Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: True to Form [9/5, early morning, Emma/Elizabeth Sheridan]

House Beaumarche Emma Beaumarche's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True to Form [9/5, early morning, Emma/Elizabeth Sheridan]

Sitting in the parlor of the temporary abode for the Beaumarche family in Welch Run, Emma placed the finishing touches on the brunch she intended to share with Elizabeth Sheridan.

Emma had only briefly met the lady from the Low Coast at this particular gathering, although she was certain they had crossed paths sometime before, likely in the Capital; but as the celebration ran to a close in Welch Run, Emma realized how little chance she had gotten to speak informally with many of the ladies of the realm who were present. And wasn't that entirely the point of the Beaumarches coming to Welch Run - to show their faces, and give decent explanation for their virtual seclusion for the last several months? She had remembered just the day before to send a late invitation to Elizabeth Sheridan to share tea and a light breakfast with her and her sister Lina the morning of the last day of the festival - Emma wasn't sure what was in store for the rest of the day, or the departure schedule of the Sheridans, but she had hoped to have a few words with Elizabeth before the rest of her family departed for Aston.

And, if she were honest with herself, to inquire casually about Elizabeth's brother Adam; a man she had seen accompanying Elizabeth throughout her travels in Welch Run.

As the Beaumarche woman moved to slightly shift the tea-tray on the table, and scoot the vase of flowers more towards the center of the tableau, Emma gave herself a mental pat on the back. Usually this sort of thing - entertaining guests, as it were - was something Rose was far more adept at than Emma.

But she set a fine table this morning and, pleased, Emma smiled warmly to herself, hands on her hips as she observed her morning masterpiece.

House Sheridan Elizabeth Sheridan's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their sojourn in Welch Run was swiftly coming to its conclusion, signaling the Sheridan return to Aston and life as normal. Elizabeth greatly enjoyed the opportunity to mingle with the diverse nobility of Tuneric and to gain new friends despite her brother's ever-watchful eye upon her. Some new business contacts had been made as well, bringing with them new opportunities for investment and trade for Aston. They were kept largely to herself to avoid fraternal disapproval until well out of sight of others, but the invitation coming from Lady Emma Beaumarche was a welcome and purely social meeting.

Dressing to accentuate her coloring, Elizabeth left much of her golden hair to spill free from a pair of small braids crossed over and pinned into place. Arriving in a subdued shade of green, she wore a serene smile as she approached the door and raised her hand to knock. Recalling that Lady Lina would also be present, she hoped to make an adequate impression and upon departure, consider new friendships well begun. The Beaumarches had been noticeably absent from the social whirl, leaving her concerned for their well-being. A small gift of local candies had been obtained, as Elizabeth preferred to thank her hostess for the hospitality.

Anticipating a most pleasant morning, she smoothed her gown and appreciated the spill of warm autumn sunshine. It promised to be a fine meeting.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sharp sound of knuckles against the door were caught first by Lina, whose senses were ever more vigilant than her sister's. Emma was still tweaking the table display, and absently licking off a bit of frosting that lingered on a finger from a honey-glazed scone, when Lina lifted her sightless eyes and looked towards the door. "Em - she's here," Lina said sweetly, a smile lifting to her lips, her cloudy eyes vacant but her face tilted towards the door. Emma, looking first at Lina and then at the door, moved to wipe her hands on her skirts - and then immediately cursed herself for such foolishness - and quickly headed towards the door.

It was only a moment later that Emma tucked a loose lock of chestnut hair behind her ear and, taking a deep breath, reached for the handle of the portal and swung the door wide and open; to reveal the face of Lady Elizabeth Sheridan. "Lady Elizabeth. Good morn. Thank you for you joining us," Emma started warmly, a bright smile lifting to her pretty face. She dipped her head in slight greeting, and then stepped back, opening the door wider; gesturing with her free hand towards the adjoining parlor. "Please, come in. My sister and I are so pleased you could sup with us on such short notice."

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sound of movement approaching the door alerted her to the awareness of her presence, prompting Elizabeth to stand a little straighter. The skirts falling about her feet waved gracefully as she smoothed her features into a pleasant mien, the smile lingering upon her lips as the door parted to reveal Lady Emma Beaumarche. A brief glance past her into the chamber confirmed that Lady Lina was also present, sitting in what appeared to be a pool of sunlight that could be felt better than it could be seen. The smile softened with true pleasure as she inclined her head in courteous return. "Good morning, Lady Emma."

Stepping inside, she moved into the room, similarly appointed to the chambers assigned to the Sheridan family. The scent of flowers mingled with the aroma of the food and steeping tea, creating a friendly and inviting atmosphere that put her more at ease. "Thank you both for the invitation. Lady Lina, it is a delight to see you as well. I brought you a small gift, if I may be so bold?" Elizabeth glanced from one sister to the other, intending to present the sweets to Lina despite their intent as a shared gift. She knew of Lina's condition, respecting the lady all the more in that she did not permit it to stop her or prevent her from enjoying life.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emma stepped inside as Elizabeth shared her greetings; and she closed the door gently behind them as the pair made their way down the short entranceway corridor towards the parlor, where Emma tried to view the scene with fresh eyes - yes, it looked lovely. She thought Rose would be proud.

Thank you both for the invitation. Lady Lina, it is a delight to see you as well. I brought you a small gift, if I may be so bold?

Elizabeth glanced in Emma's direction, and the Beaumarche woman's eyes widened; but she smiled, and with a discreet nod, gestured Elizabeth forward, if she wished to impart her gift into Lina's hands. The younger Beaumarche sister, even for her affliction, looked radiant where she sat, her hands in her lap, cane leaning against her chair; her tawny hair held in a bow at the nape of her neck, the pleasure of this new company obvious on her face. "By all means, Lady Elizabeth," Emma encouraged, a faint flush creeping up her neck. She hadn't expected gifts - or was that the right way of it? Emma wasn't exactly adept at sharing tea with other noblewomen. "You are truly too kind."

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elizabeth had learned, perhaps the hard way, that the smallest gestures could often make the biggest impact. A moment's courtesy could result in life-long friendship if cultivated correctly. Her intentions were not mercenary in bringing the little gift, but purely to bring some sunshine to Lina's day and show her sister that she considered both ladies as her hostesses. To arrive empty handed was unthinkable to a Sheridan.

"Thank you," she inclined her head first to Lady Emma, approaching where Lady Lina was seated. She moved carefully, the better to avoid startling the young lady whom she approached. With care, Elizabeth bent to brush the box lightly against Lina's hand, not presuming to take that hand without invitation. "I saw these in the market-place and thought you might like them. They're sweets, shaped like roses, but have the most lovely almond taste."

Having delivered her gift, she smiled back at Emma. "It is good to see the Beaumarche family again. How have you been? And have you been enjoying yourselves on this visit? Welch Run is quite different from Aston, as you know." Elizabeth was accustomed to life on the coast; Welch Run being inland was a change of pace for her that was welcome on a number of levels, some more easily discussed than others.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emma watched as Elizabeth stepped forward and offered up her gift to Lina; pressing the container gently into the younger Beaumarche's hands. Lina, for her part, smiled widely, her gaze tilted a bit too far past Elizabeth's face but her chin moved in the right position.

I saw these in the market-place and thought you might like them. They're sweets, shaped like roses, but have the most lovely almond taste.

"Oh, Lady Elizabeth, you are far too kind. What a delightful treat," Lina said sweetly, her pretty face curving into a smile. Without hesitation, she prized open the lid; and Emma felt a flip of concern - perhaps she should have waited? Emma never quite knew with these things - but then Lina lifted the box to pause the container just under her nose, taking a deep breath of the candies within. She beamed. "They smell truly delicious. And I know Emma adores almonds." Emma, for her part, took another step closer to the pair, glancing from her sister to Elizabeth with a relieved smile. Sometimes, Lina's confidence even outweighed Emma's. "Thank you, Lady Elizabeth. We both cannot wait to indulge, it seems," Emma offered up, her voice soft, tinged with a bit of laughter.

It is good to see the Beaumarche family again. How have you been? And have you been enjoying yourselves on this visit? Welch Run is quite different from Aston, as you know.

"Oh, we've been - we've all been particularly well, in fact. And yourself? Your family?" Emma said quickly, gathering up the conversation once more; and she gestured for Elizabeth to take a seat at the table, between herself and Lina, before Emma moved to the side of the table. She set about to pour tea, as she intermittently glanced at their guest, responding to her questions. "And this has been a thoroughly enjoyable trip so far. Such an interesting family, the De Angelis' - you've had the chance to speak with a few of them informally, I trust? You must tell me what you think of them. I find them to be rather..." Emma paused then, still pouring the individual cups; a twitch of smile tugging at her lips - a bit of the real Emma showing through. She glanced at Elizabeth again. "... unique?" She laughed softly.

"And yes, although I sincerely have found Welch Run rather lovely, I think I'd prefer Aston, myself - or at least, I have, in my infrequent trips through the city."

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elizabeth felt a pang of doubt herself as she observed Lady Lina's reactions. Only once Lina tested the aroma of the candies and smiled brightly did she release a pent-up breath, relaxing. "It was my pleasure. I hope you both will enjoy them. The markets here are full of unusual and interesting items... and people, I must admit." Her thoughts briefly strayed to Lord Greenwood and the unexpected tension of a renewed meeting with Lord Durand there. Fingers rose unconsciously to toy with the sapphire pendant nestled into the hollow of her throat as she returned the smile to Emma, eyes brighter for hearing the lilt of laughter in the other's voice. "There is something about almonds that is tempting, I have to agree. It was the scent that led me to that confectioner, and what temptations were offered there!" She was careful not to speak of seeing, instead appealing to Lina's well-honed sense of scent.

Availing herself of the seat at the table, Elizabeth caught the initial hesitation in Emma's words but did not comment on it. There had been mention of some trouble within the Beaumarche family, but she would not bring it up. It was none of her business, really. A nod acknowledged the reply, returning lightly, "Oh, the Sheridans are well, all of us. This has been a good opportunity for all of us to meet up once more, with Aislynn at Suffolk still." She had her concerns for her sister remaining with the Fairfaxes with her sons, but it was not her place to question it.

The mention of the unique nature of the DeAngelis family made Elizabeth laugh, recalling her walk with the Ladies Silvia and Secily. "That is a fair description of the family, I believe. I've been able to spend some time with the young ladies, but not so much Lords Dastan and Danush. What of yourself?" Adam had made it clear that he would speak with Lord Dastan regarding matters of trade, that she should not think to approach the man herself.

Pleased to know that Emma found Aston as appealing as she herself did, Elizabeth brightened. "Perhaps you would both care to come for a visit soon, then? And your brother as well?" She had not met Lord Elliot in some time, but recalled him on previous occasions.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elizabeth's own animated part of the conversation was envious in its ease; and Emma finished pouring a cup for the Sheridan woman and Lina, concluding only with herself. She offered up a little saucer of cream and a bowl of sugar for Elizabeth, waiting for the woman to help herself before Emma moved to put two dollops of sugar into Lina's; her little sister liked things sweet. "I am pleased to hear you all are well. It is a troubling few months we are emerging from, in Tuneric as a whole," Emma said lightly, her words pleasant and a trifle practiced.

That is a fair description of the family, I believe. I've been able to spend some time with the young ladies, but not so much Lords Dastan and Danush. What of yourself?

Emma moved around the table to press Lina's cup into her awaiting hands; Emma careful to give her the saucer and not the hot cup, a murmur of gratitude on Lina's lips. Emma returned to finally take her own seat, carefully sweeping her voluminous skirts to the side to wedge her way alongside the small table. She was not used to donning garments of this size, but she had been sure to pack her best items for their visit to Welch Run; a trifle outdated for the fashions of late, to be sure, but flattering nonetheless. "I feel relieved you agree -- I wasn't sure if I was merely casting reflections on their abrupt rise in station on their... eclectic personalities." Emma reached to pour a drop of honeyed cream in her tea, swirling it with a spoon, her green eyes lively and returning to Elizabeth's fair face. "I have only briefly spoken with Lady Silvia, who seems to be a certainly kind woman; but I haven't had a chance to cross paths with Lords Dastan and Danush." Mentally, Emma checked that box; soon enough. "But I confess, it is they who intrigue me the most." She lifted the cup to her lips and took a sip -- too soon, it seemed, burning the edge of her tongue. Emma wrinkled her nose.

Why couldn't she get the steps to this dance right?

Perhaps you would both care to come for a visit soon, then? And your brother as well?

To this, Emma beamed, surprised; even if she felt a trifle of mental panic at being invited anywhere. "That would be most generous of you, Lady Elizabeth. I wouldn't want to impose -- but I would thoroughly enjoy that. And my brother, I am sure. Have you -- had a chance to meet him, before?" she offered up then, gently.

Elizabeth was a lovely woman. And Elliot wasn't usually in the market of not being awkward and distant around lovely women.

That couldn't hurt...

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cup was accepted with a soft smile of thanks, a dollop of cream added to cool and smooth the smoky flavor, along with a few grains of sugar. Elizabeth preferred her tea not too sweet, dividing her attention equally between the sisters. Their company was a welcome change and an opportunity to develop new friendships, precisely the point of the social gathering.

The comment from Emma brought forth a sign. "It is indeed," and dreadful for business, she wanted to add. Uncertain what role Emma played in the Beaumarche family's affairs, Elizabeth was not one to presume. "But it is good to see His Majesty is recovering, and that Her Majesty is well. Perhaps that will aid in restoring some stability to the realm." Peace was better for trade, the embargo with Balfour a persistent drain on resources and opportunities. "I hope that court will re-open soon as well. If it does, do you plan to attend?"

Small talk indeed, yet necessary to open doors to more in-depth relationships and conversations. Elizabeth could measure the time of her last meeting with the Beaumarches in years, rather than months. She was a social creature, however, finding ways and means of discourse with nearly anyone under any circumstances. It was a skill hard-won and well-honed for the Sheridan lady.

Her eyes sparkled with checked laughter at Emma's discreet commentary on the DeAngelis family. Unique was a valid choice of term, as was eclectic, especially when speaking of the Lady Secily. "In no way, Lady Emma. I believe Lady Secily prides herself on her individuality and her manner, though there is a charm to her. Lady Silvia is indeed kind as well." Adam had as good as warned her off from meeting with Dastan or Danush, preferring to approach them himself. With peace in mind, she had agreed. The Sheridan rise to nobility was less notorious and meteoric than the DeAngelis. Elizabeth was uncertain as to the wisdom of conducting business with them yet. "They are intriguing, if for their rise alone. I am interested to see what manner of men they are, and what they intend to contribute."

The wrinkle was noted, but passed over in favor of issuing her invitation. She smiled easily, waving off any protestation of imposition. "You are no imposition, but welcome guests. We enjoy opening our home to others, and perhaps Lady Lina would enjoy walking the shores as well?" The question was directed to the more quiet sister, the better to assure her that the invitation was fully inclusive. At Emma's question, she returned her gaze to the dark haired woman. "I have not had the honor as yet, no, but I look forward to it. Perhaps you would effect the introduction before we depart? I can present the invitation to Lord Beaumarche as well. If it is not pressing for you to return home, might you consent to join us in traveling to Aston?" This was a fine time of year to enjoy the northern shore of Tuneric, not too cool yet not so warm as to be sweltering.

House Beaumarche Elliot Beaumarche's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a rare coincidence that Emma and Elizabeth were briefly discussing the Lord of Slate Valley; as he had chosen that exact moment to make an inopportune and rather loud entrance.

The door to the Beaumarche family temporary chambers burst open suddenly, with no perfunctory knock beforehand; the door itself almost slamming into the back wall with the force it was pushed in. There was a brief scuffle at the entrance then, the intruder clearly alarmed at how much trajectory the door itself was taking and concerned overall for the state of the hinges; when Elliot came half-stamping in down the corridor. "Emma, have you seen my grey doublet? It's the only nice one I have and if I don't come back with it, we won't be able to leave the Valley for another --" he began loudly, his head half-twisted back towards the chamber entrance -- partially concerned he had scratched the wall, and with pithy retory Dastan De Angelis would have for that -- when he finally crossed the threshold of the parlor and looked back; to see three female faces looking quizzically back at him. Two were his sisters; Lina, for her part, was already laughing at his unbecoming intrusion, her cloudy eyes cast in his direction; and Emma, for her own, shot her brother a look that Elliot could only describe as murderous -- but the third was an entirely new face.

And a terribly lovely face, at that.

"Oh, I -- I'm, ah --" Elliot stammered, saying the first thing that came to mind (which was apparently nothing), his hazel eyes wide.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emma took a small sip of her tea, the beverage having cooled down a touch further, before she resettled it on her saucer. "Oh, I'm not... I'm not sure. If we were called to court, of course, but things are so hectic in the Valley, at this time of year especially..." Emma said softly, and slightly uncomfortably, at Elizabeth's mention of going to Hebron once the court was reopened. The truth was, Emma could barely afford to leave the Ridge even at the best of times to visit her trade partners on the Low Coast; the Beaumarche family and the city they harbored was a hefty mantle to carry, and even across both her shoulders and Elliot's, it was a difficult burden to manage. But now, with Finn returned --

"But you will go, of course, yes?" Emma offered up then, her face and tone brightening; switching places.

Elizabeth's own bemused remarks about the De Angelis family stoked Emma's intrigue even further; she had already known she intended to try and speak with Dastan De Angelis about a possible partnership later that afternoon, and she wanted to get another perspective on the man before she struck. Elliot seemed to detest him entirely; and it was clear that Guy, even for his purposes with the King, didn't completely trust him and his family's unannounced rise to power; but Emma was a woman who required all angles of observation. She opened her mouth to comment about the youngest sister, a peculiar breed of woman, when the unmistakable sound of a door slamming open reverberated across the room. Lina audibly gasped, her cup clattering down on her saucer; and Emma's green eyes darted over at her younger sister, concerned that she was alright, before they fixed back over her shoulder -- to see Elliot, striding forth, oblivious to the situation at hand.

Only when he lifted his own gaze did he stop; and his hazel eyes widened with alarm. Emma shot him a contemptuous glare -- was this really the best impression?

Oh, I -- I'm, ah --

Emma rose abruptly from her chair to save her brother before he could embarrass himself further; and she skirted alongside him, resting a gripping hand on his forearm. " -- Elliot," she said warmly, even if the sentiment didn't reach her eyes. She leaned up to kiss him on the cheek. "What a surprise. Lina and I were just sharing tea with Lady Sheridan," she said kindly, sweeping a gesture towards Elizabeth. Emma looked back at Elizabeth, shooting her a discreetly apologetic look. "Lady Elizabeth, perhaps now is as good a time as any -- this is my brother, Lord Elliot."

Elliot, for his part, at least knew what to do next; and bowed at the waist, bobbing his head; his hazel eyes still set on the Sheridan woman's face with a slight absorption. "Lady Elizabeth, the pleasure is mine entirely. I -- apologize for my intrusion, sincerely," he said lightly, a sweet awkwardness to his words.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "But you will go, of course, yes?"

Would she go? It would mean leaving Aston and all of the business Elizabeth carefully nurtured on Adam's behalf. There was nothing among it that he could not, would not handle capably, but it gave her the illusion of independence and contribution to the family's cause. Lifting the cup to give herself a moment to consider, she lowered the cup with a renewed smile. "I would love to go. I am sure there are many fascinating people to meet and connections to make on behalf of the family. The likelihood of it, however, is not good."

Before the conversation could continue, the door slammed, making her jump a little and look around, expecting to see Adam. That was precisely the sort of entrance her brother tended to make when he disapproved, or was annoyed. Which, if Elizabeth was honest, she was a contributor towards more often than she ought to be. Relieved to see that the man revealed was not Adam - what could he possibly disapprove of in a ladylike brunch with the Ladies Beaumarche? - Elizabeth instead surmised the man to be Lord Elliot Beaumarche. His coloring was nearly identical to Emma's, and the features resemblant to Lina's.

The situation, awkward as it might be, tickled the Sheridan woman's sense of humor, reminded strongly of her own family. As Emma greeted her brother, Elizabeth set her cup and saucer aside, rising with a warm and slightly amused smile to curtsey politely. "It is an unexpected honor, Lord Beaumarche, to finally meet you. Your sisters graciously invited me to share the morning with them, and I have been enjoying the chance to better know both Lady Emma and Lady Lina." His apology was met with a gentle incline of her head, deemed as unnecessary in her mind as she glanced to Emma. The invitation to join them was not hers to extend, but she laughed softly. "Please don't apologize. You might say I am accustomed to family dynamics."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emma rose quickly from her chair to rescue him; and even though the hand on his arm wasn't entirely friendly in its grip, his sister still managed a smile as she moved to kiss him briefly on the cheek. She introduced him then to the woman they were sharing breakfast with; and she, who apparently was Elizabeth Sheridan, rose from her seat as well; her lovely face curving into an amused smile as she regarded the pair of siblings.

It is an unexpected honor, Lord Beaumarche, to finally meet you. Your sisters graciously invited me to share the morning with them, and I have been enjoying the chance to better know both Lady Emma and Lady Lina. Please don't apologize. You might say I am accustomed to family dynamics.

Elliot smiled beneath his thick beard, his hazel eyes crinkling at the corners. He was mostly surprised that Emma had invited anyone in the first place to share tea and breakfast with herself and Lina, for Emma wasn't entirely known for being the best hostess; and yet he was pleased, somehow, that he had burst in -- however unfortunately -- on this small gathering. Elizabeth Sheridan was a vision, if he was honest with himself; long, golden hair, light eyes, and a faint dimpling of her cheeks when she smiled. Elliot cleared his throat, and bobbed his head again as she curtseyed. "An honor to me as well, Lady Sheridan. I am pleased you could join them, I, ah -- I appreciate your overlooking of my bumbling, nonetheless," he said kindly, a hint of awkward laughter in his voice.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The awkward manner was endearing in Elizabeth's opinion, particularly in light of her recent interactions with the Durand lord, Lord Greenwood, and of course, her own brother. Elliot's surprise at discovering her in his family's appointed chambers made her wonder just how much the two siblings spoke of their respective plans. Adam was forever nosing into what she was doing, no doubt with a protective brother's best intentions, but Elizabeth was, by contrast, an intensely private woman.

A smile lingered on her lips as she watched the two, remaining near to Lina while resuming her seat. "We were just speaking of Court, Lord Beaumarche, and the prospect that now that the King is well on his way to mended that it will be re-opened. What do you think of the notion?" Small talk, but a safe enough subject, considering she did not particularly seek to discuss the DeAngelis family or other families in attendance.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emma watched the exchange between Elizabeth Sheridan and her brother with slight trepidation, mixed with amusement. Elizabeth, as Emma had expected, received this strange situation with all the aplomb of a lady of her station; while Elliot tried his best to keep up, his handsome face and general genial nature the only thing, in Emma's opinion, keeping him from being considered too rude. Besides; it wasn't hard for Emma to see the glint in her brother's eyes -- the way he looked at Elizabeth Sheridan with a keen appeal. She half wanted to jostle him in the arm; she was worried he would scare the Sheridan woman away.

It was only when Elizabeth moved to include the group in the strange, off-set conversation -- We were just speaking of Court, Lord Beaumarche, and the prospect that now that the King is well on his way to mended that it will be re-opened. What do you think of the notion? -- that Emma reinserted herself to the now additional group. She hesitated, not entirely wanting to invite her brother to sit with them; but worried it would be rude in Elizabeth's eyes for her to do otherwise. "Ahm -- yes, Elliot, would you -- like to join us?" she said lightly, gesturing towards the table; her expression a trifle tight.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were just speaking of Court, Lord Beaumarche, and the prospect that now that the King is well on his way to mended that it will be re-opened. What do you think of the notion?

Elliot paused, clearing his throat, about to answer -- when Emma interjected; and his hazel eyes shifted to his sister's face. She looked a trifle -- irritated, with him? And he half-wondered if her invitation was not entirely genuine; but for once, Elliot found himself not necessarily falling into line with what Emma wanted of him, and instead, he nodded at her inquiry, his expression subdued. "Ah, absolutely, ladies -- if you don't mind my intrusion, of course," he said lightly, gesturing with one hand and a brief dip of his head towards Elizabeth. "I do believe that if the King is on the mend and he chooses to reopen court -- which he will have to, eventually -- certain changes will be enacted..." he began, nonchalantly. Elliot stepped forward and made an action to pull out Elizabeth's chair for her, with a gentle bow of his head; a twitch of a smile on his bearded face for the Sheridan woman.

"Would your brother send someone, in his stead?" he inquired kindly; the most forefront question on his mind.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elizabeth was not typically easy to offend, unless one's name was Austin Durand. The exchange between the Beaumarche siblings held her interest, albeit covertly. There was a discreet layer of tension that she did not understand, yet it was not for her to intervene or inquire as to its cause. Blue eyes took in the way they stood, then moved, accepting the gentlemanly gesture to reseat her. A gentle dip of her head thanked Elliot, along with a murmured thank you, her gaze lifting briefly to Emma at his mention of minding the intrusion. For reasons Elizabeth could not explain, she wondered if the gentleman was not especially welcomed among the ladies presently.

Distracted by the return of topic to Court, Elizabeth glanced to Elliot with a wry smile of her own. "I very much doubt that, but Adam is a kind brother and might be persuaded to either allow myself or Aislynn to represent him. Or so I might hope," she added with a fresh twinkle to her gaze. "Perhaps you might be inclined to answer the King's summons as well, Lady Emma?"

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Emma had hoped that Elliot would take her silent push to depart on his own, the message was clearly ignored; and she tried to bolster herself for this new intrusion as they all returned to their seats. It wasn't that Emma didn't enjoy her brother's company; but she had hoped to forge a bond with Elizabeth Sheridan in the meantime, before Elliot could meet the lovely woman in question. This just might be... trickier.

I very much doubt that, but Adam is a kind brother and might be persuaded to either allow myself or Aislynn to represent him. Or so I might hope. Perhaps you might be inclined to answer the King's summons as well, Lady Emma?

Emma looked back at Elizabeth and considered her question; her pretty features open and contemplating. "Oh, well -- I suppose that --" she began, noncommittally; not wanting to lie to Elizabeth, but unsure how to explain the situation -- when Elliot moved to do it for her.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elizabeth Sheridan took her seat with the grace of a lady of her position; and as Elliot moved to take his own seat nearby the two women, passing a hand gently to squeeze Lina's shoulder in greeting, the conversation turned to the court summons once more.

But when the Sheridan woman inquired whether Emma would go, Elliot couldn't help but speak up; his thick eyebrows lifting on his forehead in slight alarm at even considering it, moving to pour his own cup of tea.

"I think I would have to send Emma in my stead, truth be told -- our younger brother Mateo is certainly coming into his own, but he is a young man still... and I trust Emma, more than anyone. But it would be hard to part with her, nonetheless. So much of the Valley rests on her shoulders." Elliot's words were sweet but certainly rang true; and there was no sense of pandering to his sister in his speech. Emma shot him an incredulous look, but Elliot would have none of it. He was an honest and simple man; that was all he had. He was the head of the Beaumarche household but he wasn't a man for flattery -- he gave credit where credit was do.

He looked at his sister, and then back at Elizabeth Sheridan; a warm, natural smile bristling beneath his thick beard. "I confess, I don't know what I'd do without her."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast