User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matters Preying on the Mind [ 9/4, noon, Edward/Catherine ]

House Fairfax Catherine Fairfax's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If change was indeed coming, then Cat would believe it when she saw it. All too often she had heard such comments - first from Thomas, then from Victoria, now from Edward. The evidence leaned heavily in favor of changes that did not occur, instead lingering in status quo. She controlled her expression, preferring not to reveal her thoughts so readily to her brother, a mere nod acknowledging his words. The proof would come, or it would not. The mention of Victoria being set loose on the world was a little unnerving, but then, so too was the idea that she would eventually become the Lady of House Morgan. "I am accustomed to being overlooked, Edward," she reminded him softly, but his next words took her aback.

Her brows knitted, surprised that he would remotely suggest severing an agreement made years ago. The thought carried a weight with it; Catherine feared that if she refused this arrangement, the next - if any - would prove far less agreeable. Putting a more optimistic face on the matter, she smiled slightly. "That is kind, but I am sure I will be fine. As you say, Sir Robert is the soul of honor. It is unlikely that he has not raised his son to emulate him in all ways possible."

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edward gave his sister a faint smile, realizing that years of treatment would be undone with a few simple words. If anything, Edward had been doing a great deal of soul searching and wasn't certain that he liked himself all that much. Yet, that was neither here nor there. At least one of the lot would have themselves as a spouse, even if it was arranged. It made him wonder just what kind of wife he should have. "A lot of things have gotten overlooked," he confessed quietly, gazing out the window for a few moments.

"I agree with your assessment," he stated, smiling as he did so. "I wish you well in this, Cat, I truly do. If anyone deserves to be happy in this family, I believe that it is you." Perhaps he was being a bit hard on himself, but that did not make him shy away from saying it.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She watched her brother, curious as to the nature of his thoughts. His recent foray into introspection struck Catherine as new and somewhat odd, yet perhaps the new tendency to consider his actions prior to performing them might prove beneficial indeed both for Edward as a man and as the Lord of Suffolk. Unwilling to pry into those thoughts, she said nothing in response to his remark, all too well aware of how much went overlooked by those of the Fairfax name. With luck, it would not prove their undoing over time.

Satisfied and pleasantly surprised at his acceptance of her comment, Catherine was momentarily stunned by Edward's pronouncement. "I will do my best to be happy at Rose Manor. It will be a kind of adventure for me, the first, really. What will you do with yourself now that I am settled?"

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The question made him suddenly smile in amusement. He was thinking of her question, "Victoria is not going to be happy to hear it but I need to find a husband for her. I think she can wait a few years, but I may let her sweat about it." A sudden wicked grin came over his face, knowing that Cat also felt Victoria needed a bit of reining in. "But as for me? Oh, I don't know, Cat." He breathed out, glancing out the window once again. "I know I need to find a wife. I know I need to secure the line."

He pondered on it, "Victoria suggested Elizabeth Sheridan. She's attractive, I think, but I wonder about the rest of her family. Aislynn has been spending more and more time over in Aston lately and I've barely had a chance to see my little nephews and nieces." There was something strange going on there, but he couldn't put his finger on it. "But I am open to considering other options." Maybe it truly was time for him to find a wife, but the trick was finding the right one...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mere mention of finding a suitable husband for her sister made Catherine issue a chilly snort. It would take every ounce of clever persuasion that Edward possessed to compel Victoria into any marriage of his choosing; she did not envy her brother in the slightest on that point. "Perhaps you ought to give her over to Lord Einar-Isael. An older husband might be precisely what she needs to keep her more... wild tendencies in check." She doubted any man could truly check Victoria, but surely an older, more experienced man would be prepared for her sister's creative antics. "Ah, yes, you do. I doubt you wish to see Aislynn's sons inherit, however fine boys they are. Since Thomas shows no desire to settle down, it falls to you."

His mention of Lady Elizabeth Sheridan made Catherine shake her head firmly. "If you would heed my counsel, Edward, absolutely not. While I doubt she is anything like Aislynn, two Sheridans in the family is too much. You need to advance the family, not keep it in status quo." Cat held affection for Aislynn, though her aunt-in-law tended to overlook her as well. "Besides, I have seen Lord Durand looking after her with a speculative gaze."

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Then whom do you recommend, my dear?" Edward asked as he continued to gaze upon her, "I see your points on Elizabeth and understand the concerns. Fortunately, I am not beholden to marrying her. Besides, there are some elements of the Sheridan family, I think, that would drive me to insanity." He let out a breath, leaning back in his seat to think more clearly. "There is the idea of marrying a Shellten, I suppose. That woman I met, I think, would make a decent wife. Granted, I would have to sue for terms."

The man was pondering further. "I could look to House Beaumarche, Durand or Sinclair." He wrinkled his nose faintly, "I'm afraid, dear sister, I have been looking at entirely the wrong women for the last several years that I am not aware of the eligible ladies. Have you spotted any during our various engagements with other houses?" She had keen eyes, this he definitely knew.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Catherine was equally puzzled and intrigued that Edward sought her opinion on the matter of his marriage. Heretofore, he seldom seemed to consider her opinion on anything valid, yet the conversation took on the signs of advisement between sister and brother. Taking the matter seriously, she nodded, relieved she would not have to expound on her reasons that she could not support the notion of his wedding Elizabeth Sheridan. Beauty should not be the only recommendation for the future Lady of Suffolk; it was a fleeting thing. Suffolk and its lord required a lady of intelligence, capability and strength. Edward was not the easiest man in Tuneric with whom to live.

She blinked at his suggestion of Shellten. "You are thinking of Princess Veronica? I... hardly know her, she is so often elusive, but would you be content with her?" From what little was known of Vera, Catherine could only see misery for them both if Edward were to marry one of the Princesses. It would be a fine thing for the family tree, she supposed, but... again, there were reasons against the idea.

"Durand or Sinclair might be best," she agreed quietly, "though Beaumarche has recently suffered difficulties. There is time yet, and perhaps you might consider one of the DeAngelis ladies regardless of what Victoria says. Lady Silvia is a lovely woman, and it is she who organized this event."

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "No, Princess Marianne. She's a cousin of the King. I don't know if she would make a great Lady of Suffolk, but she would be a great deal of fun to have," he gave Catherine an amused look. "The Sinclair house does have its fair share of beauties and brains, I've heard. The family as ambitious, too. I believe Lord Nicholas Sinclair is aspiring to great things. I just hope I can actually meet the man."

However, she received a sniff at the mention of Lady Silvia, "I understand what you mean, Cat, but ... no. I will not give that family enough credence just yet." He toyed with a random fixture on the table for a moment. "I am planning on attending the party the Sheridans are hosting. I can probably assess more ladies there.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sending her brother a chiding look, she forebore to remind him that one did not wed for fun; one wed to secure dynasty, lineage and other matters of graver import than entertainment. Was not that the reason their father saw fit to give her hand from so early an age to the Morgans? Edward was teasing, however, sparing Catherine the need to point out the flagrantly obvious. The conversation continued on as a strange one, but she thought for a moment. "Did Lord Sinclair make an appearance here? I wonder if he will go to Aston for the Sheridans' festival."

The sniff made her arch a brow at her brother's reaction. Catherine supposed she ought not be surprised; Edward held impeccably high standards, particularly where lineage was concerned. "I merely suggested her for consideration, Edward. No one requires you to secure any woman to wife soon, but yes. Take a good look at the various ladies while we are in Aston. If you can't find one lady who manages to hold your attention, then I will be very surprised indeed."

Cat had a feeling Edward was approaching this in uncharacteristically capricious manner. He spoke of fun in one moment, the next dismissing another lady as unworthy if not unsuited to the role of Lady of Suffolk. She would keep a close watch on her brother in Aston, the better to keep him on track with his own agenda.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "No, I did not see any of the Sinclairs here." The Sinclairs were another family Edward was curious and... concerned about. They had taken over Pyre Cliff, establishing themselves as lords of the region. Certainly, they had the King's blessing to do so and plague had done a number on the Redleaf family. The land could not be left without adequate leadership. Yet, Edward could not help but wonder about them. Was their success entirely left to chance or was there something darker lurking within there? Either way, Edward was determined to find out. "I hope so. Like I said, I want to meet the man and his family. See what they are made of. You'd do well to keep an eye on them, yourself." Cat's observational skills would be useful there.

It was not that Edward was necessarily being capricious about his selection of a wife, more that he was hoping to find one that was not only exciting, but could comport herself effectively as Lady of Suffolk. "No, no one requires it except for myself. The woman I search for ..." he paused to better think of how to adequately describe her to Cat. "I'd like her to be intelligent, capable and from a respectable, established family. If she has the same zeal for life as I do, then that will make the relationship go all the more effectively," he refrained from saying smoothly. For a man as passionate as Edward, smooth was not an apt word for him.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their claim on Pyre Cliff had proven swift and almost ruthless, something Catherine admired but knew she could not achieve. Such actions were simply not within her purview, if she was truly honest with herself. Their lack of attendance at Welch Run could prove a portent of things to come, if not prove a commentary on the De Angelis family. "If they arrive in Aston, I will certainly do what I may to take stock of them and gain what intelligence can be gleaned from their proximity." More than that, Catherine could not promise, and even that hinged on their arrival for the festival honoring Moreesa in the Sheridan lands.

She felt her brows furrow as Edward continued regarding his standards for the future Lady of Suffolk, listening quietly. He had high standards, which Cat expected, but she also knew there was more to it. "Is that truly all you seek, or is there more? You sound as if you are willing to settle, Edward, and that is hardly the brother I know."

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edward gave her ascent on the Sinclairs with a simple nod. There was nothing more that needed to be said on that matter. In a way, he struck two birds with one stone. He would receive information on the Sinclairs and it would give Catherine a purpose-- a distraction -- at the Sheridan party. The power that be knew Edward would have been craving a distraction himself if he were in her shoes, but he had a feeling his taste in distractions differed greatly from dear Cat's.

At her blunt question, dark eyebrows rose toward his hairline. "I feel as though I have already asked for more than any nobleman could receive in a wife. But, very well. She has to have zest. I enjoy living my life to the fullest by partaking in food, wine and the collection of art and other fine things. I want her to be vivacious, sultry, lovely and, yet comports herself well in the courts." He tipped his head, his lips curling in a smile, "Does that give you a better idea?"

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She had her marching orders laid before her clearly enough; there was no mistaking what Edward intended for her. While it was a welcome distraction from the knowledge that her betrothed would be arriving in Aston and from there she would journey to Brassford, Catherine wondered what she freed Edward to pursue in the meantime. Perhaps the question ought to be whom, if she was honest, but she pushed the thought from her mind as unworthy and unkind. Her brother was his own man, able to do as he pleased.

Finally, some honesty, that rare virtue in the Fairfaxes. All too often, they of Suffolk hid behind the courtesies and correct responses rather than reveal themselves. Vulnerability was not encouraged in the Fairfax line, despite Xavier falling in love with Lady Sophia. Listening quietly, Cat smiled faintly as Edward finally confessed what he truly desired. "Yes, it does. Thank you. I know that it is not... usual for you to speak so frankly." It would also allow her to steer his choices.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suddenly, he leaned forward in thought. Yes, those were all the qualities he sought out in a marriage, but... there was something forming in his mind. With the Remingtons gone from power, there was an opportunity for House Fairfax to exert its influence more strongly on the Fertile Plains. "And ... it should be a woman from a house in the Plains." He waved his hands, "Not de Angelis, they are too new and I do not rely on them. But if I can find a wife from the Plains and Xavier's marriage into House MacHeath..."

The man began to nod slowly, "You and Victoria can be our connections to houses in the other regions." Brassford was of Hellfire Ridge, but he did not know where he should place Victoria. That would have to come later. "But if I can find myself a wife from the Plains, I can exert my influence more effectively. Perhaps there is a house I can help...?" He rose his eyebrows, wondering if Catherine was seeing his line of thinking.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cat occasionally worried over her siblings, knowing their ambitions might one day get the better of them. Edward especially seemed in the gravest danger of that, compelling her to contemplate methods whereby she could influence him to think past the blatantly obvious and instead look towards more subtle goals. Listening to him was the best means, she decided, to let him see the errors in his thinking as she perceived them and then seek to alter the course of his considerations.

As he laid out his initial thoughts, she could immediately see the inherent flaw in his plan. He thought too close to home without considering the fourth member of their immediately family. When he raised his eyebrows, his words trailing off, she did not immediately reply, instead reasoning out her counter-proposal to his idea. He had an excellent thought, but his implementation could benefit from the addition of their brother Thomas. Since he opted to cede the lordship of the House to Edward, he too fell within their brother's purview as an option towards expanding the Fairfax influence.

"You could do that just as well by wedding Thomas to a woman from one of the Plains houses," Catherine reminded her brother gently. "That leaves you free to make a more ambitious match, Edward. One that carries more far-reaching advantages. Such as Lady Nolana Gyrtner, perhaps?"

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Marrying only one of us to the Plains Houses?" He echoed her thinking, though he would admit that he had not thought of Thomas. Thomas was far too easy to dismiss. The man had passed the role of leadership onto his younger brother. Why would Thomas care what House Fairfax did? "There are a few other houses to consider. There is House Blackbane, House Delarose, though I am doubt their particular future as things stand...." he shook his head, "And there is also House Metcalfe. I wonder if there is a woman in that house that is unwed."

He narrowed his eyes at in her thought, wondering what she is getting at, "Are you suggesting that I try to expand Fairfax influence beyond just the Fertile Plains and throughout the Kingdom itself?" The man thought on that. "They would have to be key marriages. If you can help your future husband grow House Morgan's influence in Hellfire Ridge, Xavier will be our step into the Valley of the Crown, and ... that leaves the Wooded Reach and the Low Coast." He thought on it, "I believe House Gyrtner is in the Valley of the Crown, but they are sorely lacking sons, aren't they?" He stroked his chin in thought.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ongoing conflicts within the Fairfax household made for short-sighted members. Catherine so often believed that there were times where she was the only one whose head sat straight on her shoulders. The others were far too colored by their disdain for each other. The reminder of their brother Thomas might also wake Edward up further to start setting aside some of his more... frivolous objections to other houses and interactions. "There is Metcalfe, yes. Their lord is unwed, I believe, as well."

She blinked when he narrowed his eyes, then rolled her own as her point finally struck home. "Yes, Edward," she replied impatiently, "that is precisely what I am saying. Fairfax is an old and honorable house, but we are so fractured internally that we may as well be six houses. Surely it is time to set that aside? If I am able to influence the Morgans, and Thomas weds into the Plains, you are free to select spouses for yourself and Victoria that bring influence and greater reach, correct?" Satisfied that he was finally thinking on a greater scale, Cat sighed quietly.

Family. Can't live with them, can't beat them about the heads.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suddenly, Edward looked a bit amused. Did Cat really just roll his eyes at him? He had expected that from Victoria with her infamous impatience, but from Cat? Perhaps there was, indeed, more to his quiet sister than he realized. The amusement, however, faded quickly when she went to describe House Fairfax as divided. A strong part of him wanted to argue, but found that he could not do so. Adequate ammunition did not exist to mount such an argument. "I will see what wives are available for Thomas in the Plains," though he had a sinking suspicion that there were not many. "I am hoping I can find someone for myself and Victoria when we attend the festivities in Aston."

However, he was not going to let her comment slide. "And as for the fractured house, it was Thomas and Xavier who decided to-" But suddenly, he cut himself off. What was the point of blaming them for what they did? It was done. They had made their decisions. A hand went up to pinch at the bridge of his nose. "I will bring them back into the fold." The statement was a quiet one. There was no point in complaining and railing against it. If someone was going to fix the damned fractures in the house, it might as well be its lord.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She did indeed roll her eyes. Occasionally, the members of the Fairfax family could prove entirely recalcitrant, particularly where the other family members were concerned. The varied family members had their stances, some misguided, on each other, flawed and skewed perceptions, and conflicts that festered rather than were resolved. She was growing weary of it, privately convinced that locking the men in a room together and refusing to let them out until they had a long, overdue talk to air out the issues.

A quiet sigh left her lips as she nodded to his response. "That is all I ask, Edward. Consider your options, there are far more than you may realize. I am settled well enough, as Xavier will be thanks to Lord MacHeath, but Victoria will not prove an easy matter, I believe." If anything, Catherine expected her sister to prove a thorn in their brother's side regarding any potential spouse.

Observing her brother as he initially reacted in the same defensive manner that Xavier had, she was pleasantly surprised that he halted himself. Hearing him render a vow made her proud of him, and the man whom he truly was. Finally, Edward was setting aside the mask he wore to become the true man she knew he could be.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was not easy for him to consider such a course, but he would. Someone would have to be the bigger person in the family if they were to extend their influence beyond Suffolk. How receptive Xavier would be to those ideas, Edward was not all that certain. However, if Xavier still had a shred of loyalty to the Fairfax name, he would do well to heed Edward's... suggestions. Would the meeting go smoothly? Only time would tell. He gave Catherine a small smile.

"Thank you, Cat, for taking the time to talk with me and giving me advice," the smile grew some. "It was refreshing, to say the least." That much was certainly true!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12