User Tag List

Thread: Preparing for Departure [9/13, afternoon, Seamus x Danny]

House De Angelis Danush De Angelis's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Preparing for Departure [9/13, afternoon, Seamus x Danny]

Nothing was ever going to feel completely done and handled. Danny had done his best to delegate what he could to Ethan and the rest to the others within the guard. However Dastan made mention that a new knight had joined the De Angelis ranks and was sent by the King. He didn’t really understand it, but his guess was as good as his brother’s. All were a bit dumbfounded, but Dastan decided not to squander a resource given to him and therefore it was up to Danny to delegate a few tasks that he felt the new knight could handle.

Conversations the night before with Captain Bristol showed to be enlightening. Not to mention that the Hepburn knight already a brush with Secily and managed to survive intact. However the situation with the Peregrines was a tumultuous matter that he was not going to mention nor hand over to the Crown’s chosen man. Ethan was fully responsible for that task, and he had appropriate assistance in addition to his father to handle the three girls as needed.

But now it was his turn to meet the knight and see what could be done. A small piece of parchment with a few items scribbled upon them was tucked into this breast pocket before making his way over to the barracks to officially meet the man who had come to their doorsteps three days ago. Unfortunately Danny had been so busy wrapping up his affairs that he did not have the chance to meet up with him sooner otherwise he would have.

With a little help from Captain Bristol, Danny made his way to where Seamus was residing for the time being and approached him, “Sir Hepburn I presume?”

Reaching out a hand to offer a shake, Danny further added, “I am Lord Danush De Angelis. My brother has spoken of you and I believe I am to be delegating some of my former duties since you were brought here to offer your services to us, yes? Don’t worry, I kept the list short.”

@Seamus Hepburn

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seamus was busy getting settled in, and trying to forget his encounter with the odd blond sister he had met the previous night. They would be departing for Aston soon, and so he wanted to be well situated before then. He didn't have many possessions with him, but he found himself moving them about for a long time, trying to make his room feel more like Maple Glade.

The sound of approaching steps made him sigh, knowing that Captain Bristol likely had more questions for him. But then the younger man arrived, Seamus smiled, hopping to his feet to take the accepted hand. "Seamus will do," he said casually. "It's a pleasure to meet you Lord Danush. I am sad to learn that you will be departing soon." The lad was closer in age to Seamus than Dastan was, and the Hepburn knight was always eager to make friends of men his own age after living with his older brothers for so long.

"Well, I'm here," he said with a chuckle. "I admit that I am still learning my role. I suppose I will know more when I receive more orders from Hebron. But I am happy to help Lord Dastan where I can." Moving to clear some books off of one of the chairs he had stacked them on, Seamus gave Danny an apologetic look. "Sorry about the mess. Please, sit."

Moving to the small cask in the corner, Hepburn poured the other man an ale, and handed it over. "I have met your sisters. They are both...ummm...charming." Well, one of them was...the other...odd. "Perhaps you can give me some insight into what to expect here, other than just my duties?"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hearing the knight introduce himself informally during the handshake made him smile and reply, “That makes things easier then. Call me Danny, everyone else in the castle usually does.”

The whole lordship thing was still something he wore at every pace, but if opportunities were allowed to shed it off then he didn’t mind. Hearing Seamus speak of his departure caused the De Angelis man to nod solemnly. “Yes, well, I think I understand the point and purpose of it. Although the timing is a bit inconvenient. Nevertheless I will see what I have to offer His Majesty in terms of skill or insight, though I doubt I’ll be of much use in a royal court. We shall see in due time, I suppose.”

Seamus seemed remiss in arriving at Welch Run. Clearly his duty required him to be respectful of where he was being placed and how, but Danny could tell that there was a hint of reluctance in how the knight responded. The feeling was entirely understandable. Seamus was currently in a position that Danny was also about to become a part of. “Transitioning is never easy, I know.”

When offered to sit, Danny found himself a spot and thanked the knight. Making himself comfortable, he listened to the fact that he had already met Silvia and Secily. The words were carefully selected, and likely that was due to the youngest sister’s persona and all it entailed. Obviously Seamus wanted to know more about what he was getting into.

“Yes, Secily tends to move to the beat of her own drum. I gather she’s already made a grand impression on you by popping up out of nowhere?” Danny’s tone made it clear that this was a common, if not expected, occurrence for the most part. “I guess my best recommendation for you is to just smile and nod. Trying to make sense of her will only cause you stress.”

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Choosing to take the last point first, Seamus chuckled at the young lord. "I don't suppose she ever pops up during the waking hours," he asked, remembering their encounter in which he had been half asleep. She seemed harmless enough, but Grant had warned that she might not be the healthiest thing for him, and so he had endeavored to keep the meeting short.

"Yes, well, I am not so sure of my own confidence in being much use here," the knight conceded. "Or your brother's confidence in the me, for that matter. I gather that he trusts you with a great deal," Seamus added. "In truth, I am eager to prove myself though, as you no doubt are as well. It's always irked me some that Grant is succeeding as Lord of Maple Glade and my younger cousin is a Knight of Dawn, while my brother and I seem to underachieve." That was not entirely true, as Seamus had been recognized by the king for his heroics at the naval battle of Pyre Cliff, but once that matter started to fade from the consensus memory of the island, so did talk of he and Leigh.

"Things in Hebron have been unsettled recently," he added. "Probably much like they have been here. I am sure you will find lots of opportunities to lend a hand. If I am right about your value to Lord Dastan, no doubt Lord Grayson or Master Lereaux will have great use of you."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “She pops up at all hours I’m afraid.” Danny replied with equal candor in regards to being amused by it. Clearly his first brush with the youngest sister had been during the middle of the night. “Secily tends to wander when she’s bored of sleeping.”

Listening further on Seamus’ feeling of the whole thing, Danny nodded in acknowledgement before further replying.

“Sometimes people are born to privilege and glory while others toil endlessly to barely touch it. That is just the way of things. You’ll find that we are not the type to let others do all of the work. Even Dastan has his daily errands and we visit the people on a daily basis and help them cultivate the land to make sure everything is in order. Shockingly enough, even Secily plays her part in it. I am quite confident that once you understand the stride of things you’ll figure out a place where you will feel your skills are the best fit here in Welch Run. Everyone pulls their weight, even we newly minted nobles.

“For now my only list is that you follow my brother out every morning to help him with anything the people ask of him. Not only does it profit Welch Run, but I can imagine that having you around the people will bring a great deal of positive influence on them in regards to reputation of both you and the Crown. I imagine that you won’t be here forever, and once you’ve gained the full trust of my brother I am certain he will aid you in your own endeavors in any way he can.”

As they moved on to things in Hebron, it was now time for Danny to face the music of where he was going. It appeared the two of them were simply swapping spaces for the most part. He knew why the King felt it was necessary to uproot two men who were good at what they did and switch them about; especially during times when stability was needed in Welch Run and safety over in Hebron. Danny was fairly certain that having an unknown like him in the castle walls wouldn’t exactly assuage the anxiety levels that were already so high given the King’s recent assault. Why Calien would inflict further stress over this was beyond Danny’s rationale.

“As long as I’m not sitting around twiddling my thumbs I will do what I can to be of assistance. Lord Grayson seemed like the keen fellow, and we have spoken several times before. I would hope that he will have some use for me at least.”

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Seamus listened, it became clear that Dastan's estimation of his brother was warranted. The younger brother seemed to have a genuine concern for his family, and the made the youngest Hepburn nod instinctively. Not that anyone ever really let him worry about his family. Maera, Trina and Grant were all very domineering and made a point of correcting Bosleigh and himself at every turn. "All things considered, Danny, I would be glad to be back in Maple Glade, eating flapjacks and riding patrols with the hobelars. I suppose it is the nature of the times that changes things. When the men in red and white came to our home in the forest, they kept to themselves. They wrote their reports, they inspected the troops, and then stood by my father's side, nodding the king's approval when it mattered." Though admittedly, Patrick Hepburn had little to fear. He and Aramis Shellten were great friends, and Hebron's affairs rarely interfered in Maple Glade's, unless the friends were planning parties or designing boats and castles.

The temptation to tell the other man that he didn't need to earn Dastan's trust was great, but Seamus was not the cocky type. In fact, considering Durand and his efficiency and tendency to meddle, Seamus was slightly surprised that his far more cocky brother hadn't been chosen for the job. Bosleigh was more apt to stroll in, demand both sisters, Dastan's quarters, and the finest horse in the Reach, and then threaten to report the Lord of Welch Run if he didn't get it. "I am sure that your brother and I will be fast friends," he offered, though he wasn't sure. All that was certain was that Dastan could have done much worse as far as Knights of the Shield went.

Letting a soft chuckle escape his lips, Seamus shook his head. "Well, old man Lereaux is always concocting some kind of experiment that requires a volunteer. I mean...if you're really bored."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “If it is a swift journey back home then I’m sure that can be arranged as well in due time.” Was all Danny could reply with on that matter. He wouldn’t comment any further on the disposition of it all but would converse with his younger brother later of the new knight when discussing the change-off of duties. However the offering of volunteering for experiments made him chuckle a little, “I’m afraid I’m a little too old to be taking endeavors in those affairs.”

There were a great deal of mixed emotions running through Danny’s mind on this whole tradeoff, but for now he held his tongue. Time to move on to other topics, “I believe that is all I needed to discuss with you prior to my departure. Are there any other questions you have of me before we part ways?”