User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: True to Form [9/5, early morning, Emma/Elizabeth Sheridan]

House Sheridan Elizabeth Sheridan's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Beaumarches, Elizabeth recalled, had endured a time of significant trial in the not so distant past, a sensitive subject she had not intended to raise or remind any of them of. To do was a grave discourtesy, the realization of which aroused the first hints of color in her cheek. This was an excellent opportunity to gain friends in the ladies, and perhaps delicately probe Elliot for business opportunities that Adam could take advantage of. She needed to smooth her faux pas over, commenting lightly, “It is not likely to happen soon, perhaps not even before Spring. Neither of our families will need to worry over the loss yet.”

The glances exchanged between the two siblings were not missed, yet she refrained from commenting on them. The subtle stammer from Emma led to a candid reply from Elliot, restoring her smile. It was good to know that he appreciated his sister’s skills so openly and without concern for losing face. A true pity Adam was not the same; she would not have to rely on stealth so much to accomplish more.

“Ah, but I hope you will all be able to travel to Aston come October. My family holds its annual festival in honor of Moreesa and the other gods to thank them for the sea’s bounty and for safe travels on the water.” She added a lightly coaxing smile. “I was telling Lady Emma before you arrived that I thought Lady Lina,” her eyes touched on the silent younger sister, “might enjoy the festival.”

House Beaumarche Elliot Beaumarche's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, but I hope you will all be able to travel to Aston come October. My family holds its annual festival in honor of Moreesa and the other gods to thank them for the sea’s bounty and for safe travels on the water. I was telling Lady Emma before you arrived that I thought Lady Lina might enjoy the festival.

Elliot was taking a hearty drink of the tea he poured for himself, gratuitously sweetened, as he listened to Elizabeth Sheridan's remarks about the upcoming festivities in Aston. He nodded, swallowing, glancing over at sightless, smiling Lina; and then back to Elizabeth, setting down his cup once more, a touch roughly for such fine company. He would have to be forgiven -- but not likely by his sister.

He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, unthinking; and raised his eyebrows as he regarded the Sheridan woman. "Ah, is that so? I did not know Aston participated in such yearly rituals. How large of a crowd are you expecting? I confess -- I know little about the rites given to Moreesa," Elliot said amicably, slipping easily into a comfortable sort of conversation.

House Sheridan Elizabeth Sheridan's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little curious at Emma's silence, Elizabeth glanced to her covertly to gauge if she had said or done something to offend the lady, or if her conversation with Lord Beaumarche had interrupted the lady's intended discussions with her. His presence was clearly unexpected, yet Elizabeth found herself enjoying the quiet exchange with him as she often did not with other gentlemen. Manners prevented her from inquiring directly of Lady Emma, but also ensured she included all three in the conversation.

Blue gaze fell on each face gently while she answered Elliot's inquiry. "A great many people, including the King himself, I believe. I know that he and Queen Nataliah have been invited, though only Adam knows if Their Majesties have accepted as yet." She smiled at Emma next, continuing lightly, "It is not so... formal as rites, per se, but the events of the festival are oriented around the sea, as you might expect. There is to be a ship race, bonfires on the beach, and so on. Even the children are encouraged to take part, building castles of sand for a prize. And my favorite ever since I was a child, setting little boats with lighted lanterns to sail on the last evening with prayers to Moreesa."

Her smile dimmed a little with memories of a time past and other Festivals where her boat had gone laden with wishes unfulfilled. "It makes a beautiful image. The dark sky and the darker water, its surface gilded by a hundred lanterns moving with the tide to follow the path of the moon..." Shaking the memory off, Elizabeth lifted her head and looked next to Elliot. "It is a sight never to be forgotten."

House Beaumarche Elliot Beaumarche's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elliot watched Elizabeth speak animatedly but pleasantly about the rites for Moreesa in Aston, and if she faltered from Emma's lapse in conversation, he did not notice; nay, Elliot barely realized that neither sister of his was hardly speaking. Instead, his eyes were fixed on Elizabeth Sheridan's pale, curved face, as she explained to him the celebrations her family enjoyed on the Low Coast.

A great many people, including the King himself, I believe. I know that he and Queen Nataliah have been invited, though only Adam knows if Their Majesties have accepted as yet. It is not so... formal as rites, per se, but the events of the festival are oriented around the sea, as you might expect. There is to be a ship race, bonfires on the beach, and so on. Even the children are encouraged to take part, building castles of sand for a prize. And my favorite ever since I was a child, setting little boats with lighted lanterns to sail on the last evening with prayers to Moreesa.

The Beaumarche lord's eyes crinkled at the edges as he listened, easily picturing this lighthearted festival; the men manning the one-person schooners, the hand-patted lumps along the beach that were slowly being sculpted, in hopes, of resembling something akin to a castle or a familiar estate. It sounded peaceful, and sweet -- unlike the dark and seductive rituals of the mountains, whose worship took place only long after the sun fell and the shadows took over. They were each important, in their own way, to appease the pantheon; but it somehow seemed fitting, in the very brief time Elliot humored himself to know Lady Sheridan, that a woman such as herself was shrouded in a festival that celebrated light.

It makes a beautiful image. The dark sky and the darker water, its surface gilded by a hundred lanterns moving with the tide to follow the path of the moon... It is a sight never to be forgotten.

"It sounds -- too beautiful to pass up. But perhaps, it is because you speak of it, so eloquently," Elliot said warmly, his hazel eyes still fixed brazenly on Elizabeth's face. He pictured her there, briefly and with alarm, so clear in his mind's eye -- standing barefoot on the beach, her slender fingers tracing lines in the sand.

Abruptly, he turned to look at Emma, thumping his fist loudly on the table; a sudden, strange reaction that startled them both. "Perhaps we'll have to change our plans then, Em, aye?" he said good-naturedly, his mouth curving into a smile beneath his beard.

House Beaumarche Emma Beaumarche's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps we'll have to change our plans then, Em, aye?

Emma had been too distracted trying to understand how her pleasant, female-only invitation had suddenly been co-opted by her brother; and attempting to decipher the strange airs Elliot was putting on, so different than his normal, somewhat bumbling self -- when her brother pointed his question her way. Or rather, Emma knew it was hardly a question, but a statement; apparently he had decided the trajectory of their next few weeks' travel. A bright smile lit Emma's face even if her green eyes darted coolly towards her older brother for making such a rash decision, even if Elizabeth Sheridan was more than sweetly accommodating.

He seemed to be forgetting a few things...

"It truly does sound -- like a lovely opportunity," Emma added, her eyebrows lifting in amusement, as she looked back from Elliot to Elizabeth, offering up their guest a sympathetic expression for her brother's continued intrusion.

It was then that Lena darted in, clapping her hands lightly together, her gaze cast somewhat in Emma's direction. "Oh, Aston sounds marvelous!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12