User Tag List

Thread: Engagement Dinner - 10/14, Evening, Tarreston - Carson/Isabelle [closed]

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Engagement Dinner - 10/14, Evening, Tarreston - Carson/Isabelle [closed]

For the first time in a long time, Kendrick was finding that the island was too quiet for his liking. It was as though nothing was going on. The lack of dispatches and general dearth of information was somewhat perturbing. In fact, he could use the respite from business as normal. The free time should allow for him to concentrate on finding his sister, or preparing for the events of the coronation in Hebron. But alas, the problem of the Hunter girl, and it always seemed to be about a Hunter girl, was plaguing him.

In fact, the whole point of entertaining the trollop had been to coax further ire from her cousin, but it seemed that either word of her abduction had not yet reached her family, or that Taia was simply uninterested. So now what was there to do, other than to up the ante. Something he was remiss to do, however he had never been married, and nobody is ever suspicious of a man who is only a widower once. If it came to the point where she would need to be dispatched, then so be it.

Having sent Paulson to summon the girl, with a new dress in hand for good measure, Carson waited patiently at the table in the great hall. He had allowed Isabelle time to convalesce, and had made good on providing small gifts to her as a means of appeasement, but they had not spoken much since the encounter in the mural room. Silently, he wondered if she had it painted over. He would have to make a point to ask her when she arrived.

Putting the finishing touches on his letters to Greenwood and Forsette, Kendrick set the quill and vial aside, reclining himself slightly and reaching for the chilled glass of peach wine in front of him.

@Isabelle Hunter

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isabelle had been miserable ever since that moment. She confined herself to her rooms, only rarely did she venture out, but kept well away from that hall. She had no idea what would happen with the mural, nor did she have the spirit to care. She stopped eating, or ate very little, much had to be forced on up the maids. She had tried to escape only once and almost killed herself in the process. She cared little for the gifts that were sent, until of course the puppy arrived. It brightened her a little and gave her a more sense of purpose and finally she began to eat more. She however had still lost a bit of weight and looked a little ill, which was covered up by the maids as best as they could.

She was curled up on her bed, playing with her new puppy which she had named Abercrombie, Abby for short, when Paulson came in with the new dress. Isabelle never paid much attention to the orders that were given to her, but it was mostly passed onto the maids and it was their job to convince her to oblige. Getting her dressed in the new dress was easy enough, but she was ignorant of the reason until the last minute. It had been at least two weeks since she had properly seen him, and despite knowing that she would have to see him again, the fear stuck. "No, I don't want to go, you can't make me!" "Stop acting like a spoiled child!" It took a further few minutes to convince her to move and in the end they had no choice but allow her to take the pup with her.

She clutched it tightly as she walked, holding it to her chest for comfort, yet still coming to the Great Hall she hesitated at the door. With her maids continuing to insist, she finally stepped inside and stood a fair distance away from the table, keeping close to the door as she trembled. The puppy sensed her fear and whined and she petted and shushed it, before finally chancing to look at him and stammered. "Y-you...sent f-for me, S-ser?" She managed out.
    Last edited by Isabelle Hunter; 05-31-2015 at 09:14 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bustle outside the door of the dining hall was nothing to be unexpected, and Carson did not let it bother him. He had paid the woman very little attention in the last ten days, and as such, he could understand her hesitation. "I did, Isabelle. Please," he said, motioning to the seat opposite of him. The servants were busy at work on dinner, but wine had already been set before him.

There were copies of documents laid out before him, and he began to turn them around to face the other chair. "The printers have been busy working up these invitations, and they are waiting patiently for your approval." He didn't acknowledge the little pug, whom he had no real objection to. Delia and Victoria both were known to keep the puppies about them when they were at Tarreston, and Carson, though he was not overly fond of the small dogs, had come to accept them and the breeder's fees they brought him.

Pausing, he picked up his glass of wine, and sipped at it lightly. The matter of the invitations were of no consequence to him. The notion of marriage was not repulsive, but nor was it quite the commitment for him that it was for most men. There was no need in his mind for a showy proposal,or anything of the ilk. Nor did he deign to ask for the woman's consent to the marriage. The entirety of the matter seemed to be a formality as far as Kendrick was concerned, and he didn't seem terribly concerned that the woman might object to his casual manner in regards to the issue.

@Isabelle Hunter

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isabelle glanced over her shoulder and watched the servants leave. It was no wonder she trembled, at being relatively left alone with him again. Hearing him speaking, she turned back to look at him and then at the closest chair to her. She stared at it for a good minute, before she took tiny steps forward and very slowly sat down. She was still too close to him for comfort and fidgeted as she sat the pup on her lap, petting it gently. Her eyes were downcast, avoiding having to look at him until he placed the documents in front of her.

At first she only glanced at them from the corner of her eyes, curious but believing they had nothing to do with her. Returning her full attention to the pup, Isabelle then paused as she caught the words he had used, 'her approval'. She blinked and looked up and peered closer to the documents as if she couldn't read them or understand what they were. Finally, she forced herself to look up at him with a quizzical look on her face. "Invitations?" She repeated softly. "Why do they need my approval? What are they for?"

She clutched her pup closer again, fearful of what these documents contained and fearful to reach out and bring them closer as her outstretched hand would surely be within his reach.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kendrick didn't seem perturbed by the question, which could have easily been answered had the woman just looked at the invitations. He merely paused and sipped again at his wine. "Technically," he said, smacking his lips, "They don't need your approval. I was being polite." Carson didn't bother to answer her question though. He had assumed she could read, and if for some reason he had erred in that judgement, he would need to rethink the idea of marriage. He didn't mind the notion of being married to a beautiful halfwit. But an illiterate halfwit was another matter all together.

Taking a moment to look at an unrelated document, the knight asked casually, "Are you hungry? I hear you have not been eating well. If the cooks are not fulfilling their duties to your liking, I can have them flogged." He wouldn't, but she didn't know that. She thought he was cruel, and perhaps he was. That was all that was required to make the lie believable.

Sitting back in the chair, Carson regarded the pug and thought for a moment about Cordelia. His sister always had her mutt with her in the same manner. There was still no news of her, and the knight was becoming concerned that he would have to prepare a funeral. If she was simply abducted, there would have been a ransom demand by now.
    @Isabelle Hunter

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being polite? She looked at him a little confused. Had he said it in humour? Was he trying to make a fool out of her? Well he had already done that. And she had not yet even tried to read what the documents that he placed before her had said, she hadn't entirely wanted to know. But the curiosity got the better of her finally and with one hand still holding her pup, her other reached out and slid the closest invitation to her. She peered over it, read it very slowly, the read it again. She frowned and looked up at him. "What is this? I don't really see this as funny." Her lips quivered, believing that he was adding this to torment her for he had ruined her and possibly any chances she had of finding a rightful marriage.

She opened her mouth and then closed it at his question as she pushed the invitation away from her, returning this hand to pet the little pup, the feel of its soft fur was soothing the girl. The girl who had been raped by the very man who sat across from her. "It's not the food." She said softly. "I just haven't felt that hungry." She didn't entirely want someone flogged because of her, but then no one here was doing anything to help her in her ordeal, nor attempt to send word to her cousin about her whereabouts or what had happened.

Believing that he was staring at her, her eyes were downcast, afraid to meet his eyes, as her hand continued the slow purposed movement of petting the little pup as it whined and snuggled into her for warmth. "Is...is that all, Ser?" She asked wondering what else he might have wanted to see her for.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carson took a bite from his plate. He wasn't overly hungry, but if he didn't need to chew, he wouldn't have the dozen seconds he would need to maintain his patience at the woman's density. "Your lack of amusement is appropriate, Lady Hunter. There is no attempt at humor being made. The invitations are intended to be functional, as well as tasteful and welcoming. I think the scribe did well enough," he added, knowing that he had already paid the man and had no desire to pay another.

Pausing, he looked at her quizzically. He knew what she meant of course, but that did not mean that he would acknowledge her completely rational mindset. "If you are unwell, then I need to send for a physician. I would not want you to be ill on the occasion of our wedding," he told her directly. He had already mailed one of the invitations of course. To her cousin, Taia. He was awaiting a response of outrage, but he was not entirely sure that the woman would respond. She had three options in his mind. First, a reply demanding that he desist. Second, another foolish attempt on his life. Or third, to ignore the matter completely, hoping it was a bluff.

Sipping at his wine, Carson did his best to look hurt at her request for a speedy departure. "If you feel the need to rest, then by all means," he said, a hint of sadness in his voice. I will ask your ladies for regular reports, and summon the doctors if you do not feel better soon, my love." Kendrick even went as far as to push his seat back, and rise in anticipation of her exit.

@Isabelle Hunter

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Her brows furrowed as she frowned ever further. None of this made sense to her. Was she dreaming. She reached over to the hand that held the pup with her free one and actually pinched herself. Much to her disappointment, she did not wake up. But perhaps she had simply had a nightmare of the event that happened days earlier? Her mind and thoughts within it was going round and round, she was in such a daze and she didn't know what was real and what was not. "Did Lord Hunter come by? When did you get his permission?" Had this been the plan all along that Hamilton had arranged a marriage of her without her realising? Had she coincidentally landed at her future husband's feet when she came out of the woods from being lost?

He mentioned a physician and she frowned again. "No it's just..." Perhaps she had a headache, was that it? "My head aches." She confessed, bringing her hand to her head. It was the truth after all, she was rather confused with all this and she didn't understand what was happening. "Are we really getting married? This isn't a dream?" She didn't know what to believe anymore.

And he had to make it worse by sounding sad and actually calling her 'my love'. She looked at him strangely and returned to her seat. "I think I need to sit down." And she sat, even putting the pup down on the floor, letting it run about and explore. "I don't understand any of this. Why? Why would you want to marry me?" Oh her head! She pressed her hands against her forehead, fingers massaging into her skin as she attempted to make sense of all this, any sense at all.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It concerned Carson for a moment, that perhaps his bride was too dumb to suffer. But then he reasoned that there was no sense in fretting over the matter, as he had no real intention of keeping his wedding vows anyway. It would be a marriage mostly in name, and even then, it would at least improve his social standing, if it did nothing to make him happy. Though he didn't discount the simple girl doing what she could to make the best of it. That part almost made him feel guilty. Almost.

"My valet is already in Huntstown, negotiating with Lord Hamilton," he said, a statement that was neither entirely true, nor entirely false. "I am sure he will be sending back his answer shortly, but I have no doubt he will find it a suitable match." And that was without speaking of the woman's spoiled maidenhood. He was a lesser lord, but Isabelle was a lesser Hunter. Hamilton had so many cousins that even Kendrick's meticulous knowledge of family trees was challenged by the man.

Sipping again at his wine, he nodded, then shook his head in succession. "We are," he said, immediately following with, "It is not." Beyond the two simple answers, he was not sure what to say. He allowed her to sit again and make further queries, which he thought on for only a moment. "Why would I not want to marry you? I would not have made love to you if that was not my intent. I am not a monster after all," he told her with a frown. It was a lie, and he was an actor. But there was some fun in the idea of letting Isabelle wonder if he were crazy, or if she was. While it was neither, how else would she explain away the situation and his answer.

@Isabelle Hunter
    Last edited by Carson Kendrick; 07-21-2015 at 07:41 PM.