User Tag List

Thread: You’re on Your Own [9/12, after ‘Changing Hands’, Veronica x Danny]

House De Angelis Danush De Angelis's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You’re on Your Own [9/12, after ‘Changing Hands’, Veronica x Danny]

After the conversation with Delphia was over, Danny made his exit out of the room. Veronica and Aloise were probably going to be heading back any moment and he preferred to not be seen speaking with her alone. It still felt weird to know that he would be leaving Welch Run after spending all of that time acquiring it under his father’s name. Now he was being shipped off to Hebron to do only the heavens knew what, exactly.

But this was the life of a knight and lord now. Dastan would have his own troubles in due time, but as long as Silvia was with him Danny didn’t really need to worry much about him. If there were any issues then they could always write and he would come home straight away. There was a level of certainty that if the emergency was grave enough the King wouldn’t keep him against his will. But for now the De Angelis’ had to put down a token of good faith, and Danny was willing to be that bargaining chip for now. There was another benefit to being within the royal court. Danny could keep an ear to the ground to see if any opportunities arose for his family, and to also see if anyone intended to cause problems for the new lords. Danny’s presence would be a great asset, and he knew that more than Dastan probably realized.

Closing the door behind him, Danny just barely took a few steps to round the corner when he suddenly stopped, coming face-to-face with Veronica Peregrine. It appeared that he was too late, she was already back.

“Evening.” He replied, uncertain as to whether or not she had just recently appeared or if she was simply eavesdropping and pulled back once he came out. It was always hard to tell with her in particular.

@Veronica Peregrine

House Peregrine Veronica Peregrine's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a miracle they didn't slam into one another; but Veronica managed to see Danush De Angelis before he in turn saw her; and she stalled her already leisurely steps as the man's bowed head finally pulled up to note her presence.

Evening.

Veronica came to a pause before Danush, one hand reaching up to press her palm lightly against the stone wall beside her; the other, moving to prop up against the curve of her hip. Danush, after all, was Veronica's favorite -- something she thought meant that she'd allow his inevitable death to be the first, and the most painless -- and he was even better of a morsel when alone, without his irritating sisters or Dastan's bull-like bravado. It was hard to pass up such an unexpected opportunity to bother him. "Danush," she purred in greeting, wrinkling her nose at him; wondering, where exactly, he was headed.

Or rather -- had come from.

Her eyes flicked from Danush to the bend in the hall; and it took only a moment for the threads to link up in her mind. Veronica's laughing mouth, curved ever so slightly at the corner, leveled out then abruptly; her lips slightly parted, the lines on her face smoothing away.

" ... Having a pleasant visit with my cousin?" All formerly mocking tones faded with this query, the cold flatness taking over the sounds on Veronica's lips. The spark fell from her eyes until there was nothing but blackness to retain.
    "I cheated myself, like I knew I would; I told you I was trouble -- you know that I'm no good."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Danny didn’t really understand what kind of sick thrill she got being so deviously coy with him. Veronica strategically positioned herself in such a way that blockaded his ability to leave her presence without flat-out barreling her over. Unfortunately she knew he was a better gentleman than that, and a look of distaste flashed on his features as she kept her poise in place. Her honeyed tone always seem to put a chill down his spine. Not so much in a fearful way as much as it felt like his intuition was telling him not to trust anything Veronica said or did.

“…Veronica.” His greeting wasn’t nearly as sultry as hers was, but that whole saccharine sweet disposition faded away once she seemed to grasp where he had just come from. She was already accusing him of visiting Delphia for some kind of personal gratification. It was written all over her face along with the fact that her words became cold and devoid of emotion. “Should I be astonished that you’re showing concern for another human being?”

But that wouldn’t get her to move out of his way. Given that he would be leaving in the next few days, he figured he would spill the proverbial beans to Veronica as well. The truth was way easier to deal with than trying to scratch together some kind of half-assed lie that she would likely call his bluff on anyway. “I’ll be leaving for Hebron on the sixteenth. Ethan and a few of the lieutenants will be your keepers now.”

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    …Veronica. Should I be astonished that you’re showing concern for another human being?

To this, Veronica gave him an irritated smirk, like she knew his comments were prying for; but her ire lessened. The mere pause in his response said enough to her. All that mattered was that he wasn't still coming after Delphia, like Veronica believed; but the gentle tones in Danush's voise suggested something otherwise.

Strange...

But then he opened his mouth again to speak, and this time, Veronica was actually intrigued.

I’ll be leaving for Hebron on the sixteenth. Ethan and a few of the lieutenants will be your keepers now.

The Peregrine woman said nothing at first, one eyebrow raising in interest on her forehead as this new information was divulged. She cared little about this metaphorical change of hands -- Ethan was merely a smaller brute, an off-shoot of his father, that she'd contend with one way or another -- but this sudden departure of Danush's was... interesting, to say the least.

"Oh, but Danny, what will I do without your charm?" Veronica crooned, giving a small shrug of feigned sadness with her shoulders. Her hand slid down from the stone way upon which it was propped, and the Peregrine woman moved instead to wrap her arms tightly around her torso. She paused, the salacious smile still on her red lips; and then cocked her head slightly to the side, a far sharper look overtaking her gaze. "I can't believe they'd part with you. Running errands, perhaps?"
    "I cheated myself, like I knew I would; I told you I was trouble -- you know that I'm no good."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing Veronica said or did really amused him much. She was nothing but a walking, conniving, being of pure spite. Whether their family had risen up against the Peregrines or not, Danush didn’t believe that Veronica’s demeanor would have been any better or worse had the outcome been different or non-existent. Every time she delivered her cat-like purrs or mocking tones, it was simply one more reason to never trust the woman and to never forget what her selfish, childish whims had cost his family.

Even though she had eased up on him over matters with Delphia, the attitude he received from her afterwards was likely just as bad. He almost would have preferred her blackened hatred; at least that emotion bore some semblance of concern for another person. This saucy, sarcastic witch-like element was neither trusted nor welcomed.

“I think you’ll survive just fine without being shackled to me.” He commented bluntly, not really allowing his features to respond too much to her sultry delivery. As she inquired further about what he would be doing there, he simply shook his head and glanced away, “I guess I will find out when I get there.”

Figuring it was better to steer the conversation elsewhere, he cleared his throat and looked back over, “It has been a little over a month at this point. Have you figured out a permanent station in the castle to work under yet? I can imagine the clock is ticking with my brother’s patience, and I bet that speed has doubled since I will not be here any longer to buffer you.”

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you’ll survive just fine without being shackled to me. I guess I will find out when I get there.

Veronica put on a fake pout, but Danush was right; Ethan was a puppy compared to his father, and even though Danush at most times just didn't want to be bothered, he was simply one more negative reminder of a past life that would now be thankfully pushed out of sight. She wished him well, internally, on his trip to Hebron, and could only hope that his horse slipped a shoe and crushed him to death fairly quickly.

It has been a little over a month at this point. Have you figured out a permanent station in the castle to work under yet? I can imagine the clock is ticking with my brother’s patience, and I bet that speed has doubled since I will not be here any longer to buffer you.

At this, the Peregrine woman's mocking face fell slightly, and she gave him a pointed look. She let a moment of silence linger between the pair, and then she gave a nonchalant shrug; casting her gaze off his shoulder and down the hallway; apparently, bored. "You weren't that effective of a buffer to begin with, Danny-darling. But don't worry... I've found ways to be useful." She paused; and then her dark eyes flitted back to Danush, a wolfy grin tugging at her mouth. She wrinkled her nose. "You'll see."

And then another pause, and she gasped, as though forgetting herself. "Oh, but wait -- you won't! You'll be enjoying the parties up in Hebron. So don't worry your pretty little mug over it, Danny. I am very resourceful." One hand slipped from from being wrapped around her torso, and Veronica waggled it reproachfully in his direction. "More than you care to give me credit for, I think."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every method she used to deliver her words gave him chills beyond reproach. Typically he wasn’t the type who wanted people dead, but in the case of Veronica Peregrine he was willing to let morals slide for the sake of peace of mind. Why Silvia demanded the she be kept alive was something he really couldn’t understand. She was one of the sole purposes as to why the De Angelis’ took a hold over Riverwatch Keep to begin with. Having her remain alive was more of a continue curse than any kind of respectful trophy. Not to mention the fact that it had garnered plenty of negative rumors as to why they had chosen three women.

“I don’t doubt that…” He muttered with a hint of sarcasm to his tone as she assured him that she would be just fine. The saccharine manner in which she slithered those sentiments made him feel almost nauseous. Even though Dastan was equally as untrusting of Veronica, he still had a soft spot for women as a whole. He could only hope that his brother wouldn’t eventually crack to a viper of his caliber for the sake of baser needs.

Her last little bit was especially a bitter sentiment to swallow. Putting on his best smile he replied, “Yes, and your resourcefulness is what landed you in this spot to begin with. I look forward to hearing about what you’ll accomplish next. Should I give the King your regards when I see him?”

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, and your resourcefulness is what landed you in this spot to begin with. I look forward to hearing about what you’ll accomplish next. Should I give the King your regards when I see him?

Veronica wrinkled her nose at this. She could see Danush's irritation at her words, but it did not give her cause to abate; wasn't this already going to be one of the last times she would have the pleasure of seeing him squirm?

At mention of the King, the Peregrine woman audibly scoffed; giving a slight jerk of her chin to the side. "Please, don't. If that man were half the King he should be, I'd still be accepting condolences on the veranda in view your own heads on spikes. But he's barely effective on his best day -- and I hear he has so few of them, lately." She paused, her dark eyes darting back to Danush; a more normal expression taking over her usually animated features. "Maybe that is why you are going. Perhaps he needs all the help he can get. Even from a serf."