User Tag List

Thread: The bearer of bad news - 9/25, Jenner's Study - Jenner/Rose [closed]

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bearer of bad news - 9/25, Jenner's Study - Jenner/Rose [closed]

The dispatch was beginning to blur on the page. Jenner had been staring at the official letter from the King for about twenty minutes now, and he was quite unsure how he was gonna handle it. There had been nothing but bad luck and difficulty with the Yarwood girl for a month, and now her dearest Elston did Jenner the discourtesy of dying of the plague. His brain was working overtime, trying to figure out if this burden could be turned into a blessing, but he wasn't seeing how that might be possible.

Violet was similarly dismayed when he had shown her, but had dutifully gone off to fetch Rose at Jenner's request. The man had not really figured out which tact he would use to break the news, and she had finally started becoming useful around the nest, and Jenner had fears that this would only cause a relapse in her emotional stability.

He had eschewed the wine in the cabinet, and had poured a tall glass of brandy, leaving it on the side of the desk she would be sitting at, along with the remainder of the bottle. Jenner assumed there would be tears, but as her captor, and the man who had kept her from being there with him, he couldn't imagine that she would let him console her. Best to just let her get drunk and cry, more than likely.

When there was a knock on the door, he called out for his visitor to enter. Looking over at her, Jenner smiled weakly. "Hello Roselin," he said mildly. "Please, have a seat." Dismissing the other girl, he set the dispatch down and folded his hands over it. "How are you, my love?"

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mopping the floors seemed like the only thing she'd mastered. Chores were coming to her more easily now and the women that worked along with her directly gave her small words of praise to encourage her. They knew it was best to stay on Jenner's good side and they were certainly helping her keep out of trouble.

She was told by Miss Violet that her presence was requested by Lord Pavon and she quietly made her way to meet with him. The door opened, she bowed and announced she had come to see him as per his request and he'd gestured for her to sit. She furrowed her brow in question, it was strange that he'd offer her a seat at his desk but she did as she was asked and perched herself on the edge of the seat with her shoulders straight and her chin held high.

"Lord Pavon, I am doing fine." She went to ask him how he fared but instead she cut right to the chase. "Have I done something to upset you My Lord?" Her worry was now showing and she didn't want to be met with another bucket of water. She had no idea why she was called and all she could do was hold her breath and wait.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Lord of Lawnbury shook his head softly and then reached across the desk, pouring a smaller glass of brandy from the bottle before reclining back with it. "No, Rose," he said with a sigh. "In fact, I am pleased by the reports I have had on your adjusting to the ways of our home. Violet is fond of you, and the other girls have seemed to soften on your presence as well. It is nice to see you making friends."

Lifting the glass to sip, Jenner winced at the taste but licked the remainder from his lips. "I have had word from your cousin, King Lochlan. It seems that he has been looking for you." That was obviously a forgone matter though, and she must have known it to be true without him revealing as much. "I'm afraid that the plague that has affected most of the nation has gotten worse. Especially in Chatlawn," he told her, as he lifted a pair of fingers to his temple in an attempt to alleviate what was clearly an oncoming stress headache.

Kicking the rest of the glass back, Jenner finished it in a single gulp, and then cleared his throat. "Your brother...took ill, Rose. He's gone." Jenner watched and waited, wondering if the news would be met with outrage, depression, or confusion, and prepared for the eventuality of all three.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was giving her compliments, or that was how she was to interpret his words. He was pleased to hear that she'd sorted herself out and picked up a broom. Rose kept her mouth shut and nodded. Her shoulders back and her hands folded in her lap, she watched as he slid back in his chair and lifted a letter up off the surface of his desk.

The King was looking for her and that was to be expected she supposed. If Elston couldn't find her he would of course ask their cousin for assistance in finding her whereabouts. It was when he mentioned the plague had gotten worse and landed in Chatlawn that she tilted her head in question. Jenner got to the point quickly and it certainly hit Rose hard. For a moment she had to concentrate on Jenner's eyes. She wasn't sure she'd heard him correctly. Her lips parted and her mouth fell open.

Elston is dead. She would never see him again. Never.

Rose opened her mouth to speak but then decided against it. Instead she pressed her lips together in a thin line as tears began to roll down her cheeks. "I'm not foolish enough to ask if he suffered. I am sure he did." She wasn't there to hold his hand, though on a more practical note she wasn't there to die by his side either. Swallowing hard she finally burst into tears and covered her face with her hands.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a long moment, Jenner believed that the woman was going to hold together. He could see the mists gathering in her eyes, but her breathing was steady. Before he could answer her questions about how much her brother had suffered, she broke down. A small frown formed at the corners of his mouth, but he didn't say anything. It was best not to insult her with assurances that he could not swear to.

Rising, the Lord of Lawnbury moved around his desk and turned her seat out from its position. "It's alright, Rose," he said in a tone that was so soothing it surprised even him. Picking up the bottle and tall glass of brandy, he set them casually on the end table of the couch that faced the fireplace. Returning, Jenner scooped the slight frame of the weeping girl into his arms, cradling her head into the nook of his shoulder. Lowering himself on the corner of the couch, he set her across his lap, still with her arms draped over his neck as she cried.

Lifting the glass from the end table, he brought it around to her cheek. "Here, Rose. Drink this, it will make you feel better." Rather than try to force it on her, he waited for her to take the glass. Hopefully, she would drink it quickly, as her sobbing was likely to send her into a coughing fit if she tried to sip at the strong liquor. "Your brother isn't suffering any longer, and that is what matters," he told her, his left hand instinctively rubbing her back as the right one held the glass aloft.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She wasn't sure how it had happened but she ended up in Jenner's lap with a glass of brandy in her hand and she was drinking it down. Jenner was speaking and Rose could hear him but the words were not really settling into her mind. Once the glass was empty she buried her face back into Jenner's neck and simply cried.

Rose nodded in confirmation that she agreed with Jenner's words. In between breathing and sobs she whispered to the man holding her. "He was my best friend ... My only friend." Tears were pouring down her cheeks and she gripped the sleeves of his shirt tightly with her free hand. "What will I do without him?"

@Jenner Pavon
    Last edited by Roselin Yarwood; 05-20-2014 at 09:08 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a soft sigh of resignation as she finished her drink and buried her head back into the crook of his arm. He knew now that he should have been more forceful with her from the start. He should have done more to separate Roselin from the idea of her brother. He should have bedded her instead of coddling her. But now there was nothing for it. Now, he was forced to play the role of soothsayer, instead of just being a harbinger of death. "I don't know," he conceded, in answer to her question.

Refilling her glass, he held it back to her. "For now, we drink," he said. There was nothing else for it. He had already done what he could. He had sent for a maester to attend her in the morning, he had commissioned a black dress for her to wear in mourning. He had even had a private room prepared so that she could grieve in peace. How long the process took would be up to her. As long as it didn't go on too long, or result in her trying to escape. "Elston no longer feels any pain. Let us endeavor to banish the feeling as well."

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She nodded to him as she took her refilled glass and drank from it. It was true that her tears would not bring him back or fix what had been done to her and her family. "For now, we drink." Rose repeated before downing the rest of the glasses contents. He seemed to be honestly caring for her now and she realized this fact. Jenner held her so closely and, for once, sweetly.

Once the glass was empty she retired back to her original position and pressed her lips gently against Jenner's neck. "Thank you for being honest with me." She whispered. Rose stopped sobbing but the tears did not stop falling and she sniffled quietly. "You didn't have to tell me anything and I appreciate that."

@Jenner Pavon
    Last edited by Roselin Yarwood; 05-21-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that she was cutting her pain with the brandy was encouraging in his eyes, and even though she had curled back into him, Jenner poured another glass, in case she decided it was needed. Even he couldn't be sure how the events would affect her position. Eventually, and especially now that Elston was dead, she would find a way to sneak a letter out to her cousin. And Jenner was loathe to challenge the might of Moorford, even if he did have the most defensible castle in the isles. If she asked to go, he was going to have to consider the request.

The wet kiss on his neck was a surprise, even when the tears pressed into his skin were not. The man was unsure how to react. He had been meaning to take the woman to bed, sealing her position among the rest of the girls, but now it seemed as though it would be wrong. And the fact that he was caught in a moral dilemma unnerved him more than he had anticipated. "I am not without compassion, Rose. I care for you, or you would not be here," he assured her, though his amount of concern for each of the girls paled in comparison to the amount of concern he had for his own libido.

Lifting her glass, he brought it over to the side of her lips. "One more," he said as he pressed the rim to her mouth and tilted it back for her to drink. A small drop evaded her, sliding down toward her chin, and rather than brush at it with his fingers, Jenner lightly kissed it away with his lips. "You are welcome to stay with me as long as you like. I would not ask you to return to the questions of your companions this evening."

@Roselin Yarwood
    Last edited by Jenner Pavon; 05-28-2014 at 08:33 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His words, telling her how he cared, came to her in a different way than they had before. She didn't feel the urge to laugh him off when he said it. Rose didn't feel as though he was lying through his teeth. She was stuck here no matter what at this point, with her family dead, the only man who would take care of her was Jenner.

She took the drink she was offered and as a little drop ran down her chin she felt him gently kiss it away. At his offer to keep her away from the other girls so she may have peace, Rose gave him a weak nod. What she did next, she did without thinking, and it shocked her more than ever. She tilted her head just enough that her lips brushed over Jenner's as they parted. Her voice was soft as she tried to control her tears.

"Then I will stay."

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a sudden sense of heat that washed over them as her parted lips passed his. Her breath was heavy with emotion and brandy, and he was well aware that the situation was tenuous. Pressing his mouth to hers, Jenner placed a soft kiss on her lips, hoping that the quick brush between them would not be regretted later. She was small and thin and had been drinking, and the Lord of Lawnbury knew that things could quickly get out of control. If the woman were to have a change of heart when she awoke, his actions now could very well cause her to be even more disruptive than she had been thus far.

"As you wish," he said softly, before planting his feet and standing with her cradled in his arms. He allowed her head to roll into his shoulder as he moved her towards the bed. Her arms were draped loosely around his neck, and he felt them tighten as he released one hand from her to pull back the sheets. As he set her down carefully, he smiled. "You are safe, Rose. Try to rest." Pulling the covers back up to cover her, Jenner kissed her on the forehead, and then turned back towards the couch.

He was far too tall for comfort, and in any other circumstance, he would have just as soon joined her without a care. But instead, the man pulled off his shirt and rolled it into a ball. Placing it at the end of the sofa as a pillow, Jenner laid himself down, feet hanging well over the far arm. He was not fatigued, but could not be bothered to make any more rounds tonight. Pouring himself a brandy to sip, he decided a few moments of reading might make him a little more sleepy.

@Roselin Yarwood
    Last edited by Jenner Pavon; 06-20-2014 at 05:08 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rose had felt the brush of Jenner's lips across her own but before she could react he lifted her from where they'd been seated. He'd made quick work of tucking her into the bed and the white pillowcase below her gave her a bit of worry. Her rouge could stain it was the thought she kept having but it was quickly replaced by the thought of her brother's passing. She was moving between different emotions that she'd never really had to deal with before and for the young Yarwood it was difficult to handle.

Instead she watched Lord Pavon as he moved in his place across the room. He looked less than comfortable in his own chambers and Rose sat up a bit in bed. He'd pulled out a book and she tilted her head to him in question. While using his shirt as a pillow and draping himself across the small sofa, Jenner was attempting not to make Rose uncomfortable. He was being kind and she felt as though she were an inconvenience.

"My Lord." She spoke up, "the sofa is not a place for you. Not in your own chambers. I can leave if you wish so that you may sleep in your own bed, that is, if you do not wish to share it with me."

@Jenner Pavon

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the sound of her invitation, Jenner folded the book closed around his finger. Turning around, he saw the girl propped up on her elbow, her eyes still puffy and red from her tears. He had no way of telling what exactly what the girl was thinking, other than to assume she felt guilty about putting the man out. With an inaudible sigh, he turned on the sofa and placed his feet on the floor. "Very well, Lady Yarwood," he said, using her formal title for the first time in weeks.

Making his way to the bed, he smiled as he patted the pillow beside her and moved to lay on his back beside her. He rested above the covers, leaving her below them on the other side. If this would make her feel like less of a burden, he did not mind accommodating her. "There is no need for you to leave, dear," he said genially. "I am happy to keep you company." Jenner had never lost anyone that he really cared about, but he had heard that often the trauma of the events led to nightmares. He wouldn't think to leave her alone, or worse, send her to sleep in her bunk with the other girls around.

Reaching his arm around her head, Jenner cradled Rose's head to his chest, and flipped his book open with the hand still holding it. "Better?" He patted her back lightly, before rubbing between the blades of her shoulders in a comforting manner.

@Roselin Yarwood
    Last edited by Jenner Pavon; 06-30-2014 at 08:10 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In spite of herself, Roselin settled in against Jenner. She didn't want to like this close contact with the man that she still hadn't forgiven for trapping her here, but she couldn't deny that it was a comfort. "Yes," she said into his chest, her red hair obscuring part of her face. It still felt like she was putting him out, but at least now he was in his own bed even if he didn't seem as comfortable as he could have been. There was a part of her mind that should have been further comforted by the fact that there were layers of blankets between his body and hers, but at this point she was mostly too numb to register much.

"I don't even remember the last thing I said to him." It wasn't clear if she was speaking directly to Jenner or just talking to clear some of the jumbled thoughts from her mind. "Chatlawn was supposed to be locked down, but the danger was plague, not kidnapping." She didn't sound vengeful or accusing, merely like she was stating a simple truth. Whatever Jenner called what he'd done to her, in her mind it wasn't even a question.

"It doesn't matter now, I know, but I just wish..." Her voice wobbled, as did her chin, as she started to get worked up again. "I just wish I could have let them know why I left, that I was safe and not dead in a ditch somewhere." There was a pause, and a sniffle. "And that I love them. I like to think they know - knew - but just to be sure. I would give anything just to be sure."

@Jenner Pavon

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tale of Roselin Yarwood, and his part in it was enough to depress most men, but Jenner was shrewd, and hers by far was not the saddest of the tales that had passed through the Nest. In fact, there were girls here who had loving families that were likely looking for them still, wondering where their daughters and sisters had gone. True, they were not related to the King of Balfour, which is why Jenner had less interest in their plight, but for them the loss was no less than that of his Rose.

Closing his book around his thumb, Jenner smiled ruefully at the accusation. "Detained," he corrected her. Technically, she was under house arrest, and not kidnapped. She had come to the building of her own free will after all. But his tone was soft and sympathetic, and he didn't correct her in annoyance so much as to protest his innocence, of which he had none. "And I would not say that it doesn't matter. It is an issue that you may continue to ponder, and I wouldn't think you silly to do so. But to the point, had you been there to tell them in person, you'd likely be lost to us too."

Not making any kind of movement to disturb her comfort, Jenner sighed. Explaining to her that she was now the heir to a substantial amount of land and wealth was like to be little comfort, and possibly insulting. And to be honest, Rose's indignation had become an old show about the keep. She had begun to find her place and build relationships with the other women, and he didn't wish to curtail her growth. "You have a home here Rose, and I am happy to have you by my side." He bent to kiss her forehead gently, and squeezed her lightly. "But you should try to get some sleep, my love."

@Roselin Yarwood