User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Returning to the Scene of the Crime - 11/10, Late Evening, Dawn Barracks - Percy/Pippa

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Percival had lost the conversation between the girls from the moment he had spotted his father, and didn't pay much attention to the comment at Xavier's expense. He could always ask Pippa about it later. When she stood and asked about the child, he was out of his chair as well, reaching for the sword leaning against it. "We'll find her," he assured the older man, who was frowning at the guardswoman's response.

Pointing a finger in the princess' direction, Corran shook his head. "No, you'll stay," he said, making it clear that he wasn't to leave his charge, even if it meant finding Pippa's. He didn't seem upset to find them together, or even that Vivienne was far from the safety of the castle. But Percy soon found that he didn't suspect that the matter was as urgent as the older man had first made it.

There was a strange noise from behind the man...like someone had been trying to hold their breath and suddenly let it escape through pursed lips. Or perhaps, someone was stifling a laugh. Percy went to look past his father, but noticed that the older version of himself couldn't stop the corner's of his mouth from turning up in a smile. He could immediately feel the blood rising in his face as his father turned and backhanded Somers across the shoulder.

The old knight was now laughing, and shoved the minstrel a pace or two back toward the door. "You ruin everything," he sighed. "I thought you had training as an actor," he said, admonishing the boy who was now pointing at the look on Pippa's face and chuckling. Corran turned back and shook his head. "You kids try to have some fun," he said to them before giving Vivienne a short bow.

The man grabbed a tankard of ale from a servant's tray and moved in the direction of Augustus, who was looking on curiously, but didn't betray any knowledge of the matter. As the older men dissolved into conversation, Percy looked at Jesse with a little bit of anger in his eyes. Motioning towards Pippa with his eyes, he threatened the minstrel half-heartedly. "If she doesn't kill you with her bare hands, I still have this sword," he warned him.

The minstrel however, was still too amused to take the matter seriously. "You should have seen yourself. If Percy was sitting next to you, you might have broken his wrist you jumped up so quick," he told her as he sat down and grabbed the mug he had left there when he had gone to the door. Percy was looking at Pippa and taking a deep breath to calm his own nerves, before he looked at Vivienne pleadingly, hoping the princess would at least admonish the spoony bard for picking on their guest.

@Philippa Avery
    Last edited by Percival Torgood; Yesterday at 12:07 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pippa, while being ready, was refraining from panicking. In her mind, panic didn't help anyone, and recklessness could cause more problems than it solved; she was much more the sort to keep her head until the problem was fixed and then let all of the emotional reaction hit her at once when it was safe. But already her mind was running at full speed, trying to calculate how fast the girl could move through the city, and where she might've headed.

The sound behind Corran didn't immediately release Pippa from her readiness, but the softening of Corran's eyes as he fought against the smile did. It still took a moment for it to sink in that everything was fine, but while it did, Pippa's cheeks were reddening just like Percy's. The color deepened when she saw that Jesse was actually pointing and laughing at her, which didn't help matters at all, and she only managed a nod at her boss as he departed.

Feeling both relief and embarrassment, Pippa started chuckling as Percy threatened the bard, and she shook her head, holding her hands up to show she had no ill intent. Still, she put her hands deliberately down on the surface of the table before she took her seat, and she took a deep breath and tried to take the further ribbing she was getting with good grace.

Vivienne, though, was not nearly as amused as her beau, and she looked at the newcomer with concern. When she caught Percy's eye she gave a tiny nod, and she fixed Jesse with a Look. "Enough," she said, her tone still soft, but firm. If he'd been in real trouble, she would have used the voice that was normally reserved for when she was Royally displeased. "It was a good joke, but you can stop harping on her now. I think it speaks well of her that she didn't hesitate to rise to action." From the princess's other side, Sophia slid Pippa a fresh drink, and the guard gave her a grateful smile. Sophia, for her part, had found the whole thing quite funny, and while she didn't necessarily think Jesse had gone too far yet, she didn't pipe up and contradict the princess.

"It's fine," Pippa said, and she was glad when her voice sounded as easy and relaxed as she'd hoped it would. "It's not often Corran jokes like that, but now I get to figure out how to get him back." She took a drink, and then fixed Jesse with an unsettling smile. "You, too." Of course she didn't genuinely think she was going to be around long enough to get any real revenge on the bard, but they didn't know her well enough to know for sure that she was kidding. Whatever intimidation the cute blonde had mustered, though, quickly faltered as she fell to chuckling again, shaking her head at the absurdity of what had just happened and taking another drink.

----
    @Percival Torgood
    Last edited by Philippa Avery; Yesterday at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Percy seemed to relax a little bit when it was clear that Pippa was alright. He wasn't sure what compelled him to get as defensive as he had, considering she was known to carry a weapon that was larger than both of his combined. But the worse the ribbing got the more he felt a pang of guilt that he was responsible for putting her feet to the fire. After all, she was due to return to Eddleton soon, and he wasn't sure this was the way that he wanted her to go, with the impression that he and his friends were ruthless to outsiders.

Jesse seemed sufficiently contrite after Vivienne had spoken to him, and he looked at Pippa and frowned. "It was his idea," he said, pointing at Corran innocently. Percival wasn't sure he believed that story however, since it would have been entirely unlikely that his father had found them immediately without the bard's direction. It wasn't hard to believe that his father would come to investigate the gathering, if the physician or one of his other friends had alerted him to it, but he clearly knew that Pippa was here before he ascended the steps, and that fact was clearly hanging over Jesse's head.

Percival wasn't having it however, and he glared at his friend over the top of his mug. "She's a little girl," he warned the minstrel, and his face was stony. "And she's a Kendrick. If you think my father is dangerous, you don't want your jest turning into a rumor that Victoria's father might hear." Percival didn't know Carson personally, but he had heard enough to know that he was more than Jesse could handle on his own. If the Knights of Shade wanted Somers, even Vivienne wasn't likely to protect him.

"Alright, alright," Jesse said finally. "I'm sorry Pippa. I will try to keep my pranks more innocent in the future, if you promise you don't hate me." Percy didn't think she would. At the end of the day, Torgood thought that his friend while sometimes misguided, was genuinely a caring person. He wouldn't have landed the princess if there was any chance that he wasn't.

Turning to look at Vivienne, Percival smiled warmly. "Your grace," he said, even though he knew she would not appreciate it given the fact that she had come on an unofficial capacity. "We're very glad you could join us tonight, even though this is probably nothing compared to the party you'll be having tomorrow." He glanced at Pippa and gave her a raise of his eyebrows mischievously. "Unfortunately, I don't think dear Pippa has gotten an invitation, and I think that she would be very glad to be there and support you." It was not his place, and in any other atmosphere, it would have been a terrible breach of protocol. But Percy was sure that the princess would see that he was hopeful for as many chances to see Pippa before she left the capital. "And I have no doubt that Ser Fairfax would be remiss if he didn't have the chance to dance with the newest eligible bachelorette in Hebron." The knight gave Sophia a grin to show that he was only teasing, though he wasn't even sure himself that he was.

@Philippa Avery
    Last edited by Percival Torgood; Yesterday at 09:14 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pippa hadn't said anything at the time, but she didn't believe for a minute that it was entirely Corran's fault. She was still more than a little surprised that her boss had used Vicky as the vehicle for the joke, too; her safety was never something he messed around with, but she supposed that was why it was such a good prank. There was no way she would have ever thought to doubt him. But, as ready as she'd been to let the whole thing slide, Percy wasn't about to let it go, and he said many of the things Pippa herself had been thinking. Jesse's apology seemed reluctant, but genuine, and Pippa smiled easily. "You're forgiven, and I promise I don't hate you." She may've been parroting his words back at him, but her tone was one of slightly bemused sincerity.

The guard had wanted to catch Percy's eye, to silently thank him for both standing up for her and for jumping up, ready to help. It seemed that Xavier wasn't wrong when he'd said the Sword of Summer was the first to action. But Percival had turned to Vivienne, and the princess was currently giving him a sour look for once again using a proper title for her. She also looked more weary than excited about the prospect of the next day's festivities, but she followed the look Percy shot the guard and seemed to perk up.

Vivienne did, in fact, follow Percy's train of thought, and she managed to keep her delight at the prospect of helping play matchmaker subdued. "Well, we'll certainly have to rectify that oversight." Vivienne looked to Pippa and winked. "Just excuse me for one minute, and we'll have this sorted out." With that the princess rose from her seat and made her way over to Corran and Augustus, with both looking back over to the table at one point. An agreement seeming to have been made, Vivienne returned to her friends and sat back down triumphantly. "There, that's settled. Corran has no problem with you attending both events tomorrow, Pippa, and I for one will be very happy to have you there."

And that, it seemed, was that. "It will be an honor to attend," Pippa said, and she was a little surprised at how much she meant it. Of course, she was utterly unprepared - she had no dress appropriate for either a royal coronation or a ball, nobody to do her hair, nothing - but how could she say no?

Perhaps sensing Pippa's dilemma, Sophia shot Vivienne a look - which elicited a grin from the princess - and leaned to catch Pippa's eye. "Pippa, would you like to get ready for the Coronation and the Ball with me? Xavier's got to work both events, so I'll be on my own, and it'd be fun to get ready with a friend. I'm sure I've got something in my closets that would work for you, if you need."

Genuinely pleased, Pippa nodded. "That would be amazing...I wasn't counting on attending anything fancy, so I'm a little unprepared." Little did she know that while they were getting made up and dressed, Sophia would be taking full advantage of the opportunity to ask lots of questions and find out more about her; the thought might occur to Pippa later, but for now she was just too grateful that she'd been saved. "I have to warn you in advance, though," Pippa said, with a glance over to Xavier, "me and dancing? We're not friends."

----
    @Percival Torgood

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Confident that Jesse had learned his lesson, Percival let the matter drop. He was far more interested in the interaction with Pippa and the girls, and he watched with pique interest as the plans for the following day unfolded. For all he knew, there was a chance that once the woman left for Eddleton, he might never see her again. It wasn't exactly as though either of them were librarians. They did dangerous work, and unfortunately they did it on opposite ends of the island. If this was the only opportunity that Pippa would have to attend a royal party, and a coronation ball at that, then he was glad that he could help to bring that experience to her. And, if they did manage to see each other again, this was hardly a bad building block to have in their friendship.

"You may want to begin smoothing over that relationship," the Sword of Summer told his date with a smile. "Xavier Fairfax isn't in the habit of having eligible ladies tell him no," he said before attempting to hide his face behind his tankard of ale. At the same time, Percy pulled his legs well away from any point beneath the table which might be in Sophia's reach.

Xavier though had begun to recover from his earlier moodiness and looked at Pippa warmly. Shaking his head as he lifted his own mug again, the man explained to Avery, "That's only true by half, my lady." As he was about to sip, he said quite audibly into the half full vessel, "I'm not in the habit of having ineligible ladies tell me no either." Wearing an innocent expression that stated subtly that he didn't expect that anyone heard him, even though he knew they all did, Xavier set his mug down and looked back to Pippa, still smiling. "But, perhaps if you are genuinely opposed to the dance floor, we shall play checkers instead."

Percy rolled his eyes at the return of Prince Charming, but he didn't let it bother him. Instead he turned to Vivienne and nodded a thanks in her direction. Then he set his eyes back on Pippa. "Well, aren't you quite the up and comer in high society," he asked with a smile. "I would offer to join you, but sadly tomorrow is my first day at work with a new boss, and I have to show up on time and try to make a good impression. Though I am sure that at least one little girl will be glad to keep you company." Kendrick and Corran would no doubt be in attendance at both events, and he couldn't help be think that little Vicky would be happy for Pippa to be there, if the relationship he saw that morning was any indication.

The knight looked at Vivienne again and smiled. "But, perhaps if the new boss lets me have a quarter hour break or so, I might be able to see you and not dance," he offered innocently. "That is if Lady MacHeath hasn't lined you up with all of the other dashing young men who will no doubt be there and wondering who the beautiful stranger they've never seen at court was," he added.

The bard snorted and coughed and set down his mug, sucking air to try and quickly recover and keep his face from turning the color of beets. "Swaren's uvula, Torgood," he cursed as he fished a coin from his pocket and slid it in the knight's direction. Not bothering to see if Percival picked it up, he instead turned to Pippa, now that he had finished with his fit. "Xavier and I will work on him for you Pippa. We'd hate to see you get all cleaned up tomorrow just to be crushed by the runaway cart that is Percival Torgood's charm," he said before pointing at Fairfax. "He was lying, by the way. I think we found the skill Percy needs to work on."

@Philippa Avery
    Last edited by Percival Torgood; Today at 02:08 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123