User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Daughters' Daughters Will Adore Us - 9/22 evening, The Ruby's Setting - The Girls [open]

House Hallward Allison Hallward's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our Daughters' Daughters Will Adore Us - 9/22 evening, The Ruby's Setting - The Girls [open]

The correspondence from Gisela had been somewhat illuminating. What had started off as more of a sounding board for frustrations was quickly developing into something that Allison Hallward had not anticipated, and she was forced to wonder if the priestess did not have lofty goals than she had first claimed. If word out of Welch Run could be believed, their numbers would soon include a Fairfax, and a Shellten. The situation was getting more dangerous, and with high profile nobles such as those, hiding themselves was going to be more and more difficult.

It was not that she had to question her resolve. Any time that internal debate surfaced, all the woman had to do was remind herself of the sister she had lost, and she quickly found the nerve to press on. Though she was intrigued by the addition of a Fairfax. King Cailen was a merciful man, and he was like to forgive his family a great number of sins, but from what Allison understood, Edward Fairfax could be as stalwart has her brother Bradyn. It was well and good that she and Gisela were helping the lesser castes to better themselves, but the powerful lords of the island would not take well to knowing that their precious bargaining chip sisters were in league to rise against them.

The modifications to her estate had taken some time, and a bit of Hallward coin, but as the woman looked around the place at the wide open room, and the array of couches and tables, she had to smile at the way everything had come together. She was indeed well pleased. Her guests would be arriving at any moment, and she wanted everyone to be comfortable.

As though on cue, one of the peasant women who had come to join them, Delia, as Allison recalled, came shyly into the room. "More carriages are coming, my lady. But a rider has come just behind me. A man."

Turning, Hallward smiled. "Please, we are sisters, Delia. Call me Allison." Moving to give the woman a hug, and bidding her to sit, the lady's brows knit in consternation. "A man?" She hissed through her teeth and looked out at the hall. "Bradyn," she seethed as she made her way in the direction of the door.

When she arrived, Allison nearly pulled the thing from its frame. "What is it...oh." The man before her was most decidedly not her brother, and by the way he was casting his eyes about curiously, she assumed that he was lost. "Can I help you with something?"

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dorin had dallied in Welch Run longer than he had planned. There had been a good deal of uncertainty in him when he had gotten the missive from his cousin that had instructed him to go to Aston for the upcoming festival there. It was the home of Adam Sheridan and his family now, but the knight knew that if he went, he would see nothing but reminders of the time when he had been a young squire in the service of Gage Rivers. Those had been dark times, and he was not wont to revisit them. When Gisela had mentioned that she and some of her friends were gathering in Stone Forge, and that he would be welcome, he had given it a good deal of thought.

Taking his time crossing the island, he had lingered just outside of Slate Valley for a few days, trying to work up the courage to call on Emma Beaumarche. She had been much in his thoughts since that evening they had met in the plains, but he did not wish to presume that she had enjoyed his company as much as he had hers.

So when the trail of visitors to the small keep outside Stone Forge began to make their way towards the gates, Dorin had gone ahead, hoping to find Gisela there. Perhaps he would find something here that would give him direction. Or perhaps Emma would even be in attendance.

When the woman answered the door, Hunter was immediately disarmed by her beauty. She was not expecting him, which only made the situation worse when he tried to get the words out of his mouth. "I uhh...," he faltered, looking about nervously. "I was invited by Lady Gisela," he finally said as a carriage pulled to a stop behind him. He glanced over his shoulder, but did not recognize the woman who exited and strolled by him with a nod to the woman at the door.

As if suddenly refocused by the passing, Dorin snapped back to himself. "Apologies, my lady. If I was misinformed, I shall not trouble you."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had it been any other night, Allison would have been pleasantly surprised to find the stranger at her door. He was awkward and had an odd charm about him, but the Hallward girl was fond of his smile. But on this night, he was the wrong gender, and Allsion was struggling to comprehend why the priestess would have given him the impression that he would be welcome. The entire premise of these clandestine meetings was the fact they were at the exclusion of men. And as her sisters continued to arrive, Allison had the misfortune of the enemy on her doorstep.

She knew that the expression on her face confirmed his suspicion that he was not welcome, but she found herself shaking her head. Gritting her teeth, she let the frustration melt into a soft grin. "Don't be silly, my lord. At this hour, it would be unkind of us to turn you away." Swinging the door open, Hallward waited for him to pass. "Please, make yourself comfortable," she said, motioning the man to a couch that would be well out of the way of their discussions.

The problem with equality among sisters was that even though she were a noble, and there were servants in the estate, she couldn't simply direct them to prepare a room for her guest. But that was fine as far as Allison was concerned. Even though a few of the other girls had volunteered to assist her, she declined happily. Nothing built goodwill like demonstrating exactly what you had preached in the past. And so she excused herself for a few moments and went to prepare quarters for the one guest she had not anticipated.

A few moments later, she returned to find a few more guests had arrived, and had fallen into two camps. Half seemed interested in the man, gathering about to ask why he was there, and discussing how he knew Gisela. The remainder seemed immediately hostile to the man, and were visibly bothered by his presence. Just as she was about to mediate and offer reassurances, the priestess entered, and a hush fell over the room.
    Last edited by Rick; 04-19-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last thing that Gisela had expected when she had arrived to the Hallward Estate was to find a commotion. With the real possibility of Marianne Shellten and Victoria Fairfax attending their gathering, it would simply not do to have this kind of drama unfolding. "Sisters," she said as she entered the room and immediately saw the reason for concern. "Be at ease, sisters. You have my assurance than Ser Dorin is a kindred spirit, and that you have nothing to fear of him.

At her words, the women who were apprehensive seemed to fall back a measure, and Gisela caught the Hunter rising as if to excuse himself. Turning on him, she pointed a finger. "Sit," she commanded, and Dorin stared hard at her for a moment before relenting. Offering him her warmest smile, she inclined her head. "Thank you."

Moving to the center of the room, Gisela fixed Allison with an embrace, and patted her back lightly. "And thank you for having us," she told the other woman, kissing her on both cheeks in turn. As she surveyed the room, she spoke with her hostess almost casually. "Larger turnout than I expected. With more still coming in. I am glad for the strong showing tonight of all nights." In fact, everything had appeared to be falling into place. Provided that her guests arrived as she expected they would.

It was convenient that this meeting was scheduled in Stone Forge, and not at one of her temples. Here, despite what they aimed for, Hallward luxury reigned. And the walls lined with books would no doubt appeal to her special guests.
    Last edited by Rick; 04-21-2014 at 05:40 PM.

House Shellten Marianne Shellten's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marianne enjoyed making a statement on arrival, timing herself to be fashionable tardy. Invited to the gathering of women at Stone Forge, she journeyed to the area without concern for pretext on why she did so. As a Shellten, she deemed it her privilege to travel where she pleased as she pleased. If pressed, she could cite some political nonsense about being on an errand for Cailen, but most knew the folly of doing so. Her temper was hardly the stuff of legends, but when provoked, she could prove a lethal foe.

Arriving without fanfare at the Hallward estate, Marianne eschewed high fashion for a deceptively simple gown of deep blue, one that suited her eyes. Her dark hair was left to fall freely, a few locks drawn back from her face and caught in a ribbon as she greeted the servant who opened the door to her with a sweet smile. "Good evening. I am here to see Lady Allison Hallward. I believe she is expecting me?" No mention was made of Gisela while she waited for word of her presence to be conveyed to her hostess and an invitation to enter granted.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attending the meeting in Stone Forge appealed to Victoria Fairfax a lot more then attending the festival in Aston. Promising to join her family when her visit was over, she had no intentions of traveling to Aston, knowing that there were few Rivers left. She did not know the Sheridans aside from Aislynn, but had no real problems with them. However, she had other items to pursue and none of them were in Aston.

Following the instructions that Gisela gave her, Victoria took rooms with her maid and one of the Fairfax grooms to act as chaperone. Too bad Lea was busy being married, she might have enjoyed the journey, but her cousin had other matters on her mind. A quick thought went in Xavier's direction, smiling to herself. He might be very proud of her for following his instructions, even if this wasn't exactly what he meant.

She dressed with care, remembering what the priestess said about the company she would find herself in. This wasn't a dress to impress sort of event. Instead, this was a gathering where her mind and her soul were far more important then her gown. Victoria chose an unadorned dress and cloak, leaving her hair down to seem more casual and approachable. Feeling a little excited for the gathering to come, she headed for the manor house to join a family of her own choosing.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The young woman who had answered the door was smiling as she saw greater numbers approaching. Beckoning Marianne to enter, she nodded. "Lady Hallward is inside," she said. "Please make yourself comfortable, and I will fetch her presently." As the woman moved into the estate, she swiveled past the princess and made her way over to where Allison was standing. Turning to motion back to the woman who had just entered, she said something that elicited a blind nod from her mistress.

As Hallward moved to greet the newcomer, she got within about a dozen paces before her steps began to slow a pace. Turning back to look at Gisela, she found the other woman not paying attention, and so she continued on to where the woman in the blue dress was standing. "My Lady," she said with a very soft curtsy, so as not to alert anyone else of the oddity of the Shellten woman's presence. "I am honored to have you here at The Setting," she said with a small smile. "Please, come in and join us," she offered, waving over one of the other girls to see if Marianne required anything.

Stealing a quick glance at the knight, and then at the priestess, and then back at the princess, Allison was beginning to wonder just what in the hells was happening this evening. It was obvious that some of the regular girls shared her confusion, as some had begun to turn their heads to observe the newcomer. Allison desperately needed to speak with Gisela, but turned back to the Shellten woman so as to keep the masses from descending on her. There was a slight panic when she realized that none of the rooms in her estate were suited for royalty, but she would have to find something that would work later. "It's a pleasure to see you again," she told Marianne, knowing it must have been at least two years since they had crossed paths. "Your travels were not too terrible, I hope?"

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Hunter had been sitting on the end of one of the couches, looking uncomfortable and fidgeting with the buttons on his tunic when the Shellten girl had arrived. Marianne had been recognizable when she entered, as Dorin had seen her recently in Welch Run. Most of the others seemed to pick up on the fact that she was something of an oddity, as they soon stopped probing him with questions and went to huddle about and investigate the woman's presence.

A few moments later, Dorin could feel a soft draft from the entrance to the estate, and he turned to see who or what might come through the door next. When he turned back and realized that nobody else seemed to notice, Dorin frowned. "Hey...umm," he glanced at the door again and sighed. "I got it," he mumbled under his breath and made his way over to the vestibule.

Pulling open the inner door to the building, Dorin Hunter saw a young woman a few feet back, waiting patiently. "Good evening," he said with a warm smile. "You must be here for the meeting," he guessed, though he could imagine no other reason. She was not nearly as recognizable as the previous guest, but then again, he didn't know most of those gathered. Point of fact, Dorin didn't even know what the meeting was about. "May I take your cloak, my lady," he asked as he held the door while she entered. "The others are already gathered inside."

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Entering as bidden, Marianne thanked the young woman and stood apart as instructed to await Lady Allison's attention. There were feminine voices trickling to her ears, a positive sound to her way of thinking, though she noticed Sir Dorin. Greeting him with a slight smile and a nod of her head, she deemed his presence a puzzle, one to be solved once the meeting was completed. A rush of air at her back indicated another arrival, but before Marianne could observe the newest lady, Allison was on approach.

The surprise on the lady's face both amused and intrigued Marianne; had Gisela failed to inform the ladies that she had been invited? Clearly, she took their hostess by surprise as she discreetly waved off any effort to curtsy. "Please, call me Marianne. I am the one honored to be invited to join you this evening." She did her best not to be intimidating or unapproachable; in fact, she turned on the warmth to smooth matters over.

Gisela was otherwise engaged by the looks of her, leaving poor Allison to contend with the unexpected and lofty guest. Marianne was not concerned about status here, hers or anyone else's, but she also did not want to linger if her presence created an uncomfortable strain. "They were tolerable, thank you for asking. It is a good time of year for travel, though. Not too warm during the day, cool at night, and soon the trees will paint themselves in a glory of colors." Marianne stole a glance around to see if others were recognized, before inquiring lightly, "Have you been well? We've missed you in Hebron, but life does have a way of interfering."

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charlotte debated whether or not to come for several weeks, at times working up the courage and at others, feeling it get smashed down. Marianne had reassured her that all would be well, but that was not quite enough to cease Charlotte's worries. When Charlotte was truthful with herself, however, the need to see a future with their dreams realized far outweighed her fear of retribution. Charlotte Hunter should hardly be considered a fearful fool. She had a reputation to maintain, but not for other people. No, she had a reputation to maintain for herself. Thus, with a spine of steel, she made her approach of the manor.

In contrast to her lady's blue, Charlotte had bedecked a becoming red gown. In the way that knights chose their armor for the battlefield, Charlotte did much the same thing. She acknowledged that some did not care for fashion as a general rule, but overall, a woman's style of dress told a great deal about her. With this, Charlotte was announcing she was comfortable with whom she was and, daresay, proud of it. The burnished gold waves streamed down toward the middle of her back, refusing to constrain it for the evening.

She was getting closer to the door. Voices could be heard, one of them oddly familiar to her. A dark brow furrowed, trying to place it as she finished her approach.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She hung back as another was ushered in. From the looks of the woman's dark hair and svelte figure, Victoria thought it was one of the Princesses but pushed that thought aside. Gisela hadn't said anything about royal patronage, so it was unlikely that her eyes saw rightly. Waiting for her turn to be shown in, she was surprised to see the man, a face she did not know, but smiled politely in spite of his frown as he stood in the doorway. Had she come to the wrong place at the wrong time? Hesitating, she looked up at him, grateful when he confirmed that she hadn't made a huge mistake.

The smile brightened as she nodded. "Yes, I am. I was a little worried I had come to the wrong place, but thankfully, I haven't. Good evening, by the way." Blue eyes twinkled at him. "Thank you, you may." Fingers unfastened the clasp of her cloak as she turned a little to let him remove her cloak. "Oh, am I late? I was hoping to be right on time. I'm Victoria Fairfax, by the way."

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The priestess managed to break away from her conversation just as there seemed to be some bottlenecking at the door. With a polite smile, Gisela excused herself and crossed the room to usher the last of her guests inside. As she moved silently past Hallward and Shellten, she slowed long enough to drag a delicately painted fingernail down Marianne's forearm, but kept moving as she did so.

Reaching the place where Dorin Hunter was awkwardly greeting her visitors, Gisela rested a hand on his shoulder. "Thank you, sir," she said to him softly. Turning her attention to Victoria, she smiled. "I am so glad you could join us, my lady. Won't you please come inside?" As she cleared a path, the woman kissed the Fairfax lady on both cheeks in turn, and then leaned close. "I am glad to see you," she whispered as Victoria went by.

As the next woman approached, Gisela smiled. "Charlotte! Welcome home," she said pleasantly. Practically pulling the girl through the doorway, she embraced her. Leaning back, she smiled. "I believe you know, Ser Dorin," she said with a wink, and turned to see the knight with his mouth agape. Two fingers rose to the man's face and pushed his chin back into place. "We'll all have time to chat later," she said, reassuring the man. "But I fear our little meeting is coming to order."

Leaving the man in the back of the room, Gisela moved the two girls forward, allowing Charlotte to break off in Marianne's direction, if she so chose. A small red-haired woman, a little heavy and with many freckles was making her way to the center of the room, and the priestess maneuvered herself and Victoria closer to where Allison, Marianne and Charlotte had seated themselves.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taking her seat next to Marianne and Charlotte, Allison smiled a welcome to Victoria who was sitting by Gisela just a few meters away. The room had grown quiet as the unassuming, slender, fiery-haired woman meandered to the open space at the center of the room. "Finnella Mallen," she whispered to the two women next to her. "A protege that I found when she was younger. Her father was my tutor, and she may well be smarter than he." Reclining back, Hallward folded her hands in her lap and interlaced her fingers to keep them from fidgeting with anticipation.

"Sisters," the girl began, seeming to focus on the entire congregation at the same time. "Our presence here is a blessing. Tonight we make it known to each other that no matter the path we walk, there is solidarity in the steps we take. A pledge to the cause, and to each other, that no matter what travails we face, we will face them as a single body, determined that none of us are above the rest, and that none are above us as a collective. In unity we have strength. In conjunction, we shall forge a militia of the mind. In confidence we will stride not in the shadows of men, but in the light of knowledge and equality."

Allison was nodding her head approvingly, a smile on her face, and again she had to resist the urge to applaud. Finnella was far from finished. Stealing a glance at her guests, she tried to gauge their own reactions.

The speaker paused for effect, but only for a moment. Without so much as a deep breath, or a clearing of the throat, her voice boomed out louder, and more convicted. "Power. It trickles down from father to son, generation after generation. Our counsel, whispered if dare spoken at all, goes unheard and unheeded. Do they know better than we, because they were born with their organs outside of their bodies?" There was a small spattering of negative responses from some of the women who were in agreement with the rhetoric, but Allison only nodded her approval, locking eyes with the speaker, as if urging her on. "We don't want anarchy. We don't want revolution. We are not taking up arms. Not yet."

The speaker was now shaking her head, a warm smile on her own face. "Of course not. We want books," she explained, her tone softening. "We want to help our families in ways other than as bartering chips in political and economical alliances. We want to find our own place in the hierarchy. We are just as capable. Just as intelligent. Just as witty and debonair," she said with a chuckle, as she propped herself in a manly pose that mocked the high society brandy tastings and horse parades that the men of Tuneric favored. "But," she said sharply, stopping to look around the room. "We will not beg. And we will not cower. And we will not be rebuffed. If it is action that men understand, then sisters...I implore you, be ready to take action."

@Victoria Fairfax @Charlotte Hunter @Marianne Shellten
    Last edited by Rick; 06-09-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charlotte blinked when she saw Gisela burst forth to embrace her. It had been... years since she had seen the woman last, noticing that she had not changed all that much. Granted, that gave Charlotte no cause to complain: she had a feeling that Gisela would always be a beautiful, vibrant and alluring woman. The hug was returned with a quiet laugh, but she barely had enough time to recover her wits when she said a name. "Dorin?" She echoed lamely, her eyes turning wide as she took in the sight of her nephew. The tawny haired woman looked a bit like a fish while was drawn into the room. Dorin would be dealt with later, she supposed!

Forcing herself to keep calm, she settled into a seat beside Marianne. A small smile of greeting was sent to Allison, appreciating the name of the woman about to give the speech. When it began, Charlotte's eyes seemed to focus only on Finnella, her face and the words that came from her. They seemed to wash over Charlotte, finding herself more entranced and intrigued by the ideas put forth. They were intelligent, inspiring and, dare she think it, inciteful. For the first time in a long time, she felt herself moved... moved to tears. A hand quickly stole up to wipe them away before showing her approval through applause.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The speaker given a high recommendation indeed by Lady Allison, Marianne turned the entirety of her attention to Finnella's words. Though brief, there was no doubt of the woman's impassioned stance regarding the stake of the women in Tuneric. She smiled a little to herself, appreciating Finnella's display of charisma before her gaze swept the faces of the women gathered around her. For a moment, she allowed her eyes to rest on Sir Dorin, admittedly curious as to the presence of the Hunter knight but did not permit herself to be distracted for long.

Lowering her eyes as Finnella brought her speech to a point, she thought on the forthcoming plans that would need to be made to facilitate preparedness. Opportunities were coming, of that she was confident, if they kept eyes open and minds focused on the agenda at stake. There were ways and means readily available, now that she began to consider it, though the methods of accomplishment were likely to tax the extent of her creativity. Still, the ends were well worth the effort expended to bring dream to reality.

Her eyes lifted once more, a brief sidelong glance aware of the words' impact on Charlotte that prompted her to reach over and give her lady's hand a subtle, supportive squeeze before she withdrew to lend her own applause as a well-deserved meed of praise to so noteworthy a speaker. If Finnella was any indication of the level of intelligence available, the men of Tuneric would find themselves thoroughly challenged indeed.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seated on the other side of Gisela, Victoria was impressed by the sheer amount of women gathered, but especially by some of the notables. Princess Marianne, for one. A Hunter lady, and Lady Allison Hallward. She sat quietly, but when the young woman got up and began to speak, she found herself unable to do anything but listen enraptured. The words were a true reflection of what Victoria herself wanted, not only for herself but for her daughter, and her daughters' daughters when that time came.

She was relieved to know she wasn't alone in thinking or feeling the way she had, that there were plenty of other women in Tuneric who were sick of being dictated to by men just because they were men. Whether Xavier would agree with this kind of gathering or not, these were the kind of women he'd encouraged her to meet with and talk to. They were soldiers on the front line of the gender-war! Inspired and touched, Victoria added her applause to the others who praised the speaker for her eloquence.

Much as she wanted to join the fight, Victoria understood the warning in Finnella's words. This wasn't about a hostile take-over, or fighting an all-out war. There were other ways, subtler ways, in which the battle could be waged and won without taking on male resentment. Victoria sighed, controlling her urge to run out and begin the fight. There were times and places. Not yet. She had to be patient, something she wasn't very good at. Strange enough, Cat was.

Maybe she needed to take a good, hard look at her sister.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Watching the events unfold with an interested eye, Dorin listened to the speaker with a sudden discomfort. He was not entirely sure what was going on here, but at points in the woman's speech, he caught a few accusing glares directed at him. Squirming a little bit, he did his best to obscure himself from the rest of the crowd, but strained to stay focused on Finnella.

What she was saying, was tantamount to treason, especially if any of the lords of Tuneric, or even their husbands and fathers were present to hear it. But they seemed unified in the matter, and that was even more frightening. How long had this been going on? Did it extend to people and places beyond this room?

The conviction was astounding, and the tone was damning. And Dorin looked about the room at the applause that started softly, and then rose to a crescendo. Her words had been moving, and Dorin was a forward thinker. He didn't necessarily disagree with their desires. He would support them, if he really thought they have a platform, and from an intellectual standpoint he would be happy to join the debate. But as he panned the small estate, and saw the individual makeup of the organization, one thing kept ringing in his mind.

They are going to be crushed.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The priestess could sense the power in the room. She could see the women ready to stand and congratulate the woman. But she knew well that Finnella was not yet finished. A quick exchange of glances between herself and Allison revealed that they were waiting. The speaker had started down a course that she need not be urged to pursue. But the pair of conspirators had always risen to halt her on previous occasions. The girl, Gisela knew, had more to say. She had always had more to say. But Hallward and Darktide had been saving the fire until the company warranted it. "Wait," she whispered softly to Victoria as she sensed the others in the room waiting for her or Allison to move to the podium.

Instead, the woman merely folded her hands over top of her crossed legs and stared at Mallen with a hint to anticipation. The young speaker had caught her breath. And when she saw neither of her superiors coming to relieve her, she sipped at her water glass and moved back to the center of the room.

Now was the time. Now was the moment that the women would push all in for their struggle. Now was a minute they would find out who was truly with them, and who was only hear for the ideology of their sentiments. Casting a quick glance about the room, Gisela could see the fear in Dorin Hunter's eyes. As though he had opened a box and saw something that he was never meant to see. Something that he wished he could unsee, even though that was now impossible. She wondered what the newcomers thought, and knew that they were eager to hear how this would unfold. Now was the point of no return.

Order of the Willow Finnella Mallen's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a moment, Finnella let her eyes dart around the room. She caught the patient nod from Gisela, and then glanced to Allison, who in turned looked at the priestess, and when her oldest friend also didn't make a move to assume the mantle, Finnella could feel a nervous tension begin to build in the pit of her stomach. Even as she cleared her throat and took a sip from the water glass, she looked down her nose and saw the liquid shift and rumble from the trembling of her hands. She clenched the cup tighter, attempting to force the tremors to cease. This was the moment she had been waiting for, wasn't it? This was the speech she had been waiting to deliver for months.

As she finally set the glass down, she took inventory of the room once more. There was an electricity in the room that she could feel. It was building slowly, but she couldn't help but feel that if she reached out and touched any of those who were gathered, that blue arcs would leap from her fingers the same way they had when she and Allison had been running around the carpeted rooms of Firefell as children. Except now, she felt like it threatened to escape her control. Threatened to bring the walls down around her. Threatened to lay waste to the entirety of Tuneric. And the little hairs on the back of her neck began to stand up, serving to illustrate the very real sensation of what she knew to be impossible.

"It starts with books," she said calmly, motioning to the cases of tomes that lined the walls. "All higher stations, whether based in class or gender, derive their power from information, and their ability to withhold information from others. It does not matter if they are bigger, stronger, more heavily armed," she said, her voice suddenly bold again. "If there are those among you who can not read, then the rest of us will teach you. If you don't have access to books, we will give them to you. If there are women who need us but can not reach us, then we will go to them."

Looking out to the crowd, Finnella saw the new faces. Strong faces with powerful voices and superior educations. "We will take our struggle to the oppressed. In Hebron, Stone Forge, Suffolk, Laurie Hill, and all the other corners of the land. The gods have already begun to cleanse the land of the old ways. Plague, disaster, and revolution have begun to slacken the patriarchal chains that have kept us down. The old lords are losing ground to a younger generation...a generation that we women have the power to influence and make our own. Shellten, Fairfax, Hallward, MacHeath, Morgan, Armistead, Sheridan, Metcalfe and countless other houses are cursed with young lords, with either babes or women for heirs," she proclaimed. "Sisters," her tone changed and became far more casual and unassuming. "We are but a few bad meals or bucking horses or faulty ships from the seats of power in this land. We need to be ready," Finnella cautioned. "We must be prepared to guide our homes with knowledge, should the unthinkable happen." And if they had a hand in the unthinkable, so be it. But she would not offer that publicly as a solution.

Rounding back to the small podium, she smiled. "I am ready," she said resolutely. "But I can not lead this struggle alone. Who will lend their voice to mine?"

@Charlotte Hunter @Victoria Fairfax @Marianne Shellten
    Last edited by Finnella Mallen; 06-17-2014 at 08:24 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tears were gone. Charlotte both loved and hated the power of her emotions. They could get the best of her during the worst of times, but they also gave her strength. There were times when stoicism and cold hearts could accomplish nothing that a fiery, passionate soul might achieve. Despite Charlotte's calm and gentle exterior, there burned a passion within her. Thus, it was only natural that Finella's words were listened with great interest. The time for women to show their worth was fast coming, and there was something in the back of her mind that was quietly warning her. Surely Finella would not be so lighthearted over the deaths of those young lords, so that women might get their way. They would, indeed, be any better than the men that have suppressed them through the centuries?

Yet, despite that warning, Charlotte found herself speaking. "I will lend my voice to yours, even if it is only to share the message with our fellow sisters. Ignorance is the weapon of the oppressor and I will see them stripped bare." The smile was a faint one, but it was not cold. It was full of promise. Too many women had been robbed of power only because of the curse of their birth, the curse of that with which they were born. "Besides, we have a precedent that we can use to garner more strength: women are allowed to be knights. True, there are more men than women in the Orders, but from that we can derive example. If a woman can don the armor and yield the sword in the name of the Kingdom, then why not go further?" She nodded to Finnella and smiled faintly.

"As such, I not only lend my voice to yours, but I stand with you. I stand with all of you." Granted, there was more that Charlotte would say, but she had no interest in drawing the light to her. This was Finnella's moment. This was a moment for the Sisterhood.

@Finnella Mallen, @Marianne Shellten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast