User Tag List

Thread: Some Much Needed Rest. [10/13 - Afternoon - Nataliah and Cailen]

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some Much Needed Rest. [10/13 - Afternoon - Nataliah and Cailen]

Traveling was difficult to say the least. The Queen was in a delicate state and the King was miserable beyond words. The trek from Hebron to Day's Death took longer than it would take anyone else and the slow going procession unnerved Cailen to no end. For twenty two years old he was doing an absolutely shit job of living his life. Yes, he'd been stabbed but it was a stack of books that had done him in not but a few days prior. How infuriating could this weakness be?

They'd finally made it to their home away from home and Cailen allowed Larson to stand very close to him as they walked through the doors. He would not allow anyone to prop him up as if he were dying. Again. Maybe he was just stubborn and that was the 'it' of the situation but he was supposed to be young and strong not hobbling around like an old man.

Servants unpacked their belongings and Cailen made his way to the nearest chair that was in the sun. It was quiet on Day's Death and for miles all one could hear were birds and the waves upon the beach. It was peaceful and that was what the royal pair needed.

Peace and quiet.

@Nataliah

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traveling, especially to such an extent, was not a fun prospect at this point for Nataliah. Her pregnancy was progressing well, but she was still struggling with the symptoms that went along with it. It was easy sometimes to wave them off, to convince herself it would all be worth it in the end, but by the time they had landed on Day's Death she was having none of it. Her back hurt, her feet hurt, and the sea voyage had unsettled her only recently calmed stomach. Add that to the stress of Cailen's condition, and the fact that she was having a very hard time coming to terms with the changes in her body, and it made for one unhappy queen.

After hearing that Day's Death had been almost completely destroyed by the large storm that had rolled through, Nataliah couldn't help but be amazed with what had been done with the place since then. The old fortifications had been removed, for the most part, and a villa now perched on the rocky cliffs. There may not have been a beach like in Jacksonmoor Retreat, but it was just as relaxing, and hopefully would do wonders to soothe their ills.

Following her husband, Nataliah set her sights on the chair beside his and carefully lowered herself down into it. Her belly wasn't overly large, but she already felt like she was carrying a huge amount of weight. It did not make her happy. Still, she managed to push her own complaints aside, and she reached out and took Cailen's hand.

"It's a beautiful view," she said as they looked out over the water, Tuneric's mainland close on the horizon.

---
    @Cailen Shellten

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "It is. Grant did well." Cailen took Nataliah's hand and gave it a little squeeze. "We shall have to write to him and let him know how much we appreciate his efforts."

The sounds of the island were like a blanket that lay over them. Quiet, soft, and very unlike what they were used to hearing in Hebron. The King had waved Larson off. He told him to go, dress down, and get away from them. Though the knight's orders were specific and he did change out of his noisy armor, he did still linger just outside the door to keep an eye on the royal pair.

"Has your stomach calmed now that we are on solid land?" Cailen asked her with some concern. "Are you feeling alright now?"

@Nataliah

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Perhaps more than a letter. A cask of something, perhaps? Do you know what he likes?" The work it must have taken to get this place in the shape it was in could not have been easy, after all, and while Nataliah knew that Grant had been compensated for his work, it couldn't hurt to show some extra gratitude.

Leaning back, Nataliah rested her free hand on her belly, letting her head fall back and her eyes close. That, however, was a bad idea - the moment her eyes closed, she felt like she was back on the ship again. Opening them once more before she turned green, Nataliah instead focused her gaze on the vista that stretched out before them. "It's getting there. I'll be alright in a little while." She looked down at herself, over her terrible posture, and slipped her feet out of her shoes, wiggling her toes. "I wonder how long it'll be before I can't see them at all..." Already when she was standing straight she had all but lost sight of her feet. Even though the midwives said she would likely get much larger before the baby was finally born, on her slender frame the weight was much more apparent.

---
    @Cailen Shellten

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Damn woman. I paid the man." He gave Nataliah a devious smile before adding to her thought. "I'm sure wine will do well. Maybe some whiskey. I'll send both. I'm sure that will be fine." Looking out over the sands of Day's Death, Cailen slowly closed his eyes to think and absorb the sun. A yawn parted his lips and the deep breath he took in caused him a bit of pain but he needed to breath.

He watched Nataliah wiggle her toes, after her comments caused him to open his eyes, and gave her a sympathetic smile. "I'll rub your feet for you when you can no longer see them." He promised her something that he knew he could do. Cailen couldn't carry the baby for her but he could be there for her while she did so. He'd take care of her for as long as he could.

@Nataliah

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The queen only raised her eyebrows at her husband's objections, a smile playing at her lips. "Yes, I think you're right." She ran a hand through her hair, pushing it back from her face. "Both should do very nicely." Perhaps by sending the extra gratitude, they could make up for some of the logistical nightmares that must have cropped up in getting this place settled.

With a mischievous grin, the queen raised one hand and covered her eyes. "There, I can't see them anymore," she said, peeping between two parted fingers. If she'd had the energy she would have raised one leg and wiggled a foot at him to see if he'd make good on his promise, but she didn't have the energy or the heart. Cailen was still so clearly suffering, still unable to even take a deep breath without pain, that she couldn't add to his burdens with her own complaints. As uncomfortable as this pregnancy had been, she was resolved to take each unpleasant symptom and use it as proof that her child was healthy and growing. Supposedly, she was halfway through, and while everything she'd heard said that the second half was easier than the first, the queen was not entirely sure she believed the common wisdom.

"I suppose eventually we should get up and explore this place, huh?" Neither of them had ever seen this castle before, and although it wasn't overly large, with the two of them in such states it could take the better part of the evening for them to see each room. "After all, we've got to make sure Lord Hepburn deserves both wine and whiskey." She winked, making it clear that she was in no hurry to get up.

---
    @Cailen Shellten

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After she'd returned his smile, Cailen found himself just staring at her. She always knew exactly what to say. Always knowing exactly what to do. Nataliah had always been by his side and now he was unable to be by hers. He was there in spirit but not in body, and it was unfortunate as the man really wanted to be able to do as much for her as he could.

She lifted her hand over her eyes and he found himself laughing. Though if he were a healthier man he would have knelt down then and there to make her feet feel better. Now he just sat and looked out over the lands that were Day's Death. "It is good to know that your sense of humor isn't suffering." He smiled before continuing "I'd fear that the child would end up being sour." He made a stern face but he couldn't hold it for long. He laughed, as well as he could, but in the end he just shook his head at himself.

"We should, you are right. If it isn't worth both then we'll have to hire a new architect." Cailen smiled. "We'll have to add onto this place when the baby is born." He could imagine, not minding if the child were male or female, playing with his baby in the sun. Teaching him or her about sea shells the way his mother had taught him.

If only he would just heal.

@Nataliah

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "It is good to know that your sense of humor isn't suffering. I'd fear that the child would end up being sour."

Nataliah laughed, and looked almost affronted through her humor. "Are you worried I would be pickling this baby in here?" She put her hands on her belly for emphasis, laughing all the while. That was a new one to her! She was surprised that hadn't been any of the advice that's often given to new mothers that, frankly, mostly seemed to be rubbish. Maybe she'd have to see if she could start an old wives' tale while she was still a young wife. All it would take was a few whispers into gossiping ears, really...

At the mention of adding onto the castle when the baby arrived, she sat back and tried to picture what she'd want. The castle was already large enough for their family, really, unless all of the Shelltens decided to come stay at the same time. But if Cailen had it in mind, perhaps an expansion wasn't a bad idea. She wouldn't mind the opportunity to have a say in a space she could use as a nursery, for example. A space their new prince or princess could grow into, and that could grow with them, not to mention accommodate any new royal children that would come along.

"I would love it if our little one could fall asleep listening to Moreesa's waves lapping at the shore." Her voice was quiet, serene almost, and she could picture herself in a rocking chair, Cailen sitting beside her, their baby sleeping peacefully on her chest while they listened to the waves. It would only be appropriate that her family's patron goddess lull her baby to sleep. Imagining moments like that went a long way in distracting the queen from the increasing discomforts of her pregnancy, and it made her eager for the months to pass. She couldn't wait to see the look on Cailen's face when their baby opened its eyes and smiled at him for the first time.

---
    @Cailen Shellten

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Are you worried I would be pickling this baby in here?"

Cailen snorted at her response. Even in the worst of times she had a way to make him laugh. It was among the many reasons he loved her. "I cannot be sure what kind of ruler the child would make but I do know that as long as it has your personality we'll be fine. Pickled or not."

In his mind he knew he was making a bad choice but it did not stop him in the least. The chair she sat in seemed light enough that he could get away with the actions that followed him standing from his seat. After slowly rising and walking around behind Nataliah's chair, he lifted the back of her chair so the feet came off the floor and he stepped very slowly to make her chair face his.

His actions caused him a fair amount of pain if he were to be honest, which he had no intention of being, so he took a deep breath and composed himself before returning to his seat. A knight peeked around the corner and Cailen waived him off over his shoulder. As he seated himself he slowly leaned back into the chair and bit the side of his tongue.

Cailen pointed at Nataliah's feet without a word and gestured for her to place her heels in his lap. He didn't trust his voice and knew she'd understand what he was asking.

@Nataliah