to begin. It's been years since I could walk the streets of Silesia..." A sigh emerged, but happier this time. There was renewed hope in Tatianna.

The wink made her burst out laughing unexpectedly, surprise crossing her face at her own reaction. He was nothing she was ever prepared to deal with, but Tatianna could be a fast learner. Marcus was gentle about it, thankfully, not taking advantage of her so far. So she could create a new title for him? That was an interesting prospect, almost too good to resist. "I'll think of an appropriate one for you, not to worry, Lord Marcus."

His lean next to her brought her attention back to the lands splayed out before them. The grounds of the castle had never looked so beautiful to her, the air of freedom now that she understood what it was adding a luster she hadn't appreciated until now. "It would be safe to say that, yes. Most of my life has been spent in and around the Temple." His offer made her head turn towards him curiously. "What do you suggest for remedy, then?"

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ease in which Tatianna was now accepting her newfound freedom brought a smile to his face. This princess had spent her entire life brought up only to die. What kind of life must that have been? Marcus was a creature of the completely opposite nature, so he couldn’t really relate too well to her lifestyle. The fact that she was a young woman of age and yet had never truly lived during those years was a rightful shame. Marcus would have felt sorry for her if it wasn’t for the fact that she now seemed to embrace the concept of life with new vigor.

Her light and laughter now rang out into the air as she seemed to see the world with new perspective in the blink of an eye. When she asked what he suggested, Marcus kind of rolled his eyes sideways appearing as though nothing good was bound to come from his suggestions. However he dared to traverse those waters, if only to have a brief moment to keep forever tucked in his memories and known only by him.

“Well I could think of a thousand things to start with. Racing on horseback through the forests. Attending your first masked ball against your family’s wishes. Traveling to the tropical lands of Esquibel.” Each conquest was more fantastical than the next as he looked out towards the horizon to enjoy the view. But his paused his speech and soon flicked a glance in her direction again, “But perhaps we should start small. Tell me, Princess…have you ever experienced a kiss that wasn’t upon that lovely hand of yours?”

It was exactly as he was implying, but who would notice? They were completely alone up here upon the balcony, and Tatianna was certainly one of the most beautiful women he had ever encountered. Had she not been royalty he would have suggested far more than just a kiss, but he didn’t want to scare her away by that.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hearing it from someone who didn't have a Royal Agenda helped her tremendously. Nataliah's words of encouragement about Lochlan wanting to help her as well made Tatianna feel better, but Marcus didn't have any intentions towards furthering himself with her that she could tell. So she could relax, learn and try to face what was coming with courage. Luther would die today, but there would also be a celebration. She had to learn how to manage both in a very big hurry.

Seeing the look on his face, Tianna had to laugh again. Innocent, naive she might be, but she recognized wicked mischief when she saw it, and this man was full of it! Charming rogue indeed, with plenty of ideas to inspire and tempt her. "Masked ball? What's that?" The idea of riding freely through the forest was a good one, but Esquibel... Puzzled, she reached out without thinking and seized his arm. "You've been to Esquibel? What is it like? Is it beautiful and wild?" Tropical lands had such a fascinating sound to it.

Then he asked about kisses and starting small, bringing her to look at him curiously. "No... but why do you ask?" He probably already knew the answer, but that, she understood, was part of the game he was teaching her to play. And she heard plenty about kisses, now she wanted to know about it first-hand. If Lochlan or Nat found out, she'd probably get in trouble, but wasn't that normal? Maybe it was time for Tatianna get into a little trouble, and who better with then the handsome Romanov lord?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Her question about the masked ball was already a sign that she had lived too sheltered of a life. Already he knew he had his work cut out for him if Marcus was to be her guide in the art of living. With a soft wave of his finger pointing directly at her, he couldn’t help but remark, “I think you’re much further behind than I originally though. No matter, we’ll get you caught up to speed on these things. I think you’ll find that a masked ball allows you the ability to get into all sorts of mischief and people are none-the-wise because likely they have something to hide as well. It is a great deal of fun, and I shall send you a missive the moment I hear of one coming up.”

The second he mentioned Esquibel she reached out and clutched at his arm. A chuckle now followed suit to that as she wanted to know all about it. “I shall have to bring you with me the next time I go then.”

There was a sense of merriment to it all as he put on a contemplative expression to think about his travels so far. Rubbing a this chin lightly, he then loosened his shoulders a bit as he rested his elbows once again upon the stone walling and continued to ponder further. “Well I have only been to La Baie des Ancres so far. The trade route we have with them is singular and small. But there is a vast realm of possibility over there. Birds the colors of rainbows, flowers that are large and exotic yet they hold little scent to them. The place I stayed at was a port city, and the lord is also admiral of the entire fleet. Apparently there are a mountain people there, but I did not see them yet. I am hoping that my next journey will allow me time to further travel.”

When things shifted to the topic of a kiss, Tatianna seemed curious and confused at the same time. However something in her eyes seemed to play at him a bit. As he scrutinized her expression in conjunction with her question, he closed the gap between them a bit more. Gingerly he reached over and let his finger graze the soft ivory skin under her chin with a delicate sense of ease. His mouth twitching to a smirk as he leaned in a little and murmured to her softly, “If we are to get you on to this path of living, what better way to start…than with a kiss, yes?”

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Life at the Temple didn't often present such grand social opportunities as masked balls. It was a quiet, simple life spent in study, and other work meant to do good. Tatianna had enjoyed it, but being out in the world was still very overwhelming to her. She blinked when his finger waved and pointed at her, blushing as she understood she had made herself look and sound like a stupid child. Still, she smiled to hear his promise of telling her when a masked ball came about.

The light in her eyes brightened when he spoke of taking her with him to Esquibel, listening avidly when he described where he'd been and what it was like. Nodding, Tatianna was interested in hearing more, even of the one city and the mountain people. "Will you be going back soon? Is it a very large place? Are they very different from us?" The prospect of travel was rather exciting to her. She could go to Tuneric to visit Nataliah after her sister was married, and now maybe Lochlan would let her go to this Esquibel as well. Maybe that was something she could do!

Her breath caught when he touched her chin and moved closer, her eyes going wide as he distracted her from her excited thoughts of travel. Tatianna didn't know what to say, but he had her captivated, the deep blue moving over his face and eyes as her chin tipped up without her realizing it. He was rather handsome, obviously charming and unlike anyone she had ever met. She was probably going to get into a lot of trouble with him... but it was only a kiss, right?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The princess seemed more enraptured learning about the lands of Esquibel more than anything else. While he had gone there a handful of times he had only been to Les Baie de Ancres and no place further. With a light shrug he replied, “Yes and no. They are a tropical region so they do not have winter over there in the same strict sense that we are used to. But there are some things that remain fairly familiar in regards to class and social standing, but how they implement it seems a bit…different. I hope to visit it again soon and go west to see the other cities. For now I am here until things settle down.”

Marcus hoped that would placate her long enough to have her focus on other things. The moment his finger brushed her skin he could sense Tatianna’s nerves just a bit. The young lady had lived a sheltered life up until now. She was free to make decisions as she saw fit; no longer the chosen Sacrifice to be gutted upon a podium for others to stop and watch.

Closing the gap between them entirely, his other hand wrapped gingerly around her hip so that Marcus could draw her to him. With a soft murmur he replied, “Let me know if I’ve overstepped my bounds, Princess.”

His thumb brushed over her soft lips with tender care before he looked to see if she was fine in this moment. Naturally there was trepidation that he could feel upon the heat of her skin and the way she looked at him. But Tatianna did not balk and did not speak ill for him to remove himself. When Marcus knew he was cleared to advance, he leaned in and touched his lips to hers, savoring the taste. He had crossed many ladies of various social titles, but never that of royal blood. There was something almost pure about it all as his hand slid up along her cheek and continued to draw her in as delicately made love to her lips.

After a few minutes he drew away and removed his hands from their respective places. Instead he reached for one of her own and pulled it back up to place a more appropriate kiss upon her knuckle again before replying, “And now you write your own destiny, Princess.”

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tatianna felt like she knew more about Esquibel then her own home-land, and could maybe find something for herself in the distant island. Listening with great interest as Marcus spoke, she smiled, but there was a curious look to her face. "When you say settle down, do you mean with the coronation and the changes?" She was hopeful that things would settle down very fast and that life would take on some kind of comfortable routine. "Does this mean you will stay in Silesia for a while?" Trying not to look hopeful, she was getting more comfortable in Lord Marcus's company.

He distracted her then with those light touches and the unfamiliar weight of his hand at her hip. Pulled closer, Tatianna looked up at him. She was tall for a woman, but he was taller still and so close that she could see the dark ring around the irises of his eyes. Her heart suddenly gave a nervous leap but she didn't pull away or stop him, just held still when he touched her lips. It made her want to shiver, but surely that was a silly response. Instead, she closed her eyes when his head lowered to hers, drifting into the gentle kiss that sent a thrill through her.

When he pulled back, she left her eyes closed for a moment, still tasting his lips on hers before she breathed in slowly. Finally opening her eyes when he brought her hand to his lips, she smiled at him. "Thank you. That was... more then I ever imagined it would be." Nataliah would probably not approve, but Tatianna rather liked it and hoped she hadn't been too inept at the kiss. There was always practice, if she was bold enough to suggest it... which she wasn't.

Yet.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The princess seemed to hit both right and wrong conclusions about his words and their meanings. However he did not answer her right away. Instead he let the kiss drift her off into another realm of being before eventually disconnecting and allowing her to enjoy it all. Her words were appreciative and it brought a bit of a devious smirk to his lips when he finally gave her hand back.

“You’re quite welcome, Princess.” He said respectfully without any hint of sarcasm. “As far as my business here, I am only around until after the coronation and then my family will be making their way back home. But I don’t doubt my parents will likely stay a few extra days in order to impose a good impression upon the king.”

There was a soft chuckle that came from him after that. Clearly there was some sense of facetiousness to how he viewed his parents, but it was coated in light laughter if any hint of resentment could be found at all. Looking back over at her, there was a sense of confidence in the young woman. “You’re already off to a good start, Princess. Don’t hold back with the rest of your life. You’ve given up too much of it as it is to awaiting a fate that is no longer yours to hold.”

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She would have sweet dreams for days on a kiss like that. It occurred to her in that minute to wonder how many others he had kissed in that sweet and subdued passionate manner, but Tianna didn't want to think about it. She just wanted to savor the kiss, the pleasant shivery feeling it had given her and drift off into day-dreams about it.

Not that she could, of course. Today was Lochlan's coronation day, and the day that would set her free forever from the responsibility and obligation of the Sacrifice. Luther would stand in her stead and shed his blood for the prosperity and the peace of Balfour. Tatianna had no idea what to expect, but hoped that the kiss would give her the courage she needed.

She nodded to what he said of his parents, knowing there was some sort of joke but not really sure about it. "There will be a celebration soon. My... my brother intends to," Tatianna wasn't sure how to explain Lochlan's plan for her, "introduce me to the Kingdom. Perhaps you and your family will still be in Silesia for it?" It would be nice to have a friendly face there, knowing there were so many others she didn't know.

His words of her start made her blush and look down, but Tatianna knew he was right. Today marked the start of her new life, nothing to be feared but embraced. Lifting her head, she smiled at him. "I think I will have to continue as I've started. Thanks to you, that is."

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was something sweet in the fledgling princess, and Marcus almost felt like an animal taking advantage of her to some extent. But Tatianna was different. She wasn’t here trying to prove anything, and she didn’t judge him in kind. The fact that they weren’t looking for anything past each other’s company was a refreshing change of pace for him.

As she blushed and mentioned the celebration, asking if he and his family would stick around, Marcus played coy. He took a long moment to think about it, which was an act just to continue lightening the mood around the serious affairs. “I don’t know…me at a party?”

It was then he smiled at her reassuringly before replying, “I’m fairly sure my family and I would love to stick around for something like that. My parents never miss a chance to woo royalty. As for me, I never like to miss a party, there’s too much opportunity to cause a great deal of trouble.”

With a playful wink, he listened as she thanked him for the conversation that they were having. To that he shrugged and shook his head, “Don’t mention it.” Following that he looked about before leaning in and murmuring, “No seriously, it’s best you not mention it. I don’t think your brother would be all that fond to find out that I have stolen his little sister’s lips. I would kind of like to keep my head upon my neck.”

Afterwards he chuckled softly and gave her another look of confidence before standing back at attention again and replying, “I guess this is a quick goodbye for now until you are formally presented.”

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tatianna was a true innocent, knowing next to nothing of life in Court and of the world beyond the Temple. Judging Marcus never occurred to the newest Princess. If anything, Tianna looked on him favorably. He was kind to her, encouraging and fun. She knew he probably wasn't someone she should be friends with but for now, she was eager to learn almost anything to make herself look less silly.

His comment and coyness made her laugh. "Oh, I think you are being too modest. You are probably the life of the party, Lord Marcus." Tatianna felt a little strange at being the one for who the party was given but Nataliah assured her it was not so big a deal. "It will be good to see you there. I'm sure the King will make an announcement about it tomorrow or some such. But what kind of trouble?" Now she was truly curious.

A nod agreed with his good-bye, knowing she should go find her family for the procession. "Until we meet again. And I promise, not to mention any of what... we talked about." Some things were too good not to be kept secret!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “I guess you shall have to see for yourself when that time comes.” He replied with a smirk. But now it was time to depart since people were likely going to be looking for her and he had other places to be as well. If he wasn’t visible then people often thought the worst of him. With a gracious bow he replied, “Indeed, it’s best we not mention any of that. Until we meet again, Princess.”

From there he made his exit to leave her be. Marcus knew that this wasn’t the last he’ll have seen of Tatianna.

(Fin.)

@Tatianna Farrand-Calhoun
    Last edited by Marcus Romanov; 05-24-2014 at 10:08 AM.