User Tag List

Thread: The Reality of the Situation [ After 'Our Daughters...', Dorian and Charlotte, OPEN ]

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Reality of the Situation [ After 'Our Daughters...', Dorian and Charlotte, OPEN ]

The speech from Finnella and the following discussion had been rousing, indeed. There was a great deal of work to be done, but to Charlotte, the path was not so clear. The roads before them were many, some of the dark, some of the full of light and many looking a decided shade of grey. Even worse, none of the paths seemed to be particularly wrong or right; they simply were. Yet, Charlotte knew they could not be so dismissive of the path they ended up taking, since it would have a great deal of impact on not just their lives but the lives of their children.

The latter word made her smile. Children? The only children Charlotte felt she would influence would be those others. The end of her childbearing years were slowly coming into view, and she still had not decided if she regretted that. On the one hand, she had been terrified of the idea of marriage. Being married to a man that did nothing but limit just who she was was a sort of hell she did not want to imagine. Yet, what if she did find that perfect man? A man that would treat her as a wife, a partner, and a mother? It was a strange thought to Charlotte. Yet, as she dwelt on the possibilities of rearing young to view the world different... she had to wonder.

Yet, being lost in thought was not going to get her anywhere. She had seen the look of shock and dismay on her cousin's face. Thus, after the meeting, she sought him out. Upon finding her, she offered a faint smile, gently took hold of his arm and led him outside of the building. A breath of fresh air would do them both some good. It was an awkward moment to say the least, and thus, with her dulcet, alto voice spoke up, "Fancy meeting you here, dear cousin."

@Dorin Hunter

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "I don't know how fancy it is," he said, looking somewhat nervously about to see if they were in range of being overheard. What Charlotte was doing here was not a mystery. It was her job to attend to Marianne Shellten, who had obviously dragged his cousin into this, but the better question was how the royal had gotten herself wrapped up into this apparent conspiracy.

Moving the pair a little further out of view, Dorin frowned. "Charlotte, how long have you been involved in this? Are these women serious?" The knight didn't seem as indignant as he did concerned. Somewhere in the pit of his stomach, the whole thing made him uneasy. The women who had come to the meeting were one thing, but there was himself, guards stationed at a perimeter, and who knew what other servants in the building might have loose lips. "If Bradyn Hallward suspected that this was going on within the boundaries of his hold," Dorin began before shaking at the consequences.

The conversation paused as one of the women walked by, presumably to catch her carriage home, and Dorin made sure she was well away before sighing and shaking his head. "Does Hamilton know? Does Edward Fairfax know? Does King Cailen know?" He had a hard time figuring how all of these women had managed to escape the attention of their lords long enough to travel all the way to Stone Forge.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charlotte seemed to debate for a moment. Should she be honest with Dorin, or should she play the innocent victim? The latter thought almost made her snort at herself in derision. Charlotte? Innocent? That was a laughable concept, and she was most certainly no victim. "I've known Allyson for some time, though we've not spoken in a good while. The same could be same of Gisella," which was something that Charlotte would have to remedy in the very near future. "But this?" she gave an elegant gesture toward the structure they had just exited. "I only recently decided to become involved."

The smile was warm, gentle and serene as he gazed upon the obviously concerned man. "It's not as though we're going foment rebellion, Dorin. I think we've seen quite plainly how well that would work. It is my hope that this will be something ... slower, longer lasting and gradual." Though, she had to admit she found some of Finnella's statements a bit unsettling. More discussions would be needed in the future. The mention of Bradyn made her smile dim somewhat. "Indeed, but fortunately, he is not here and he will not need to know for the time being.

"No, Hamilton does not know and I doubt Lord Fairfax and His Majesty are privy to this, either." A small smile formed again, tipping her head as she gazed thoughtfully upon him, "I am curious to know what brought you here, though."

@Dorin Hunter

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "Involved," he asked, the eyes widening in disbelief. He lowered his tone so that he could not be overheard, and then jabbed a finger at the woman's shoulder. "The only thing you are getting involved in, Charlotte, is the stretching of a lot of innocent necks." Dorin was not foolish enough to miss how this would play out, and his cousin shouldn't be either. "Oh sure, you, Marianne, Hallward and Fairfax will get slapped on the wrist and sent home, to be kept under close eye for a year or so until a husband can be found to keep you in line," he told her, though he knew that was the societal view, and not his own. "But those," he said pointing to the others. "Finnella and her kind? The ones who aren't from the most powerful houses on Tuneric? They'll be strung up for treason, Charlotte."

The disparity between classes was a fundamental point to the group's principles, he could see. But that did not mean that it did not exist. And that when the powerful crushed the weak, the leaders of this business would have to watch as the rank and file were punished. Dorin's face remained worried, if not altogether upset. "Neither Hallward, nor any other lord can be kept completely in the dark for long, Charlotte, and I assure you that when they find out, the're not going to be receptive to having more rivals, even if the change is slow and gradual." There was enough competition between them all already.

"How I ended up here is not easy to explain. But all you need to know is that I did. Which means others of my gender can as well," he told her, though it was true that they would not have had Gisela's personal invitation as he had. "If you must know, I was on my way to Slate Valley on business for Hamilton." And for himself, but he didn't add the last bit to his argument.

@Charlotte Hunter
    Last edited by Rick; 07-19-2014 at 02:28 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oddly enough, Charlotte seemed to remain calm in light of Dorin's warnings on the matter. Actually, more than likely to his surprise, the blonde woman found herself agreeing with him. "Indeed, I agree with you. That's why I do harbor some concerns about their plans. I admire their temerity, but I am not so certain about their tenacity. If they reach too quick and too far, they are more liable to lose their hands than they are to gain their lands." The plan on words would have amused Charlotte under entirely different circumstances. "That is why I hope I can preach temperance and go for the slow burning fire rather than the conflagration some may desire." She shook her head, then, "It has been my experience, Dorin, that the view of most is short rather than long. Will they truly be able to pick out the patterns woven in the fabric?"

The finely trimmed brows rose as Dorin went on, "Oh, I think we can be assured on the point that they are being rather careful not to draw too much trouble to themselves. Obviously, you are trusted, or you would not be here so openly." And as for his business for Hamilton, she was not going to pry into the matter. It was none of hers, after all, and the less she knew of Hamilton, the better. Yet, she felt compelled to ask him the typical questions one asks of family.

"My brother, hm? And how is he these days?"

@Dorin Hunter
    Last edited by Charlotte Hunter; 07-24-2014 at 11:59 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Whether Dorin had been calmed by Charlotte's words, or whether he was simply composing himself on his own, it wasn't clear. But he forced himself to take a breath, and calm down. "I hope your cooler head prevails," he said softly, rubbing his temple and shaking his own. "And Marianne? What is her place in all of this?" The princess had been something more than meek, as Dorin remembered. He didn't know the extent to which she was involved in this either, but he was curious about how far his cousin might be carried by her mistress' zeal.

"Well, I certainly don't plan on telling anybody. I still don't even know why I am here," he confessed. He was immediately suspicious that Gisela may have plans for his chivalry, and he would have to tread carefully around the priestess. She was well like to play on his guilt where it came to her relationship with Gage, and he was happy to be a comrade to her, provided that it didn't cost him or his family their lives. There was much at risk in these dealings, and had he known what he was walking into, Dorin would have passed.

"Hamilton? Steady as the stars," the knight said to his cousin. "King's man, lord of the people, doting father, etcetera. But his health is good, and he is active. Happy, I think." Dorin didn't talk to that cousin anymore than he spoke to Charlotte, or Allyson or Taia, but he was well informed when it came to the happenings of their home. "Are you planning to visit?"

@Charlotte Hunter

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the question of Marianne, Charlotte couldn’t help but smile warmly. “Her place in all of this? I do not think it will come as any surprise to you that she feels as I do about a woman’s place in the world. That she is a member of the royal family may give the movement the necessary clout.” And then she gave Doran a sidelong glance. “I suppose it could be said that I opened her eyes to the realm of possibilities and helped her realize that there is more to the world than it seems. But, I merely showed her the path. She is the one that chooses to tread upon it.” And that has always been Charlotte’s manner. She has never been one to force one down a path that was not for them.

“I like to think that you are here to help a friend, but you find yourself in difficult place. The question is how do you plan to help her? Will you give her the help she wants or will you give her the help that you feel she needs?” There was no condemnation in her voice for she was merely showing Dorin two possibilities. The pleasant and warm expression on her face was unflinching in the light of how serious the situation was.

“Visit?” Her blonde eyebrows rose noticeably at the question, and then she clearly set to pondering it. “I do not know. It has been several years since I have set foot in the place and I sometimes wonder if I should even call it home anymore.” Charlotte and her brother did not exactly see eye to eye on many of life’s little issues. “I did see Allyson in Hebron,” remembering the brief visit with Dorin’s sister, “As it will, war has changed her.”

@Dorin Hunter

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Hunter boy made a habit of not having an opinion on the royal family, no matter which branch was being discussed. He knew that Charlotte carried a certain amount of influence in the castle, especially where Marianne was concerned, but didn't think that his cousin had an agenda in the matter. Her views were her own, and even though she shared them, she never came across as militant. "I get the impression that she is enough of a free spirit to battle you if she didn't agree, cousin. I would never guess that you had to, or could, push her in any direction she didn't wish to travel."

Dorin could only chuckle at the blonde girl's assessment of his own position. "Your question presumes that I have any idea what she needs. I'm sure you don't need to be reminded of my minimal amount of insight into the female gender. My friend is vastly different than the girl I remember from a decade ago. And what she wants is well beyond my ken, at this point. But if there is something that I can do to protect her, or any of you, I am sure I would."

There was a small frown on his lips, which Dorin did not try to hide. "We are Hunters of the Reach, Charlotte. The forest will always be home," he told her matter of factly. Charlotte was more civilized than the majority of them. More worldly, at the very least. But that couldn't change who she was, in Dorin's opinion. No more than it could change his sister. "Allyson is perhaps different, but the same. I reckon that she got what she was seeking," he said with a shrug. If the girl was stronger, physically, and more prone to brashness, that was who she had become. But he had no doubts that she was the same free spirit she had always been. "How are things in the capital?"

@Charlotte Hunter

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, she smiled warmly when Dorian seemed to understand exactly what she thought when it to came to Marianne Shellten. “Just so, dear cousin, just so. I believe that is also why I admire her. She is open to new ideas and yet she firmly stands for herself on matters that she deems the most important.” It was not that easy to do so as Charlotte had learned from personal experience.

“Oh, Dorin,” she said fondly, leaning into gently bump against him, “We are not such overly complicated creatures as you might think. Every person that roams on this earth,” she pointed toward the ground, “has the same basic needs and desires. True, they may be a little different but they are really just variations on a theme. She is the sort that wants to make her mark on the world, even if others don’t remember it for years to come. The impact of her mark will be enough.”

Listening to Dorin, she fixed her large-eyed gaze upon him for a moment. She could not deny what he had said. “You are right,” she conceded with a quiet sigh, “And, even though I do love the bustle of Hebron, I won’t deny that I sneak off to the nearby forest from time to time. I find its nature soothing.” As for Alyson, she smiled with some curiosity, “What do you think she was seeking?

“And life in the Capital is as busy as you would expect it to be. However, we are seeing the King less and less as of late. It does make me curious. I know when it best not to pry, if you ken.”

@Dorin Hunter

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It took a modicum of willpower for Dorin not to scoff at the notion that women were more simple than he imagined. Be it sister, friends, or merely acquaintances, every one he had met had boggled a mind that he considered to be pretty sharp. Perhaps it was he who was simple. Too simple. Or it was the forest which had deluded him into believing that everything was more base than it actually was. But for whatever reason, the male Hunter couldn't help but disagree with his cousin, even if he didn't voice the argument.

When questioned about his sister, the man was equally at a loss. "Whoever can tell with that girl," he said with a grin. "I'd had no idea growing up that she would follow me into martial training, or that she would go to war while I remained here. Or that she would not return to Huntstown to remain with the family. But I do know that she seems happy and content. And at the end of it all, isn't that what we should all be looking for?"

Dorin Hunter was not one to speculate. Perhaps he and Charlotte had that much in common, at least. "I do," he said with a knowing nod. "I would imagine that if it were anything serious, that we would have heard about it. But as such, I have not." And more importantly, she had not, and she lived in the capital. "Hamilton has had a letter or two as far as I know, but he hasn't shared what he knows, if anything. His friendship to the Shellten's is well-documented, and I doubt he would betray Cailen's trust."

Thinking for a moment longer, he looked back to the meeting hall. "Where do you head next, cousin? More meetings, or off to Aston with the rest?"

@Charlotte Hunter