User Tag List

Thread: Words From Home [11/2, Afternoon, Lily's room, Lily & Eva]

House Baptiste Evangeline Baptiste's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Words From Home [11/2, Afternoon, Lily's room, Lily & Eva]

Evangeline made her way to her friend's room - still under quarantine to most of the household - with a little more spring in her step than usual. There was a letter in her pocket that she knew would light up Lily's day, and she was keen to deliver it. She felt terrible for Lily; as if being as sick as she had been wasn't bad enough, she'd gone through that trial so far removed from her family and loved ones that they were likely only just now receiving word that she was sick in the first place. The delay in communication was a terrible thing in situations like this, but Eva hoped to pen another letter, perhaps even today, and see if Lily was well enough to sign it. Her friend had turned the corner and was on her way to recovery, but she knew that to her family back home, proof that she was well would go so much further than word from another.

Knocking on the door, Eva waited a moment and then entered. "Hey there," she said warmly, making her way to her friend's bedside. Someone had been in to tend to Lily earlier in the morning, and so at least for now this was a little bit more of a social call. Eva took her usual seat, and she reached out and took Lily's hand, her eyes assessing her friend's condition at a glance before she went on. "I have a surprise for you, but first, do you need anything?"

----

@Liliana Gyrtner

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two weeks had passed exactly from the day that Lily had been diagnosed with the plague and since then, Lily did her best to fight this horrible, tragic disease. It had been a long road to recovery, however, the evidence needed to give her good friend and her family a medal of honor for saving so many lives was clearly in front of her. Two weeks ago Lily couldn't stand up and walk around the room without seeing visions of her loved ones and over the period of those weeks, Lily had called out for Aspen, Nolana and Lexington, mostly for Lexington, according to Eva. They understood why though, the love of her life was back at home in Tuneric doing his duty serving the Princess Vivienne. Her heart ached for home, her family and for Lexington. Her heart had officially been placed in Lexington's hands and she would do anything to board the ship now and go back home. However she understood why that was not an option and why Captain Remington had decided to postpone their trip home for her so she could be completely healthy and not contaminate anyone else back home. She wold always be grateful for the tall, lanky, serious Captain who had captured her sister's heart and the Baptiste family.

She slowly made her way back to the bed taking it easy before laying back down and relaxing once again. She had just covered herself up with the blanket when she noticed the necklace from Lexington back on her table next to her bed. Smiling as she traced the heart with her finger, she heard a knock at the door and then Eva walked in giving her a smile and greeting her.

"Hi Eva, I'm fine for now. I just had a bit of porridge for breakfast and took a small walk around the room....what surprise?" Lily asked her friend as she raised an eyebrow.

@Evangeline Baptiste

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evangeline was somewhat surprised to hear that Lily had been up and about; with how ill she had been just days before, she hadn't thought her friend would be up to that sort of thing just yet. If Lily were a normal patient, this is when Eva would have scolded her, told her that she should be taking things slowly, resting properly, rebuilding her strength if she wanted to be back to normal quickly. But Lily was on the stubborn side, and determined to push her recovery at her own pace, and Eva knew that there wasn't much she could say or do to persuade her friend to adhere to any schedule but her own. Perhaps it had been the news that Captain Remington was delaying their departure for Lily's sake that was motivating her, but it seemed likelier to Eva that it was a certain knight waiting at home that was the real reason.

Still, she had to remind herself, as long as Lily wasn't doing herself any harm, it was alright. And her pace of recovery had meant that Eva had felt comfortable leaving her side to go participate in some of the festivities in the capital, so she could hardly complain.

"I might just have in my possession," she said with a knowing, teasing smile, "a letter for a certain Lady Liliana Gyrtner." She pulled the letter slowly from her pocket, building the suspense with a grin. "From...oh, let's see here" - she mimed moving the letter closer and further from her face, as if she was struggling to read the address - "from a 'Sir Lexington Caldoran'? You can't possibly know anyone by that name, can you? Misaddressed, my, my. Such a shame."

She grinned, and then offered the letter to her friend. "Are you well enough to read it yourself? Or if you don't mind the invasion, I could read it to you."

----
    @Liliana Gyrtner

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When Lily revealed that she was walking around, the look on Eva's face did not pass her. She was more stubborn and stronger than people realized and she always found that when people were surprised at her abilities as a woman and a fighter that she would fight even more to prove people wrong. She would take it easy though especially now that she had received word that Captain Remington was going to postpone the trip home for her. That proved to her that the man was nothing like he looked and that she would do whatever it took to make sure that she was going home sooner rather than later.

Eva walked into the room holding a letter in her hand and waving it around teasing Lily whose eyes had gone wide at the writer of the letter. Lex! Oh how much she missed her Lexington, the man that she loved more than anymore.

"Gimme." Lily replied reaching out her hand before coughing once more. Clearing her throat, she reached over and grabbed a drink of water from her goblet before resting back against her pillows. Laughing at Eva's words, "Oh I know it's such a same...and no you can read it to me. Lex is not the type to be inappropriate in a letter. I wonder if he knows that I was ill." She mused out loud patting the side of the bed gently so Eva could sit down and read her the letter. The more time she waited, the more Lily became impatient. She missed Lex more than anyone there and her heart longed to see him again soon.

@Evangeline Baptiste

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eva recognized the look on Lily's face, and without her own expression changing she inwardly cringed. It was easy to forget how strong the stubborn streak ran through her friend's personality, and she knew it was all too easy to take what she had meant as loving concern could be taken in a patronizing tone. She was tempted to try and head off any miscommunication here and now, but thus was the way of such situations snowballing. It was easier corrected, she decided, by simply showing Lily she had every confidence in her. The girl had made a miracle recovery, after all, and in a shorter time than many who had been as ill as she. That was certainly worth remembering.

Taking the letter from her friend, Eva made herself comfortable on the patch of available bed. "I wrote to Lana when you first fell ill, but with travel time...well, I suppose they're probably just finding out. We should write again now that you're better, before the waiting and the worry kills them both." It seemed safe to assume that Nolana would have shared the news with Lexington, after all. Unfolding the letter, her eyes scanned it quickly to gain some familiarity with his handwriting before she started reading.

"Alright, let's see here.
    My Dearest Lily,
    I hope this letter finds you well. With the time it will take for this letter to find its way into your hands I cannot predict what will be taking your time as you read it, but I hope whatever it is, you are enjoying yourself. Have you had any time to do any sight-seeing, or have things kept you hard at work? While I understand that the work you're helping with is very important, perhaps things will be well enough soon enough that you can be afforded leisure time. You deserve a wonderful adventure.

As for myself, I write to you from Heather's Moor. Some family business brought both myself and Larson here, and praised be to our King for allowing us the time to attend it. I will tell you of all of this in my next letter, or perhaps when you're home; it will no doubt be clearer for all involved with the passage of a little time. Rest assured though that there's no cause for you to worry. I and my kin are well, and I must confess that although it was business which brought me home, my heart is happier for the visit.

I feel as though I should be keeping you abreast of the goings on in your homeland, but it has been so long since you left I have a hard time focusing on much else. Let's see, I shall try to remember some things. The King and Queen are currently taking a leave from Hebron, and have gone to Day's Death on holiday. There are hopes that some time away will help the King heal faster, as well as do good for the Queen's pregnancy. Some of the staff has been worried that all the stress of the early months will have done some damage to the child she carries. I can hardly speak to it, but for the sake of all I hope that's not the case.

There was a gathering in Aston, with the Sheridans throwing a ball and a few days of festivities since they were unable to do their usual festival for Moreesa when it would otherwise be customary. I didn't attend, but Princess Vivienne did, and she came home beaming of a wonderful time. It was shortly after their return to Hebron that Larson and I made our way to Heather's Moor. It feels somewhat odd to have been assigned to things other than the protection of Princess Vivienne, but working by habit is never a good thing, so I am thankful for the change of pace.

I'm forgetting something and I know it, but I can't...ah! There's to be a wedding. I'm not sure how well you know either party involved, but Sir Xavier Fairfax and Lady Sophia MacHeath have announced their plans to wed. The Princess was excited, as she knows both of them fairly well, but I confess I never thought I'd live to see the day that Fairfax would marry. Domestic life was not something I had thought would sit comfortably with him, but people always have their ways of surprising you, don't they? I believe the wedding...well, it's within the next day or two, I think.

I'm sorry, but I must go for now. I'll try to write to you again soon, my love. There is never a moment when you're not on my mind, and I cannot wait until the moment when I can hold you in my arms once more.

With all my love,
    Lex
    "

Evangeline set the letter on her lap and couldn't keep the small smile from her lips. The knight's love for Lily was endearing, and while he didn't fill his letter with flowery words or heavy declarations, his affection was clear all the same.

---
    @Liliana Gyrtner

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running a hand over her face, Lily let out a soft yawn and then ran a hand over her scalp frowning when she felt how tangled and shaggy her hair was. Hopefully in a few days time, she would be able to get up and take a nice bath. She couldn't remember the last time she had one and she knew that once settled in the tub, she would be perfectly fine. Her strength and passion for living was coming back to her and she was more than ready to finish the treatments and not being active. Lily was always the type of person who could barely sit still for more than a couple minutes time. However this was a huge set back for her and she felt her legs and body being stiff and tight hence her walking around the room. More than anything this letter from home was going to give her another mental and physical push she needed to continue and complete the recovery process. The sooner the better, she told herself so she could continue her work and eventually make it back home to the loving arms of her sister and Lexington.

Eva took the letter from Lily's pale hand and opened it up carefully as she cleared her throat and began reciting the letter back to her. Lily smiled kindly as she relaxed more against the softness of the pillows before attempting to imagine Lexington speaking to her instead of Eva. She loved her friend, but she loved and longed for Lexington more than anyone. She missed her sister and wondered if she would be receiving word from her soon enough, but as for now, she listened to Lex describe what was happening back on Tuneric. She smiled at his descriptions, but raised an eyebrow when he wrote that he was back in Heather's Moor with Larson on family related business. She hoped all was well and that he would return soon enough for her return back home.

She smiled listening to his words as he wrapped up the letter declaring how much he longed to see her and she grinned like a fool as Eva finished the letter and folded it back up, "I did tell him to tell me everything and I'm so glad for the distraction. Oh how much I miss him...and Lana too...do you think you could help me with a reply letter? I agree so a fast reply would ease their worry and concerns. If not if I could just have some ink, a quill and parchment, I could do it myself." She commented with a smile.

"I hope you're not getting too sick of me not being able to assist you Eva. I so wish to get better and that you and your mother will allow me to help out a bit soon. I hate just sitting here being a burden....thank you so much for taking care of me. I don't know how I could ever repay you and your family."
    @Evangeline Baptiste
    Last edited by Liliana Gyrtner; 04-18-2015 at 04:40 PM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the look on Lily's face as she spoke of missing Lexington, Evangeline was more convinced than ever that her friend was living a storybook romance. He wrote to her with such a careful devotion, and she pined after him with the strength of a first true love. It was truly touching to see, and it only made Eva more determined to help Lily get better soon, so that the love birds could be reunited once more. "Of course, I'll have a lap desk brought in for you. And if you find your hand is still a bit too unsteady, I would be delighted to help."

She listened with a kind smile while Lily worried over being a burden, and she reached out and squeezed her friend's hand. "You don't have to thank us for anything, my dear. I feel terrible that you've had to go through all this in the first place, especially since you came here to help my people in such a selfless way. I'm just glad that you seem to be feeling better, and that you're so close to being back to your regular self again."

Leaning back on both arms, Eva couldn't help but smile, some amusement and also some pride in the expression. "It seems Mother didn't tell you!" She paused for a moment, drawing out the suspense. Most often Evangeline was the one to check on Lily every day, although Amelia did at least once or twice a week, but lately things had been a little different; not even a week ago, Amelia had been the one to see her for three or four days straight. In fact, today was the first day after that span that it was Eva to see her. "I'm surprised she didn't! I would have told you myself before it'd happened if I knew she would have kept you in the dark about it!"

Seeing the impatience on Lily's face, Eva got to the good bit. "When you get well again, recreation will be the only thing you'll have to catch up on. The King himself declared that the plague is on the verge of defeat, and there was just a festival of sorts at the capital to sort of...well, I suppose to get the country back up and running again. I was planning on staying here with you and making sure things were squared away, but Mother came back a few days ago and told me if I didn't get to Moorford she was going to have Henry come drag me there. I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to let you know what was going on before hand!"

She did truly feel bad; she hadn't mentioned the affair to Lily when the announcement had gone out because she hadn't wanted her to feel like anyone was missing the party because of her. Eva hadn't really been keen on going anyway, having had quite enough of royal gatherings from her time in Tuneric, but when her mother had come back and demanded she go make an appearance and hopefully enjoy herself, she'd given her very little time to do much other than pack and get on the road.

---
    @Liliana Gyrtner

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more she glanced over the words on the letter, the more she missed Lex. She already missed and thought about him all the time. She missed the way that he held in her arms the last night they were together. She missed his sweet, gentle kisses that showed as much affection and love that he could show at the time in a public place. She missed the way she felt so safe and warm in his arms as he hugged her or held her close to him. Honestly if this experience proved anything, it reminded her how much she wanted to be with him for the rest of her life. She always doubted it in her head and even out loud to her sister because she never thought she was good enough for him. However she knew she was being silly and once she returned back to Hebron, to Lexington, she would make it known to him that she was mistaken. Hopefully he would feel the same way, that he still wanted to be with her.

She smiled, "Thank you my friend. I would like that since I want to get a reply back to him so that he knows that I am feeling much better. I just hate that it takes so long for them to receive a letter in return." Lily replied softly before watching Eva take her hand in hers squeezing it gently. She smiled and repeated her friend's actions before listening carefully with a shrug of her shoulders, "I know we never planned this and that it wasn't anyone's fault however I still feel this way. I hope that before I depart that I will be allowed to help at one point. I'm so thankful for you, your mother and your family for everything."

Listening once more to her friend's experiences at the festival, the young red-head grinned, "I'm so glad you got to experience something so exciting! I hope you enjoyed yourself. I know you have been busy with taking care of myself, working for the cure, planning your wedding for your beloved Lord Hutchinson. You deserved to enjoy the festival and have a great time. Do not fret, I am happy for you. I just hope I can recover in time for your nupitals because I still wish to attend." She grinned running a hand through her hair that needed a brush before reaching over and taking a quick drink of her water.

"Have you heard anything from the Captain yet? I haven't heard from him since we arrived here." Lily asked curiously.

@Evangeline Baptiste

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasting no time, Evangeline got up and walked to the door, leaning out and calling to someone. A few words were exchanged, and then Eva returned to her friend's bedside, retaking her seat. "She'll bring you in some writing things in a bit so you can get a letter out to him. Even though it takes so long, I'm sure he'll be elated to hear from you. And I'm sure your sister would love to hear from you, too."

The mention of her wedding brought a smile to Evangeline's lips, and it also brought a though to mind she was tempted to share. She kept quiet for now, though; even though it directly related to Lily, she and her mother hadn't quite come to an agreement yet. "I'm sure you'll be fully well and strong again by then," Eva said confidently. "After all, you've been recovering by leaps and bounds since your fever finally broke."

Lily's question brought a momentary look of confusion to Eva's face. The Captain? Why would Lily be expecting to hear from Tarran? But then it hit her: she was talking about Captain Remington! "Oh! I haven't, no. Olivia - that's Tarran's sister - mentioned that he'd set off traveling fairly soon after you landed in Balfour, but he apparently hadn't had any particular destination in mind. I did write him a letter when I wrote to your sister about your illness, but I've no idea if it ever got to him."

It seemed troubling that nobody had seen or heard from him; Balfour was not as safe a place now as it once was, even though things were getting better each day. Eva supposed, though, that all they could do was wait for word from him. They could, however, stack the deck in their favor a bit. "I have something of a proposition for you, Lily, but I need you to be honest with me about whether you feel well enough for it. Would you like to hear it?"

----
    @Liliana Gyrtner