User Tag List

Thread: A Well-Deserved Break - 6/26 Evening, Conservatory - Evangeline, Liliana, Nolana [closed]

House Baptiste Evangeline Baptiste's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Well-Deserved Break - 6/26 Evening, Conservatory - Evangeline, Liliana, Nolana [closed]

The women's work was winding down, but only slightly. Now that the cure had been announced and the first wave distributed, their work had shifted from research to production, and the three of them had barely left the work spaces of the gardens in what felt like weeks. Evangeline had taken what time she could to return to Valley Haven to see Tarran, but such trips were less frequent than she would have liked. Each time she went, though, he was much improved, and each time she was able to lessen the restrictions placed upon his activity. Of course, she wasn't sure how well the nurses she left in charge could enforce such limits, knowing how the captain's charisma almost always ended up getting him what he wanted in the end, but he seemed to be behaving fairly well.

Even though it seemed they all got out when they could, Eva still felt they all spent far too much time in the conservatory, sleeves pushed up to their elbows and fingers stained green. They had to produce enough of the elixir that it could be distributed to those who didn't have the means to make it for themselves, but it was seemingly endless work, and they were all getting run down. Evangeline often heard in the back of her mind the voice of her mother, telling her that working hard was one thing, but overworking made her useless to those tho might have need of her, and they were wise words indeed. But ceasing such important work was almost impossible, and the three of them were feeling the consequences, even if none complained about it.

On this particular afternoon, though, there was a lull in the work; the batch they'd been working on had to steep overnight, and the next batch wasn't quite ready to process yet. There was busywork that could be done, but an idea occurred to Evangeline which seemed too good to ignore. She told the other two that she would be back in about an hour, and she was as good as her word, returning with a basket in each hand.

Stopping in the work room, she had a mischievous grin on her face. "Alright, ladies, I've got wine and I've got snacks. Who's ready for a break?" With that invitation, she headed to the adjacent room that had served as the living quarters for all three of them these past weeks. Sparsely but comfortably furnished, there were beds pushed lengthwise against three of the walls, a chest at the foot and a small table at the head of each, and a table against the fourth, leaving a small open space in the middle of the room.

Setting the baskets on the table, she emptied one of its contents, setting out bowls containing all manner of snacks, from fruits to cookies to bread and cheese to dried, smoked meat. The other basket contained at least four bottles of wine, and Eva pulled one out and only gave its label a cursory glance before taking a glass cup and filling it. She took a long sip before moving into the empty space, grabbing her pillow off her bed and tossing it onto the floor before unceremoniously flopping onto it, spreading her arms wide and laying flat out on her back. Unladylike, but she didn't care. She was too comfortable in her own skin to be self-conscious, and she was too tired to worry about being improper. She and the Gyrtners had been working together long enough that they were used to one another, even if they hadn't had much time to really get to know each other. Perhaps this was the evening to fix that.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After all of their time and energy, Lily could not believe that their work was coming down to a conclusion. Once the cure had been found, the ladies had been hard at work night and day making sure that the patches were perfect and ready to be sent all over the country. They had the support they needed and they were almost done with all of the batches. The nobles had started to head back to their cities taking batches of the medicine with them making sure that everyone in their city would be feeling better soon if they had the illness.

Lily was ready for an evening away from all of the work. She missed Devonshire, she missed Lexington, she missed her family, she missed her friends and she missed spending time with her sister. Ever since they arrived in Hebron, the sister rarely talked, they worked and that was alright with the both of them. With the help of Evangeline, the women could finally sit down for a night off and just relax. When Eva said that she would be back soon, Lily nodded giving her a smile before helping Nolana with the last batch that needed to be set for the evening. Once they were done, Lily sat down cleaning her hands off when the conservatory door opened and there stood Eva holding two bags in her hands.

“May I help you Evangeline?” Lily asked curiously before the brunette announced that there were wine and snacks in the bags for them. Lily couldn’t help, but laugh as she called to Nolana that there was snacks and wine for all of them. She followed Evangeline into their small but comfortable sitting room as she grabbed her own pillow watching her friend with a laugh as she sprawled across the floor.

“That looks like fun and I simply cannot have you have all of the fun.” She teased her with a laugh as she flopped down next to her new friend on the floor. She laughed knowing that she looked very unladylike at the moment, but that didn’t matter as she sat up and grabbed some wine pouring it into a nearby glass.

“What a brilliant idea Evangeline dear, we needed a break. Lana should be here soon to join us, you know how she is. I just want to thank you again for all of your help these past few weeks. Once everything is said and done, I hope we can keep in touch. Where shall you be heading back to when all of the batches are sent out?” She asked curiously as she laid back down turning her head to face her friend.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "There's plenty of room," Evangeline said with a bit of a laugh in her voice as she patted the floor beside her, watching as Liliana flopped - albeit with a bit more grace - onto the floor as she had. Sprawled out, she already felt the muscles in her back relaxing; standing bent over tables and work spaces all day was killing her, and she was sure the other girls felt the same way. Although perhaps they were more used to it, having bent over planting beds their whole lives? She wondered, but not enough to actually voice the question.

"If Nolana's not in here in a few minutes, I'm going to go out there and drag her here myself. That girl needs a break just the same as we do." Her voice was light, the threat mostly a joke, but there was a weighty truth hidden within. The three of them had been working their fingers to the bone doing this work for the kingdom, and their work here was always in addition to whatever other household duties they had. For Eva that was never much; she had much work waiting for her back in Valley Haven, and she'd picked up a few more serious patients here, but it wasn't as if she was having to run an entire castle.

She waved away Lily's thanks, shaking her head. "It's nothing you've got to thank me for. I come from a family of healers...it would be more foreign for me to not lift a finger. I should more be thanking you and your sister...your obligation could easily have ended with the production of the plants, and yet you've gone on to help process as well. You've truly gone above and beyond, especially in such a troubling time for your family."

Sitting up, she took a sip of her wine and smiled, shifting so she was leaning up against her bed, hands in her lap, legs crossed at the ankles. "We'll definitely have to keep in touch. It should be fairly easy, at least for awhile...while King Lochlan has Balfour closed, Valley Haven is as close to a home as I and my people have." The words were spoken with some weight, although Evangeline tried to keep the tone light; the fact that she was so isolated from the rest of her family weighed heavily upon her, though, and even more so now that she held the knowledge of how to cure the disease that ravaged her home. "I might do some traveling, if it's necessary, to help with the administration of the cure and whatnot. It's been said I'm not a soul to stay in one place for too long," she said with a smirk, "But I'm quite looking forward to spending some quiet time for a little while once this is all over with." Truth be told, she was looking most forward to spending quality time with Tarran, but as she'd hardly mentioned him at all to the others, nothing but the particular curve of her smile gave away that there might be someone special she had in mind.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lily let out a childish, loud laugh as she flopped very unladylike next to Eva on the floor; it felt so good to stretch out her entire body especially her arms and her back. The women had agreed long ago that they were proud of their work and would continue to make the cure available to everyone which meant making batch after batch of the medicine, however, they also agreed that the work was horrible on their backsides.

Lily laughed at Eva’s statement and agreed before leaning up a bit, “Lana! Come on!” She yelled with a laugh glad that no one else was around to hear the shouting. Evangeline had been used to it since the sisters normally did that to communicate when they were working on opposite ends of the conservatory and back home in their own home and gardens. Lily missed and longed to see Devonshire once again soon. She would have to take Lexington soon, he would love it. She grinned at how close the women had gotten over the past few weeks. They were always together and got to know one another fairly easy.

“Well Eva we could not have done it without you. We know about plants and their origins and purposes, but it was you who discovered the cure and how to make it. We are very grateful that you allowed us to stay and help you. Yes the death of our brother is tragic so as you know that is why Nolana and I are here still. We want to prevent other families of experiencing the heartache that we have been dealing with. Never the less, there is no need to thank us. We wanted to stay and help you.” She replied with a smile as a glass of wine was poured for her and she grinned. Accepting the wine, she took a sip and smiled once more.

“This wine is delicious Eva, you have another gift it seems, picking the best sweets and wine,” Lily told her with a laugh before nodding her head, “Oh I agree. We will stay in touch. Nolana and I consider you a dear friend and it would be a shame for us not to keep in touch with a dear friend. When you are done administering the cure to everyone, will you settle back in Valley Haven? Or to see someone in particular?” Lily asked being a woman and being nosy giving Eva a playful grin before giggling.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evangeline listened as Liliana explained their motivation for helping, nodding. Even if Lily told her that she didn't have to thank them, she knew that there were few other people who would have stayed and put in the time and effort that they had. Without the extra help, it would have taken Eva so much longer to have gotten to this point, and who knows how many people would have fallen ill and perhaps died in that time. This little gesture was one way of thanking the girls, but Eva knew that wine and some food didn't even come close to conveying the gratitude they deserved. Eva could only hope that others would also recognize what the Gyrtner family had done.

"I'm glad you like it," she said, taking another sip of her own wine. "Nothing's familiar to me here, so I'll admit I guessed just a little. It helped that the lad I spoke to was very helpful with his recommendations." She grinned a bit sheepishly; it was still vexing how alienated she still felt, living in a place where many things went by different names, and some things she was used to didn't exist at all. But she made a mental note to go back to the wine shop and thank the man who'd helped her.

"I suppose I'll have to. There aren't many other places for me to go, really, unless the King has other work for me that would keep me in Hebron." She wasn't entirely sure, but she did hope that even if King Cailen had other work for her, she would still be allowed to live in Valley Haven. "It's just more comfortable to be surrounded by people who're like me, you know? The others from Balfour are as close to family as I have right now." And one man from Balfour, in particular. "I will admit, though, there is one person I'm more keen to see than the others," she said with a bit of a grin, knowing full well that now that she'd come close to admitting something Lily would not let her rest until she'd told her everything.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lily knew that she had a tendency to talk a lot so when she did, she noticed that Eva had been nothing, but kind listening to her every word. She was the type of person that sometimes cared about what other people thought of her, especially her family and close friends and the last thing she wanted with Eva was to offend her or scare her off. Eva was a wonderful friend and she didn’t want to lose her as one even though all three women knew that they would keep in touch no matter what even when their work was over.

Glancing over to see Eva laugh at her antics and then thank her for her own compliments, if women were good at one thing, it was giving and receiving truthful compliments for one another. “It’s my pleasure Eva dear you did a very good job. Is the food and wine here to your liking? Is it much different compared to Balfour? Forgive me, but I don’t know about Balfour.” She asked curiously wanting to know more about their neighboring country. She had never met someone from there and Eva was so nice and lovely. Hopefully any other Balfourians she would meet, she would enjoy their company just like she had been enjoying Eva’s.

“If you want, you are more than welcome to come back to Devonshire with Nolana and I when we are all done here with our work. You won’t ever be alone in that sense anymore. My mother loves the company of new people there so she would love you. Valley Haven is a very lovely place though, do you have a permanent residence there or will you make it official when you return? One person? Would that person be a man?” Lily asked curiously with a playful grin as she rolled over to face her new friend. Lying on the floor was not the least bit lady-like, but it didn’t matter to them at this time.

“It is a man! I knew it! Give me details and then maybe I can tell you more about me and a certain Knight of Dawn you’ve wanted to know more about.” She teased back with an excited grin almost bouncing from the excitement.

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A walk was needed and Nolana took the first out she could for a breath of fresh air. Lady Evangeline had left to fetch something with the promise of a rather hasty return. Nolana and Lily just as quickly went through the last motions that were needed to finally settle out for the day and the second they had finished, Nolana bolted with few apologies and a rather rushed explanation. It wasn’t that she did not want Lily to join her, she simply needed a bit of time to her own thoughts. And perhaps she was hoping to crash into Sir Kelley on the way.

She did not find him but the walk was successful none the less for the gardens were quite beautiful at this time of evening, with the sun beginning to set. The statues turned golden and sparkled like the brightest jewels the kingdom had to offer. How she loved Hebron.

Upon entering the conservatory again, Nolana was quite taken back by the quiet that had settled within the glass windows. There were no feet running around, tea kettles were not whistling as water boiled within them, and there were no voices to ruin the peace. She took a deep breath, held it in for a moment, and then released it as a sigh. Everything felt right.

”Lana! Come on!” Lily’s voice broke the silence from their quarters and Nolana nearly jumped in surprise. It seemed that something was brewing in the back.

Struck by curiosity, her feet took her through the conservatory’s winding paths, though ever so often Nolana would turn and check for Zander, just in case he decided stopped by. She realized that wasn’t so when she reached the door to the quarters and tried to push the disenchantment from her mind. It wasn’t like he said he would… With a deep breath Nolana pushed through the door, only to find the ladies sitting on the floor, chatting away. ”Sorry I took so long, I lost track of ti- Is that wine?” Nolana cut herself short and smiled widely at the sight of the treats and wine glasses that sat between the women. ”Oh you are marvelous, Evangeline, I have half a mind to smother you with kisses!” Nolana pushed back her soiled skirts and sat with them, immediately pouring herself a glass of wine and diving into it. In a very unladylike manner, Nolana drained half the crystal before she stopped for a breath. ”I so very much needed this, thank you.”

Her attention wandered the to conversation as she nursed her drink with a cookie in her other hand. Lily spoke of men and crushes while trying to pry the name of Evangeline’s infatuation from her, offering Ser Caldoran as bait. ”She does not have to speak of him if she does not wish to, Lily,” Nolana said light heartedly with a smile and a laugh. ”Though, Lily will ring it from you at some point, mark my words,” She told Evangeline with a sideways glance.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing the look of what seemed to be disappointment evaporate from Nolana's face when she entered and saw the table full of food and drink made everything Evangeline had hurried to do all the more worth it. Not that acquiring the things had been a great effort; the hardest part had been trying to translate what she wanted into what was available. Of all the things she'd run across, the different names for things was the hardest thing for Eva to come to grips with, and although she'd gotten better, sometimes she still elicited giggles from the others when she would ask for something they didn't recognize.

"Only half a mind...I'll have to try harder next time," she said conspiratorially to Liliana, a grin on her face. This was exactly what she'd wanted, and what they so richly deserved: to truly be able to relax, without anything needing to be done or anyone but themselves needing to be pleased. Freedom to joke and laugh and drink, and to just enjoy the company and relish in their accomplishment.

When conversation turned to Tarran, a bit of a blush fell to Evangeline's cheeks, and she smiled. "I suppose it's easier to cave now than later...but I think I need a refill first." Standing, she fetched the wine bottle from the table and took it with her, returning to flop back down onto the floor before refilling her glass. Then she set it in the center of the room, within easy reach of the others for when they had need of it.

"I suppose the most interesting detail is that we're to be married," she said, glancing down at her finger - currently bereft of the ring - and then up at Lily, to see her reaction. "His name is Tarran Hutchinson, and back home he's...well, he's lord of Chesbrook Springs." The sentence didn't roll off her tongue smoothly, but the death of Tarran's father was still so troubling that she had a hard time accepting it. But as now was neither the time nor the place for such heavy conversation, she kept her face light, and seeing the anticipation on Lily's face was enough to keep her smiling. "What else do you wish to know?"

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This day had gotten even better and Lily was more than ready for a simple evening in getting to know her new friend and colleague even more. Evangeline was the first Balfourian she had ever met and if all of them were like her, then Lily expected herself to like all of them. Eva was a dear friend and a simple genius at creating the right potion and plant to make the cure even possible. The Gyrtner sisters had simply given advice when needed and followed Eva’s directions. Both of them liked and admired her every moment they spent time together. No talk of work today, she told herself, now it was the time to relax and enjoy their freedom even if it was for one night.

Lily laughed at Eva teasing her a bit while taking a large drink of her wine. She reached over to refill her plate of crackers, cheese and the delicious fruit from the marketplace. She popped a grape into her mouth as she rolled her eyes at Nolana being late. Soon her sister entered the room and flopped down next to her.

Rolling her eyes once again at Nolana’s scolding, Lily scowled a bit teasing her sister before turning back to Eva, “I am really curious in case you did not know that already. What Nolana says is true, you do not have to tell me something you do not wish to, but she is also right in that I will find out sooner or later. I mean no harm though. Lord Hutchinson? I have heard that he is very handsome…engaged!? Oh congratulations Eva! That is wonderful news!” She said with a bright smile as she took another drink wondering how much of the wine it would take for her to get really affected by it.

“No nothing else unless you wish to tell me more. Now I did mention that I would talk about Sir Lexington Caldoran. I don’t see him much, but when I do, I never want to leave his company. He’s…just wonderful. Kind, polite, sweet, patient and he’s very romantic when he wants to be. At our last picnic lunch he brought me a water lily knowing that I loved him…alright enough of me, Lana, your turn. Details about Sir Zander are appropriate at this moment.” Lily replied teasing her sister a bit with a laugh at the look Nolana had given her.
    Last edited by Liliana Gyrtner; 01-18-2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: added a congrats in there bc lily doesnt want to be rude

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After her teasing had subsided, Nolana leaned back against the table’s frame and listened halfheartedly to the conversation at hand. She had never been one for these types of conversations, had never doted over the handsome knights that rode though Hebron as her sister and their female hands had. These exchanges were mostly foreign to her but she smiled and sipped her wine, nibbling on a rough cut square of cheese while her mind wandered. And of course, without fail, it wandered to Zander.

As if on cue, Nolana only just caught her name rolling off her sister’s tongue, followed by Sir Zander. At first Nolana didn’t quite know what to say and only stared at her sister as her mind processed the harmless remark. However harmless, the fact that she was head of their house, and a woman at that, brought extreme criticism. What would people think if they knew she was carrying on with – however harmless as well – a lowly knight.

Offering a small smile to try and cover up her unease, Nolana cleared her throat and took a sip of her wine. With a shake of her head, the Gyrtner waved off the question. ”There are no details to share. None on par with yours, my ladies. Sir Zander is only an old friend, nothing more.”

Turning to Evangline, Nolana offered the same half smile, ”Congratulations on your engagement, of course. When should we expect the wedding?” With a shifting gaze to her sister, Nolana added happily, ”We shall be preparing for my sister’s wedding soon, I imagine, if things continue well with Sir Caldoran.”

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ease with which Lily spoke about her beau, contrasted with the way Nolana seemed to side-step the conversation altogether, made Evangeline smile almost wistfully. Rebecca used to be very much like Liliana, always excited to speak about the current fixation of her heart, and always disappointed when Eva wasn't as eager to do the same. She could empathize, in some manner, with Nolana, although Eva wasn't quite sure if the older sister was quite truthful in her denial. It wasn't her place to push, though, and she easily accepted the turn of attention back onto herself.

"Thank you both," she said graciously. "As for when, it will be quite a wait." Her voice grew a little quieter. "As a matter of fact, when he proposed it was entirely likely that the wedding would never actually happen. He came down with the plague shortly after we arrived from Balfour." It was still a very difficult time for her to speak of, and even though things were better, Tarran still had a long, long road to recovery. "He's...well, it's impossible to say with certainty, of course, but he seems to be out of the worst of it." Tipping her head back and looking at the ceiling, she smirked. "He actually served as the test subject for this cure, poor man. I'm lucky he still wants to have anything to do with me after some of the things I made him taste." She laughed, able to see the amusement in it now that they were mostly out of the woods, so to speak.

Aware that she'd brought the mood down a little, Eva was more than happy to switch the focus back to Lily. "It seems that you will indeed," she said with a grin. "And what a lovely wedding it will be, with such a beautiful blushing bride! The groom isn't terrible to look at, either, from what I've seen of him." She fixed the girls with a conspiratorial look; she may be engaged, but she wasn't dead. There was no harm in appreciating the looks of other men; none came even close to Tarran in her eyes.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lily may be a young woman with no experience with love, but she was also truthful. She spoke from her heart and she meant every single word about her feelings for Lexington Caldoran. That man made her feel special and all warm inside. He made her feel as if she had a big important role in the world and she tried her best to do the same to him. With everything that had been going on, she truly did miss his company. As she smiled and drank some wine, Lily rolled her eyes at Eva regarding her sister. Everyone who knew Nolana were not blind, it was obvious that Nolana had deeper feelings for her own Knight in shining armor. However she was not going to press the subject more and she turned her attention back towards her new friend who was smiling and speaking of her own true love.

Lily smirked a bit at the idea of Eva using Lord Hutchinson as a guinea pig regarding her medicine, “Love knows no boundaries of time Eva so when the time is right, you two will know it. Lord Hutchinson seems to be a very kind and fair man. I am so sorry to hear that he had been diagnosed with the cure, but I’m also very grateful to hear that he is recovering well. I shall pray for him to have a fast recovery. Tell him that we both are very grateful that he tried our cure as well and that it was obviously successful. That gives us hope for others as well.” She replied with a smile as then the attention was brought back to her and Lexington.

Blushing profusely, she grabbed a pillow and hid her face as the other two women teased her about it more, Nolana more. “Ladies Sir Lexington has not even asked to court me so a wedding is not even in the cards for the pair of us. I do not know if he cares for me in that sense or not, but I would be honored if he did,” she replied and then giggled a bit at Eva’s handsome comment about him, “He is very handsome, so is his twin brother Sir Larson. Lots of guards are handsome and I hear Lord Hutchinson is very attractive as well. I just know he has blonde hair, I do not think I have seen him face to face yet…but I hope that will change once he feels better.” She said with a genuine smile as she threw the pillow to the couch and relaxed more.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I will tell him that," she said with a bit of a chuckle. "I'm sure he'll be glad to hear other people appreciate what I put him through." Evangeline still felt a bit of guilt, that her whole interest in finding a cure started out of her selfish need to save the man she loved. If Tarran hadn't gotten ill, would she have worked as hard as she did on the cure? Would they have even found it, or would the disease still be ravaging the population? But then, thinking like that made no sense, and wondering about the 'what if's of life didn't help anything.

Evangeline laughed as Lily tried to refute what everyone could see, pillow pressed over her face. "Maybe so, but I haven't heard of him spending any special time with any other lady..." she said, grinning and leering. "and he's given you a gift already." Leaning back on her hands, Evangeline gave a satisfied nod. "It might not mean wedding bells right now, but I think it's safe to say he certainly fancies you."

At the mention of Lily's knight's twin, Evangeline's brows knit together. "He's a bit darker, right? Darker hair, maybe a little shorter? Tattoos, I think?" She wasn't sure she was thinking of the right knight...she knew so little about any of them that they all seemed to blend in. She did begin to smile a little more proudly at the mention of Tarran. "Blonde hair, yes, that has a tendency toward unruly curls." Running her fingers through his hair was one of her favorite things to do. "He's tall...a sailor, so quite strong - although perhaps not as strong as a knight," she added with a wink. "Eyes blue as the sea that always have a bit of mischief in them." She looked down, the sort of smile on her face that a woman gets when speaking of the man she loves. "I'll definitely bring him 'round to introduce him to everyone properly once he's well enough to be out and about," she promised.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lily grinned as she took several grapes from a bunch and began chewing on one, “Well imagine if he had not been your guinea pig Eva. He would still be very ill and we wouldn’t have you to help us out. We wouldn’t know where to begin if we didn’t have you with us. We may know plants and flowers, but you know everything about medicine and herbs. You are amazing and I’m so glad that you asked us to help you. If you need any assistance in the future, feel free to contact us. I would be there in a heartbeat, maybe when the cure is administered here and once everyone returns to Balfour. I’d be homesick if I were you. I miss Devonshire all the time.” Lily commented with a grin before finishing the rest of her grapes before taking a sip of the wine.

Lily grinned as her friend began talking about Lexington once more. Feeling herself blush once more, Lily laughed as the two women teased her a bit more.

“Stop it, just because he doesn’t spend time with any other woman doesn’t mean anything. He is very busy, it’s hard enough to see him sometimes because he’s very reluctant to leave the castle because of what happened to the Queen Great Grandmother not that I blame him. It would be lovely if he fancied me, but I don’t know. How did you know when Tarran fancied you? I mean was it like fireworks and all that romantic stuff I hear about?” She asked curiously with a raised eyebrow with a smirk.

“Yes that’s Larson; he’s a couple inches shorter with dark hair and lots of tattoos according to Lex. He’s the King’s personal bodyguard and from what Lex has told me, almost polar opposites, but they are as close as ever,” She replied and giggled at Eva’s reaction about Tarran, “See I’m not the only one who has a special man in her life. I’d love to meet Tarran one day whenever he is fully recovered and ready for company. Sailors are strong too, I bet he can be just as strong as any knight.” Lily said with a smile.

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nolana only partially listened to the conversation that was taking place now. It wasn’t due to lack of interest. Her mind was simply elsewhere. She considered excusing herself to get a breath of fresh air, but that would be far too rude. Instead, she sipped her wine, smiled when it was needed and tried to keep Zander from her mind. ”The way the Caldoran looks at you, Lily, it is quite obvious he fancies you,” Nolana offered softly, hoping she did not reciprocate the compliment with one of her own involving Zander. To Evangeline, Nolana raised her glass delicately and said, ”We cannot wait to meet him.” All of this talk of men and romance had Nolana feeling out of place. Perhaps it was for the best that she had no one… no one to fancy her, or hold her, or set off the fireworks her sister spoke so excitedly of.

It was then that the Remington captain instead invaded her thoughts, as did the tomato tarts he had sent that morning. ”Oh! I almost forgot completely!” Nolana exclaimed, jumping from the floor in a manner that sent her skirts flying. ”Sorry, my apologies,” she said as she fled the room, only to return a moment later with a large box in hand. Setting down on the floor once more, Nolana opened the box to reveal a perfectly plump tomato tart just begging to be eaten.

”This arrived this morning and I cannot possibly eat it all. Please, enjoy.” As she placed the box before them, the little note that Captain Remington had sent dislodged itself from the bottom of the case and flittered down to the floor where it landed right at Lily’s feet.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "If he hadn't been my guinea pig," Evangeline thought, "he would be dead." She didn't say something so serious and dire, of course, but it was a truth that sometimes turned up to haunt her, as she was falling asleep. He had been so close to death, if she had tried the wrong thing, or had taken any longer... But it was something she endeavored to think very little on, and it was an especially unwelcome stream of thought here and now when she was supposed to be relaxing and having fun.

Eva grinned as Nolana chimed in, giving Lily an "I told you so" grin before the younger woman's questions made her think. "No, nothing so fanciful as that," she said, trying to recall if she could pinpoint a certain moment when she knew Tarran had feelings for her. Really, though, she was having a hard enough time figuring out if there was a specific moment that she knew she loved him. "It sort of...I dunno, it just seemed to happen. Like falling asleep, a sort of: slowly, and then all at once." That seemed fitting, although when she'd heard the line said somewhere else before she'd thought it silly. "I suppose ours can't really be considered a typical situation, though, really. I mean I'd met him before a few times, and thought he was handsome enough, you know, but then the war happened and he...I can't really put it any more plainly that he saved my life. So there was that sort of strength of gratitude, and I guess things just grew from there." She seemed to turn inward, a quiet smile curving her lips. "He saved my life, and in return I gave him my heart. And when I saved his, he gave me a ring!"

She hadn't spoken hardly at all about the events that had unfolded during the civil war on Balfour. What she'd just said was perhaps the most she'd told anyone on Tuneric, but speaking of something which still haunted her nights wasn't necessarily something which made good conversation. Still, she spoke openly enough of it, and if the girls had any questions or wished to know more, she resolved that she'd tell them.

When Nolana stood and fled the room, apologizing as she did, Eva shot Lily a confused look. When it seemed she didn't have any idea what had caused her sister to dash away, Eva leaned on her elbow to look out the door, sitting up when Lana returned with her parcel. "Oooh, that looks lovely," she said, admiring the pastry, but movement out of the corner of her eye caught her attention, and she noticed the note as it came to settle in front of Lily. "What's that, then?"

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lily rolled her eyes at the pair of women chiming in that they both knew what they were talking about and both were in agreement that Lex cared for her. She honestly did really fancy Lex, but she knew that she could wear her heart on her sleeve sometimes. It was a weakness of hers and she wanted desperately to change that most of the time. She blushed again as the two other women laughed and teased her more hiding her face in a nearby pillow before throwing it at Nolana with a laugh. She felt a bit bad that Nolana didn’t have someone like Lex or like Eva and Lord Hutchinson. She would one day, no doubt about that. Either with Sir Zander Kelley or someone else.

“That’s lovely none the less Eva. It doesn’t have to be a specific point; I was merely being nosy as I always am. As long as you’re happy, that’s all that matters.” Lily told her new friend with a smile as her sister suddenly jumped up and went to grab a box that had been delivered to her earlier. Lily watched with curiosity as she presented them with a large tomato tart that looked absolutely divine.

“This is beautiful Lana where did you get this at?” Lily asked curiously as she watched a small piece of parchment paper fly from the box and it landed at her feet. She quickly reached down to snatch it before Nolana could do it herself, “What is this Lana?” She asked curiously as she opened up the folded piece of paper with the seal opened. Glancing at the Remington crest on it, Lily raised an eyebrow as she read the letter and her eyes went wide.

“Lady Nolana,I am very sorry about the incident yesterday. Here is the tart I destroyed, with interest. Sincerely, Captain William Remington…Nolana! This is from the handsome brother of the Lady Callista is it not? Why did he send you tomato tarts and what incident is this about?!” Lily asked curiously with a practically giddy smile showing the letter to Eva with a smirk.

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ”That sounds so incredibly romantic,” Nolana sighed as she shared a smile with Eva. ”I am so happy for you. Like ‘Falling asleep’… That’s a wonderful way to put it.”

Reaching forward Nolana made for the note that had fluttered away but Lily was faster. Not that it really mattered; it was only a note and thankfully did not contain her awkwardly written reply. ” Its nothing, just an incident yester-,” Nolana began only to have her words mirrored as Lily read the note aloud. She blushed then and took a sip of her wine, before standing to retrieve a knife with which to cut the tart.

”We had a lull yesterday morning waiting for the batch and I was craving one of those tarts. The market was so packed and unruly.. Captain Remington, bless his heart, bumped in to me and I lost the box with the tart in it. They were out, and so I suppose he simply thought to send me two as an apology. That’s all, nothing else.” Returning to her seat, Nolana tugged the box close and cut the tart up into little, equal pieces. ”It will spoil if we do not eat it soon, and I would feel horrible if that happened.”

He had been an interesting sort and Nolana shrugged again as she recalled the awkward pairing. ”He is quite handsome, though… I do not think he converses with ladies much.”

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evangeline found watching the two Gyrtner sisters interacting to be quite amusing. She wondered if she and her siblings looked like that when they teased one another, although she had to note with some sadness that it had been a long time since they'd all been together to joke and talk and tease.

"It was certainly very nice of him to replace the lost tart, with interest," Evangeline commented with an amused smile. "Especially if it truly was an accident that saw the first ruined." It was a cute story, and spoke well of Captain Remington that he would go beyond the level of simply apologizing. "I don't think I've ever met this Captain Remington. He's of the same family that...?" Her voice trailed off, not wanting to speak the words lest they sound accusatory. She had heard of the Remington revolt, how nearly the entire family had risen up and attempted to overthrow the crown. She hadn't thought many of them were left alive, at this point; it seemed that fate itself had saw fit to punish the family for their misdeeds.

"So what is this Captain Remington like? Aside from clumsy, thoughtful, and handsome that is," she added.