User Tag List

Thread: Taking My Leave - 8/13 Morning, King's Office - Eva, Cailen, whoever else [closed?]

House Baptiste Evangeline Baptiste's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taking My Leave - 8/13 Morning, King's Office - Eva, Cailen, whoever else [closed?]

The previous day, Evangeline had spent every moment she'd had out of the king's company briefing the castle physicians. They needed to know everything she did about his condition, about all of her recommendations on how his treatment was to continue. She spent extra time with the woman who would end up being Nataliah's personal doctor during the rest of her pregnancy, quizzing her on her practices and judging her preparedness should something go wrong. She imparted all the knowledge she had on the queen's condition, her worries, and a few tricks she'd learned from her mother. By the time she'd retired to the small room she'd been given in the castle, she felt confident that the royal family would be in good hands when she left.

And leaving was exactly what she was going to do.

She had waited, of course, until it was clear that Cailen was actually on the mend. But now she sought audience with the king for a different reason, and she made sure to request an audience formally rather than simply bring up the topic while she checked in on him. It was always best, in her mind, to keep the medical and the political separate whenever possible.

So now she stood outside the King's office, waiting to be allowed in. Her bags were packed, and she was ready to go; all she needed to do was tell the king, and hopefully gain his approval. But either way, she intended to have Hebron far behind her by the time she lay her head down to sleep at the end of the day.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He felt like shit but he couldn't be shocked, he'd been stabbed. He was doing everything he was told to do, which was rest, but he could rest in his study and still do a little work. He'd made that comment to Nataliah and got a lifted eyebrow as a response. With Larson's promise that he'd make him stop working if he looked too worn, Nataliah agreed to not give Cailen too much of a hard time for getting work done. Only the Gods knew how difficult Nataliah could make Cailen's life when he was doing something he shouldn't be doing. It was even worse if she warned him a head of time.

By the Gods did he love that woman.

"Show her in." Cailen was told that Evangeline requested a moment of his time and he couldn't imagine denying the woman that saved his life anything she wanted. As the door opened and Eva walked in, the King smiled and gestured for her to take a seat across from him.

"Is there something you need Lady Baptiste?"

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evangeline entered and bowed deeply, before moving to take the seat Cailen gestured to. "Thank you for taking time to see me, your Majesty. I trust you're doing no worse than when I last saw to you?" It was an odd mix of the formal and the informal. She'd had this man's blood smeared up to her elbows at one point, had held his life in her hands, and still now as he sat in front of her she felt the need to observe the formalities the crown demanded.

Now, all she had to do was figure out how to phrase what she wanted. It might've been easiest to just tell him flat out that she was leaving, but she still needed to make it a conversation rather than a statement.

"I had hoped that we might perhaps be able to discuss the future, as it pertains to both myself and to my fellow Balfourians."

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Thank you for taking the time to stitch me up properly." Cailen returned with a sideways smile. "I am doing no worse though I must admit it feels as though I shall never do any better. This wound is something that I have seen but never experienced and I never witnessed it to go well for others. I am either very lucky or very lucky to know a pair of skilled hands and a smart mind to match."

"I hope you are doing well on this morning?"

He had shifted gingerly in his seat and nodded while she spoke, finally falling upon the reason why she requested a moment of his time.

"If that is what you hoped than we shall discuss this. What is it that you wish to bring to my attention? Is there something you need?"

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Thank you for taking the time to stitch me up properly."

Evangeline smiled back, bowing her head in acknowledgement of the compliment. She wondered if anyone had told him that she hadn't had a choice. That she had been summoned, and then all but kidnapped when she had hesitated upon seeing Langston's severed head. That she had been threatened in very clear terms that if Cailen died, so did she, and possibly every other Balfourian on Tuneric soil. She held none of this against the wounded monarch, though; she had never received such abhorrent treatment by his will, and since regaining consciousness he had put right many of the wrongs done by his mother.

"Perhaps a bit of both, your Majesty," she said with a smirk, implying that he was, in fact, lucky to have had her looking after him. "The gods were certainly looking out for you in some capacity. If that wound of yours had been even an inch in any other direction, we likely would not be sitting here having this conversation right now." Whether the gods had been kind to him was a debatable fact...after all, if they'd truly been kind, wouldn't he have evaded injury altogether?

She didn't miss the shift in position, the slight grimace as the King used muscles that were still knitting together. She noted it without surprise; truthfully he shouldn't even be upright, but a man was a stubborn thing, and a crown only made him more so. "It might have come to your attention that Captain Hutchinson's ship, the Righteous Wind, is anchored in Hebron's harbor. Although it may not look the case, I can assure you he intends no hostile action." She picked her words carefully; she knew full well that Tarran likely wished to tear Hebron down, stone by stone, until he had her on board, but that he would not act since he had heard from her that she was fine. "He has on board every citizen of Balfour that you graciously provided refuge to, with the exception of myself." And Nataliah, of course, but she hadn't ever been a refugee in the first place.

Eva didn't want to rehash the events of the days Cailen had been out, but she didn't know how informed he was of what had truly happened. "It is their intention, and mine as well, to begin the journey home to Balfour, at the soonest opportunity." She didn't speak with any accusation or derision in her tone, but rather openly conversational, giving him plenty of leave to interject or question along the way. "We would like to go on the coming tide tonight, but we wish to do so with your leave and blessing. All of us know that what transpired is no fault of yours, just as Prince Farrand-Calhoun's actions are no fault of ours. We hold you in the highest respect, and you have our utmost gratitude for hosting us in our time of need." She paused again, the weight of her words making it seem like she'd been talking for hours. "We simply feel that the time has come to return home, and bring our people the knowledge that the plague that we ran from can be cured."

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cailen nodded along as Evangeline spoke her piece. It seemed rehearsed and he'd wondered how long she'd been thinking on this conversation in the first place. It didn't really matter, since it was Cailen's permission she asked for, she would receive exactly what she requested. This woman he held in the highest regard, well not higher than his wife, but she had saved his life and the lives of his people. It was now time for her to head back to her home and give them the information she'd tirelessly worked to perfect.

"You needn't trouble yourself with formalities. Lady Baptiste you and your companions may leave as soon as you wish. I do hope, though, that you'll speak to the Queen before you depart. I do not wish to upset her King brother by sending home his people sooner than he has requested." He gestured with only one hand as he spoke. It was obvious that the opposite side was still causing him a bit of pain and so favoring it was the only obvious answer. "I understand the urgency in which you wish to leave. I just think that maybe the Queen will want to send word with you so His Majesty of Balfour does not believe us to be those who would neglect his wishes in favor of our own."

Trying to be diplomatic was a difficult dance but Cailen would try to make sure all loose ends were tied before he upset another monarch.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Relief flooded through Evangeline at Cailen's easy words. She nodded, indicating that she had every intention of following Cailen's wishes. "I will go to her as soon as I leave here. I have no doubt that the Queen will wish to send word to King Lochlan, and I thought it likely that she would wish to see her sister off, as well." That was a meeting and parting that would likely be more than a little heart-wrenching. The bond between Tatianna and Nataliah was a strong one, and parting under any circumstance would be a sad affair. But with things as they were, depending on what Tatianna knew...it would only make the pain of separation worse.

"Thank you for being so understanding. This situation...has been traumatic for everyone in different measure, and there's no bright side for anyone. But I hope that with the resolution that's been made, the damage needn't spread further. I plan on doing everything in my power to make it so." Although she didn't come right out and say it, she knew Cailen would understand that she was referring to the relationship between the two kingdoms. Nataliah writing in her own hand to explain what had happened would go a long way, but she would do whatever she could to make sure the Balfourian king understood that none of the evil that had been done had occurred on Cailen's word. An event like this was one which, if misunderstanding was left to ripen, could ruin diplomatic relations between the two countries. But she would do what she could to keep that from happening.

"I've left my recommendations for your further recovery with your Royal Physicians," she said, now that her departure was planned, "and also with Princess Vivienne." She'd seen enough of Cailen in action to know that he was very likely to ignore his doctors, but that his sister was not so easily shaken. It was her hope that the princess would keep the king in line. "I will give the same information to your wife." This she said with a hint of a smirk, as if that was closing his last door at a chance to disregard his restrictions. "I hope you'll take them seriously...yours is not an injury that's easy to recover from, and it won't be fast, but pushing yourself will only delay your full recovery."

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the mention of Nataliah wanting to say goodbye to her sister, Cailen nodded with a somber expression. It would be difficult for her to be apart from her sister as it were bad enough she hadn't been in contact with her brother. "I thank you for thinking of her." He gave her a gracious smile and inclined his head just enough as to not cause him pain.

"That would be appreciated. After all this time I needed anymore enemies than I seem to have already acquired." Cailen shook his head and sighed. "I would truly be even more grateful to you if there were any way the situation could be cleared up as quickly as possible. I do not wish for your King to find me as a foe after we've been friends for so long." He wouldn't lie, there was a bit of worry but he tried to push it to the back of his mind.

Eva mentioned the royal physicians and Cailen wrinkled his nose. It was understandable that she felt the need to wrap up her assessment of his wounds and health but he'd had enough of discussing it for twelve lifetimes. It was his face that changed as she mentioned first that Viv was given word as well as the fact that she'd be talking to Nataliah too. He wasn't at all shocked but now all the women and physicians in the castle would be on his case night and day and he shot a look to Larson when he heard the man begin to laugh.

"Thank you, Lady Baptiste." He finally responded with a smile. "I do hope that they write to let you know when they've annoyed me to death. That obituary will be short and sweet." He chuckled once or twice before he had to stop as his side sent pain coursing through his body.

"Do not let me hold you up. Go home. See your family. Help your country." He gave the woman a kind smile and nodded. "Please excuse me if I do not stand to see you out."

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evangeline added 'speak with King Lochlan' to the list of things she needed to do when she returned to Balfour, and she nodded to the monarch that sat before her. "I'll do everything I can. It's probably safe to risk assuming that you'll receive word shortly after we arrive, either from myself after I've delivered the message or from King Farrand-Calhoun himself." She only hoped the situation back home would allow for her to be able to speak with the king. It was almost a weeks' journey from the port to the capital in Moorford Estates under good conditions, but a promise had been made, and Evangeline would do her best to keep it.

With a wry smile, Evangeline chuckled as Cailen lamented the fact that he was surely to die by henpecking. "You're very welcome," she said with a bit of laughter still in her voice. "If it is of interest to you, I've also left some notes with your wife about what to expect in the coming months. If you have a mind, it might provide the opportunity for you to return the favor, so to speak." As stubborn as she'd seen Cailen be, she knew full well that Nataliah was nearly as bull-headed. Many men had no appetite for any talk of the details of pregnancy beyond what was involved in conception, but if Cailen could stomach it, he could nag his wife when she overextended herself just as she could do to him.

"Thank you." Evangeline stood, and bowed deeply before the King of Tuneric. "It has been an honor to be of service to you, Your Majesty. You have all my wishes for a swift recovery. I look forward to the next time we meet."

Bowing once more, Evangeline turned and let herself out, passing by the guard who had been a near-constant presence beside Cailen and giving him a smile and nod. The door clicked closed behind her, and Eva went through the halls with a weight lifted from her heart. Now she had to seek out the Queen, and then take care of any last minute preparations before she could finally board the ship that would see her home.