User Tag List

Thread: Unexpected Company - 10/4 afternoon, Castle Hepburn - Bosleigh/Rexius

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unexpected Company - 10/4 afternoon, Castle Hepburn - Bosleigh/Rexius

"My Lord?"

Leigh had been in that state where he was hovering between drunken sleep and oncoming hangover, and the valet's words made him snort and convulse back into waking. Putting the hand that was not clutching the wine bottle to his head to steady it, the middle Hepburn son massaged his temple before looking over to the intruder. "For the love of Bessie's tits, what is it man?"

The servant straightened and had to labor not to sigh audibly. With a slight bow, he cleared his throat. "The new lord of Westwood is here, sir. He is awaiting you in Lord Grant's study."

The knight frowned and tried to force his brain to focus, but the organ was not cooperating. "New lord of Westwood?"

His valet now did sigh audibly, and nodded. "Sir Rexius Talratheon, my lord."

Leigh shrugged and swung his legs from where they had been splayed over the arm of the couch and planted them somewhat unsteadily on the floor. "Right," he called out, though he couldn't be sure it was. "Who was the old lord of Westwood?"

Moving to throw open the windows and allow light to pass through the shutters, the valet rolled his eyes. "The seat has been vacant since the disappearance of Lord Bailen Greenwood, sir."

Finally standing and stretching until his back cracked, the knight nodded. "Well, what does he want? Doesn't he know that Grant and Satrina aren't here?"

"From what I understand my lord, he is enroute to Hebron, and was seeking quarter for a night or two." The valet returned to his post at the door, turning back to wait for his master. "I have set the servants to preparing him rooms."

Another scowl crossed Leigh's face as he moved to the wash basin to throw water at it. "Why? Is the inn full up?" He knew that he was obligated to quarter a fellow lord, and his brother and grandmother would be scandalized if he turned the man away. But that didn't mean that he couldn't be annoyed at the intrusion. For a minute, he stopped with water cupped in his hands over the basin and thought hard about what rooms the valet might have put him in. The keep was currently hosting a few questionable women of whom his family would not approve, and Leigh wondered if he should sneak them out before this visitor spied them.

Moving toward the hall, he groaned. "Fine," he said at last to the man who had woken him. "I shall go extend our hospitality. Or whatever."

When he reached Grant's study, Leigh checked his clothing to make sure there was no wine spilled on it, or worse, that he wasn't wearing something that he should be wearing. Satisfied as much as he cared, he pushed the door open to observe the Lord of Westwood. "Talratheon, is it?" He entered the room without care for protocol and plopped himself into Grant's chair behind the desk. "Trip was uneventful I hope," he asked, not really caring. "Glad to have you and all. Afraid the house is sparsely populated. My brother and the rest of the family are away on business, you understand. Wine?" Leigh had just realized that he was still holding the bottle as he began to pull drawers open in the desk, apparently in search of glasses, since he wasn't the only one drinking anymore.

@Rexius Talratheon

House Talratheon Rexius Talratheon's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rexius had rode from Westwood to Maple Glade and it seemed strange that in the long stretch of road there wasn't a single city but hell that only meant that was more territory under his purview, he passed many of his vassals on the way leaving Westwood but refused board not merely because he didn't wish to intrude but he didn't want to owe them any form of favor. Outside the city of Maple Glade however his encampment of men at arms, magisters and other members of his personal guard remained outside the city in a large camp. However Rexius and his hand chosen knights would remain in proper holdings for the night if it could be helped, he'd never personally heard much of house Hepburn other than what was taught but then again they weren't as extravagant as House Shellten, Thorne or Sinclair... at least those were houses that he put to memory for a reason.

Rexius had arrived at the castle requesting quarter, and was promptly led to Lord Hepburn's study where he found a nice window to peer from for the moment at least until he was seen to. Dressed in black long tunic flowing down mid calf, with dark green silk lining, black leather armor, fastened with silver hooks, embossed with intricate tree designs with matching boots, and a black bear fur and leather cloak. His face was clean shaven from the morning, and his pale blonde hair neatly cropped and cut short. He refused possible drink at the time given he didn't exactly like wine that much and decided to wait for a Hepburn to see him. When a Hepburn did arrive he expecting something a bit more polished but he would take what was given. He turned slowly, his eyes looking up and down at the middle child Hepburn and smiling slightly.

"Yes, Lord Talratheon." Rexius said adding a minor correction as he followed the man with his eyes at watched him sit behind the desk as he finally turned his body and faced him. Rexius took the time to look about the study and spoke without looking to his disinterested host, "As eventful as a sick whore, who is sleeping on your paid silver." His green eyes finally looked over to the young Hepburn or at least he assumed it was a Hepburn. "No worries, I didn't come for the company and yes I understand.. business can have a habit or emptying a house. No thank you I don't partake." Rexius smirked slightly. "Of wine, but ale or mead I'll gladly accept." Rexius was very particular when it came to wine and he generally didn't like most wine, so in common terms he didn't like any wine.

He slowly approached the desk sitting on one of the chairs in front of it as he spread his legs and slightly slouched, "I didn't catch you name?"

@Bosleigh Hepburn

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the host took note of the correction, he didn't make it known. He was eyeing the other oddly, a look of exasperation on his face. "Ale? My good man, nobody drinks ale at this hour of the morning." He was about to go on, when the valet cleared his throat at the door and Leigh looked up at him. "Hmmm?"

"Noon is an hour past, my lord."

Turning to look at the window, Bosleigh Hepburn squinted at the brightness of the outside, but rather than go and check the sun in the sky, he took the man's word for it. "Oh," he said, setting the wine bottle down. "I suppose you better fetch us the flagons then." And the servant departed to fetch ale and other refreshment for the two men.

When his head finally got around to what Talratheon was say, Leigh stopped to consider whether the man was speaking in similes, or whether he had happened upon a sick whore on the way through the castle. Deciding that it would be best to play dumb either way, Leigh went back to smiling and shook his head. "I apologize, my lord," he said with a toothy grin. "Ser Bosleigh Hepburn, at your service. And please don't feel the need to stand on protocol. I'm afraid that I have been using the absence of family to take a minor holiday for myself here at home. I don't mind the company, as long as your expectations aren't too high. Oh, we have all the best as far as food and drink go, you know. And some dancing ladies that I have taken it upon myself to provide some entertainment for the autumn evenings. But nothing worth calling in the revelers for, you understand."

Leaning back as the valet returned with a pair of ales for them, the host scooped his up and raised it toward Rexius before taking a pull at the amber liquid. Clearing the foam from his upper lip with his sleeve, he set the glass back down on the desk. "Afraid we haven't heard much out of Westwood lately. I assume you have had no trouble getting your house in good order, my lord?"

@Rexius Talratheon

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "Of course, ale can be taken anytime of the day I'm sure it's past morning somewhere." Rexius said quite proudly when he looked back at the valet clearing his throat and correcting the both of them, Rexius wasn't as thankful since he'd drink ale at anytime putting aside protocols that some old man had established likely decades before his birth on drinking. But regardless turned to look at Leigh the same and smiled when the man turned to confirm by looking outside. "You've quite the attending servant there, mine won't ever tell me the time of day unless I request it." Rexius thought about it being likely due to the fact he wouldn't give a damn what time of the day it was when he wanted something.

At the introduction Rexius bowed his head, not standing up, "Ser Bosleigh it is a pleasure to meet your acquaintance, despite the chance and surprise meeting. No apology required after all I am a guest who arrived without notice, and I blame you for taking a bit of a holiday for your self from what I heard all work and no play.. something something, regardless it can become dull quickly." Rexius paused as he ran his hands along lap of his tunic, "Oh my expectations are never high, leave for less possible disappointment, but dancing ladies.. ale and food what more than a man ask for?" Rexius said with a smirk and looked to the side as the valet arrived with the flagons of ale and scooped one up soon after Leigh. Quickly gulping at the foamy delicious concoction, Rexius pulled it away after taking in a fourth of it and sighing at the feeling of the cool liquid rushing down inside of his throat.

Rexius rested his arm on the arm rest, holding the glass firmly giving a slight shrug of a single shoulder, "Yes, Westwood hasn't exactly been the most pleasant of destinations in the reach until recently but yes I've got my house in order, the trouble however is of opinion. Nothing that would be too hard to decipher.. rebelling vassals and barely noble upstarts, battles and politics.. you know the usual hish hash of Lordship. I trust Maple Glade had been peaceful though? My compliments on your home it is quite nice."

@Bosleigh Hepburn

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leigh considered the valet as he exited into the hall and frowned. "Yes, he is rather the upstart, isn't he? Grant's man, and not mine unfortunately. Spy is what he is. No doubt monitoring my activities for my brother." But there was only a shrug after that. Even Leigh knew that at the end of the day, Grant was unlikely to do much other than whine about his irresponsibility. The bond that had been created by their lack of parental supervision had meant that pretty much all was forgiven, short of burning down the castle.

The guest seemed to be of a like mind to Bosleigh, be it out of politeness or actual shared interest, the young man could not say. Nor did he care, really. The next best thing to a brother-in-arms was an enabling noble. If he wished to join Hepburn's merriment, that was well and good. If he was willing to simply look the other way, that suited him just as well. He seemed to be a an accomplished ale man, by the look of his pull, and Leigh raised his own tankard in appreciation. "Most of the island indulges in a fair schedule of balls and galas," Leigh explained, as though Rexius had been living under a rock. "For myself however, I prefer my gatherings a little more cozier, with an adequate wench to lord ratio," he said with a smile. "I'd rather enjoy myself, than pretend to enjoy myself for the benefit of others."

Hearing that there had been some discord in Westwood surprised Leigh a bit. It struck him as the kind of thing that perhaps he should have heard about. But then again, he was not overly interested in politics and had no great love of battle. He was capable, to be sure, but that didn't mean that it excited him. The hobelars of Maple Glade rarely saw battle, despite training relentlessly. Or, relentlessly when Grant or Seamus were home. The Battle of Pyre Cliff, and the invasion of Balfour had been more battle than he cared for in truth. But, he did come away with more than a few laurels from those endeavors. "Peaceful is an understatement," Leigh told his guest. "We haven't seen a squabble within our borders for nigh on two decades," he said. Even bandits avoided Maple Glade. Hepburn's father had a reputation, and after a few examples had been made, most brigands looked at easier targets closer to the road.

With a heavy sigh, Leigh pulled again at his mug. "I thought I might do some hunting in the late afternoon, Lord Talratheon. Perhaps once you have rested for an hour or so, you'd care to join me? Bucks, most likely. On a good day we stumble on a wolf or a bear. But it's not likely."

@Rexius Talratheon

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When Leigh mentioned the likely purpose of the valet it only got Rexius to thinking to do the same damn thing, it might actually do him a favor to know what his brothers were up to while he was gone. Likely holding drinking games in the great halls with other lords and filling it to the brim with wenches, whores and loose sallies or testing them on his bed.. no they wouldn't be that rambunctious. "Ah yes, that would explain his .. confidence." Rexius said with a slight grin as he looked to Leigh for a moment, "Well I suppose that's what older brothers are for... I wouldn't know to be honest." Rexius wondered at times what it was like to have an older brother but he was the oldest and the rest youngest, but that was life so who could complain. Rexius didn't think much of Bosleigh's methods of killing boredom that match his own and that of his own brothers.

"Balls.. galas aye I've gotten my fair share of invitations, most too far to be worth the enjoyment." And honestly Rexius had been living under a rock having spent a majority of his time in Castle Thassius and Westwood. "Well there does come a point where an event can become ... too large to be enjoyed." Rexius then laughed at the notion of his ratio measurement. "I think I like the way you think Ser Hepburn, it would be remiss to ones own humors to feign pleasure in the place of... actual pleasure." Rexius was familiar with war and strife, he'd fought it for a few years harshly, he was something he enjoyed the adrenaline of battle the feel of pushing a blade into a man's chest. And the partaking of the final expression they held when you pushed them into death's embrace. Yes war was something Rexius could enjoy, politics on the other hand not so much, no Rexius far enjoyed battle over politics he held a position of prestige and sought no further advancement nor wealth.

It was a dangerous thing to say one was content but he was, at Leigh's statement Rexius took along gulp of ale and licked his lips. "I see, then you've my congratulations on a prosperous and peaceful county." Rexius too another sip of ale as he looked into the golden broth in the cup before looking back up. "Hunting you say, that does pique my interest." Rexius took another swig of ale, taking his time in enjoying it'a flavour and swallowing before continuing, "Bears are dwindling in numbers this time of year but the bucks as you say should be out and about ready for a good.. skinning. I would be honored to join you."
    Last edited by Rexius Talratheon; 09-13-2014 at 03:07 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leigh considered the conversation skeptically for a few moments. One could never be sure with lords if what was being said was candidly spoken. They were lords after all. Nobody ever rose to that position honestly, at least not in the mind of Bosleigh Hepburn. But in the end, any social awkwardness would be Grant's problem in the end and not his. He would take Rexius at face value, for now. "And be glad you don't know," Leigh added at last. "They know more than you, are more handsome than you, will make better husbands than you, inherit more than you," he tallied, sighing out his lower lip, blowing the front of his hair up off of his forehead. "The best the you can hope for is to box their ears on the sparring field from time to time," he said with a knowing smile.

He found himself nodding at the other man's words as he sipped his own ale lustily. As he set it down, his finger jabbed at the air in front of Rex. "You know, I don't mind the number of people," he said in afterthought. "The more the merrier and all that. But what bothers me is how pretentious it all is. You know none of those men and women are nearly as snobbish and polite in their own homes, but the second you put a princess or someone in the mix, they all want to pretend like they've never gotten drunk and groped a servant. Hypocrites, if you ask me," he said with a shrug. "If you are there to have a good time, then what is the point in having to pretend like you are having a good time, while you aren't actually having a good time? You know what I mean, my good man?"

Dismissing his congratulations with a wave, Leigh snorted. "Wouldn't mind the occasional scuffle from time to time. Last real bit I had came in the war. But most of our fighting was on the sea or the shore. No real open field battle, you know?" Shaking his head, he sighed a little. "Oh well." Taking another drink, he called for the stable hand and the boy arrived in a few moments. "Ah, there he is," he told Rexius and looked over at the guest. "Boy, ready my hobby for a hunt. And Lord Talratheon," he looked at his guest. "Do you have a horse tacked, or should I set you up, sir?"

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rexius rarely lied.. but rarely still meant some lies were spoken he'd just never reveal which. At Leigh's speech of older brothers, Rexius attempted to fight the growing smirk but failed as Rexius lifted the cup to hide hit while drinking more ale before bringing it down and resting it on his thigh as he held it mildly. "That bad eh? I may need to give my little brothers a bit more slack than in that case." And chuckled softly, and he slowly shook his head gesturing to Leigh with a cup. "I may need to invite you to Castle Thassius for a week of revelry so they can learn to .. box ears as you say, they've missed out a lot on the lessons of putting up a proper fight against me." Rexius said comically seeing the humor of putting his little brothers on their asses for most of his life save for a few isolated occurrences.

"Though.." He said bringing the cup up and tapping the edge to his chin a moment, "Age, may eventually slow me down." He said with an added grin. Remaining relaxed and looked to Leigh as he further explain not the number but pretentiousness, Rexius smiled lightly and shrugged. "Fair point, don't worry you'll not see me change much at events such as that beyond paying proper respects to a Royal otherwise most people in attendance are my peers. No real need to impress, nor desire, I'm quite content where I sit." Rexius said knowing most might perceive that as merely polite fluff or a right out lie and in a way it was, Rexius did crave more but also didn't mind if he never got it, he enjoyed being Lord of Westwood. At the dismissal of congratulations Rexius smirked slightly again.

"Feel free to come to Westwood.. I'm sure there are a few dozen brigands in the forests around the city somewhere, where there is law there is crime, it's damn near unavoidable. It might not be wide spread battle of war but it's certainly something if your sword palm is itching." Boats and shores.. why people would ever fight there he didn't know nor desired it give him a mountain or proper field anyday, something with stable ground. Rexius lifted up his cup and emptied it of ale before looking into the bottom and setting it aside as he looked up to see the stable boy to arrive and looked to Leigh. "I'll give my horse a proper rest for now, I'm sure his shoes need changing I take being set up, should be fun. It'll beat what I've been doing for the past day that's for certain." Rexius said as he stood up and stretched his hands and arms a moment and letting his cloak drape behind him.

@Bosleigh Hepburn