User Tag List

Thread: Reaching Across the Island [ 10/6, early evening, Thurstan and Austin, CLOSED ]

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reaching Across the Island [ 10/6, early evening, Thurstan and Austin, CLOSED ]

Austin took Celina’s advice most seriously. It would only behoove him to better establish relationships with his fellow lords across the island, even if they did come across as surly and dark. Yet, despite the man’s nature, Austin had every confidence that the man would have no qualms whatsoever conducting some business. Money was what made the island go round, after all. Beef was a valuable commodity, one that Austin was admittedly very fond of… even if would always be second to shellfish.

A note had been sent to the man in advance, requesting the pleasure of a meeting in one of the many solar rooms offered by the Sheridans. Yes, it was a time of festivities and dancing, but whenever a gaggle of nobles gathered together, it was also a time of business. Austin had made certain that refreshments were available for the men, whether the preference was wine, brandy or tea. Austin had no idea what the man’s preferences were, but he did pour himself a sliver of brandy. The sea man did enjoy its rich flavors.

Instead of a sea captain, however, he opted to look more like the Lord of House Durand. Thus, he was resplendent in blacks, silvers and whites. Nothing ostentatious, fortunately, but there was no denying that Austin could look lordly when he wanted to.

That and Celina helped him dress.

@Thurstan Metcalfe

House Metcalfe Thurstan Metcalfe's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The missive came that morning. Though Thurstan was surprised at first, the second time he read the script calmed the emotions well. It was only sensible that he meet with the Durand, especially with his interest in the Lord’s sister and the amount of time they had been spending together. While Thurstan had intended to have a conversation about Lady Celina at some point during this event, he had not expected it to be so soon.

Suddenly he was stricken with nerves and a glass of brandy around noon did little to calm them. Dressed in his finest attire – down to a perfectly tied cravat, Thurstan arrived fashionably late with his cane in hand and his hat resting between his ears.

”Lord Durand,” He greeted with a tip of his hat as he bowed graciously. ”A pleasure, as always.” Handing his headgear off to the Durand’s steward, Thurstan stepped forward and held a hand out for Austin. ”Thank you for the opportunity to meet with you, I believe we have a great deal to discuss.”

@Austin Durand

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Austin had to give the man some credit; he did know how to dress rather well. While some may have viewed the cane as a statement of physical impairment, Austin couldn’t help but notice that it was of fine quality. It suited the man well, Austin concluded. It was not a fashion statement Austin would look to copy, however; he was perfectly content with his roguish look. Looking like a captain and a lord suited him just fine. Austin, like Thurstan, had no intention of being just another house lord that blended in the background.

“Lord Metcalfe,” he greeted in turn and took the man’s hand for a firm, but friendly shake. “Oh, yes. I think there is always something to discuss between the myriad of house lords in this land.” The idea seemed to amuse him for some reason, a smile coming almost brightly to his face. It made him look younger, but enthusiastic at the very least.

“Please, come and sit. Like I mentioned at the ball, I think we have a good opportunity to let sea and turf meet. After all, they work well together on the dinner plate, I don’t see why it can’t be the same between houses.”
    @Thurstan Metcalfe

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like most of the Lords in the land, the Durand’s age was not missed on Thurstan, now nor the first night. He was one of the odd sheep out now, though it did not seem to hinder his discussion with Lord Sheridan, why would it matter now? Thurstan held the man’s hand a moment longer before he released it, accepting the invitation to sit with a nod and smile. Celina had engrained the motion to his lips already it appeared.

”Indeed, I am learning that well here in Aston,” Thurstan replied with a chuckle at the dinner plate joke. Despite the fish he would catch from time to time, Aston was truly the first introduction to ‘surf and turf’, as the Durand called it. Catchy, for sure.

”And I hope it can.” He said, setting his cane against the offered chair. While taking his seat, Thurstan recalled Celina’s advice, her voice dancing melodically in his head. ” ...Direct and to the point works well. He respects honesty and when it comes to business, he does not feel the need to dance around points..”.

He looked to Austin, took a breath, and settled into his own with no hesitation. ”Let us get straight to it then. I have met with Lord Sheridan and he drives quite a bargain, though I am not sure … at any cost, I am still interested in supplying Balfour with the Metcalfe brand, once the ports open again, of course. That gives us plenty of time for discussion, wouldn’t you agree?”

@Austin Durand

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once Thurstan had settled into his seat, Austin did the same with his own and listened with interest to what the man to say. He was not surprised in the slightest o hear that Adam Sheridan had already made overtures. Indeed, the man had the home field advantage in securing a meeting with the man. Austin elected not to pry into the bargain that Sheridan offered and instead focused on his own.

“The greatest challenge in transporting your fine brand across the sea is preventing the spoilage, which means that your meat will have to be salted. That, I have to say, is quite unfortunate. Salted meat is quite useful for the long voyages of our crew, but it is never the same as a lovely fresh meal of beef on your plate.” And then he leaned forward, “But your wines? Your wines will only age across the waters. Everyone loves sampling a foreign vintage. If you can whet their tongues, then your coffers shall flow.”

@Thurstan Metcalfe

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thurstan couldn’t help but not in agreement to the prospect of salting his meat for transportation. It was what they did in the winter months to get by, it was not what would sell in a land that likely had their own supply of beef, even if it was of lesser quality. But at the prospect of shipping wine, Thurstan’s eyebrow rose briefly in interest before a small, hesitant smile crossed his lips.

”Now, that is something I had considered. In fact, out of good will, I sent a few barrels with the voyage that just left… enough to see the traveler’s there and a few to leave behind. The Metcalfe crest and name was burned onto the side in larger letters than normal, just to make the first impression that much grander.”

With a shake of his head, Thurstan considered the move for a moment longer before adding, ”This is a great deal of coin to be made in wine, especially good, un-mulled wine. And I cannot say that I have tasted wine from Balfour, though it would be foolish of me to consider that they do not have a form of their own. Everyone thrives on this nectar.”

@Austin Durand

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Austin smiled thinly as he continued to ponder the matter, “Though, I suppose there is another consideration to make here, but that would depend on how much you are willing to explore Balfour. I am more than certain that Balfour has its own heads of cattle, for I cannot imagine a place without beef,” he shuddered at such a sad thought! “But I wonder if it would do you any good to consider exploring their cattle fields and perhaps consider… a breeding relationship. The other possibility is selling entire heads of cattle for them to slaughter. We can modify the ships for the transport of livestock and they can handle the butchering on their own.”

It was something to consider, at least, and the he turned his attention back to the discussion of wine. What a wonderful combination that his man had going for his lands. A hand came up to stroke in thought. “Mm, yes, very good,” he replied to the opening statement before smiling at the second. A chuckle escaped him. “Perhaps we should have an international wine tasting, though we have to be careful that it doesn’t turn into a competition! Or perhaps it should.”

@Thurstan Metcalfe

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thurstan nodded at the Durand’s words, considering each option he gave as it was presented. ”Both are viable options. While I know my cattle, I know very little of how well they travel, especially across the sea. You are the master of that domain, would modifying your ships for such a journey even be possible? Months at sea in small holdings, with fodder that would be impossible to keep free from moisture and mold… the amount of cattle we would lose would outweigh the benefits of this undertaking, would it not?”

After a moment of silent contemplation, Thurstan motioned towards Austin’s desk. ”You are on the right path when it comes to the wine, I do see that being quite practical, without the added risk to your crew that my livestock would generate.” He cracked a smile at the mention of a contest and nodded with a shrug as if he were surrendering to the idea. ”A competition, indeed. That is an option that I would never have explored. Perhaps that is exactly what the people would need after the cure is administered. At any rate, Queen Nataliah might be our best contact, she would know best how we would proceed with this.”

@Austin Durand