User Tag List

Thread: Let's Get Down to Business - 11/13, Dawn barracks, after the joust - Guy/Pippa/closed?

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's Get Down to Business - 11/13, Dawn barracks, after the joust - Guy/Pippa/closed?

The crowds were heavy on the city streets as Pippa left the Delarose manor, polearm in hand. The joust had been over for about an hour, and the people had filtered out of the stadium and into the shops and restaurants of the capital to continue the celebratory spirit of the day. Pippa hadn't been in attendance, and hadn't heard much about the results, but she gathered it had gone well enough from the snips of conversation she picked up as she went. For the most part she was moving against the flow of traffic; although the weapon in her hand was quite good at clearing the way, there were times she had to make use of her small size to duck into gaps, or avoid collisions with people who weren't looking where they were going. It was alright, though, as nerves quickened her pace, and she would have arrived too early if the way had been clear.

It had been a long time since she'd felt this nervous. She knew Corran had been able to see it, when she'd stood before him to let him know she was leaving. In her better set of gear, Corran's own tabard belted over it, she wouldn't have been surprised if he could have heard her heart beating. But he hadn't said anything, and neither had Vicky, when she'd run in to give her a hug before she left. It had been a small mercy, and Pippa spent the time as she was walking trying to keep her breathing steady. She could do this. This was what she wanted, the first step toward her dream. This was no time to let nerves get in her way.

She arrived at the training yard to find it relatively empty, but someone must have been told to watch for her, because a young man opened the gate for her. "You must be Avery?" Pippa nodded, and the man gave her a smile. "The stick gives you away. I'll go tell the Commander you're here." He latched the gate behind her and left her standing in the yard as he disappeared into the barracks, a smirk on her face at the idea that it was her weapon that made her recognizable, rather than anything else that made her stand out from what would be considered normal for a squire.

----

@Guy Durand

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "What is she wearing," Somers asked the knight as the two of them watched her enter the yard from the window in Guy's office. The squire's tabard had not been popular in recent years, and the commander had only made Percy wear his when he was being punished for something. Jesse had never even seen one in person, and certainly didn't understand where Pippa might have gotten it, though he assumed it probably came from Percival. The bard had not betrayed the fact that he knew Percival and Pippa were friends, and had no desire to do so. And as far as he knew, Vivienne had kept the secret as well.

Guy looked at him and smiled. "It's a relic," he said with something of a chuckle. "But I like it," he added, lifting his sword belt off the back of his chair and pulling it about his waist. "This might not be the worst idea your girlfriend has ever had after all," he told Jesse. "She's clearly better at finding future knights than she is at finding future husbands," he chided the smaller man, but patted him on the back affectionately. "Off to work," he said with a smile. "Tell my cousin I'll be by in a couple of hours."

Parting company with the minstrel, Guy crossed the hall and ran into the stable hand. The boy was about to report, but the knight waived him off. "I saw her," he said with a nod, and dismissed the man back to his chores. It was a small walk to where Pippa was waiting, and Guy didn't rush the trip. Most new squires, himself included at the time, were impatient creatures, and making them wait was a very good starting lesson. But he reached her soon enough, and greeted her with a visual assessment of her attire, as though he had not been watching her from the interior.

"Punctual," he said with what sounded like an approving tone. "And apparently a stickler for the dress code," he said, indicating the tabard. He might have been poking a little fun at her, but he kept his face straight so it was hard to be sure. Motioning for Pippa to follow him, Guy began to make his way back toward his office. "We had a visit from Ser Corran and Lady Kendrick yesterday afternoon," he told her. The we included Vivienne Shellten as well, though Guy didn't alert Pippa to this fact. "If you were intimidated by the expectations I had for you, then I assure you that you have far more pressure waiting for you at home."

@Philippa Avery

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having already been a guard may have given Pippa a little bit of an advantage over others in her position, starting out as a squire. Sure, she was somewhat impatient for the events of the day to begin. Who wouldn't have been? But she wasn't fidgeting or uncomfortable as she waited; instead, she leaned on her weapon a little bit and took in her surroundings. There was some significant hustle going on in the stables adjacent to the yard, the joust still creating action even though it was over. Other than that the barracks were largely quiet; only one Dawn had jousted, if Pippa remembered correctly, so all the other squires were taking care of business elsewhere.

Movement caught her eye, and Pippa stood up straight when Guy appeared in the doorway and made his way toward her. There was a moment of pause as she watched him approach; it was hard to believe that this was who she was to be training under. The Knight of Autumn, Queen's own cousin, the most celebrated knight in the realm. Who ever could have predicted this was to be her future?

She allowed herself a small, but not self-satisfied smile at his apparent praise, and her smile grew a little despite his own straight face as he commented on her attire. Holding her arms out a little from her body and looking down at the tabard, so unusual an adornment these days, she gave a little shrug. "It seemed apt, having been given it," was all she said to explain herself and her choice. If anyone would recognize the tabard for what it was and what it meant, it was Guy, so she didn't feel she needed to say much else.

Pippa easily fell into step beside and just behind Guy, as she always had done with Corran, and she chuckled. His observation could be taken two ways, one more comforting than the other, and she didn't make a firm assumption either way. "I've done okay so far living up to expectation. I've just gotta keep that up," she said, sounding neither too intimidated nor excessively cheerful. She approached her work with a level-headedness that had served her well, and she hoped it would continue to do so. "It might be trickier with Vicky, but if nothing else maybe I'll be useful for a lesson or two." She chuckled again, her affection for the child evident.

-----
    @Guy Durand

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guy's posture was extremely relaxed. He wasn't so old or so formal as to move consistently about the building with his chin up or his shoulders straight. There were older knights who would have insisted on such posture and conditioning, both for themselves and their squires, but Durand knew that it would likely cause a stir if he was caught walking about Hebron, constantly telling Philippa Avery to push her chest out. That, and he was simply too tired too often to maintain the effort that would have been required for such silly tradition. "I couldn't help but notice," he began somewhat casually as they made their way back toward his office. "Was it my imagination, or did I hear Ser Percival refer to you as Pippa, just before I kicked him in the face yesterday?"

Corran Torgood had only referred to her as Philippa, but that was the old man's way. And little Vicky, more than likely coached by the veteran knight, only ever referred to her as Lady Philippa, or Miss Avery, once Corran had corrected her on the squire's station. "Is that a nickname you prefer? Or had my former squire simply not heard it right whenever it was that you two had the occasion to be introduced?" If Guy was being coy about what he might or might not know, he didn't let on. Instead, he turned down an offshoot of the main hall and began to descend a flight of stairs, into what looked like the only subterranean level of the building. Stopping to open the door, which was apparently not locked or guarded, he held it open for the woman and motioned her in. "First stop, the armory," he told her coolly.

There were seven mannequins on the far wall, the majority of which stood naked. The fifth and seventh one however, wore sets of white breast plate armor, complete with greaves and gauntlets. The arrangement on the fifth mannequin was clearly used recently, but the one adorning the seventh was shining brightly in the torchlight. On the far walls, there were racks of various weapons, all in far better shape than those they had picked up in the training yard the other day. Their steel and decorated pommels and shafts sparkled as the flickering flames reacted to the Knight of Autumn closing the door. "While I'm not really a stickler for manual labor or routine for the sake of routine, I'm going to have you clean that set of armor later. Just so that I know that you can disassemble and polish plate. If you can't, or aren't sure you remember how, I can show you." The set had been on loan to Xavier Fairfax, who was all too happy to finally be able to return it after the joust.

Taking a moment to appraise the rest of the room, he nodded toward the polearms. "None of these are to leave the building unless they are in the hands of a member of the order. However, if you find yourself with free time during the day and wish to inspect any number of them, you have my permission. So long as you remove the fingerprints before you put them back," he added, as though it were something they all agreed upon amongst themselves, so they didn't have to risk one of the servants cutting themselves trying to clean weapons they had no idea how to hold.

"Any questions about the armory," he asked her casually, making it clear that he didn't intend for them to linger there for very long. He wanted the tour over with in relatively short order, so that he could start assigning her tasks that allowed for him to finish his reports, before he bothered seeing how well she sparred.

@Philippa Avery

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Was it my imagination, or did I hear Ser Percival refer to you as Pippa, just before I kicked him in the face yesterday?"

"It wasn't your imagination," the guard - no, squire now - answered, a smirk on her lips. It wasn't necessarily that she drew amusement from having seen Percy take a boot to the chin, exactly, and if he'd been hurt she wouldn't be smiling about it even a little, but perhaps as a consequence of having been around men for most of her formative years, she saw the incident as an odd sort of funny. "Pippa is the name I normally go by. I think aside from Corran, the only people who call me by Philippa are my parents when they're being stern with me." She paused, momentarily distracted by a particularly well done illuminated crest on the wall, but her feet kept moving and after a beat she finished her thought. "I'll answer to either, though, and am happy to let people choose which they'd rather use." Guy had not let on how much he knew about Pippa's association with Percy, and if he had been angling for more information, he'd have to be more direct than that.

Stepping into the armory, Pippa moved far enough in that she didn't feel like she was intruding, but also so that she wasn't crowding the entrance. It struck her as odd that all the knights didn't keep their armor here on the mannequins, but she didn't say as much, and there was enough to look at that she didn't linger on the thought. Her hands clasped behind her back, she moved further into the room to inspect a rack of daggers and short blades a little closer, but she looked up attentively when Guy gave her instructions. Nodding to acknowledge, she moved to the armor in question, lifting a plate or two to ascertain that it was as she expected. "I don't think I'll have a problem, but I'll be sure to ask if I run across something I'm unfamiliar with." She'd never had to deal with plate that was this fancy before; mostly she'd dealt with the rougher sort, piecemeal suits cobbled together and frequently repaired, and she'd never had a set of her own to take care of. She'd lent a hand getting fellow guards in and out of their plate, though, that she felt confident she could do the job.

The polearms Guy motioned toward were lovely to behold, ornate and gleaming. They were exactly the sort of thing she'd imagine a Knight of Dawn carrying, if any of them favored the weapon, although to her knowledge none did. "Thank you," she said as she approached the rack, her hands clasped behind her back again lest she be tempted to touch them. She saw one in particular she'd like to look at further; the blade incorporated a hammer on the back, and at the bottom of the shaft was a metal pommel, presumably to balance the weight. It made her curious about the center of gravity, although she knew full well it was too heavy a weapon for her to use personally, and she made a mental note to take it for a spin.

"Any questions about the armory?"

The girl looked around and genuinely considered the question, but ended up shaking her head. "Seems pretty self-explanatory, at least for now," she said lightly, turning toward him to signal she was ready to follow. She was sure at least some of these weapons had histories and legacies, but it was nothing she needed to know on her first day. "What's next?"

-----
    @Guy Durand

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pippa was straightforward with the answer that Guy was looking for, and as such he was content to not press any further on the question of how, or how well, she knew Percival Torgood. Pippa was not going to be able to avoid being in a room with his former squire, given the confines of the barracks, and the Knight of Autumn would soon learn just how well the couple knew each other. He had no reason to suspect that their acquaintance was anything other than a byproduct of their individual relationships with Corran, but he did find it off that the young man was so distracted by her appearance the previous day that he would allow for such a glaring error in his combat routine.

"If Pippa suits you, then it's just as easy for me as anything," he told her graciously, since he himself was never one to stand on ceremony, unless there actually was a ceremony. Guy was also glad to see her answering a little more confidently about the armor than she had about his prior challenge in the yard, and nodded his head to show that he was glad they were on the same page. Even though Pippa had not been to court before this week, he suspected that Corran maintained at least one or two sets of armor, or that local knights were at least passing by frequently enough that she was familiar with heavy plate. "It's a bitch to don," he said, seemingly unconcerned about the abrasive language. She was going to be in a building full of young men, quite a few with temper, for him to concern himself with chivalry in that extreme. "But it is pretty straightforward when not being worn."

The knight saw her perusing the weapons and smiled to himself. He was glad to see she was interested. So many younger squires, there only out of obligation, never bothered to touch a sword that didn't belong to them, nor did they worry about familiarizing themselves with more exotic elements of weaponry. "Conditioning," he said, as he moved out the door for the armory. If she wasn't his squire, he'd have been obliged to hold the door for her and wait until she passed. But, because she was his squire, and he sensed, would be smart enough to know that he was pulling his punches, he simply turned on his heel and let her catch it for herself.

"Clearly, you have enough upper body strength to wield a weapon that weighs half again as much as that preferred by most of the knights in Hebron, but the day is coming that you will be expected to wear armor, and not just leather. And you'll be expected to carry a heavy lance with one arm, while a Destrier as tall as fifteen hands gallops under you." None of this was a commentary on her being female. Most male squires required a good deal of weight training before they even managed a pass without dropping the lance.

Turning at the top of the stairs, Guy turned into a large room that from all appearances, shouldn't fit in the building. But the barracks were larger than they looked, and so here they were. There were contact dummies, and heavy medicine balls, and very thick rope lines, both suspended from the ceiling and anchored to large lead weights on the ground, for either climbing or dragging. And against the far wall was a monstrous contraption with numerous obstacles bolted to it, and a very large crank at the far end. "The Gauntlet," he said, quite fondly. The room was humid, and smelled of sweat and even a little blood, but the Gauntlet seemed to be immaculately maintained, Guy nodded at it casually. "We had it put in a couple years ago. We found the designs among Patrick Hepburn's effects after he passed away, and decided to give it a try." Guy had run it successfully on numerous occasions. Though it took him nearly fifty attempts at first, and he still wasn't very good at it. "Lexington can run it in just under forty-five seconds," he said, a small touch of appreciation in his voice. "None of the other three have managed it yet. Though Gavin is getting closer."

@Philippa Avery
    Last edited by Guy Durand; 01-19-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather than be offended at the rough language or the lack of propriety, Pippa almost began to feel more at ease. While it was true that when she was working with her father or uncle the men had all been on their best behavior, she'd been running jobs on her own for long enough that a few curse words were hardly going to phase her. Neither was she bothered when Guy left the room without ushering her through first. It didn't even cross her mind that he should, and she caught the door and closed it behind her, making sure the latch caught, without hesitation. She was more in her element here than she had been at the ball; she had known then, as she did now, that she was being judged at every turn, but at least here she felt better equipped for the challenge.

Conditioning didn't sound much like fun, but Pippa had come prepared to get stuck in. She also wasn't stupid enough to think that she was in such good shape that she wouldn't need much training, although she might've been dreading finding out just how much work she'd need. The thought came to mind that her wielding a heavy weapon wasn't too impressive, since she kept hers lighter than most and, anyway, it was mostly about leverage, but she stopped short of saying as much. There was being realistic about one's abilities, and then there was underselling oneself. The former could be helpful, but the latter never was, and Pippa was content to let Guy assess her skill for himself. Instead she followed in attentive silence, and remembered her childhood dreams of jousting.

Turning the corner, Pippa had not been prepared for what was within. The room did seem too large for the building, but that wasn't what immediately struck her. Her eyes passed quickly over the dummies and ropes and fell on the torturous looking machine at the back. "By the gods," she said quietly, an almost unsettled awe in her voice. From where she stood she could hardly even follow the path a person was meant to take, or identify the obstacles that a person would face. "That is a hell of a thing." She could hardly pull her eyes from it, but hearing that a knight had run it in under forty-five seconds did the job. Her head snapped to look at Guy, almost as if to see if he was pulling her leg, but to say she was impressed would have been an understatement.

"How does it work," she asked, turning her attention back to the machine at the far end of the room. "It's all powered by the crank? And all the gears..." her voice drifted off as she tried to follow the mechanisms, "move the various obstacles, which look like they try to trip, pummel, and otherwise stop the person trying to run through it?"

----
    @Guy Durand

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guy was quite pleased with the girl's appreciation and awe, and remembered a similar feeling when he had first laid eyes on The Gauntlet. Mostly because none of it seemed possible. The contraption was only fifty feet long, but made a left turn at a ninety degree corner on the wall, and it had always seemed to the knight that powering something that large with a single hand crank would have to be impossible. Guy had however, done just that, and with far less effort than he had imagined it would take. He didn't know anything about architecture, but he was convinced now that Patrick Hepburn knew far more than anyone else ever had. And Grant had made the thing come true.

"Essentially," he told Pippa with a nod. "But not even that simple. Many of the gears are missing teeth, by design. It causes The Gauntlet to hiccup at seemingly random intervals, and makes the obstacles so unpredictable that you can't run the same course twice. If the gears were complete, you could just teach yourself to time it. I think that's the most impressive part." Guy could sense that Pippa was already studying the contraption, wondering if she could figure it out before she even stepped to the starting line. He would let her try. But not today.

The trip to the stables were not necessary, as it would still be the better part of a week before Philippa's own steed arrived. And so Guy was content to linger here for a few minutes. "I assume you read and write," he said to her, even though there was no reason to make such a statement. He couldn't imagine that Corran would give her as much access to Victoria as she had without being able to contribute to the girl's education, but then again Pippa had not been born a noble, and she was a female. So her own education couldn't just be presumed. "Any histories or military tactics," he wondered out loud, curious about how much she would have studied for this possible future, no matter how unlikely she thought it was at the time.

Before Pippa could answer, there was a messenger in the doorway, bringing a dispatch for the Commander. Guy gave him a nod of dismissal and smiled at Avery. "Excuse me," he said as he unfolded the parchment. Gavin it appeared had asked if he could take Percy's post at Vera's door, and considering that the Hepburn knight was leaving in the morning, Percival had granted the request. This neither pleased Guy nor upset him. Percy usually showed good judgment in such matters, and even if he didn't know what Guy knew about the younger princess and the Knight of Dawn, he wasn't oblivious as to their friendship. Marianne was in the East Tower, having tea with Charlotte Hunter, and therefore, there wasn't much else to occupy the younger Torgood, and he advised Guy that he would be reporting for new orders momentarily. His arrival would serve some good in helping to unravel the mystery revolving around his squires, and might buy Guy a few private moments, if he could convince Percy to take over the next leg or two of the tour.

"Ser Percival will be joining us momentarily," he said to Pippa. "Any other questions on the training room?"

@Philippa Avery

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pippa wasn't entirely sure if she was disturbed or in awe of the tricky nature of The Gauntlet, and her face displayed a combination of both in equal measure. "That is impressive," she said, giving the beast of a machine one last glance over. "Forty-five seconds, you said?" She shook her head, and gave a little whistle. "He's the tall one, right? I saw him when I was with Vicky going through the tour, I think." Her perception of 'the tall one' was skewed slightly, for two reasons: most people were tall to her, since she reached no great height herself, and to her knowledge she hadn't seen the other two Dawn. Well, she was sure she'd seen them, since she'd seen a bunch of fancy white armor at the Coronation ball, but that didn't really count. More to the point, she hadn't necessarily pegged Lexington for having the sort of agility and speed she imagined one would need to complete The Gauntlet. Granted, she always tried to keep from judging people on first glance; after all, she knew better than most what it was like to be dismissed just based on looks. "I'd be curious to see him run it one day."

Guy's next questions were ones Pippa had anticipated, so she wasn't bothered when they came up, nor was she terribly disturbed to have her answering delayed. She gave a nod and looked around the room, taking in her surroundings more clearly as she waited, noting the racks of dulled weapons, the various weights and blocks and logs that she was sure she would curse, given enough time. The movement out of the corner of her eye of Guy putting the parchment away drew her attention back to him, and although she hadn't been expecting what he said, she didn't have much of a reaction, either. Most of it was that she was skilled at schooling her expression, but it was also the case that she wasn't sure how she felt about Percival's imminent arrival. She was happy to see him, of course, but the fact that this wasn't a social setting made it different; here, now, he was her better rather than her friend, and she couldn't allow any muddled feelings to factor in too strongly.

"Okay," she said with a nod, easily accepting the news before moving on to answer his latest question. "No, I don't think so. But to answer your questions from before, I do read and write. Unfortunately my experience with histories is...recreational, at best, nothing like proper study. And what little I know of military tactics I heard during caravan runs, from an old sword who loved nothing more than telling stories about grand battles to a captive audience, so I rather doubt that counts for much. I certainly don't think he would have let accuracy stand in the way of a good tale."

----
    @Guy Durand

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The admiration that the squire was showing for Lexington's accomplishments was enough to make Guy smile. He wasn't necessarily amused, and he never got the impression that the other knight was overly proud of the accomplishment. Lex was very businesslike when his commander was around. That, in and of itself, was enough to please Guy. He understood that there was always some camaraderie amongst the knights, having been one for years himself. And while there was times that he missed it, and perhaps Pippa's arrival would change that, he was forced to be the stoic face of the order.

"I think," Guy said, though only for her benefit. "Taller than Percy and myself and Gavin, though Larson is his twin brother. So I think they are close. I guess it's odd that I never considered it." He could always ask Lereaux if he wanted to, since the tailor had all the measurements of all of his men. But for the purposes of Pippa's question, Guy thought that he had handled it well enough. "I'm not sure that Ser Lexington has anything else to prove," the commander said with a smile. "Though he's a good-hearted sort. If you came to him after a few failures, sporting a few bruises, he'd likely take pity on you and make a run just so you could analyze it."

Philippa was giving him no inkling about her relationship to Percival with her answer, and he didn't bother to press. If she was adept at keeping her emotions hidden, that was a good characteristic for a knight to possess, and he wouldn't necessarily want to do anything to break her of the habit. "Nobody reads histories for recreation, Pippa." It was a generalization he knew. One that might cause offense, if she was the sort of person who actually read histories and tactics for recreation. Though he somehow doubted that she would have been so casual about his question if she was an enthusiast. "We all do like sharing stories though, don't we," he told her, by way of empathy with the old sword she referenced. He had heard and told more than his fair share over the years.

Guy was not certain where his former squire would find him and his current one, but he also had no intention of just laying about and waiting for Percy to arrive. Moving along the ground floor of the barracks, Guy motioned down the southern wing of the building. "Living quarters," he said casually, as though there wasn't really anything there to see that would interest her. "Corran led me to understand that you would be keeping your residence. Her grace insisted that you stay at the castle if nothing else. Despite long caravan trips and other posts surrounded by men, it would seem your friends are still eager to segregate you. But that doesn't bother me if it doesn't bother you."

Crossing to the northern wing, Guy opened a door that might have normally led to another sleeping chamber, but was instead clearly laid out as an office with open spaces aside from the desk. Plenty of clearance for a polearm but still homey enough with a couch that Pippa could entertain and relax. "If you wish it converted back to its original layout, that's fine. But if you weren't sleeping in it, then I figured I would have it done up more practically." There was a small bookshelf on the far wall with some things that Guy considered required reading for squires, as well as some books he thought she might enjoy for fun. A brand new tabard was set out on the surface of the desk, a shinier and more contemporary version of the one she already wore. He would not make her wear it, if she preferred Corran's. Guy appreciated the need for reminders of where they came from, and those that believed in them.

@Philippa Avery
    Last edited by Guy Durand; 02-06-2018 at 10:02 PM.