Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    House Farrand-Calhoun Tatianna Farrand-Calhoun's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long Time, No See! [ 09/26, Morning, Tatianna x Henry, Closed ]

Moorford continued a shell of itself in the weeks following the arrival of the cure from Tuneric. Tatianna felt at a loss, wandering the empty halls of the palace as she continued to struggle with the reality of Langston's betrayal, the near-death of King Cailen and the dangers to her sister. She felt more helpless than ever, unable to do anything for Nataliah and reluctant to impose upon Lochlan and Jacquelyn despite her growing affection for their son. Her nephew was an adorable baby, thriving finely thanks to his parents' swift precautions. She, however, was surprised that she was not a ghost yet, hardly tangible or solid but a spectre haunting the Estates.

Realizing how melodramatic she sounded in her own head, she laughed and compelled herself to go outside, taking in the autumn sun and the gardens that never failed to lift her spirits. Perhaps a bouquet for Jacquelyn or her mother was in order, something to brighten the day and sweeten the air. Tatianna reminded herself to be patient; Balfour had narrowly escaped a disastrous pandemic. Already, the kingdom was recovering, and surely there had to be something that she could do. She would have to approach Lochlan and ask where she could be the most help for their people.

In the meantime, Tatianna felt a twinge or two of loneliness. Her family were the dearest of people to her, yet she missed the friends she had made prior to her departure for Tuneric. Plucking one of the vine roses, she smiled wistfully down at it as she made her way to sit on one of the benches decorating the gardens. There, she gingerly picked one velvety petal at a time, letting them drift on the light breeze like a wish. Perhaps she would be lucky, and the wind would bring one of her wishes to life...

@Henry Baptiste

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "What is it that you wish for, Princess?"

He hadn't been in Moorford too long, a few hours at the most. His mother had sent him with preventive medicines for the King and his family. Henry's orders were clear, give the medicine and stay to assist if the reaction was a negative one. He'd side eyed his mother at her words but she worried as she was unsure of the Queen's allergies and honestly was speaking of precautions.

So he did as he asked and delivered the medicines. It was to be taken with a large meal so the dosage would not be too much. Lochlan's physicians agreed and suggested that supper would be the best time for the family to prepare their bodies to fight off any further illnesses that may come down the path. Henry decided to take a walk and Lochlan bid him a good day as he had to attend other business. There was probably much to do, he was opening their kingdom back up for trade after all.

That was when he found himself in the gardens, he always found himself in the gardens. It seemed as though his feet loved to be among plants. There he found the youngest Princess. Some called her the luckiest woman alive. He called her beautiful. But not to her face.

@Tatianna Farrand-Calhoun
    Last edited by Henry Baptiste; 04-15-2017 at 10:23 PM.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aware that the dose was forthcoming to keep further illness at bay, Tatianna was prepared to imbibe it for the sake of the infant Crown Prince as much as to preserve herself. The Farrand-Calhoun family had taken enough losses already without foolish, stubborn pride costing another life. She was not looking forward to it, of course, as medicine was scarcely ever pleasant, but if it meant the doors opened to life once more, then the youngest Princess welcomed it. The young Baptiste lord had arrived earlier, and would join them at dinner to keep watch over each member of the family as they consumed the medicine.

For now, she basked in the warmth of the autumn sunshine, toying with the petals as the wind slipped each one free from her fingers. They danced on the breeze, fluttering like pieces of ephemeral velvet. Tatianna was half-lost in her own thoughts when Henry came upon her, startling her into a gasp as she shifted to stare up at him with wide eyes. She hadn't heard him approach, thanks to her distraction, yet she recovered quickly. A blush started into her cheeks as she smiled weakly. "Oh, I do not know if I'm wishing for anything in particular, Lord Henry... peace, of course. Happiness for my family, and health for Balfour."

All that she said was no less than the truth; she did wish for those things, but the more personal wishes were kept to herself. Tatianna was certain they'd be dismissed as foolish or selfish. She'd been given the gift of life, spared the role of the Sacrifice and hailed as Princess. Luck was assuredly on her side, making her careful what she wished for. "How are you this afternoon? I hope you have been made comfortable."

@Henry Baptiste

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He bowed low to Tatianna as she responded to his question and held out his hand to take hers and kiss the back lightly. He had assumed she was making wishes as his sisters did when they were younger. Picking petals from flowers and hoping beyond hope that dreams would come true. It was a happy sentiment, to be sure, and he was glad she was finally able to do normal things.

In the back of his mind he realized he would only be in the Capitol for one more day, at the most, once the Royal family took their cure vials and all proved well Henry would be heading back home. He had trips scheduled, divided up with his father, to travel to different cities and make sure that others took the cure as well. First and foremost, the duty of House Baptiste was to save as many lives as they could. The Royal family came first.

"I am well, I thank you for asking. I fear I've been cooped up for too long, however, but fresh air and good conversation are successful therapy." He had a sneaking suspicion that the Princess was torn between desiring company and longing for solitude. He wondered how many people she had met since her time free of her confines.

"I hope you find yourself well on this afternoon?" Henry gave Tatianna a warm smile as he stood beside her bench. He hoped his intrusion wasn't a displeasing one.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Henry bowed to her, Tatianna's blush deepened until her fair cheeks were nearly as crimson as the rose petals haphazardly arrayed on the ground around her. Dipping her head slightly to hide it, she glanced up at him from beneath demurely lowered eyelashes, placing her small hand in his to be kissed.

His lips whispered over the back of it, causing it to tingle pleasantly. Never had she felt such strange but exciting sensations before, and she didn't know what to make of them. Perhaps she was just worried about how the cure would affect her. She had not forgotten how long it had taken to recover from the poison her sister had given her that had ultimately saved her life. The young princess did not relish the thought of a repeat performance.

The warmth in her face began to fade and she raised her eyes as he answered her question. Her smile was both shy and disarming. “I feel the same way. Gardens are soothing to one's soul. I often find myself drawn here to enjoy its beauty.” Its verdant glory was finest during the summer but Tatianna also loved the bright colors of autumn. Even in winter, when the branches were bare, it held an austere elegance that was equally appealing.

“I am fine, just a bit anxious about tonight.” Absently, she twirled the stem of the rose between her slender fingers. “The cure will not give us any ill effects, will it?”

@Henry Baptiste

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Straightening his back, Henry rooted himself upon the garden's path and folded his arms behind his back. Tatianna looked up at him from beneath her eyelashes, a light pink hue graced her delicate cheeks, and she fiddled with the rose she'd been picking petals from. Flirting with a girl was not something that Henry had ever been good at, he wasn't even skilled in talking normally with people he didn't find attractive! His sisters had always teased him, told him that a woman he fancied shouldn't be someone he behaved differently for and to just be himself.

Being himself was always the problem though. He wouldn't lie, he knew most people found him absurdly boring in conversations.

Henry shook his head to answer the Princess's question. "No, it shouldn't. Though some people have adverse reactions to the ingredients at times, that is why I'm staying, if you have any problems I will be here to assist the Royal Physicians." He realized that with that answer, he didn't do much in the way of calming her nerves so he scrambled to amend his statement. "Very few people have had a problem with it though! I'm sure you'll be fine."

Well, he wasn't sure if he were to be honest, but he was sure that he'd be there to rescue her if the worst was yet to come. He shifted his weight from one foot to the other and took in the cool afternoon air. His jacket was buttoned tight and he was thankful he wore an extra shirt. He'd never expected to stand out in the gardens to talk and he would have hated to cut the conversation short due to the chilly autumn air.

"If it is not too bold for me to ask, how has it been meeting the families? Have they received you well?" He was concerned of her stress level. It couldn't have been easy to come from the confines of the holy city to be plunked down in the middle of the noble families to be introduced into society. He was truly tempted to ask her if she had any suitors yet, however he knew better, and would never ask such a selfish question.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tatianna didn't know Henry well enough to have formed an opinion of him. In fact, this was the first time that she could remember speaking to him alone. Not that she was truly by herself. A guard was hovering nearby, close enough to come to her aid if necessary, but at a distance that gave her at least a semblance of privacy.

So far, she found Henry rather amiable, much like his sister Evangeline. He was also quite handsome, a notion that sent another hint of color rising beneath her porcelain cheeks. She often blushed in the presence of gentlemen. For so long, she had been locked away with nobody but the priestesses of the temple for company. It was understandable that she felt a bit shy around those of the male persuasion.

The stem of the rose jerked unintentionally in her hands at his answer to her question. Tatianna was not yet accomplished at hiding her emotions behind the graciousness that she was expected to show in all situations. It would be obvious that she was a bit disconcerted at the thought of experiencing any ill effects, but the thought that he would be there if anything happened was strangely comforting.

“I hope that we all come through it well.” Her shy smile returned. “I am certain that we have nothing to worry about and will be safe in your care.” She trusted Evangeline's skills implicitly and believed that her brother's knowledge of the healing arts were at least equal to hers. They would be fine and soon the plague would be eradicated completely.

Henry looked a bit awkward standing above her. Belatedly remembering her manners, she patted the cold stone surface of the bench she was sitting on. “Won't you sit down?” she asked.

His inquiry took her completely off-guard and her blue-violet eyes widened in surprise. Such a personal question. And yet, she wasn't offended by it at all. For a moment, she gazed at the scenery in thought, and then returned her attention to her companion. “Everyone has been very kind to me. I am trying my best to adapt to my new circumstances, but sometimes, it's a bit difficult. I hardly know what to do, how to act, what to say. I wasn't born for any of this ...”

Her voice trailed off and she sighed wryly. “Would you by any chance have tips on how to become more socially adept, my lord? I can use all the help I can get.”

@Henry Baptiste

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When she noted her hope, with a slight twitch to her hands, Henry inwardly frowned. He'd said the wrong thing, not truly abating her worry, and now he couldn't come back from it. As she acknowledged his skills, however, he gave her a gracious nod. "I thank you, Princess, for such confidence in my talents. I shall not let you down, of this I'm sure." He just hoped he wasn't giving himself more credit than was actually due.

Tatianna patted the stone surface of the bench and he, after a slight pause, knew to take the invitation. While he'd truly enjoy sitting with such a beautiful and noble woman, he was worried that now he'd have more of a chance to make a fool of himself. Just be yourself, ya silly fool, he'd heard it before and his mind would forever replay it. Making sure to not sit on the tail of his coat, he lowered himself onto the cold stone and smiled. "Thank you for the offer, Your Highness. I would be honored."

Her answer was honest, and as she spoke Henry found himself looking into her eyes. He wasn't sure what he read there, the woman before him was completely new to him. He found himself nodding, understanding, her plight. It was difficult, and a bit embarrassing, but he knew he had to be honest with her.

"I must tell you the truth, Princess. I am quite socially inept." He paused, rubbing his chin with his free hand as to provoke some wisdom he'd learned over the years. "I find myself, often being boring. I don't know how to talk to others as well as I can to my family. I find myself not having much in common with other Lords and Ladies. Some families have interesting stories to tell and I can always find my way through by asking questions. That seems to help! If you get them to talk about themselves, you see amiable and kind, also a good listener! But if they're boring, well it can't be helped." He gave a shrug before continuing. "I have to say, though our circumstances are completely different, I don't think I was born for it either."

He rubbed the back of his neck, all while he spoke he'd felt a blush grace his cheeks. "Navigating social situations has never been a strength of mine, but if I can help I would always be at your service."