User Tag List

Thread: In the Ever Growing Garden - 11/05, morning, Rose's Rooms - Jenner/Alina/Roselin

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the Ever Growing Garden - 11/05, morning, Rose's Rooms - Jenner/Alina/Roselin

As he turned the corner of the hall towards Roselin's new chambers, Jenner could confess to a little bit of fatigue. The arrival of the Sebring woman had made thing uncomfortable for him, and he was not used to being inconvenienced. But, since Alina knew that Rose was here, and Jenner knew that there was no chance that Alina would leave without seeing her, he had no wish to delay the inevitable. What, in the end, the servant might say to her former mistress was really none of his business, but Jenner could hardly afford to wager his neck on the matter by releasing either of them. So he would have to convince them both to stay. Or at least convince Rose, who he could in turn allow to convince Sebring.

Jenner entered the rooms without knocking, which was his prerogative throughout the castle, even though this was his first visit since Roselin had been moved to her knew quarters. He immediately came to a halt when he saw the interior, which he thought were awfully lavish, considering what he had understood her station to be. Silently, he wondered if Violet knew what Rose had done with the place.

The girl looked surprised to see him, but before she could raise any noise about the matter, he quickly cut her off. "Good morning, my dulcet darling! I am sure you are well," he continued, making note of the fresh flowers and abundance of furniture in the room. "I do hope I am not interrupting you," he said, even though he didn't care if he was. He hadn't bothered to look and see if she were busy, or even out of bed. "I have a gift for you," he told her with some hint of mischief in his voice. "Since you have been doing so well in your new role, I thought that I would do something nice for you. I hope you don't mind," he added.

Poppy was shortly behind him, bringing in breakfast for two. She herself seemed as confused as he was, since Rose was still technically one of them, and should be taking her breakfast with the rest of the girls, but she knew better than to question her master. She set the tray on the small round table by the door and gave Roselin a small smile as she curtsied to Jenner and backed out of the room.

Iris had knocked twice on the door to the guests chambers, and found no answer. Perhaps the woman was in a deep sleep. Perhaps she had escaped. Perhaps she was just ignoring her visitor. But rather than try a third time, the young woman looked at the guard and motioned for him to open it with the key. As he backed away and she stepped through, Iris noted the woman tangled in her throws and pillows, in what looked like it must have been an awfully fitful sleep. Moving to the side of the bed, Iris folded her hands behind her and cleared her throat lightly. Getting no response, the girl reached out and shook the lump of covers, until the pile began to moan, either in protest or in pain.

"Excuse me miss," the girl said with what was by most accounts, too much chipperness in her voice. "Lord Pavon has sent me to fetch you," she explained. "You are to have breakfast with Rose this morning, and neither Lord Jenner or Rose like to be kept waiting. Shall I fetch you a robe?" It was a rhetorical question, as Iris was already moving to the small closet and fetching a robe from it. She returned to the side of the bed and held it up, as though she were waiting for the still groggy woman to rise and step into it.

Iris was in no rush. As far as she knew, her breakfast was in the kitchens, where the cooks would keep it warm for her. There was an understanding among the girls that said that whoever was at Lord Jenner's disposal each morning would not be forgotten. Since Iris had attended to Alina the evening before, she had just been left outside the girl's rooms to see to her needs with the rising sun. Why Alina was having breakfast with Roselin, the girl couldn't say, but it didn't really matter to her one way or the other. "Miss," she said once more. "Miss, we really do need to hurry."

@Roselin Yarwood @Alina Sebring

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rose found it hard to believe this was real. Granted, she'd felt that way a lot since being imprisoned here, but now this felt like a dream within a nightmare. If she were a smarter girl she'd have been suspicious when she was granted a space of her own and a job that was less...unpleasant, and she had been, but only for a moment. The feeling had quickly been pushed aside by the sheer unbridled joy of having her own room again. She'd even managed to redo the furnishings a little, although she wasn't sure if Violet knew yet or not. Who could be angry with her, though? She may have sweet-talked her way into one of the store rooms, but it was the girl who'd unlocked it who was really at fault here. And if she'd decided one of the lessons she gave would be in the garden, she could hardly be blamed for picking some of the winter blooms that were so abundant. All she'd been doing was showing the girls the basics of flower arranging!

She had been sitting on her bed, daydreaming happily while in theory looking over some notes for the next lessons she wanted to give, when the door opened and shocked her back into the here and now. Half expecting it to be Violet, she made ready to defend herself against any accusations that she'd overstepped her new freedoms, but it seemed to be unnecessary, as it was Jenner who waltzed in. Gestured into silence, Rose simply nodded as he spoke to indicate that yes, she was well, and no, he wasn't interrupting, but she was a little taken aback when he said he had a present for her. Scrambling off of the bed, she smoothed her dress and remembered to curtsy. "Why thank you, my lord." If they were on equal footing she would have spouted some nonsense about how he didn't have to give her a present, since this was clearly enough, but of course she didn't mind; however, doing so now she risked him taking her at her word, so she kept it at that.

Breakfast, assuming it was the gift, was lovely as it meant she could skip the communal breakfast that had been her constant. It wasn't that she didn't like eating the same simple stuff, day in and day out, but she missed feeling special. This was definitely a delightful change of pace. "Oooh, thank you Lord Pavon, this looks wonderful!" In a move that she hoped looked smoother than it felt she lifted the tray from the table by the door and moved it to the larger one she'd had put by the window. "This will do nicely...the sun isn't too bright yet, and I've thought this would be a lovely place to eat but I haven't gotten to try it yet." With a flourish Rose pulled out one of the chairs for her master, happier to act as a serving girl if she could pretend that it was just that - an act. "After you, my lord."

----
    @Jenner Pavon

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering the fact that the door was locked from the outside, Alina didn’t feel any need to react to the knock even though she’d been awake to hear it. It wasn’t like she could have opened the door anyway. Sleep had not really graced her the night before, despite the exhaustion that plagued her body. Her mind was still on high alert due to the events of the night before. Thus she kept wandering in and out of consciousness all night, jolting to full wakefulness with every creak of the old castle. Maybe if she ignored whoever it was that was knocking, they would assume she was sleeping and leave her alone. That was all she wanted right now: to be left alone.

This did not seem to be a place where Alina had any sort of luck at all. She heard the key enter the lock, and soon enough there were footsteps inside her room. Not the confident thuds created by the boots of Lord Pavon or one of the soldiers. This must be one of the servant girls. Yep, the gentle shake and the quick follow-up statement confirmed her suspicions. Even the most chipper of voices could not prevent the sinking feeling in Alina’s stomach at the idea of seeing Lord Pavon again so soon. Was being reunited with Lady Roselin worth that cost? If the answer was no, she may as well run for her life now and try to flee the castle. Or jump out one of the windows.

Self-ultimatum extended, she slowly pulled herself out of bed. Roselin may not like to be kept waiting, but Alina knew she would tolerate it under the circumstances. As for what Lord Pavon would think, well… “If Lord Pavon intended me to be ready at this hour, it would have been courteous for him to have informed me ahead of time so I could make myself presentable.” It fouled her already none-too-gracious mood that he expected her to just jump up whenever he called for her with no forewarning, but hopefully none of that would come across to this woman. She kept her tone polite, but a little more reserved than usual. Despite the woman’s insistence that they needed to hurry, Alina took the time to comb her hair in the mirror. It looked quite disheveled from the restless night she had, but she already barely looked like herself from the toll of weeks of travel so fixing her hair alone could only help so much. Oh well.

@Jenner Pavon

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was perfectly clear now to Jenner that he might have been wise to spend more time with Roselin. As it were, she was still a nearly perfect stranger, and the man could hardly tell if the woman was being sincere or putting on an act. Her movements did seem practiced though, which led him to believe that she was at least adapting to her knew life in Lawnbury. The original fire that had been in her when she came to his home seemed to either be gone, or artfully subdued, as though she might simply be biding her time. Perhaps he was making a mistake by reintroducing her to an element of her life from before she had arrived. But given the events since Alina's arrival, it was a risk he was going to have to take.

"Roselin," he said, before correcting himself. "Rose," he said with a smile, moving to put a hand on her shoulder as she held the chair for him. "Violet has informed me of your progress, and I want you to know that your hard work has not gone unnoticed. And I'm hopeful that your very important tasks are fulfilling for you, because when we come to enjoy our work, then we all share in the benefits of our being productive. I believe your successes recently have had a strong effect on the other girls, and I want you to continue to succeed. Do you understand?" He wanted her to feel important. Mari would chastise him for inflating her ego, but he could allow her to take corrective measures, once Sebring had fallen into line.

Looking at the chair, he smiled. "Thank you, Rose. But the second plate is not for me. I have other business. However, since you've been working so hard, I have allowed a visitor to come and see you. You must understand though, my love, that this is highly unorthodox, and I don't want the other girls to think that you are being shown any favor. So, for as long as your guest is here, we must keep up the appearance that she is joining us as one of your sister servants, do you think we can manage that? Or, if you can persuade her, perhaps she would stay with us. I think it would be nice for you to have a friend who makes you comfortable here, so that you can more easily focus on your important work."

@Roselin Yarwood

************************************************** ************************************************** ***

Iris, had she been Poppy or Camellia might have gasped at the insolence of the words, but she was no novice. Instead, she only smiled and nodded her head. "Of course, miss," she said, bowing her head. She was an old hand, at least by the standards of the Nest, and she knew too well why and how Alina had come to her point of annoyance, but she also knew better than their guest how this path came to an end. Normally, it wouldn't be Iris' place to offer any kind of advice or encouragement to another girl. That was the realm of Violet, to decide who needed comfort and how to administer it. Neither Violet nor Jenner had much appreciation for weakness, and so they tended to keep their tone stiff when dealing with the girls. And they frowned upon any of their number speaking out of turn. But Iris couldn't help but wonder if it wouldn't help just a little.

Moving to the wash basin as Alina pulled the comb through her hair, Iris tipped the pitcher toward the bowl and allowed some of the water to fall out. "Your instruction from the previous night not withstanding, miss, perhaps you'd allow me," she said, holding her hand aloft for the comb. "Clearly, you have come a long way to join us here, intent on seeing Rose. I have great admiration for your loyalty and determination. If nothing else, I would be remiss to let you fulfill your mission without looking your best." Which was something Iris had some experience with. She was a seamstress and groomer, and was in charge of keeping the girls of the Nest well fit in their uniforms and cutting their hair. Jenner insisted that all of the girls have their hair off their faces, so that he could see them clearly.

If Alina was in no rush, then there was no point in Iris pressing the matter. Even as she awaited the comb, there was no impatience on her face. Alina, in Iris' mind, had good reason to be annoyed and suspicious, and so she was doing her best to be reassuring. "I know that you aren't looking for a friend. I know you didn't ask for one. And I am not necessarily offering. While I know you might not understand how things work here, I do know that you are a sister servant. I am sure that you understand the importance of doing a good job and taking pride in your work. Even if you do not like him, I still wish to please my lord," Iris told her, attempting to appeal to their shared nature. "He would be displeased if I presented you to your lady without looking proper."

Iris probably wasn't supposed to know what she knew. It was not her place to question her lord, or to gossip in his house. But she was as quick as she was dedicated, and somethings could not be unseen or unknown. Despite her words, he hand had not budged as it awaited the comb. "Please," she echoed the request, offering Alina a pair of soft and sympathetic eyes.

@Alina Sebring

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although she distrusted him, Roselin couldn't help but puff up at Jenner's words. It had been so long since she'd felt valuable; the currency of worth here wasn't at all what she was used to trading in, and she'd been stuck in a situation where she was at the bottom of the ladder for too long. Now she finally had work that she was good at, that wasn't dirty or smelly or wet, and her talents had begun to shine through and be recognized. It was a good first step in making this place tolerable, and not having to worry about keeping up and fitting in gave her more time to develop other ways of making the most of the life she found herself in.

"Yes, Lord Jenner. I'm pleased and thankful to finally be contributing to the success of the house." She didn't necessarily realize she'd used his own words in acknowledging what he'd said, but she felt her response was appropriately submissive enough. In a strange way, now that she was less miserable, it was like her mind was turning her situation into a game. Someone on the outside taking stock of her situation would say it was a coping mechanism, but she didn't recognize it as such; it just felt better to see how well she could act like a servant, rather than believing she actually was one.

"Someone knows where I am?" It was probably not the best option for a response, but it was out of her mouth before she could have stopped it. If someone knew where she was, did that mean there was possible hope for a rescue? But who on earth could he be talking about? Her whole family - probably the whole Yarwood household, even - had died in the plague. He couldn't mean her royal cousins, or he wouldn't have suggested trying to get them to stay. Who did that leave? Who would be dedicated enough to her to track her down, but not have any power to free her from her situation? "I mean, yes, I understand. I'll do my best." She was worried if she didn't agree to his terms that Jenner would decide she couldn't see her visitor, and now that she knew someone was here for her she couldn't live with not knowing who it was.

----
    @Jenner Pavon @Alina Sebring