User Tag List

Thread: This Place is a Circus - 11/13 afternoon, Fort Chesbrook Library [Marco/Evangeline]

House Mauritanni Marco Mauritanni's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Place is a Circus - 11/13 afternoon, Fort Chesbrook Library [Marco/Evangeline]

"I assure you, if there is one thing I am qualified to do, child, it is to announce my own presence," Marco told the girl who had picked up her skirts and was desperately trying to head off the older man on his way to the library. But despite his advancing years, the Mauritanni man was quite spry, and deftly outmaneuvered the woman.

With a frantic exasperation evident in her tone, the girl continued to beseech him. "Yes, I understand m'lord, but you see, Captain Hutchinson insisted that Lady Evangeline not be disturbed under any..."

The minstrel raised a hand to silence the servant, and plodded on. "Had Captain Hutchinson been of any use to me previously, I would not even be here. So if Captain Hutchinson wishes to object, then he might have acted in a manner that could have avoided this mess entirely." Their path had taken them past a guard who had been posted at the end of the corridor where the library was located in the old naval fort. As was his training, he ignored the servant and her guest for a moment, until he realized that the pair of them were headed to where Eva had been resting. The sudden shift and loud banging of his armor as he attempted to catch up reverberated through the old hall.

Before the attendant could get an arm on the contortionist however, Marco had reached for the knob and thrown the door to the library wide. "Lady Baptiste! I must speak with you," he announced loudly, even as the guardsman had finally managed to wrap an arm about his shoulders and began to drag him back. "Just a moment, my lady," he said to Eva as his heels were being slid back toward the hallway.

Rolling his eyes, Marco turned his head to look at the guardsman, even as he popped his shoulder from it's socket. As he slid through the man's arm and did a full layout back into the library, there was an audible pop as the limb relocated itself. "Sir, you would need a dozen sets of manacles and a trunk inside of a trunk to hold me. And I am too busy to wait for you to fetch them."

The guard looked helplessly at Eva, even as Marco had already began speaking to her. "Lady Baptiste, I implore you, we must do something about the Captain and my father. They have gone quite mad, and somebody is going to get themselves killed."

@Evangeline Baptiste

House Baptiste Evangeline Baptiste's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It had been a few days since Captain William and Lady Liliana had left, bringing the rest of the volunteers from Tuneric with them. Evangeline had been pleased for them, as she knew how wonderful it was to know you were finally on your way home after a long stay in a distant land, but perhaps selfishly she was still struggling with the space she now found in her days. The original plan had been for Lily to stay for the wedding, but it was Eva's own fault she hadn't anticipated that things would change. And how could she blame her friend for wanting to return to her loved ones and her homeland after such an ordeal as what she went through? Although circumstances had been quite different, she couldn't forget how keen she'd been to see the shores of Tuneric retreating into the distance, knowing that every league took her closer to her beloved Balfour. She could not imagine Lily felt much different.

To keep herself busy - and to keep from slowing the wedding preparations with her meddling - she'd taken to spending many hours in the library, committing her experience with the plagues to paper. Books she'd brought with her from her parents' library lay open around her and a glass and pitcher were pushed to one corner, long forgotten while the physician tried to unpick everything she could recall that might be helpful from her mind.

Her pen faltered the moment the clatter of armor was heard from the hall, and by the time the door was thrown open the procession had her full attention. She watched with a wry smile as the guard tried to restrain the contortionist, and almost felt she should applaud, for the scene reminded her of a few of the plays she'd seen. "Leave him, Henry, and please return to your post." Evangeline rose as the guard gave the Mauritanni man one last look of resentment, wiping her hands on a rag to rid them of the most recent ink-stains.

"Let me apologize for that unnecessary manhandling," the lady said with a bow of the head. "Please, join me, take a seat if you'd like," she gestured to another chair around the table she'd claimed as her work space, "and forgive my mess." Despite her words, Evangeline made no effort to close her books or tidy them away. It had taken her hours to get things so she could reference them easily, and she wasn't about to ruin that without good reason. "What is this about someone going to be killed?"

----
    @Marco Mauritanni

House Mauritanni Marco Mauritanni's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turning to watch the guardsman go, Marco gave him a theatrical bow of sarcasm, before turning back to the woman whom he had come to see. "Fine lad, that one," he said, being polite. His hands were wringing as he made his way towards the table where the woman had been writing, only to divert his path to the bottle of wine and glasses that sat on the end table. "Do you mind," he asked as he picked up the bottle and filled a glass, only to drink it down in a pair of gulps a second or two later. "I must apologize for the sudden interruption, it is beneath me on most days, I assure you."

Pulling one of the chairs out from the table, Marco sat and crossed his legs, apparently not concerned with the mess or the lack of decorum. "Of course," he told her. "I understand that you are very busy, and normally I would not intrude. It is just..."

The man looked somewhat unsure of himself as he mulled the case over in his head. "If you'll forgive me, Lady Baptiste, but Captain Hutchinson's indifference has caused quite a large amount of trouble, I fear." As a nervous habit, Marco pulled and twisted on each of his fingers in turn, causing two separate pops from each, as his old knuckles cracked at both joints. "You see, and how do I put this civilly...the man is almost too content. I understand naturally, being a man of the world myself, that when one falls in love with such a truly remarkable woman as yourself, and they are to be wed, that everything is looking up, and we are prone to have no cares, or even if we do, to ignore them outright. All well and good, and I don't begrudge him, you understand." Marco paused for a moment, seeing if he could tell that any of this was news to the woman who undoubtedly knew Tarran better than he did. "But, as a byproduct of this happy-go-lucky mentality, he has given my father no clear directive about the entertainment for your nuptials, and as such, Giuseppe has taken this to mean that he has carte blanche. And, with all due respect to my father, the man has delusions of grandeur, my lady. He has my sister training for The Flight of Vanness," he said in an exasperated tone. In fact, it had been his idea to put on the production. More of a passing idea, actually. But he had assumed that ropes and nets would be used, but he knew his father would not sully the family name with such precautions.

@Evangeline Baptiste

House Baptiste Evangeline Baptiste's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evangeline didn't say much as Marco settled, insofar as he could, across from her. A nod and a wave of her hand gave him permission to help himself to the wine, and she encouraged him along with a word or two and not a drop of impatience as he apologized for intruding. Her brow did furrow a bit when he spoke of her fiance's passive contribution to some danger she still wasn't quite clear on, but she let him say his piece largely without interruption or judgement.

His assertations on Tarran's character were largely true; her fiance was delightfully laid-back about most things, and was prone to assuming that things were going well until proven otherwise. He was also a man who let people get on with things if they knew what they were doing, so she could see him giving little input or direction into the Mauritanni's part of the wedding. After all, they knew better than he did what they could do in the space and time allotted, right?

"While any injury could hardly be met with an audience more qualified to deal with it, anything more than the usual peril should definitely be avoided. But The Flight of Vanness? You'll have to forgive my ignorance...what makes it so dangerous?" She wasn't sure what to picture, since she'd heard of plays and shows having all sorts of things that could go wrong.

----
    @Marco Mauritanni