User Tag List

Thread: Spinning the Web [10/12, early morning, Veronica/Dastan]

House Peregrine Veronica Peregrine's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spinning the Web [10/12, early morning, Veronica/Dastan]

Dastan had been home, returned from Aston, for almost two days; and Veronica had done her best to easily avoid him. That was the necessary first part of everything, of which she had a great deal of time to ruminate over -- making sure that after his time away, a cleansing experience of likely absurd noble debauchery and revelry for his mind to wash away their last several unpleasant encounters -- that by the time they crossed paths again, the events of the prior month would be more muted in his memory. She needed him more pliable.

She had thought this out, with all that empty castle space surrounding her.

So that morning, as she had the past two, Veronica rose early from her meager chambers and slipped out to take her Friesian, Gheld, for a morning ride; after the arduous task of cleaning him herself, of which she was only slowly becoming more accustomed. It certainly helped with her benefactor's money; but some things Veronica had to be more careful about, and spending frugally -- something Veronica had never understood -- was becoming more of a habit. Besides, it gave her more time out of the castle walls, and away from possibly crossing Dastan's path. She had preferred the absence of most of the family, for Secily was mad but easy to avoid, and the rest of the staff seemed to spit her less venom outside of Dastan's presence. But...

All in due time.

As it was, the cool autumn morning would provide the perfect backdrop for Veronica's next steps; and it was only when Veronica turned the trail in the upper meadows and saw, up ahead and around the hedgerows, Dastan's unexpected approach -- did she decide to enact the second phase of her ideas. Without hesitation, the Peregrine woman took a deep breath and, pausing only a moment, pitched herself off the side of her beast, landing in an ungainly heap of skirts and auburn hair on the ground beside Gheld, who was startled by his rider's inexplicable actions. She tried, with surprising accuracy, to land as hard as possible on the cold ground beneath her.

Veronica didn't care if Dastan saw her in such a state of disarray; in fact, it would be preferred if he caught her painful fall.

Just not her willing dismount.

-----
    @Dastan De Angelis
    "I cheated myself, like I knew I would; I told you I was trouble -- you know that I'm no good."

House De Angelis Dastan De Angelis's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The party in Aston was unpredictable to say the least. He was probably never going to stop teasing Silvia over that one night when she fell all over herself with Sir Zander Kelley. Dastan quite liked the fellow too. Though his sister would likely argue against the fact that she would have to find a more suitable man for marriage material, one with wealth, power, and prestige to help solidify the De Angelis family for alliances, Dastan was more concerned over other matters. But for the moment he was going to tuck that thought aside.

Making his usual rounds, Dastan rode through the lower portion of Welch Run and made his appearances. People were getting a bit used to the fact that Danny wasn’t around to go along with him. Perhaps Seamus would soon take his place, depending whether or not the knight felt up to the task of assisting him. For some reason it appeared that though the knight was ‘in service’ to the De Angelis’, the man seemed more preoccupied with whatever tasks the King gave him while he was here in Welch Run.

Those thoughts were pushed aside as he rode over the hill and around the bend through a trail area that he occasionally took as a shorter route back to the castle. However he saw another rider out of the corner of his eye. Dastan couldn’t much make out what had happened, only that limbs were flying in all directions a woman fell off of her horse and hit the ground. Pushing his Clydesdale forward, the massive horse galloped forward to come to the lady’s aid.

“My Lady…” He called to her, and as the beast approached the other rider, Dastan quickly swung a leg around and slid off his horse in fluid motion. His hand slid around, still holding the reins to stop his horse as he closed in to see what had happened. “Give me your hand.”

Crouching down, he offered his other free hand to her before he finally realized who it was.

House Peregrine Veronica Peregrine's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Veronica had landed hard, as she wanted to; but she still was trying to suck in a breath that had been knocked out of her from landing flat on her back, when she heard the galloping approach of hooves. The Peregrine woman would have smiled beneath her curtain of hair, pleased with her performance already, if the wheezing pain hadn't spiked through her lungs; but it was nonetheless useful for her, as the very real pain kept her from giving away her false start.

She had only managed to roll onto her side when she heard the heavy dismount of the rider -- whom she knew, hoped, without looking up, would be Dastan -- but the call of his concerned voice all at once confirmed her suspicion.

My Lady… Give me your hand.

It was Dastan, and by the way he addressed her -- clearly didn't know it was her.

It was only when she felt his shadow fall over her, and heard him crouch down in the dirt beside her, did Veronica move to sweep away the curtain of her reddish hair from her face; one hand still propping up against the ground, her knuckles red and raw from scraping during her fall. She blinked up at Dastan with a wincing smile. "So kind of you, Lord -- Dastan. I'm even obliged to think you'd say so, if you knew it was me -- in the first place. But don't worry, I'll be --" she said lightly, half-wheezing laughter, almost amused; when Veronica sucked in a deep breath and winced, her dark eyes closing once more. She had half-risen then, propping herself up against the ground; but the moment her right ankle, secure in her boot, locked against the ground, she cursed beneath her breath. "Ruzbin's fury --" she seethed between her teeth, immediately collapsing back down upon the trail, one hand moving to touch weakly at her ankle.

Veronica, herself, thought it was very convincing.

-----
    @Dastan De Angelis
    Last edited by Veronica Peregrine; 06-29-2014 at 01:29 PM.
    "I cheated myself, like I knew I would; I told you I was trouble -- you know that I'm no good."