User Tag List

Thread: One Step Forward then Two Steps Back. 10/19. Briarwatch Keep. Early Morning. Amelia/Evangeline/Lily (closed)

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One Step Forward then Two Steps Back. 10/19. Briarwatch Keep. Early Morning. Amelia/Evangeline/Lily (closed)

Three, long, unbearable days had gone by since she had first felt ill and Liliana Gyrtner now feared for the worst. She was now coughing violently and had coughed up quite a bit in the bucket next to her bed from her barely eaten dinner of soup and bread the previous night. Lily knew she was sick and she had a feeling deep down that it was the plague. This was much more serious than the common cold or the flu that could easily be spread. She felt dizzy even though she was lying down and she was sweating profusely even though she was wrapped in blankets feeling as if she was freezing.

"Help..." she managed to wheeze out before reaching a hand out to see if it could reach the nightstand that held her pitcher of water. She groaned in frustration and in pain when she could not reach it and she cried out in pain from the soreness in her neck. Her head was pounding and she felt as if she was slowly dying. She was not hungry nor thirsty and she knew this was really severe. As she touched the necklace that remained around her neck, it gave her strength to fight. She had to get home to her family and her beloved Lexington. Oh Lex, she thought, I hope you're alright. She missed him more than ever and he was constantly in her thoughts.

'Lily...' a voice was heard and she gasped glancing around the room. Close to the door, she saw a familiar person. Aspen was there...but he was dead.

"Aspen...my brother please...help me..." Lily begged as she removed all of her blankets and grabbed a hold of the side of the large canopy bed inside of the castle. He began speaking to her and she gasped as she slowly stood up before falling to the floor in a heap crawling over to him not being able to walk.

He murmured her name again and she whimpered as the tears fell down her face in sadness, "Aspen don't leave me." She cried out as she slowly made her way over to him and ran her hand slowly up to touch his outstretched hand. It felt empty and cold and she was only in her nightgown and robe, "Aspen no please." She begged him as she slowly tried to stand up, but fell backwards landing on her side from the illness. She was so weak.

'Lily you must fight this...I love you, but I must go. Goodbye Lil...' Aspen's voice rang in her ear as she gasped reaching for him again.

"No Aspen come back!" She cried as loud as she could slowly curling into a fetal position not hearing the door to her room open and people rushing over to her, "My brother he was here...please find him." She begged as she began to cough violently and shiver from the coldness.

@Amelia Baptiste

@Evangeline Baptiste
    Last edited by Liliana Gyrtner; 11-28-2014 at 04:41 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Lady Baptiste! Lady Baptiste!"

The voice rang through the hall, accompanied by the thudding of heavy, searching footsteps. Amelia, largely in her own world while she worked, heard the sound before she really realized what it was, and she registered some annoyance that someone was shouting so early in the morning. As she turned to make the racket cease, only then did she realize that the shouting seemed to be someone searching for her. Quickly she made her way across the room, wiping one hand on her apron so she could wrench the workshop door open. "What?!"

From a few doors down, the servant cringed at the sudden noise, but recovered quickly enough to hurry to the lady of the house and dip a cursory curtsey. "Apologies, my lady, but there's been an awful shouting coming from the room of one of the visiting ladies. Jane's gone in to check on her, but she asked that someone fetch you or Lady Evangeline as well."

That was all it took to send Amelia speeding down the hall toward the wing that they'd housed their guests in. Turning the corner she could hear Liliana's familiar voice calling out, but the sound of it made Amelia's fear worsen. There were a few servants lingering outside the door, clearly fearful of entering but perhaps waiting to see if they could help, and Amelia dispatched them very quickly. "One of you, go get Eva as quickly as you can. The rest of you need to prepare quarantine rooms. Two - no, make that three. Go, now!"

As they scattered, Amelia entered and closed the door, surprising the woman who crouched over Lily, looking panicked and sorry. "Her fever, my lady...she's been in a delirium."

Amelia could recognize the symptoms from what she'd seen all over the country, and if she'd had time she would have been kicking herself for not quarantining the girl when she'd first shown signs. "Help me get her back up into the bed." With some effort they lifted Lily back into bed, and as Amelia pulled the blankets over her shivering form, Jane went to stoke up the fire and put water on to boil.

There was little she could do to help the poor suffering girl until Evangeline arrived and, hopefully, brought with her some of the medicine they'd all been spending so much time on. In a soothing voice, Amelia spoke to Lily, trying to lull her into a state of rest rather than agitation. "Shh, my girl, everything will be alright." As she spoke, repeating the same comforting refrains, she motioned for Jane to fetch the basin and a cloth from the stand in the corner, and gently she began to wipe the sweat from Lily's face and neck.

"Lily, can you hear me?" The way the girl's eyes looked, Amelia wasn't sure if she was still trapped in the delirium that had taken her or not. "We'll get you sorted and feeling better as soon as we can, Lily."

----
    @Liliana Gyrtner

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lily could slowly hear her brother's voice fading away and yet she was too weak to even scream for him anymore.

"Aspen....please my brother help me!" She begged wheezing to herself as she felt a presence hold onto her. Through her blurry vision, she thought she saw Jane. The kind, friendly maid that had been so warm and welcoming to her ever since she had arrived. She didn't know for sure, all she knew was that she felt as if she was slowly dying. She began to shiver once again and shake from the coldness that she was feeling. Hearing more voices, one she thought was the Lady Amelia around her, she clung to the woman's arm.

"My brother...he was here, believe me my lady." Lily begged her before she slowly was being lifted up off the ground. Letting out a weak yelp of surprise, she clung to the closest person for support as she was laid down on the bed being covered again. Something cool was placed on her forehead as she felt her throat tightening. Gasping for air, she began coughing violently as she was rolled over to her side to ease the process. As she was finished, she was rolled over onto her backside again and she felt tears rolling down her face. She heard the same voice ask her if she could hear her and she turned her head to see the Lady Amelia there. Or was it Eva?

"I'm dying aren't I?" Lily asked softly before hearing her brother's voice again. Gasping loudly, she glanced around wildly clinging to the Lady Amelia's arm, "It's my brother my Lady. He's here, can't you hear him?!" She spoke confidently as she could pointing to where Aspen was before, "You do believe me don't you? Maybe he can save me." She suggested slurring her words a bit before she coughed again violently being pushed back onto the bed and Lily couldn't find the strength to fight anymore. A clammy hand went to her neck that held her necklace from Lexington and she whispered his name before closing her eyes.

@Amelia Baptiste

@Evangeline Baptiste

House Baptiste Evangeline Baptiste's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I'm dying aren't I?"

Those were the first words Evangeline heard when she entered the room, and immediately she cringed. Lily certainly sounded as if she were dying. Her voice was hoarse, words slurring together as though her lips were too weak to form the proper shapes. Amelia, sitting on the bed, was heard to tell Lily "No, of course not my dear," although in a voice too quiet for the girl to hear she added, "Not if I have any choice in the matter." As Lily spoke again, pointing in her direction, Eva stopped short. She was seeing Aspen? She didn't remember Tarran having had such clear hallucinations when he was ill...at least not when waking. The nightmares that had plagued her love when he was fighting for his life were something Eva would not forget easily, but perhaps this was a sign that Lily would be spared that particular horror.

Amelia's eyes locked with Eva's and communicated everything she had suspected: Lily had come down with the plague. How she had been overlooked during the innoculation process the household had gone through she wasn't sure, but the consequences were clear before her. Thankfully, having suspected such a thing might be the case when she'd been summoned in such a hurry by a thoroughly panicked servant, she had come prepared.

She moved with the efficiency of a well-practiced healer, dosing out the medicine from the vial she'd put in her apron pocket. Getting someone in Lily's state to drink anything was almost more difficult than dosing an unconscious patient, but it was vital to at least get some of the cure in her system as quickly as possible. Even if she required multiple doses, the sooner they could begin treatment the better the chance of Lily's survival. As she approached the bed, Amelia stood and moved away so that Eva could take her place, and the older woman went to see to Jane, who was by this point in quite a state of fear.

"Lily? Lily, if you can hear me, it's Eva." She spoke clearly, reaching out and putting a hand first on Lily's shoulder. "Lily, I'm going to lift your head and put a cup to your lips. If you can, I need you to drink for me, love. It will taste vile, but it will help you to feel better." Moving a strong hand to support Lily's head, she lifted her enough that she wouldn't choke, and little by little she tried to get her to drink some of the medicine.

Laying her back down, Eva set the cup aside and frowned. The necklace Lily always wore - given to her by Lexington just before she left for Balfour, as Eva had been told quite enthusiastically - was liable to be damaged if Lily were to keep having the fits she suffered now. With gentle hands, Eva unclasped it, admiring it as it lay in the palm of her hand, before she tucked it in her pocket. It would be safer kept in her own rooms; even though they trusted their staff to the last, with the sort of activity sick rooms saw, it would be too easy for the small piece of jewelry to get pushed from a table and lost. "I'll keep this safe for you," she promised Lily, although she wasn't sure the girl could hear or understand."

"Evangeline," Amelia said from behind her, quite quietly, "who's Aspen?"

Turning a little on the bed, Eva looked at her mother with a grim expression. "Aspen was her older brother. He died of the plague when it ravaged Tuneric." Amelia cringed, and Eva could tell she was thinking the same thing she had. It was not unheard of for a person, when on the verge of death, to see loved ones who had passed on before them, calling to them or giving comfort. Eva, like her mother, could not claim to believe in ghosts or spirits, but they'd seen this happen time and time again when sitting vigil with one leaving this world, and although they could not explain it, they couldn't deny the pattern, either. It did not bode well for their friend.

----
    @Liliana Gyrtner

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more time she spent glancing over at where Aspen was speaking to her, the more Lily was becoming to realize that he was not really there. But...she heard his voice. He was reassuring her and all she desperately wanted for him to hold her. She wanted to go home, but where was home? She wasn't back in Devonshire or even Hebron. She stared across the room and through her dizziness she recognized the Lady Amelia staring down at her concerned. She wasn't well, she knew this. It was too late to do anything about it now and all Lily wanted was to see her family again. She needed to fight and listen to whatever Eva and Amelia told her to do.

"I'm already here Lily. Stay strong and come back home." A voice spoke to her again and she gasped softly as she turned her head as Amelia rubbed her arm and another voice entered the room. It sounded like Eva yet Lily was not certain. The illness itself was hell on earth and she prayed that she would survive this somehow. As she coughed with the room not spinning around so much, Eva walked over to her and instructed her to drink something. She slowly nodded her head listening to the instructions as she felt herself being lifted up and she groaned in protest.

"It hurts." She moaned softly as the drink hit her lips and she coughed revolted by the taste. Eva was correct it was horrible enough that Lily was certain that she was going to get sick from it. She had to finish it, she knew how this worked and she took a deep breath while drinking the rest. When she was done, she pointed to the pitcher of water. As she was handed a glass of water, she glanced down at Evangeline her dear friend as she removed the necklace gently, "No not my necklace...Lex...oh my Lex I love you so." She said tears welling up in her eyes as she laid back down on the bed feeling for her necklace, her hands roaming around the bed for it. She missed Lexington so much trying to think of his smiling, reassuring face reminding her that she was going to experience a big adventure before she left.

She heard voices speak to one another and she reached out hearing Aspen's voice reassuring her. After all this time, the pain of her brother's death and the despair she, Nolana and her mother had gone through came flooding back to her and she fought back tears. And the one person who truly helped her besides her sister was gone as well and her neck felt bare without the reminder of him. She wanted Lex to tell him how much she loved him and how much she thought of him. A part of her wanted to give up this fight for it was consuming her, however, a bigger part told her to fight.

The urge to sleep overtook her and she pulled the blankets over her once more, "Eva please..." She trailed off as she waited for her friend reaching her hand out for her, "If I die...please write to my sister...and tell her that I am sorry...for failing her....and to Lex...and tell him I love him...I wanted to be his wife...bear his children and make him...happy. Tell him to be happy and to remember me...I can't now...please Eva promise me that you will. I'm so tired." She said softly holding her friend's hand tightly squeezing it gently before releasing it. Lily yawned while succumbing to her drowsiness as she closed her eyes.

@Evangeline Baptiste

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I know it hurts, but you need to be strong for me now, Lily. For me, and for Lana, and for Lex."

With the way Lily was acting, along with the lost look in her eyes, Evangeline wasn't enirely sure the girl even realized what was going on. She knew well the look of fever, had sat beside many a patient as they hallucinated and fought with their own mind as well as the pain. When Lily objected to the removal of her necklace, seemingly not having heard Eva's reassurances, it only served to prove that the girl wasn't in possession of her faculties.

Lily spoke again, and Eva helped to cover her as she shivered. "You won't die, Lily. I promise. But if it makes you happy to hear, then yes, I will write to them if something should happen to you."

"It seems to be kicking in," Amelia observed quietly, her voice low so as to not disturb Lily. Evangeline nodded, not turning to look at her mother, still holding her friend's hand as she slipped off to sleep. The medicine she'd been given would hopefully calm her, quieten her mind so that she could rest without dreaming. That alone would do wonders for her condition, and let the cure do its job with all the more efficiency. Lily would need further doses, but perhaps it would be possible to do it while she was less coherent, so that it went down easier.

"I gather you'll be staying here?" Evangeline nodded again, this time turning to face her mother slightly since Lily's eyes were closed. "I'm going to go get Jane set up, and when I'm finished I'll come check back in. And I'll have everything for a bath ready in your room for you." There wasn't much of a pause for confirmation before Amelia swept their poor compromised servant from the room, on her way to a few days of isolation to ensure both that she was not ill herself, and that she posed no risk of infecting others.

Now alone with her sick friend, Eva closed her eyes and silently spoke a prayer. She had utmost faith in their ability to heal her, of course; but a little help from the gods could never hurt. Later, when she was sure Lily was resting as well as she was able, she would get up and see to some things. But for now she would not leave Lily's side, her friend's cold hand held in her warm one, to monitor and comfort her as best she could.

----
    @Liliana Gyrtner

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the medicine slowly burned down her throat, Lily could easily tell that it was the right thing to do. She still shivered like crazy from the coldness however the wet, cold washcloth on her forehead that was being rotated every so often seemed to help with the fever. She still could not tell what was happening and every so often the words and voice coming from her brother slowly started diminishing from all around her. Letting out a moan as she was being shifted on her side as she coughed and then groaned again as she landed back onto her backside. Eva spoke gently to her and she slowly nodded her head before fighting the urge to sleep. Obviously the medicine was starting to make its way all through her body.

Letting out a yawn, Lily slowly gave her friend a smile, "Eva...thank..." She murmured before her eyes closed and her hand dropped to her side, her breathes steady and slow as she slept peacefully.

A tall, slender figure walked over to her through a light and Lily found herself gasping, "Lex?" She asked softly as she reached for him and then cried out for him when he seemed to slowly disappear from her sight, "No Lex no!" She screamed reaching for him. Was she dying? She did not know however she wanted him. He smiled at her once more and then suddenly began floating away from her back into the light.

Letting out a soft gasp and a slight jolt, Lily opened her eyes widely and glanced around the room. No one was there besides a tall, brunette woman who was sitting in a chair close to her bed.

"Eva?" She gasped softly before pointing to the pitcher of water on the nightstand next to her bed, "I just saw Lex...he wasn't here was he?" She asked softly before glancing around and then back at her friend before letting out a few more violent coughs.

@Evangeline Baptiste

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was not long before Lily was sleeping with as much peace as Evangeline expected she would find. Carefully she rose, moving with a silence that had become second nature to her after a life spent around the ill, and she crossed the room to wash her hands. How had Lily gotten this bad, this fast? The most likely reason was not the most comforting: that Lily had been hiding how poorly she'd been feeling for at least a few days. Of course, it was also possible that this sickness had just hit Lily harder than most. Those from Tuneric had overall shown resistance to the plague, but perhaps there were those who, for one reason or another, did not enjoy that level of immunity.

In any case, it was useless to think of that. What was important now was getting Lily out the other side of this illness alive and intact. To that end, she set about preparing the medicines she knew she'd need; her hands knew what to do without her mind's bidding at this point, but she remained attentive anyway. If nothing else, it kept her mind from replaying when she was doing this for Tarran. Perhaps if she kept busy, she could avoid the nightmares that sometimes still came to plague her.

She heard Lily shifting and returned to her side, pulling a chair close so she could sit near her without disturbing her. Her timing was good, for she hadn't even settled before Lily woke with a start, her eyes unfocused for a moment. Lily asked for water, which Eva took as a good sign - when others had been this ill, it had been a fight to keep them even remotely hydrated - and she poured a small amount into a cup as Lily spoke.

"No, no one's been here but me," she said gently, waiting for the coughing fit to subside before handing Lily the cup. Her hands hovered near, ready to help if Lily's strength faltered, and she took it back when Lily was through with it. "Do you want me to give you something so you can rest easier? You can't be sleeping well if you keep seeing things."

----
    @Liliana Gyrtner

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lily did not remember much of what happened before and during her slumber right before the image of Lexington disappearing from her vision caused her to wake up alarmed. Lexington, the love of her life, was not here. He was back in Tuneric, in Hebron and safe. He was far away from this contaminated room she was now quarantined in for the duration of her illness. She had to fight, she couldn't stay in one place for long. Her eyes slowly awoke from the small slumber she had experienced. Glancing at the clock through the blurred vision, she almost thought that one hour had passed. But she could be wrong. Right before Aspen died, he only slept for minutes at a time.

As she attempted to sit up, her lungs immediately protested and she felt as if she was about to get sick. She thought she felt the bile rising in her throat and she swiftly turned to the side attempting to keep herself on the bed as she coughed. When she was done, she slowly glanced up to find Eva glancing down at her while holding the cup of water. Lily with one hand slowly reached out for the cup, but with her hand shaking, she accepted the cup and slowly drank it all with her hand still shaking. Her throat was still sore and dry yet it was hard to swallow the cold liquid. She coughed once more as she gave the cup back to Eva and laid back on the bed clutching to the blankets.

Slowly nodding, "Thank you my friend," She whispered and then nodded, "Yes please..." She replied knowing that she needed to mostly sleep during this whole ordeal. As much as she was scared that she would never wake up and open her eyes, she knew from experience through her brother that sleep and the medicine were the only things she truly needed to survive. Of course she needed the people she loved and they were always in her thoughts however these next few days would be the most crucial. Suddenly she heard a voice that did not belong to her friend and she glanced around knowing that it was no one. She sighed again and laid her head back down.

She was going through hell right now and it was only beginning.

@Evangeline Baptiste

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing her friend in such a state made Evangeline's heart ache, but she had to take solace in the knowledge that she was doing all she could for her. There was no one with more knowledge of this disease than she, none with more experience dealing with it. It was always harder, though, when it was someone dear who was ailing.

"You must lie still," she said gently, laying a hand lightly on Lily's shoulder. "I'll get you something so you can sleep." She rose and moved over by the fire, reaching into her apron pockets and pulling out a few vials. When she'd been called this morning she'd grabbed a few things that she thought might prove useful, but she wished dearly she had access to their full supplies just now. Still, she had something that would work, and better yet, it was in a form that could be given without making Lily have to drink a whole glass of water again.

Returning to Lily's side, Eva slid her hand under her friend's head. "I need you to relax and don't try to lift yourself, alright? I'm going to just lift your head a little so I can put a drop of this on your tongue." She did as she'd explained, and then she set Lily back on the bed. Making sure she was sufficiently covered, Eva settled back onto her chair. "That will start working soon, Lily, and then you should be able to sleep." If this didn't work, Eva would need something stronger than what she had, but between what she'd already given her friend and this now, she couldn't imagine Lily staying awake for much longer, and hopefully the visions that haunted her would be banished for a time, as well.

----
    @Liliana Gyrtner

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lily coughed violently once more and groaned at the pain in her throat that was now throbbing since she had been coughing so much. She knew that this was probably going to get worse. She needed to do exactly what Eva and Amelia told her and she simply groaned in frustration weakly as she nodded her head acknowledging Eva's words. Taking comfort in the fact that she was in her friends' company who was the best Healer ever, Lily ran a tired, shaky hand over her face and tilted her head forward listening to Eva's words. She knew she had to sleep to get the medicine to work and get rested from this illness.

She easily accepted the potion that would make her sleepy and she laid back on the couch easily yawning from the exhaustion that she was dealing with head on, "I'm tired Eva..." She trailed off before closing her eyes accepting the sleep overtake her senses and she slept peacefully.

El fin