User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meeting of the Minds [9/8 - Evening, after dinner - Open to Baptiste, Romanov, & Gardiner]

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taking the pot with the plant, Reed nodded his thanks to Lady Eva and began to study it, holding the pot so his sister could join him. Two pairs of eyes were better then one when it came to figuring out the best ways to handle the growing. There was something rather familiar about the plant, but he wasn't completely sure which plant was its equivalent on Balfour. Looking to Rosemary, he spoke quietly to her. "Looks like a kind of belladonna to me, but which one? You're the expert, Rose.. do we have something growing that looks like this?" His sister's work had been almost an obsession lately, he couldn't keep track of everything she'd been trying to grow to try.

Hearing her questions, they were good ones, exactly what he himself would have asked. That was why, despite the differences between Reed and Rosemary, that they worked so well together. What ever one thought of, the other did too. "I'd like to see those notes, at least as they pertain to the plant itself, too. I think, and Rosemary can hopefully back me up on this, that we may have our version already growing in some quantity in Baldell." It would mean making a flying trip back home, but if the cure worked, it would be worth the time, effort and exhaustion.

@Rosemary Gardiner @Evangeline Baptiste

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tilting his head to listen to his brother’s concerns and thought about the statistics behind it all. Wilhelm was always the pragmatic individual to suggestions and new ideas. That brought a nice sense of grounding for him in this situation, especially since it would likely be Romanov coffers to help aid in support of the houses developing the cure. But after mulling the question over in his mind a bit, he spoke back softly to his brother, “I agree with your sentiment. At this point, however, even if it works on the young and the healthy that’s better than nothing at all. Besides, it’s it the young and the healthy that will bring the next generation into this world?”

Marcus grinned playfully before further replying, “Well…maybe not us. But I’m sure our dear sister Elsa will contribute her fair share of nieces and nephews for us to entertain down the road. If we can save her to keep our house strong, why not?”

He then backed off and let Wilhelm and the others ask their questions and grill Evangeline for answers. It seemed the women were the better skilled healers in the House of Baptiste, and he watched as she was quick to solicit her thoughts, notes, and answers to the rest of them. For Marcus this was simply an observational meeting, nothing more.

@Wilhelm Romanov

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I'm glad to see Rosemary, and you." Elsa sat beside Wilhelm, tucking herself into the chair out of the way. She hadn't been especially close to her surviving brothers prior to now, but that might change. The devastation to the Romanov family line had been some of the worst in Balfour without doubt. Marcus had gone from being the second son of a second son to the Lord of the House, with Wilhelm right behind him as heir. She was now the de facto lady of the house until her brother married. It was a lot for them all to take in. "How have you been, Wilhelm?"

She looked over to see Marcus, knowing that the two of them were there mostly as a courtesy to Wilhelm, and that Marcus had brought her along so that she could be re-united with Rosemary. Relieved to know her best friend and partner-in-crime was alive, Elsa was content enough. For now, she was silent, listening, learning and watching until something came up that she could do. There would be time once the cure was being produced to socialize - for now, the cure was the priority.

House Baptiste Annemarie Baptiste's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moving with him as a kind of instinct, Annemarie rose to her feet to join Alexander and Eva, the better to peruse her sister's find in Tuneric, but more to secure copies of Eva's notes. She hadn't had a chance to ask for them prior to everyone's arrival, much less to read through the information they contained. In the days to come, she knew she'd be working very closely with her sister, her parents, her brother and the Gardiners to find ways of reproducing the cure without relying on the growth of a single, small plant.

A faint smile thanked for Alexander for his support even as she heard Lord Gardiner query his sister on the plant's local equivalent. Rosemary's answer was going to make a great deal of difference in how fast this cure was replicated, not that she knew all of the ingredients that went into it. Keeping one ear on the Gardiners, she glanced at her sister to ask quietly, "What else went into the cure, Eva? We will need to collect supplies, I am sure."

House Baptiste Evangeline Baptiste's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turning to Rosemary first, Evangeline thought for a moment, and then nodded slowly. "Yes, I do think in the folio are some notes from the Gyrtner ladies - they're a family on Tuneric that specializes in plants. It seems to be a common plant there, almost like a weed, and I was told it grew nearly everywhere. They call it...plox, I think?" To be honest, she couldn't necessarily remember the details, but that was what notes were for, wasn't it? "I have a few more plants, and some seeds, but I did lose most of the younger specimens I tried to bring over. They weren't overly fond of sea travel, turns out."

Wilhelm's question, although just as important, was slightly harder for her to answer. "I don't have a good figure for that, I'm afraid. There were some who refused treatment, and the infrastructure of many towns just wasn't equipped to provide proper data." She sighed, clearly frustrated herself with the lack of specificity. "However, the general trend was that a few weeks after the cure had been distributed through a medium-sized holding, there was a sharp drop in both reported deaths and new cases. Obviously there are going to be some for whom the medicine comes too late, some may be immune, just like anything. I'm hoping there can be some refinements made to make those numbers even smaller."

If Reed was indeed correct about there being a Balfourian counterpart to the plant growing in their gardens already, it would be a boon she had not anticipated. It was Evangeline's hope that, after the ideal method and formula was ironed out, they could all learn the process and skills. With the plague so widespread, the more people who could produce the medicine and the less time it took to distribute it would only serve to knock it out faster. She in no way wished for the whole of the country to be dependent on South Huntswalk; rather, she wanted to empower the lords, as many as would learn, so that they could all work toward freeing their people of illness.

As the others looked over her notes and the small plant, Eva turned her attention to her sister. "Nothing that will be difficult to obtain, thankfully...After they were harvested they were boiled with some herbs to ease pain, then they were strained, pulped, and pressed through the finest cheesecloth I could get my hands on." She grimaced a little at having to describe the haste with which she'd had to work, and the rudimentary mechanics she'd used. "That foul-tasting stuff proved to be the ticket. It's...inelegant, perhaps, but Tarran...well, I didn't have much time to experiment." Her sister knew of her engagement, but it wasn't common knowledge; it wasn't the time or place to announce such a thing, when so many people had lost loved ones. "I hope with the sheer amount of talent in the room we can improve on things just a bit."

House Gardiner Rosemary Gardiner's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking over to Reed she raised a brow and dug back in and let her fingers softly pet the leaves. His question caused her to then furrow her brows before shaking her head, “Even if we had a Balfourian counterpart, we’ve extracted almost everything we could with no results. Perhaps it is this specific strain of plox from Tuneric that differentiates what the sickness reacts to. I’ve seen a few weeds similar to this, but the crest shape leaves and color of the bud is not what we have on file yet from what I recall. We might have to dig deep if we want to find an adequate substitute.”

Anything was possible, however. Her eyes studied the plant’s every piece of anatomy before she plucked one of the tiny leaves and bit it once between her teeth. Rosemary tested the oils from it on her tongue before she pulled up a sleeve and spat on it. Not exactly the most ladylike thing in the world, but when science required a moment of study one rarely paid attention to propriety.

“Mmm…” That was all she commented on before discarding the leaf in her pocket and listening to Eva’s information. “Reed and I will need all of the notes on the plant’s growth and habitat. We’ll get the seeds sprouted as soon as we can, and I know Reed is good at extracting what’s salvageable from the dying ones to try re-growing them from the root. We’ll take this one to start with. Hopefully it can make the trip back to Baldell.”

Looking up to her brother she nodded before taking a thumb to the corner of her mouth to wipe away the remaining remnant of its flavor before heading back over to Elsa and sitting down next to her.

@Reed Gardiner

House Romanov Alexander Romanov's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alexander was looking over the notebook as everyone asked their questions. When he heard Eva mention the name of the plant, Alexander issued a gentle correction, "Phlox." It was written in the notes as he gave a thoughtful nod. It was most interesting. The man seemed to be squinting from time to time at the document, holding it a little farther away as needed. Some of the writing was a little small, but each scholar had their own particular sense of style.

"It seems to be a relatively hardy plant. Interesting that such an abundant plant would have such useful properties," the comment was more muttered to himself than to anyone else. "The climate of Balfour is all that different from Tuneric, but the soil quality might be different. Did they include-" rather than finish his question, he looked through the notebook again to see if they included the information on what Rosemary had requested. "Ah," he nodded toward the woman, "they did, yes. Apparently, it does best in soils rich in humus." And that was when he realized that was hogging the notebook all to himself. An apologetic smile was given.

The only concern Alexander had was time. It would take time to grow the plant again, extract what they needed and then distribute. As he thought on it, he passed the notebook on to either Reed or Rosemary, whomever wanted it first. With the season growing colder, Alexander was not all that certain. A hand raked through his hair as he closed his eyes and thought. A greenhouse might be the answer, but those grew cold, too. Unless there were a way to keep it warm...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He continued to study the plant with gentle fingers, inspecting the stems and leaves as he listened to all of the conversations around him. Unlike his sister, Reed was fairly confident on the Balfour counter-part proving some-what effective. There were some differences, but he also had some hybrids maturing that might be more suited to their needs. Looking up as she spat, he shook his head but said nothing. Manners could definitely take a back-seat to botany when lives were on the line. "Don't be so quick to discard the plants here, Rosemary. If the secret is in the roots, we didn't try those in this recipe. I wouldn't want to give it to the worst of the ill, but those who are showing symptoms could be responsive to it."

He agreed, knowing that he had ways of reviving plants that appeared dead or dying. "They may be just dormant, it's a form of plant defense. I'll take a look at them, see what can be done here. What I can't revive here can go with us back to Baldell, or I can send for what we need." Reed made sure to travel light until he had a better idea of what they required. Then he could and would strip the greenhouses bare if it meant bringing Balfour back to health. And that reminded him of something. "Might be a good time to try that new soil blend of Lily's, not to mention Mace's fertilizing solution. What do you think?"

Taking the notebook from Alexander, he nodded by way of thanks, then a thought hit him. The Romanov man would be an ideal partner in this. "Alexander, can you be spared to go with us to Baldell? No-one is as thorough as you in making notes and calculations. We could you, if you can give us a hand."

@Rosemary Gardiner
    @Alexander Romanov

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I know our version is Phlox," Evangeline said in response to Alexander, not to defend herself but rather to inform, "but in Tuneric they call it plox. There were a few plants, and many things, actually, which were nearly identical to things I recognized from home, yet they bore different names. I found it quite intriguing, actually." If anyone could relate to her curiosity on the matter, it would be a thoughtful man like Alexander.

Listening to the Gardiners speak, Eva nodded. "I can show you the plants I brought over. Some do look quite dead, but I haven't discarded any in the hope that someone with a greener thumb than I have could work some magic." She smiled warmly, even though in her heart she worried as he spoke of bringing it back to Baldell. Evangeline understood well enough that the best chances at growing a prosperous crop quickly lie in that city, but the processing would be best done in South Huntswalk. The more travel time there was, the longer it would take to manufacture the finished product. But she would trust the minds in the room to work together and land at what was best; that was, after all, what everyone had been called here for.

"I don't have any experience in shipping the raw ingredient. The medicine itself loses potency fairly quickly...if it's stored properly, kept from air and light, it'll last maybe two weeks. That's why I couldn't bring any over and still have it be viable, although I do think I have a vial or two that tests can be done on, if it would be helpful."

House Gardiner Rosemary Gardiner's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reed may have been hopeful but Rosemay was more skeptical. Still, she wasn’t the type to discredit her brother by any stretch of the imagination, so she took his words in apt stride and listened to Evangeline as well. There were always ways of salvaging even the most hopeless of cases she supposed. Especially with what they had been working with lately, anything was better than no answers at all.

After she made herself comfortable next to Elsa, she crossed her arms over her chest and continued to listen to the others converse. She had her mission cut out for her, but now she wanted to spend time next to her friend. Casually she murmured under her breath, “So Marcus is really lord of House Romanov now, eh? Fancy that. Has anyone illuminated the responsibilities of that position?”

She giggled softly to her friend, knowing that Marcus wasn’t the responsible type at all. But she reached out and squeezed her friend’s hand before moving subjects quietly, “How have you been holding up? Meet anyone special in your life as of late?”

@Elsa Romanov

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The conversations went on around her, but Elsa had nothing to contribute so she sat quietly, listening with interest. These were some of the best and the brightest in Balfour, but what they were talking about was over her head. She did not know anything about medicinal plants, the medical arts or of the plague itself. First her parents, then her brothers worked to protect her from the worst of it, leaving her in the dark about so much beyond the deaths that ravaged House Romanov.

Now she was in South Huntswalk, wondering what she could do if anything, but she was glad to be with Rosemary. Her friend had struggled with the efforts to find a cure, she knew from what few letters had gone between Baldell and Old Havenwich. Elsa had wished she could do something to help, but there was no leaving Old Havenwich, and Baldell had been sealed off, she knew. At Rosemary's question, she nodded. "He really is now, and already Uncle's started to remind him that he has to settle down and marry, have children. It doesn't... sit well with Marcus, as you can probably imagine."

Her brother had made a career out of being Balfour's foremost playboy, even if his preferred play-mate had been sent off to Tuneric, likely to get her away from him. Elsa hadn't been sure of what the real reason was that the Princess was sent off to the north, but it didn't matter. Hearing Rosemary's giggle made hers come free, but she had to shake her head no to the question. "No, but I finally made Uncle realize he's in love with Lady Annemarie and he should marry her. He's going to ask her father while we're here."

@Rosemary Gardiner

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wilhelm shifted slightly closer to his brother so he could clearly the whispers of Marcus. It was good to know that he wasn't the only one with those thoughts in his mind as his brown eyes stared at the people in front of him. However, his brother also brought a good point in the fact that saving some was better than saving none at this point.

“Like you haven't caused bastards to be born, brother.” Wilhelm whispered back at his brother's comment on them not necessarily being the ones to produce the future generations. Maybe they wouldn't produce proper heirs, but at the way his brother mostly had consumed the ladies around the kingdom and statistically there was bound to be some poor lady somewhere that had produced a bastard son or daughter.

Wilhelm turned his attention to Evangeline as she answered to the best of her capabilities his question. He nodded his head in agreement with her affirmation on the subject. At this point, all they could do was to try it and see the results. Marcus had lived through the plague with no help, but nobody understood or could explain why he had survived where so many had fallen.

@Marcus Romanov

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hearing Wilhelm’s comment made him chuckle. Despite the uncertainty of it all, the young Romanov seemed to at least wear his power with a light heart for now. Leaning towards his brother once more he replied in a soft murmur, “Most likely, but they will not be acknowledged by me. Could you imagine me trying to legitimize one anyway?”

Shaking his head he further remarked, “It is better that Brent take my place in hopes he has a son in due time. Unless you’re feeling up to the challenge of taking a bride and a family?”

A playful smirk crossed his features as he looked at his brother mischievously. “Technically you are my heir now, but I don’t imagine you settling any more than I.”

@Wilhelm Romanov

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He nodded to Eva's words, continuing to examine the plant. "I'll need to start out for Baldell close to first light. If you would like to come with us, Lady Evangeline, you are most welcome. I'd appreciate your insights." Reed looked up, seeing his sister over with Elsa. A small smile appeared, it looked like one Romanov would be coming to Baldell too. "You said you brought seeds, as well?"

The sooner he could get those planted and spreading roots, the better. Reed felt the weight and the pressure settle on the back of his neck, but injected some steel there. The people of Balfour were depending on each and every mind, every pair of hands in the room. He would not let them down no matter what. "I wouldn't mind having a look at the vial, but I wouldn't want to waste it. Every drop is precious, wouldn't you say?"

He didn't want to interrupt Elsa and Rosemary, but he glanced back at Eva curiously. "The recipe... how many ingredients is it? And do we have Balfourian equivalents to all of it?"

@Evangeline Baptiste

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His brown eyes stared at his brother for a few seconds. The question was a good laugh if he could say so himself. Wilhelm settling down and naming one lady the only love of his life was probably as possible as it was possible for a man to live eternally. Basically, House Romanov had picked the worst two males to be their lord and heir when it came to settling down. If both of them boys could probably fuel a whole new generation of Romanov boys, it was bound to never be done in a situation that was considered proper for nobility.

“That shall be a challenge of importance the day you die without having planted your seed in a lady that will take your name, brother. Until then, you're the one with the whole family legacy troubles. Not me.” Wilhelm whispered back with a light smirk of his own.

@Marcus Romanov
    Last edited by Wilhelm Romanov; 07-13-2014 at 09:08 PM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Seeds, yes. And I think Lady Nolana Gyrtner sent along some of her personal notes with them, as well. I'll have to check the crate again to be sure." She paused, giving thought to the idea of accompanying the Gardiners. "I'm not sure if I'll be able to travel with you tomorrow, but I'll make every effort to make for Baldell when I can." She knew she would be curious as to how the growing effort would be progressing, and as much as she would have liked to go now, she knew there was still much to be done at home.

Evangeline rather wished she would have simply brought most of the supplies in with her, or at least examples of each. Then she could stop promising to produce things later and simply be able to hand them over when requested. "The recipe is simplicity in itself - simply the extracted concentration of the plant's roots, and some liquid to carry it in. I'm convinced there are other things that could be added to increase effectiveness, perhaps something to bring a few of the other symptoms in line quicker, but at the time I didn't have the facilities to test it." Once they'd heard that she had a substance that had cured Lord Hutchinson, the Tuneric people had latched onto it no matter how rough a medicine it was.

"Perhaps while the plant is growing, we can be working on seeing what improvements can be made." She looked over to her sister, because although she'd used the word 'we', she knew who the real best mind suited for the task belonged to.

---
    @Reed Gardiner @Annemarie Baptiste

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12