User Tag List

Thread: Telltale Meeting - Homestead Tavern 10/8 Evening- Rex and Lillith (Open to Avaynes)

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Telltale Meeting - Homestead Tavern 10/8 Evening- Rex and Lillith (Open to Avaynes)

The rooms were far too cramped for Lillith, who already missed the endless sky of Aston’s coast. Having transported from the carriage to the small confines of their rented suite left much to be desired, causing Lillith to steal away from her number crunching husband to the tavern below. She brought a book and coin for a bottle of wine, or perhaps two depending on how the evening played out. The last few days had been plagued with self restraint when it came to wine consumption and Lillith was quite ready to wash that away, one glass at a time. Lord Cade was more than welcome to join and Lillith had the good graces to invite her son and his wife as well, though all three seemed content to remain in their current company. She would not complain.

One thing to be said of their current location involved the excellent atmosphere that decorated the tavern hall. Lanterns lit the dark corners, flowery vases filled the empty spaces between tapestries depicting ancient battles and glorious heroes of old. Due to her husband’s travels, they always found the best of the best and this tavern was no different.

She took up residence in the corner by the fireplace, happily lounging in a plush chair with a high back and dome to shelter her face from the open window’s breeze. The bottle of wine she requested came with a single glass. Lillith let it breath for a moment while she opened her book and soaked in the quite air. Her senses were alight with the smells of ale and food that, mingling with the sound of the world outside of the walls that surrounded her. It would not surprise the Avayne Lady if she stayed in this very spot all evening, listening, watching, and relaxing.

And as always, drinking.

@Rexius Talratheon
    @Cade Avayne (should you wish to join us)

House Talratheon Rexius Talratheon's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rexius would arrive to Hebron by morning but the nights were becoming colder and he didn't want any of his men getting sick. His guard sergeants and retinue had built and encampment down the road, while he and a few of his knights took a nights rest here in the large tavern. It was an impressive structure for not being a keep, but he hadn't sought to remain in maple glade any longer, after all he needed to get on his way lest he'd never leave the Wooded Reach. The door opened and two of his knights entered first, two of them making quickly paths to the bar to get a stiff drink, Rexius followed with three more knights in tow, never let it be said he rode undefended. His knights where mostly dressed in gambeson, tunics, hosen and boots the proper gear for knights. Rexius was dressed more elegantly. black leather long tunic with silver embossed fastens down the chest, tied at the waist with a matching black leather belt with silver buckle and a long sword and dagger sheathed at his sides. He wore with it black gloves, boots, and a white long shirt beneath with only the sleeves reveal all draped by a leather and wolves fur cloak.

Clean shaven, and his hair cut short and blonde, his green eyes scanned the tavern a moment as he plucked his gloves off loosening the gloves at each finger tip before slowly pulling it off and walking forward as the door was shut behind him, the remaining two knights staying close to him until, Rexius unfastening the chest straps of his cloak and pulled it off, draping it on his arm and holding it out for a knight to take. Several coin purses hung on his belt as he tucked his gloves behind his dagger and moves to the tavern keeper, "One of your finest rooms and a hot bath to be prepared." He didn't bother asking if one was available, they'd make one available, he fished out a few silver coins and tossed them on the bar before pausing a moment and tossing another couple of coins. "Drinks for these knights, food as well whatever is hot.. I'll take a bottle of your finest mead, sweet not bitter and a mug."

Knowing the bath would take some time he walked over to the fireplace, finding an equally plush chair on the opposite side of the fireplace as he sat and eyed the older woman. Merely by what she wore and stood out from other women she was either the wife of a very wealthy merchant or a lady. It would be better to address her as the latter and be correct than ignore her status as noble peerage. "My Lady." Rexius slowly bowed his head in respect and notice before slowly sitting and sighing in the moment, he leaned forward and raised his hands towards the fire to warm his finger tips and wait for his mead to arrive.

@Lillith Avayne

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was supposed to be a quiet evening was quickly turning into a company affair. The door to the inn did not remain closed and Lillith glanced over the top of her book with mild interest to spy the newest arrivals. Nameless knights poured through the door piquing the Avayne’s interest before their obvious Lord came into view. She studied his features from across the room, watching as he immediately took command and seemed to make himself right at home. Returning to her book, Lillith pursed her lips as she tried to put a name to the face with no avail.

Before she could ponder over the Lord further, footfalls echoed on the wood stone flooring and she looked up briefly to find him closing the gap between them. She had half a mind to close her book and return to her room, but curiosity kept Lillith in her place.

The fire’s allure captured the Lord’s attention but not before he bowed a hello and addressed her properly. Crystal blue eyes wavered from the page before her to meet the younger man’s gaze with a nod of her own. ”My Lord,” Lillith replied coldly, the greeting slipping from her tongue with grace and reserve. Turning the tome’s corner down, Lillith closed the leather cover and set the volume down on the table before reaching for her wine. ”Late travels?” She asked after a delicate sip, her eyes tracing the figure across from her. ”It is not often that I have trouble placing a face to one of our houses, but you, my Lord, are a mystery. Pray tell, who honors me with their presence?”

@Rexius Talratheon

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rexius welcomed the warmth by the nearby fire as he sat and made himself a bit more comfortable with his own personal side slouch, he didn't expect conversation from the lady in his proximity until she returned his greeting and he smiled with a slight nod. Then she closed her book and continued as Rexius smiled slightly out of social obligation and get a slight nod. "Aye, you could say that.." He wasn't going to have mentioned having left Castle Hepburn since it didn't seem pertinent. He tucked a thumb behind his belt and relaxed looking over and noticed her gaze tracing him. Her statement made him smile as he sat up and was about the speak when his valet had entered and approached and spoke up. "My Lady, you have the pleasure of addressing His Lo.." But the valet stopped as Rexius turned sharply and glared at him. "Go polish a saddle or have a drink."

The valet nodded and departed As Rexius watched him for a moment before slowly turning and straightening up as Rexius looked to Lilith and smiled. "My apologies my lady, my valet can be rather rambunctious at times he forgets his manners in the company outside of Westwood." Rexius chuckled slightly and sighed before continuing. "I am Lord Rexius the Third, of House Talratheon Lord of Westwood, might I have the pleasure of knowing you better my lady?"

@Lillith Avayne

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a moment after the question left her lips did a new face appear before Lillith. A valet by the looks of it and the confirmation came no sooner than her thought. "My Lady, you have the pleasure of addressing His Lo.." The Lord’s glaring glance was not missed by Lillith but she did not gawk, rather preferring to keep her cool gaze on the overzealous aide. This is why she preferred to leave their valets with Cade, and why she never kept her handmaidens close. They spoke far too much for her liking. "Go polish a saddle or have a drink." It seemed as if they shared similar habits, this mystery Lord and her.

Westwood. There it was. Lillith had almost narrowed it down to a few seats and Westwood was on the tip of her tongue before the Lord mentioned it. Curious indeed. A shadow of a smile appeared on her lips as she regarded the man once more. ”No apologies needed, Lord Talratheon. I find it curious that we have not met before, though I do not know why. Both of our houses have the reputation of being rather… secluded by nature. Lady Avayne… Lillith Avayne, a pleasure.” Sipping her wine once more, Lillith paused briefly to allow the introduction a moment to sink in before her gaze turned to his knights at the bar. ”You must not be returning to Westwood, with such a group of lively men. Beginning your journey south, I assume?”

@Rexius Talratheon

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rexius was never surprised that most nobles he'd met and even knights had no idea who the hell he was, he wasn't exactly a Shellten and hardly considered public. Not with the state of affairs in Westwood in earlier int he year and late last year. "Lady Avayne, I'm greatly honored to make your acquaintance." Rexius looked to the side as the barkeep brought a bottle of mead and a clean flagon. However Rexius smiled and gave the man a nod as he plucked up the flagon and inspected it personally, his green gaze peering inside of the flagon as he tried to spot smears of green, old ale or mead or dirt. Taking the time to smell it he looked up to Lillith and smiled, he of course had to remember the family name and run it through his head from the lessons taught.

She was of Dover Hill and the fact she titled her self Lady Avayne rather than Lady Lillith likely meant she was the Lord's wife .. or stupid, he'd side with the former. He didn't follow her gaze as she looked behind him towards the bar and smiled at he set his flagon down and reached for the bottle of mead, he didn't immediately respond either as he pulled out the cork with a audible pop and slowly poured the golden brown liquid into the flagon. "Correct, I'm going towards the capital seeking to make my visits upon the Temples and to generally take a much needed sabbatical from Westwood for the time being. I've been there far too long without seeing much of the rest of the kingdom.. wanderlust they call it I believe." He emptied the bottle into the large flagon and set it aside before lifting the flagon by the grip and sipped a bit from it before setting ti down and licking his lips.

"Are you returning to Dover Hill?" Rexius asked back as he leaned back into the chair to relax a bit more he desire to look about impeded by his courtesy to look a Lady in the eyes when she spoke.

@Lillith Avayne

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ”Indeed, it is a pleasure,” Lillith replied, keeping her smile tight lipped as she swirled the wine in her glass absentmindedly. Though she hadn’t expected company, to say that he was a bother would be far from the truth. Lillith did not mind this type of meeting, especially when it involved Lords she did not know. There were webs to weave and people to meet.

Nodding in reply to his confirmation of her assumption, Lillith replied, ”Very good. The capital is beautiful this time of the year. Be sure to visit the Conservatory, their trees bear exotic fruits that make the visit worthy.”

His question brought a larger smile to her lips, though it still did not reach her eyes. Perhaps it was her tiredness from the affair in Aston, or her longing for home after being subjected to the lull of the ocean she had so greatly been missing. ”Yes, to Dover. My husband has work to complete and I have matters to attend to.” She paused to allow for a sip of wine before she exhaled slowly and licked her lips. ”I am surprised that you did not join us in Aston. It was the perfect stage for getting acquainted with the other Lords of the land.” Given that this was their first meeting, Lillith had no idea what this Lord Talratheon’s views on politics were, nor did she know what he had planned in the way of alliances. Perhaps she could find some sort of enlightenment from their discussion.

@Rexius Talratheon

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rexius nodded in reply, keeping his smile in turn as he took the items from the barkeep though now having it filled he made it quick to quench his thirst and taste with a quick swig and followed it with a second leaving a thin line of foam on his upper lips as he slowly licked it away and sighed in satisfaction before offering the Lady a slight single shoulder shrug. "Conservatory you say.. yes I'll add that to my list of sights to see. Thank you Lady Avayne." He held up the mug and in a salute of sorts before taking a third swig of mead as his eyes broke from her to study more the interior.

He looked back when she spoke more of her destination and smiled a bit leaning back, "Yes I understand, A Lord and Ladies work is hardly ever done." He knew that truth far too well for anyone to know, his own duties barely had him leaving or wanting to leave Westwood and even had it keen on his mind but he figured if anyone could rule in his stead it could be a more than capable uncle. Rexius himself took another swig of mead and smirked, "My duties kept me preoccupied unfortunately, however I did send a letter of my condolences for my lack of arrival with a gift in compensation." Rexius decided not to shares his insular views but continued, "Besides there will always be another feast or gala for me to delve myself into and forge friendships and the like."

Rexius raise a brow a moment and smirked slightly as he took the mug and rested it atop his thigh, still possessing it with an acute grip. "Pray I ask did you find Aston as an adequate stage for ... acquaintances, Lady Avayne?" He asked probing her own experience in comparison to the event in whole.

@Lillith Avayne

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lady Avayne nodded once in response to his words of thanks. ”There will always be another feast,” She repeated in turn with a brief chuckle before she turned to her wine again. It did not take Lillith long to formulate an opinion about the man across from her but it was continually changing. She recognized a bit arrogance in his gaze, but wisdom in the way the kingdom worked – the type of wisdom only a Lord of his house could possess. Yet, there was a hit of innocence, of youthfulness and recklessness that made her question his abilities. He was certainly one to watch out for.

His question caught her off guard though and caused her to remove herself from the thoughts that had invaded her mind. Crystal blue eyes shifted to meet his gaze and she held it unwaveringly for a moment…. Two moments… before she smiled. ”Always, Lord Talratheon. Every moment spent in the company of another Lord of this realm is a stage. When set, you will find your role and your script, and you will play. As we all do.” She paused and studied the color of her wine by the light of the fire. “How satisfactory your performance is… well… that is what seals your fate. You will learn that soon enough, if you have not already.”

@Rexius Talratheon

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rexius had thought about the conservatory ever since she mentioned it, he was after all a Lord of the Reach, nature and trees were a part of him they made him comfortable and he would be lying if he said going to a city of stone and water didn't make him apprehensive. But knowing there was a place away from there no matter how insular brought a degree of comfort to Rex, he chuckled at the mention of another feat but refused to comment further, after all what else could be said on it that would merely make it a repetitive and boring subject very quickly.

Looking at her blue eyes meet his own emerald colored eyes as he watched her consider an answer, he could already tell she was thoughtful enough to consider what she said before she said .. he wasn't though. He thought about what she said and found it a rather cynical way to view meeting his peers, was it really so difficult that one would simply consider it simple conversations and light politics. Of course it might be considered a stage to those who held ambition higher than the station they currently possessed. "I fear I'll be finding that out quite soon." He smiled politely and took another deep swig of mead, nearly finishing the mead completely as he instead set it down on the table next to the chair.

He inspected his calloused hand a moment and looked up to her curiously, "Have you not held a single encounter with another Lord that was simply comfortable and felt less scripted?" He questioned, gauging her own point of view on the matter.

@Lillith Avayne
    Last edited by Rexius Talratheon; 09-24-2014 at 06:56 AM.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His response was as tame as she imagined it would be and Lillith could only purse her lips in thought as her gaze slipped from her wine to her company. If he imagined that such a feat was possible than the Avaynes truly had no need to consider House Talratheon a possible threat. Not that they had already, for if that were so Lillith would have heard more of the lesser known House.

No, this Lord still had a great deal of learning to do when it came to his adversaries. Lillith would not be the one to teach him that lesson. But she could not decide if the truth were necessary in this instance. A comfortable, unscripted discussion with another Lord… She pondered his question for a brief moment before her purse lips turned up slightly, in the sly way her lips managed.

”Of course,” Lillith replied, looking the man up and down once again with intent in her gaze. ”It is a rare day indeed that such occurs, but it has been known to happen.” Whether she was lying or being starkly truthful, the Lord would never know. She let her words linger before she turned the question to him.

”And you, Lord Talratheon… These candid conversations…do you have them often?”

@Rexius Talratheon

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rexius never considered himself a threat to anyone, call it ignorant or simply the joy of realm based stagnation. He held no true higher aspirations from his current station nor understood the reason why his city built income from wood, furs, leather and salt one of which was a required commodity. His financial future was secure and his station cemented nor had he the ambition or drive to push anyone from their current sitting pedestal though with coming from the recent brimstone of civil conflict he merely enjoy the peace that followed, no matter how unnerving.

Her answer came again, though not without pause as Rexius nodded and smiled slightly she was very considerate of she said before she said it. It was both interesting and said a lot about the woman that he'd leave unspoken, "I see." He said keeping his answer short and to the point before looking to her blue eyes and considering her own question. "Yes, I do quite frequently Lady Avayne. Nothing I would consider rare or uncommon place." Rexius commented just as easily. Because he reached for his mug and finished off the mead with a deep sip before sighed and leaning back with a considered thought. But first he set the mug from and drummed the arm of the chair with his finger before laying his hand flat.

"If i'm not mistaken Lady Avayne, your son... is married to a Hunter, The name eludes me .. T.. Taylor, Tritsa... no forgive me, Lady Taia." Rexius recalled from the correspondences and written rumor, especially with Alyson he had a much more knowledgeable bank of information concerning the Hunters. "A belated congratulations, how does that arrangement fare?"

@Lillith Avayne

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She smile she offered him was one of calculating interest and slight disbelief. Still, it was a smile regardless. ”That is good to hear,” Lillith replied simply, though I do not believe it. She refilled her wine glass with the bottle on the table, not bothering to wait for the barkeep to do it for her.

After a bit of silence and drink from the both of them, the Talratheon changed the subject to the Hunters, specifically her daughter-in-law. Had her name been mentioned a year before or more, Lillith would have scoffed before expressing her distaste. But she would be lying if she said she did not care for the girl now. The show she had put on for Sir Kendrick attested to her fondness, whether she wanted it to or not.

”My son loves her with every grain of his existence. We never thought he would develop such feelings. That says something of her upbringing, seeing as how easily she charmed a snake. Otherwise, I have no qualms with Lady Taia, except perhaps her free spirit and hasty, reckless decisions. Though I hear that is a trait most Hunters share.” Pausing, Lillith’s eyes shifted to the stairwell half expecting to find one of her entourage spying. She smiled when she found they were not.

”Curious about the Hunters, Lord Talratheon?”

@Rexius Talratheon

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rexius nodded to her response before watching as the nearby barkeep came by with a bottle of fresh ale and offered to show it to Rexius as Rexius gave a nod for the barkeep to refill it. He watched the thick brown liquid refill in his mug until the frothy concoction reached the top and the barkeep retreated back to the confines of the bar. It must have been a good day of business for him hosting two noble Lords and the coin that came with it. Much better than the usual rabble that likely passed through with a questionable amount of coin trying to barter for rooms and drink rather than simply pay.

Rexius had a bit of a personal interest but wouldn't exactly express it so quickly as he asked of the Hunters, he nodded at her response and chuckled before taking his mug and taking a pleasant sip of the ale. "Yes that is a very noticeable traits with Hunters it would seem my Lady." The question then came when she took a pause to look at people in the distance, Rexius smirked and shrugged, "They are my neighboring provincial noble house.. perhaps a little bit of curiosity I think. I'm to run into one eventually aye?

@Lillith Avayne

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smirking, Lillith raised an eyebrow and raised her glass to her lips again. But before she could knock back a sip, she paused, and regarded her company curiously. ”Everyone runs into a Hunter at some point, Lord Talratheon,” She replied with a scoff. ”Though Lady Taia is the only Hunter I have had the distinct pleasure of conversing with, all it takes is one…” That was a lie, but the woodland Lord would be none the wiser to her little fib. ”I wish you the best of luck with that endeavor. They are quite a curious family, though most of our noble houses are, with their own quirks.”

That said, she knew very little about the man that sat across from her and his house. ”Tell me, Lord Talratheon, what is it that House Talratheon specializes in? I seem to have let you and your name slip through my cracks.”

@Rexius Talratheon

(Sorry for the lateness of this! I completely let this thread slip through! Sorry )

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rexius smirked, "True enough, they seem to scatter everywhere like leaves in Autumn." Rexius scratched at the stubble on his cheek as he looked back to Lillith, "Mmm, the only one. I suppose so." It was a very obvious lie at least to Rexius if her son was indeed married to a Hunter it would be strange that she.. the man's mother would have never spoken to another Hunter. But he didn't see the need to point it out, "Thank you, and true I think all the noble houses have some curious .. qualities or .. as you put, quirks." Rexius snickered and sighed. Though when the question turned to his own how and what he specialized in he only needed a few seconds to formulate a thought on the matter.

"Salt." He said simply, of course merchant's usually bought the salt and put their own labels on crates to sell at a higher price to those that demanded it. "Salt, lumber and salted meats, though just barely for the latter." He said it rather humbly.

@Lillith Avayne

(Np, glad you remembered.)