User Tag List

Thread: You Can't Just-! [8/20/217, During 'All of this', OPEN-ISH ]

House Romanov Alexander Romanov's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You Can't Just-! [8/20/217, During 'All of this', OPEN-ISH ]

Though most were not aware, Alexander had been there when Tatianna was presented as a Princess of Balfour. The man purposefully made certain that he was not seen, particularly since he was not overly fond of such large social gatherings. Indeed, the only reason that the man had dared to be in attendance was simply as a show of support for Tianna. The young woman had a special place in his heart, a place reserved for students and daughters he did not yet have. To Alexander, Tianna was a lovely young butterfly still fresh from the chrysalis. The wings were still fleshing out and she was still learning to fly. It was a fragile stage. It was a vulnerable stage.

Marcus, to his concern (and perhaps anger), had swooped in to press an advantage. There was no mistaking the look in the man's eye and the intent in his movement. Alexander may have been a widower and a scholar, but he still knew full well the desires a man felt for a woman! It was only natural! Tianna was a beautiful young woman, what young man would not be enamored by her beauty. Yet, Alexander was fully aware of just what it meant to catch Marcus's scrutinizing eye.

Alexander would not stand for it.

Thus, only once Reed and Rosemary had done the prudent thing in 'rescuing' the damsel from Marcus and the dance was concluded did Alexander make his move. The man moved like some sort of shadow or serpent through the crowd to approach Marcus. There was a friendly smile on his face. "My dear nephew, Marcus. I hate to pull you away, but there is some urgent matter I need to discuss with you." Alexander chuckled very awkwardly as he put his arm around Marcus's shoulders and proceeded to guide him out of the ball room.

@Marcus Romanov
    Last edited by Alexander Romanov; 06-22-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First it was Rosemary who had pulled him away from his grand time with Tatianna, now it was Alexander’s turn. Unfortunately for Marcus, Rosemary was happy to relinquish her dance partner to the other Romanov man. After a quick summons and an arm draped over his shoulders, Marcus was led away from the scene and out into the hall.

It would have taken a moron to not know what this could have been about. Marcus knew that the topic of conversation would be about but it didn’t wipe the smile off of his face. He wasn’t really the type to show any fear even during times when he was supposed to. When they came to an intended destination, the young Romanov lord raised a brow at Alexander and asked, “Is there something wrong?”

@Alexander Romanov

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was there something wrong? Was there something wrong?! What kind of question was that?! The look on Alexander's face showed it all. The mixed expression of bemusement, frustration and perhaps anger. "Is there somethin-" He started, gesturing wildly toward the door of the lounge they had just entered. The sounds of the ball could still reach their ears easily. "You can't just-!" The gesture was still aimed toward the ballroom almost wildly. "Do you realize what you've-" At this point, both hands were opened in almost pleading manner toward Marcus. "That is not just a woman you can-!" At this point, the pleading gestures turned into some vague circling motion, as though it would convey clearly what he was trying to say.

A deep breath was suddenly drawn in, realizing that he looked and sounded like a damned fool. Fingers pinched the bridge of his nose, trying hard to think of how to convey what he was thinking and feeling. "What are you doing?!" The question was suddenly blurted out of him, realizing that he asked it far louder than he had intended. The man winced, feeling like a fool and that same hand covered his own face.

@Marcus Romanov

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Alexander struggled with the challenge of completing any kind of sentence, Marcus folded his arms, tucking his hands under his armpits and watched with sheer amusement. The gestured paired with the random stops in thought were equally as entertaining. Through every question half-asked he watched and raised a brow curiously, or tried to encourage Alex to finish his sentence with a glance or a nod. But no matter what his older cousin tried it was to no avail. To say the man was at a loss for words was an understatement.

Eventually the man gathered his wits long enough to at least ask a clear question. Marcus knew that Alexander was easily flustered and when the words finally did come out, albeit loud, the man immediately seemed to pull back in embarrassment. Marcus casually took a look around to see no one was here before smiling and replying back, “I believe the answer to that particular question is…dancing.”

A light chuckle escaped his lips before he pointed to the older man and shook his finger a few times as part of the gesture, “You know you should try it some time with that divine looking assistant of yours. I’m sure she has a great deal of skill with her feet as she does her hands.”

@Alexander Romanov

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Oh no!" Alexander shook a finger at Marcus, "No! You are not going to do that! You are too damned skilled at that for your own good, Marcus Romanov." He was not going to let Marcus make it about Annemarie again. His nephew always seemed to make a point of bringing her up in conversation. Why did he do that? She was his student! Not some woman to go sniffing after! Besides, there was no way that Annemarie would be interested in him in such a manner... not that such thoughts had ever entered Alexander's poor cluttered mind, anyway.

"We are staying focused on the topic at hand: Princess Tatianna. She is a sweet, innocent and naive young woman. She is fresh to this world, and she has no idea of the dangers that it inherits. That damned Court could eat her alive at a moment's notice, and where would the King be then?" As much as Alexander professed his dislike of the Court, he seemed to be oddly knowledgeable of its proclivities and general impacts on daily life for the nobles of Balfour. "And I saw the look in your eye, Marcus. I've seen it before."
    @Marcus Romanov
    Last edited by Alexander Romanov; 06-23-2014 at 09:14 PM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was almost a smile of devious intent when he saw Alexander try to divert the topic back to him. Even if Alex really didn’t understand himself all that much along the way, Marcus had picked up the signs a long time ago. But trying to have that kind of conversation with the older Romanov was a losing battle so it was more fun to tease him about it and hope that maybe someday the poor sap would draw his own conclusions.

Casually Marcus scratched at the scruff along his jawline as he listened to Alex yammer on about the innocence that was Princess Tatianna. The poor girl was likely to have a bore of a time if this many people thought she was hoping to stay caged after gaining freedom unlike any other. He now felt sorry for her. Leaving one imprisoned fate only to be confined to another? It didn’t suit his whims at all; perhaps that was the benefit of being so low on the totem pole, just as Alexander was free to do.

When the conversation came to abrupt halt, the young Romanov lord could only shrug. “I asked her to dance and she let me dance with her. If she didn’t know me or feel comfortable she could have easily ignored me for some other lord who’s looking to make a meal of her for other reasons. My intent is simple, and I doubt she was unaware of it when she took my hand tonight.”

There was then a quiet pause before Marcus randomly threw in, “You sure about Lady Annemarie? Because if you don’t like to dance then I could always entertain her a bit seeing as you feel disinclined to let me dance with my intended lady of the evening.”

@Alexander Romanov

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alexander was about to make a point about Tatianna, but then the man found himself stopped cold Marcus's audacity. All he could do was stare at the man for a long moment. It was clear that his mind was thinking over the words, but he was also determining if Marcus said them. Did the young man have the temerity to speak to him in such a manner? The scholar's mind suddenly went to racing, as though he analyzing every possible outcome of his next reaction. He could walk away. He could stay silent. He could scoff. He could laugh and wave off the comment. He could start strangling the man. He could punch him. He could slap him. The possibilities were enormous. Alexander's fists visibly clenched and raised up.

The memory of Corinne's death flashed before his eyes. He had shoved her in anger born out of fear. No. He would not do it again. Alexander seemed to flinch oddly. The hands suddenly turned to grip Marcus's shoulders firmly.

"Stay away from her, Marcus," the voice was oddly cold and distant. "And you stay way from Tatianna. I know what you are thinking. You want to expose Tatianna to the world. To happiness. To the joys that a woman as lovely as her could possibly experience, but ... it's not for her. She's damned by her blood and birth. You mean, well, I think. I feel it. But you're not what she needs." Alexander shook his head, as if in a daze.

@Marcus Romanov

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His cousin turned chillingly cold on him out of the blue, and while others may have balked at the tone the young lord simply raised a brow at him. Did Alexander really want to go down this dark route with him? He had seen that kind of look in others’ eyes before. That territorial look that was a sure sign that Alexander was so hooked on Annemarie that Marcus might as well have threatened to bed his wife for as serious of an affront the man was taking his comments.

“Why, Alex? Why should I stay away?” He gave his cousin a curious smirk before then rolling his eyes and going, “You realize that I was kidding and clearly you gave yourself away on more aspects than one, right? I say, cousin…for one who claims himself a scholar, you’re impeccably obtuse about your own observations.”

Playfully he tapped his cousin on the arm and then listened again as he was being scolded to stay away from the princess as well. Alexander certainly had a bleak perspective on the whole thing.

“Damned by her blood? I thought she was considered saved by this whole sacrificial nonsense. You make it sound like you’ve put her back on that podium to get her throat slit again.” Clearing his throat he sighed with a bit of boredom in his tone, “Look, you want to shelter her like a little lamb then that is all well and good. But trust me when I say that the princess can handler herself quite well. And might I add that if she wants to play with fire there’s no one who’s going to be able to stop her. She’ll find a way.”

@Alexander Romanov

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Because she's a not a toy for you to play with, Marcus," he answered flatly and bluntly. Had Marcus really been playing with him? It was hard to tell. Marcus was one of those that tested boundaries to see just how far he could go without getting into a great deal of trouble. Thus, in conclusion, no, Alexander could not say that Marcus was just kidding. Marcus was testing. Marcus was probing. It was a Romanov trait, Alexander supposed; everyone had their own way of testing their limits. "I don't know what you're attempting to imply, but despite my being a scholar, it is possible for me to care for someone and not want to see them hurt."

Alexander slowly tipped his head, continuing on with his point. "You go from woman to woman, Marcus, sampling them like a desserts on a tray. Once you're done with one, you move on to the next. Does Annemarie, to you, look like a woman that merely wants to be sampled? And what of Tatianna? Were you planning to merely sample her, or do you have something more serious in mind?" He waved his hand, "I have no desire to keep Tatianna innocent in the ways of the world. That is foolish, selfish and naive. What I don't want is for her to get hurt. You are who you are, Marcus and I am not asking you to change. Yet, will you be able to help yourself?"

The man wasn't certain that he was being too harsh in that moment, but something within Alexander had his mind reeling. He was concerned. He was concerned both for Marcus and for Tatianna. In truth, he wanted them both to be happy... but could they keep from hurting each other?

@Alexander Romanov

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marcus couldn’t help but chuckle at how Alexander was taking the whole Annemarie thing. “In case you haven’t noticed, she has no interest in me. I only charm the willing. Though I have been known to rise to the challenge every once in a while. However that is not the case, obviously you should see that.”

Moving on to other matters, it intrigued him to see that Alexander had such a soft spot for women when he was usually so aloof to anything past his studies. “I didn’t know you cared so much.” Yet another playful jab at his older cousin who seemed eager to impart wisdom upon deaf ears. Marcus was not lord of the house nor anywhere close to it. Of course he was going to sample women like fine desserts, why shouldn’t he?

“I am quite certain that many of them think of me as just another notch on their belts as they are to mine, cousin. The princess will likely find herself nothing but an exhausting line of suitors who want her favor, title, and position of power. I want nothing but her time and perhaps a romp or two for laughs. If anything I am just a toy for her to play with until such a time as her brother saddles her up to some pompous ass from a Balfourian house. Or perhaps a Tuneric prince with just as much need to sully her zest for life by tethering her down to children and royal obligations.” Lightly Marcus shrugged and attempted to get back to the questions at hand. “When you compare the two, do you really think I am such the villain that you make me out to be? I wouldn’t hurt her, that’s never been my intent. If anything I’ve walked softly around the lady, you should at least give me credit for that much.”

@Alexander Romanov

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alexander frowned sharply at Marcus, not sure if he cared for the man's all to casual tone. "There are times I never know with you, Marcus, despite what you say. Sometimes, I think I understand your motives and desires, and then others, I find myself wondering what sort of rationality or compulsion drives you into action." Alexander's lips seemed to thin. "I just worry that one day, my dear boy, you are going to land yourself into a world of trouble and hurt, and you'll scarcely know how to get yourself out of it. Charisma can only go so far." That much should have been obvious to him by now.

"Because you said it yourself, damn it," Alexander snapped at him, "She's been in a sheltered life and now she's suddenly being thrust into one that is entirely different than the one she's known. A romp or two may be for laughs for you, but you are assuming they will be the same for her. How can you possibly know she will treat it so lightly? Not everyone views acts as carnality so flippantly." And, yet, it took Alexander only a few moments to realize that his complaints and wisdom were not being heard. "Bah," he waved his hand dismissively.

"Fine. You say your intention is not to hurt her, but I am strongly tempted to take your word for it. If she gets hurt..." He shook his head slowly, his expression grim.

@Marcus Romanov

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “You’re not her father or her brother, Alex.” Marcus cut his cousin off at the tail end of the last sentiment. “Besides, I think you have enough of your own troubles to deal with than to interfere with a royal’s affairs. My parents meddle thoroughly in my actions; I’m certain they do not require your assistance.”

Shaking his head, Marcus wanted to disengage out of this conversation. It was nothing but the same tired lecture by the same disapproving faces. Alexander buried his nose in scholarly affairs and observations much like Wilhelm. The only difference is that Wilhelm didn’t judge him for it like everyone else. Marcus pursued the philosophy of life’s pleasures and human interaction. .

“I’m not that hard to figure out.” Marcus added near the end. “Perhaps it is best if you go back to enjoy the party in my absence. I shall see you in the morning to ride out.”

@Alexander Romanov